Nov 1, 2017
I'm absolutely confused on how some people think Persona 5 looks better when it objectively doesn't considering it's a PS3 game at heart.
Don't underestimate how much people are obsessed with anything anime related lol - Persona blew up because it is SMT but even more appealing to anime fans. So its super anime (Persona) vs somewhat anime (SMT5), so if you eat anime for breakfast, lunch and dinner then I can see why Persona looks more appealing

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
- Strange Journey is NOT a spin-off. It is a non-numbered mainline entry. It was considered SMT IV during development and only wasn't given the number in the end because it wasn't set in Japan. It's called "Shin Megami Tensei" in Japan, whereas Soul Hackers is part of the "Devil Summoner" branch. If SMT If is considered mainline (which it is), so is Strange Journey.

- Your point about sales is inconsistent and nonsensical to me. You say that SMT IV selling 96k proves that Persona wasn't more popular and the series overall was getting popular, but you also gave the numbers for Strange Journey and Soul Hackers as 28k and 26k, which is a huge decrease from P3 FES at 154k and P4 at 123k. What you're suggesting here just isn't backed up by your own evidence. 154,000 is a much bigger number than 26,000. Persona 3 FES sold 6x as much than those two games. Your hypothesis that your provided numbers shows Persona as not being more popular is just wrong.

- Okay so, "Physical US Sales via NPD", you said something about leaks, right? What time frame is that looking at? Launch window or lifetime? I honestly don't know. I admitted earlier that I don't know the source of these sales numbers, I don't really get caught up in stuff like that. I do know that Persona 4 sold 359k on the PS2 and 324k on Vita in Japan, and in America it was the best selling game on Amazon for two weeks. I don't dig much deeper than those base Wikipedia level facts because, as I've said several times, I do value the experiences I've had more than that. And I saw tons of Persona cosplay, merch, and conversation during that era. I didn't see anyone showing up in Strange Journey cosplay or trying to talk about Devil Survivor outside of the specific SMT fanbase. It's honestly... baffling to me someone would suggest that Persona wasn't huge for Atlus at the time and far more popular than SMT. That's been accepted by Atlus fans the entire time.

But you've got those leaked numbers or whatever, so let me provide my own piece of evidence. Google trends. I think that's a pretty accurate representation of what is "popular", moreso than leaked sales numbers with a bunch of asterisks next to them.

Let's compare how often people search for "Persona 3", "Persona 4", "Strange Journey", and "Shin Megami Tensei IV". To make it even fairer, we can start from 2008, years after Persona 3 first came out. We'll do 2008-2015, so it covers the launches of Strange Journey and SMT IV, but cuts off before Persona 5 comes out.

Something tells me you already know what the results are going to be because if you were in this fanbase during those years deep down you have to know that Persona was way more popular, but here we go either way.

ByRILeK.png

Strange Journey and SMT IV both came close to almost being talked about as much very briefly when they launched before immediately dropping to almost nothing while Persona 3 and 4 never stopped being talked about the entire time.

I rest my case, I'm officially done with this back and forth.
Persona has always been more popular and was always the big hit for Atlus from the moment P3 hit the scene. Was even moreso when P4 hit. Even moreso when P4G hit. And even moreso when P5 hit. It gets more popular each time. SMT never comes close.
Not officially done yet. Let's look at your points.

-Wrong. Strange Journey was a spinoff from the start.

-Again, you're comparing spinoffs to mainlines. Also, I didn't say Persona wasn't more popular than SMT, I just said not incomparably so. The numbers show that looking at the progression from P1-2 (30-40k) to Nocturne (60k) to P3-4 (100-150k) to SMTIV (100k in 6 months, without digital) and then we had P5 go crazy. P5 is what an actual "blowing up" looks like.

-NPD leaks because they don't give out these numbers without a subscription. With a little googling you can find all the numbers I posted though, there's tons of historical leaks. Based on the sources I found those are lifetime US sales unless I listed a year, then it's through that year.

Another fun number, Trauma Center sold 225k (through 2009) in the US. That was actually pretty huge for Atlus if you want to get an idea. How many TC cosplayers did you run into from 2006-2013 or whenever?

-lol Google trends. Yes, I'm sure search terms are a better representation than sales when looking at franchise viability.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Don't underestimate how much people are obsessed with anything anime related lol - Persona blew up because it is SMT but even more appealing to anime fans. So its super anime (Persona) vs somewhat anime (SMT5), so if you eat anime for breakfast, lunch and dinner then I can see why Persona looks more appealing

But just being anime as fuck doesn't make a game look better visually.

