TrashyPanda

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, doesn't sexualize teenage girls like the Persona games so the fanbase will have nothing to grasp on to.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
SMT IV is very similar to other SMT. Characters basically represent a moral alignment.

It's SMT IV Apocalypse and SMT Devil Survivor 1 and 2 that are the most Persona-like.

I haven't played A or DS but I do think there's something different with IV does it's cast compared to Nocture or SJ. They still follow the moral alignments but the way they interact with the protagonist is far more friendly and the way they are always around really hampers the atmosphere.

KoroEunectes

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I know what you are saying (as you are implying a mainline game not a spinoff like persona is)
but...

persona 3/4 were still SMT games :P
Persona was never SMT in Japan.
That was a Atlus West thing because they wanted all the games under one name.
Ever since Persona 4 Golden released on the Vita Atlus West has kept the names of the games the same as the JPN versions.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
As others have said P5's success wasn't just its own, the series has been building momentum since P3 and SMT doesn't really have that currently. I could see it being more of a P4/P4G equivalent and build a lot of goodwill and brand recognition, with the next game being a potential p5-like breakout.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
No. Persona has everything going for it to be a mass market RPG. The story the flashy menus and gameplay everything packed with attitude and design. It just pops.

SMT is great, just designed with a whole different mindset and focus

Jun 24, 2019
Yeah SMT stories are great but they're like (stay with me here) Dark Souls. It's a lot of themes and atmosphere, the characters are less likeable and less marketable which is why it will struggle to outsell Persona. Hell SMTIV tried to be more character focused and I think it's one of things that's holds that game back compared to SJ or Nocturne.

If marketable characters are a factor, why does Dark Souls have 27 million sales and Persona has 15 million. They are both very different franchises, but they market their games for different audiences.

SMT IV was popular because Atlus had their marketing game on.

SJ/Redux didn't sell successfully because Alus did jack shit. If there was a dub and advertise the game towards an international audience, considering you know, SJ does have an international cast. It would have sold more!

Nocturne didn't grab attention in the past because it was too niche of a JRPG at that time. For Noctunre HD, Atlus pushed the marketing, but due to mishaps it didn't do well. It's no understatement that if the re-release had no technical issues, introduced the desired QoL features from the start, and if they were nice enough to not removed the original credits, and sold it at a reasonable price. Nocturne HD would have sold better!

SMT IV Apoc had marketable characters but didn't do as well as SMT IV. In fact, the numbers were close to OG SJ and that game didn't have the pandering levels Apoc's did.

SMT-Sales-Chart-768x605.png

Source: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster Sells Over 250k Copies in Japan and Asia, Persona Central April 2021

All it boils down to is competence and putting more love into the series.

SMT V release date is looming closer and I am questioning why there aren't any trailers for the international audience. If the dub is behind on schedule and they plan to release it later as a patch, at least they could do is still promote the game.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Serious doubts if they keep in line with the other 4. Gonna be a nailbiting controller throwing pain in the ass. Quite excited.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I can't see the main character design being very popular outside of Japan. I hope to be wrong because it's certainly unique, but Persona 5 has a cast that's more easily relatable to westerners I think.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
If marketable characters are a factor, why does Dark Souls have 27 million sales and Persona has 15 million. They are both very different franchises, but they market their games for different audiences.

SMT IV was popular because Atlus had their marketing game on.

SJ/Redux didn't sell successfully because Alus did jack shit. If there was a dub and advertise the game towards an international audience, considering you know, SJ does have an international cast. It would have sold more!

Nocturne didn't grab attention in the past because it was too niche of a JRPG at that time. For Noctunre HD, Atlus pushed the marketing, but due to mishaps it didn't do well. It's no understatement that if the re-release had no technical issues, introduced the desired QoL features from the start, and if they were nice enough to not removed the original credits, and sold it at a reasonable price. Nocturne HD would have sold better!

SMT IV Apoc had marketable characters but didn't do as well as SMT IV. In fact, the numbers were close to OG SJ and that game didn't have the pandering levels Apoc's did.

SMT-Sales-Chart-768x605.png

Source: Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne HD Remaster Sells Over 250k Copies in Japan and Asia, Persona Central April 2021

All it boils down to is competence and putting more love into the series.

SMT V release date is looming closer and I am questioning why there aren't any trailers for the international audience. If the dub is behind on schedule and they plan to release it later as a patch, at least they could do is still promote the game.

I use to follow r/megaten when smt 4a, strange journey redux, devil survivor 1/2 rereleaes came out and it felt like atlus usa didn't really try to market the games to anyone but existing fans and smt 5 feels similar with how anemic the marketing has been

Jun 24, 2019
I use to follow r/megaten when smt 4a, strange journey redux, devil survivor 1/2 rereleaes came out and it felt like atlus usa didn't really try to market the games to anyone but existing fans and smt 5 feels similar with how anemic the marketing has been

That's exactly it and I've seen it across the web.