Just say you like it has waifus and the social elements or whatever because it doesn't look better visually. Persona 5 is limited scope wise if we are being honest. Doesn't make it a bad game, but it's not as big of a budget as some make it out to be.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Not officially done yet. Let's look at your points.

-Wrong. Strange Journey was a spinoff from the start.

-Again, you're comparing spinoffs to mainlines. Also, I didn't say Persona wasn't more popular than SMT, I just said not incomparably so. The numbers show that looking at the progression from P1-2 (30-40k) to Nocturne (60k) to P3-4 (100-150k) to SMTIV (100k in 6 months, without digital) and then we had P5 go crazy. P5 is what an actual "blowing up" looks like.

-NPD leaks because they don't give out these numbers without a subscription. With a little googling you can find all the numbers I posted though, there's tons of historical leaks. Based on the sources I found those are lifetime US sales unless I listed a year, then it's through that year.

Another fun number, Trauma Center sold 225k (through 2009) in the US. That was actually pretty huge for Atlus if you want to get an idea. How many TC cosplayers did you run into from 2006-2013 or whenever?

-lol Google trends. Yes, I'm sure search terms are a better representation than sales when looking at franchise viability.

No, I am officially done. You're still only counting Strange Journey and Soul Hackers when it works for your argument but then ignoring them when it doesn't. And the work you're doing here to try and make SMT IV look comparable to P3/P4 is hilarious but blatant. I'll pass on more of this. Also yes google trends is incredibly accurate in determining which thing is more popular between two things. But it doesn't support your ridiculous claims so "lol Google trends".

Only reason I'm responding now is because you brought up Trauma Center, which I originally had a whole section about in a previous post but cut because I felt it was irrelevant. But, yes, Trauma Center was huge. I talked to tons of people who were super into Trauma Center during the DS and Wii era, it had Nintendo fans in more than Atlus fans. It hit diminishing returns pretty fast though, which I think was it's main problem. I didn't know ANYONE beside myself that bought Trauma Team. Meanwhile Persona kept getting more popular with each release.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Persona 5's success was predictable. P4 was a slow burn. P4 Golden was basically the only thing that ever made any real waves after Vita's launch. You could see the breakthrough coming. SMTV will do good niche business but Persona has punched through into the mainstream in a way that I don't think Shin Megami Tensei proper will ever do. The slice of life/social link system just has way more mainstream appeal.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
How big was Liberation Dx2? Wondering if it's success would carry over to a full price game? Probably not.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
No, I am officially done. You're still only counting Strange Journey and Soul Hackers when it works for your argument but then ignoring them when it doesn't. And the work you're doing here to try and make SMT IV look comparable to P3/P4 is hilarious but blatant. I'll pass on more of this. Also yes google trends is incredibly accurate in determining which thing is more popular between two things. But it doesn't support your ridiculous claims so "lol Google trends".

Only reason I'm responding now is because you brought up Trauma Center, which I originally had a whole section about in a previous post but cut because I felt it was irrelevant. But, yes, Trauma Center was huge. I talked to tons of people who were super into Trauma Center during the DS and Wii era, it had Nintendo fans in more than Atlus fans. It hit diminishing returns pretty fast though, which I think was it's main problem. I didn't know ANYONE beside myself that bought Trauma Team. Meanwhile Persona kept getting more popular with each release.
I mean, I included SJ and SH because I was including everything semi-relevant I found. I also included some PS1 and PSP Persona 1-2 numbers which you freaked out about. Context matters though and Strange Journey just isn't equivalent to a numbered entry, while Soul Hackers is really a different subseries (and sold pretty well for what it is tbh). The point in those sales was just to give a fuller picture, just like Persona PSP. Giving further context on SMTIV isn't trying to do anything but give context, especially as I did it because you attributed some of those sales to the eShop FE Awakening promo deal (the reality was the opposite there). The numbers are just the numbers, even if they don't support your club or con memories.

And sorry, Google analytics, at least the public facing ones, are pretty useless for gauging much. Might as well start bringing in Youtube trailer viewsor whatever metric, it's extra humorous you'd do that after dismissing real sales data.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
I'm absolutely confused on how some people think Persona 5 looks better when it objectively doesn't considering it's a PS3 game at heart. SMT V looks to be a big leaps for SMT and Atlus in general.
Well, as someone who thinks both P5 and SMT V look good in their own ways, I can understand it honestly.

Persona 5 has a very striking and distinctive style that isn't captured by posting shots of just the 3D models standing around in their environments. Nobody ever claimed the game looked like some AAA Sony exclusive big budget game, it had nothing to do with it being a "PS3 game". It has everything to do with style and presentation, and I feel that Persona 5 captured something that really spoke to people there.