Compare AtlusWest's trailer output for P5 to SMT V/Nocturne HD/SJR/13 Sentinals/Etrian Odessey etc. There's a big gap of difference, enough proof of their bias.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so, but I also thought Dragon Quest XI was going to be a breakout game this time two years ago. It's gonna be infuriating that the more "traditional" JRPGs are more niche releases on a platform where games just sell in blazing fashion.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Most probably going to be the best selling SMT but it won't touch Persona, SMT setting is too obscure for that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's getting put out in front of a massive and very receptive audience. I don't know if it will quite go "mainstream" in the way that Persona has, but I do think it'll handily outperform past SMT games.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's exactly it and I've seen it across the web.

Compare AtlusWest's trailer output for P5 to SMT V/Nocturne HD/SJR/13 Sentinals/Etrian Odessey etc. There's a big gap of difference, enough proof of their bias.
The big difference is that Persona is focused as a multimedia franchise and SMT is not.

You have Persona video games, spin offs, anime, manga, merchandising, plays...

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
The big difference is that Persona is focused as a multimedia franchise and SMT is not.

those things come with popularity. just look at nier. it sold like shit but then nier automata blew up and now square is milking it from all directions

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt SMTV breaks out like Persona or even Fire Emblem since it doesn't have social links or romances. People eat that shit up

Jun 24, 2019

I am talking about the main releases. Compare the levels of marketing of P5/P5R with other titles. Atlus didn't expect P5 would break out huge numbers and it did. Why not pour into the same attitude for their other IPs?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I️ think it'll do well cuz stuff on the switch seems to do so and Nintendo seems to be pushing it a bit

idk if basing it on persona 5 MC makes any sense. 4 was good. 3 was good.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
"True Goddess Reincarnation 5" sounds way worse than "Shin Megami Tensei V".
I think the idea would be to go for something a little bit more oblique to the original name – something a little bit more market-focused. Kind of like how Drag-On Dragoon became Drakengard.

Atlus seemingly tried to do that with Persona 1, by trying to brand SMT as "Revelations", but I'm not sure if that's the best name.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am talking about the main releases. Compare the levels of marketing of P5/P5R with other titles. Atlus didn't expect P5 would break out huge numbers and it did. Why not pour into the same attitude for their other IPs?
Because Persona 5 was already planned to be milked as hell from its conception.

It is the difference between planning a franchise as multimedia and improvising a success.

That's why Persona 5 has things like waifus, easy-to-cosplay characters, and other features that Persona 5 lacks. Why do you think Persona introduces characters like Teddy and Morgana?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Persona is a more well-known name that carries a bit more prestige and hype with it. I don't think that SMT is big or as anticipated as people think it might be. Even if the game is popular and it's a breakout game for the series, it's not going to even come close to the numbers of what Persona 5 / Persona 5 Royal put up. It's honestly an unfair comparison.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I won't match P5 but I expect a similar multiplier over the previous game (P4G to P5, SMTIV to SMTV).

Oct 25, 2017
There is no chance it gets over a 90 just due to reviews seemingly haven gotten harder over the last few years, and due to there not being quite the same selection bias. The Persona reputation for being super long means that only reviewers that are super interested / loved previous games in the game will be selected to review for major publications.

SMT also has a problem with not being a typical JRPG. It gets lumped in with linear games with strong casts and central narratives and judged by those standards, even though it isn't any of those things.

I know what you are saying (as you are implying a mainline game not a spinoff like persona is)
but...
Shin_Megami_Tensei_Persona_4.jpg

persona 3/4 were still SMT games :P

I don't think persona 5 was ever actually tagged as a SMT game though but just as persona 5.

I bring this up, because it's far more interesting to entertain the idea of if this game could outsell persona 3 or 4. Though persona 4 on PC alone sold over a million copies so...
but at the same time... would those copies count?

store.steampowered.com

Save 40% on Persona 4 Golden on Steam

A coming of age story that sets the protagonist and his friends on a journey kickstarted by a chain of serial murders.

SMT has been stripped from the steam release completely so arguably those copies of persona 4 wouldn't count at all, they are no longer SMT games :P.
it was also stripped from the Vita release which really just leaves the ps2 copy for sales count as a SMT game :P

meanwhile every release of persona 3 kept the SMT tag on it even the psp version.

So there's a question... what's the odds SMT5 can outsell the versions of persona 3 or persona 4 that were labeled as SMT games

There isn't even the slightest doubt at all that SMT5 will outsell Persona 3 or the PS2 version of Persona 4. It isn't even remotely in question. Persona 4 Golden (no SMT in the Western title) is specifically where Persona blew up.

Jun 24, 2019
Because Persona 5 was already planned to be milked as hell from its conception.

It is the difference between planning a franchise as multimedia and improvising a success.

That's why Persona 5 has things like waifus, easy-to-cosplay characters, and other features that Persona 5 lacks. Why do you think Persona introduces characters like Teddy and Morgana?

Well that's obvious, but it doesn't justify the lack of marketing for their other IPs. They complain about why those titles (SMT, Radiant Historia, DeSu...) don't sell well and then they go "Oh I know let's add a waifu, more lolis, and add a dash of wish fulfillment" and BONK! The re-release does poor numbers!

The real reason is that they lack focus.

1. Know what audience is attracted to what genres
2. Not sell a game when a console is dying
3. Have better quality assurance
4. Do not rush development

I don't believe SMT V will reach P5 levels of success, but if Atlus want SMT to do well they seriously need to revise their marketing strategy and be more committed to doing so.

Oct 7, 2021
I'm sorry but no

it has none of the style of persona, I love anime and feel like over the years I've gotten a pretty good understanding of what is palatable in the West and what isn't. Shin megami has a self seriousness to it's style that is going to alienate a lot of people in the West, far more generic in its representation

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
There isn't even the slightest doubt at all that SMT5 will outsell Persona 3 or the PS2 version of Persona 4. It isn't even remotely in question. Persona 4 Golden (no SMT in the Western title) is specifically where Persona blew up.
Fair enough. I don't actually know what the numbers were for persona 3/4 were, I just know that at least in NA they did decently better than most of the other SMT games, and that I was the only person I knew that owned Devil summoner or digital devil, megaten 3, but plenty of other people had persona 3 and 4.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didn't follow things *that* closely (and has yet to get around to playing 5!), was Persona 5 really more of a breakout hit than P3 was for the series?

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didn't follow things *that* closely (and has yet to get around to playing 5!), was Persona 5 really more of a breakout hit than P3 was for the series?

Yes, and it isn't particularly close. Persona 3 crushed expectations in the West because Persona 2 sold, like, 20k copies or something ridiculiously small. But Persona 5 is as far as I recall Atlus' best selling game (that they developed), by like 2x or something insane.

Persona 3 had a really weird shortage problem because it came with the stupid stupid art book, so it took until FES was released to really address the supply issue.

P4G was a huge breakout as well, as that is I think the best selling Vita game?

Jun 24, 2019
I love anime and feel like over the years I've gotten a pretty good understanding of what is palatable in the West and what isn't. Shin megami has a self seriousness to it's style that is going to alienate a lot of people in the West, far more generic in its representation

And there haven't been any "self-serious animes" that boomed in popularity in recent years? Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, there's Chainsaw Man on the horizon!!

SMT is a very anime JRPG series, it's just not the generic type to attract the common folk.

Yes, and it isn't particularly close. Persona 3 crushed expectations in the West because Persona 2 sold, like, 20k copies or something ridiculiously small. But Persona 5 is as far as I recall Atlus' best selling game (that they developed), by like 2x or something insane.

Persona 3 had a really weird shortage problem because it came with the stupid stupid art book, so it took until FES was released to really address the supply issue.

The P3 remakes did, not the original P3. P4 was the one that got the momentum going and P5 blew it up.

Source: A Graphic of Overall Persona Series Physical Game Sales in Japan for February 2020, Persona Central Feb 2021

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I think the prep work that Atlus did with Persona 4 when they started pushing the series as a multimedia thing with spin-offs, movies and anime series really helped setup Persona 5 for massive success. I don't see any of that with SMT5 - I imagine it'll sell better than previous entries since it looks like a good game & some of the new fans that Persona 5 brought will give it a try, but I don't think SMT5 will make SMT mainstream.

Also, I think "Cool Harry Potter and his awesome teenage friends with superpowers against the evils of society" has more widespread appeal than "Mortal turns into an androgynous demigod and I think everybody else is probably going to turn into some sort of Lovecraftian monstrosity and going to try to kill them at some point."

There was also a massive increase in production values between Persona 4 & 5 that I don't think SMT5 has. Persona 5 looked like it was on the lower-end of the AAA scale, whereas SMT5 looks more mid-budget.

Persona 3 reviewed well, but wasn't an amazing seller. Basically, Persona 1 sold well, then there was a decline in sales with the sequels and then the series went on hiatus. When the series was revived with P3 & 4 the sales slowly started to go up, and then the series exploded in popularity, especially overseas, with Persona 5.