SMT V meanwhile looks really good on a technical level thanks in some part to the Unreal Engine, but outside of "long glowing blue hair" it's not really showing us anything from a style or presentation sense that we haven't gotten from SMT before. It's a different kind of impressive and one that I just don't think feels as fresh or striking to a lot of people. I don't quite see people losing their minds over how cool the menus are in SMT V, you know? I mean compare how unique and customized to the experience the battle UI of P5 is compared to... oh, it's just the TMS battle UI being reused... big green circles, huh?

Also let's not pretend the Switch is THAT much more powerful than a PS3. lol

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as someone who thinks both P5 and SMT V look good in their own ways, I can understand it honestly.

Persona 5 has a very striking and distinctive style that isn't captured by posting shots of just the 3D models standing around in their environments. Nobody ever claimed the game looked like some AAA Sony exclusive big budget game, it had nothing to do with it being a "PS3 game". It has everything to do with style and presentation, and I feel that Persona 5 captured something that really spoke to people there.

SMT V meanwhile looks really good on a technical level thanks in some part to the Unreal Engine, but outside of "long glowing blue hair" it's not really showing us anything from a style or presentation sense that we haven't gotten from SMT before. It's a different kind of impressive and one that I just don't think feels as fresh or striking to a lot of people. I don't quite see people losing their minds over how cool the menus are in SMT V, you know? I mean compare how unique and customized to the experience the battle UI of P5 is compared to... oh, it's just the TMS battle UI being reused... big green circles, huh?

Also let's not pretend the Switch is THAT much more powerful than a PS3. lol

It is tho

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely not. The Persona series gained a level of mass appeal with the introduction of social links in Persona 3 that SMT just cant compete with.

Not that I think it does need to compete with it. They are two different series, each doing its own thing.

TheRealMoB

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 1, 2020
I'm absolutely confused on how some people think Persona 5 looks better when it objectively doesn't considering it's a PS3 game at heart. SMT V looks to be a big leaps for SMT and Atlus in general.

Because people dont know the difference between art style and graphics. Sure you might prefer the style that P5 has but SMT V objectively is technically better from a graphics standpoint

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
PS3 to Switch is like a half gen step up in raw performance, but with a much more modern shader arch and like 8x the memory to play with. The latter's why Switch can handle scaled conversions that PS3 couldn't dream of like TW3 or Doom Eternal. Even old ports from PS3 usually run significantly better on Switch without much trouble (Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, etc). It's sort of like saying Vita wasn't much more powerful than Dreamcast or something.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
From the previews, SMTV just isn't as slick of full of capital V Vibes like Persona 5.

I think it isn't as eye-catching at first glance (character models aside).

We'll see though. I hope the game is good and that it does well.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Took me a second to realized you were only responding to the dumb thing in the spoilers and not the actual post.

But I mean, the PS3 has Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid V, Dragon Age Inquisition, and The Last of Us. If you want to be really generous I would say that the Switch is somewhere between the PS3 and PS4. But that's getting too close to dumb console war shit. The point is that it's not we're talking about the difference between a PS3 and a modern PC pushing 4K 60fps. So going "but Persona 5 was a PS3 game" doesn't really mean much when it's being compared to the Switch.

Again, though, my point was that the style and presentation are more important than all of that anyway, and P5 was doing something fresh.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Come to think about it, is SMT still the only 'big' JRPG series without an English name?

Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Xenoblade
Fire Emblem
Atelier
Tales of
Trails of
Persona

....Shin Megami Tensei

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 5 being a PS3 game just means Switch could run it somewhat better than PS3 did. Probably a jump from 720p to 1080p docked, a stable 30fps and eliminating the constant screen tear on PS3 going by other last gen ports to Switch. It'd basically run like it does on PS4/Pro, maybe with lower res shadow maps or some other minor effect difference.

Come to think about it, is SMT still the only 'big' JRPG series without an English name?

Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Xenoblade
Fire Emblem
Atelier
Tales of
Trails of
Persona

....Shin Megami Tensei
Maybe Suikoden (RIP) and Ni No Kuni. Can't think of any others offhand?

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It also probably won't deserve to sell badly like TWEWY 2 did since it seems like it will be a good game.

Not as good as 4: Apocalypse, but all signs point towards it being good.
Torn on this post. Shitting on neo twewy, def my goty, but also recognizing SMT4 A as great.

I dunno how to respond to this.

EXMaster

Oct 28, 2017
I doubt it, but it doesn't have to. Let SMT do it's own thing. Not everything needs to be a breakthrough mainstream success to be valid. It's shown that it can eat enough to satisfy Atlus, that's what really matters in the end so they would feel they can keep making more.