Oct 7, 2021
And there haven't been any "self-serious animes" that boomed in popularity in recent years? Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Jujutsu Kaisen, there's Chainsaw Man on the horizon!!

SMT is a very anime JRPG series, it's just not the generic type to attract the common folk.

The P3 remakes did, not the original P3. P4 was the one that got the momentum going and P5 blew it up.

Source: A Graphic of Overall Persona Series Physical Game Sales in Japan for February 2020, Persona Central Feb 2021

that isn't a real comparison. Both demon slayer, jujutsu kaisen, and chainsaw man have very very radicle styles and animation. Also, Jujutsu kaisen is not THAT self serious. Literally has a Jojo's character in it, one of the most powerful players has a move called boogie woogie, jazzy beats, smooth cuts, kind of bleach inspired clothing design, a lot of comedic levity in general. I mean if you are a manga reader it is clear JJK is becoming increasingly zanier in a lot of regards. Demon slayer which I honestly think is overrated uninspired trash managed to trick a lot of people because of how artistically unique it is in setting, battle animation, etc. One of the main crew is literally a dude running around with a boar head. Chainsaw man I mean I shouldn't even have to go into that one, it's in the name.

Shin megami tensei is going to look far more typical anime to a Western audience then any of those three. What I mean by self serious isn't that it is a super super serious plot/story, but that it takes it's typical anime tropings too seriously (more like the irregular at magic highschool anime type of self serious) and the artistic design itself is incredibly uninspired outside of the monsters, which most people know through Persona. So again, it is basically going to come across as persona without the style in the West imo

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021
Don't really agree with people saying Persona 5 looking more dynamic. It had a great art style but it looked very strongly like a PS3 game. No matter how good you think it was, it was no AAA game. The reason SMT V won't do as well despite still doing great is waifu appeal.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps in some countries. I would definitely not get this game if this weird and often creepy pandering was included.

I can not play Fire Emblem anymore because of this and I hated Xenoblade 2 (even so Xeno1 and XenoX are two of the greatest RPGs ever).

Anyway SMTV is on Switch and many series have had their biggest success on this console.
Which countries would "some countries" be referring to in this context?

Yes, there are series that have had their most successful installments to date on Switch, with Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Xenoblade 2 both being examples of those. I can believe that Shin Megami Tensei V will likely be the most successful mainline SMT to date, but it'll still fall far short of Persona 5's overall recognition.
I think the idea would be to go for something a little bit more oblique to the original name – something a little bit more market-focused. Kind of like how Drag-On Dragoon became Drakengard.

Atlus seemingly tried to do that with Persona 1, by trying to brand SMT as "Revelations", but I'm not sure if that's the best name.
Persona 1 was never SMT in the first place as opposed to Megami Ibunroku.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
No but it's not supposed to. It's just supposed to be a good, fun game that meets Atlus' expectations that are mostly focused on the JP market.

Son of Sparda

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super excited about the game and I'll be there day one, but no.

I don't think SMT has the wider appeal of Persona. For better or worse, it feels like SMT is targeted at a more focused/niche audience, compared to Persona.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I feel like the people who are saying Persona didn't get popular until P5 or P4G or whatever are just basing that on their own experience of when they got in. As someone who was into this series when the PS2 games were coming out, trust me when I say Persona was always leagues above anything else in popularity. I knew plenty of people in High School and in College who were obsessed with P3/P4 but had no idea what any other SMT game was and had very little interest.

Even when SMT IV was coming out, if I brought it up people thought I was talking about Persona 4, they just knew "Shin Megami Tensei Persona".
And that's just talking about in person. Online it was even bigger. The resentment felt by particularly silly branches of the SMT fanbase towards Persona's popularity started way before 5. Now, P5 is definitely the most popular entry to date for sure, but it's inaccurate to say it wasn't popular before it. The series "blew up" with P3 and then "blew up more" with P5.

As for if SMT V is going to have that moment? Probably not, no. Edgy apocalypse drama doesn't sell as well as character-driven anime romance pop. That's why it's so frustrating to some that Atlus is trying to make SMT more mainstream. It'll never be.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think so. I think it will be a quality game, don't get me wrong, but the name alone "Shin Megami Tensei" just isn't marketable enough to achieve break-out success.

I honestly think they did a disservice to the series by not doing more to localize the title.

Edit - looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the name holds it back. Kind of sad that they did not brand it better.

Nov 1, 2017
It is exactly what I want from a new SMT. AKA it probably doesn't have massive weeb appeal with waifu romance like Persona does. It probably won't sell as well as P5 for that reason but who cares? It doesn't have to do that to be a good game that sells very well