Aside from the social link/dating stuff that's been mentioned, Persona has a ton of spinoff games, anime, merchandise, even stage plays, to keep it seen in the public eye. Altus treats it like a property with mainstream appeal with how they constantly milk the hell out of it.

Meanwhile, SMT get new entries years apart from each other, and nothing really in between. At least they bother to keep the SMT mainline branch going, the other spinoffs, like Devil Summoner, Digital Devil Saga and such, have dropped off the face of the Earth. If you look at it today, you'd probably say that Persona was the main series, and mainline SMT was the sub series for the more "mature" niche crowd. You'd wouldn't realize that there used to be a whole bunch of other SMT spinoffs back then.

That said, there a good chance it could be the best selling SMT game. The RPG audience is there for Switch since they came out for stuff like Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem: 3H. I see SMTV as being that next big pure JRPG (Pokemon is kinda it's own thing now, so I'm not sure they will conflict each other as much as people think). It all depends on how well (or not) Atlus/Sega and Nintendo market and support it. If I were them, I would consider doing the voucher thing that they did in the US for SMTIV and FE Awakening, and just apply it to FE:3H and SMTV. That seemed to do a lot to help SMTIV sales and to cross promote.

Oct 26, 2017
But I mean, the PS3 has Persona 5, Metal Gear Solid V, Dragon Age Inquisition, and The Last of Us. If you want to be really generous I would say that the Switch is somewhere between the PS3 and PS4. But that's getting too close to dumb console war shit. The point is that it's not we're talking about the difference between a PS3 and a modern PC pushing 4K 60fps. So going "but Persona 5 was a PS3 game" doesn't really mean much when it's being compared to the Switch.

Again, though, my point was that the style and presentation are more important than all of that anyway, and P5 was doing something fresh.
That's not being really generous. That's exactly where the Switch is; a halfway point between the PS3 and PS4. Higher end Switch games and PS4/XB1 downports more or less show just that. It's basically what you'd get out of a Vita 2. If we're comparing P5 and SMT V, I'd argue the latter looks much more modern, even if it's art style is not quite as stylish. P5, in many ways, gives me PS2/early PS3 vibes with how limited a lot of it feels when it comes to its camera, areas, animation, and movement. It just made up for it elsewhere

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
In regards to the discussion about whether SMTV is too self-serious or not, this just dropped:

I am not actually involved in this argument, I just saw it and was reminded of the thread, lol.

Oct 7, 2021
okay you loss me

If you played a number of SMT games, you'd be aware there are numerous goofy moments.

Believe it or not, "boogie woogie" is one of Raidou's movesets thats in Nocturne. You do a dance off with zombie Jackson in SMT II, you get high in SMT IV and SJ has Anthony!! Anthony!!

Art is the beholder of the eye but come on...the tone of trailer is obviously hinting it's not going to be like a persona game. And Nocturne is radical in art style, the MC in SMT V looks anime as fuck.

How "anime" do people want their JRPGs to be? Wish fufillment, cute waifus, emasculated bros??? There's so many JRPGs out there that offer that stuff. Not every JRPG should be expected to be like Persona nor should the standards of anime.
I just don't really agree, maybe radical but not unique like all of the animes posted above. The protagonists look like typical anime protagonists, the world looks like a wasteland w typical anime aesthetics, etc......nocturne is nocturne we've seen enough of shin megami 5 though. I just don't think it is going to grasp a western market like persona can, looks more like a scarlet nexus then a persona in the ways that matter imo

I mean I'd love to be wrong, and the Switch generates a lot of sales so who knows, but a persona 5 release on Switch would perform head and shoulders above imo even as a rerelease

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Critically, I can't see it matching P5, but I would love to see it hit the high 80s or perhaps the low 90s. I think high 80s is more likely though. Sales-wise, I know it's just my circle of friends/coworkers, but nobody really cares. I love Persona, but SMT4 didn't really click for me, and I'm buying SMT5 out of this sense of optimism that this installment will be the one that does.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I'm sure YouTube advertising is fairly cheap but I was still surprised to see SMTV getting ads as of a few weeks ago. Hopefully this game does see a good boost for the series, I can't get into these or Persona but I'll give this one another chance since it looks so good.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't really agree, maybe radical but not unique like all of the animes posted above. The protagonists look like typical anime protagonists, the world looks like a wasteland w typical anime aesthetics, etc......nocturne is nocturne we've seen enough of shin megami 5 though. I just don't think it is going to grasp a western market like persona can, looks more like a scarlet nexus then a persona in the ways that matter imo

I mean I'd love to be wrong, and the Switch generates a lot of sales so who knows, but a persona 5 release on Switch would perform head and shoulders above imo even as a rerelease

Brah what anime have you been watching lmaoooo. Like I've been watching anime for a long ass time and a lot of the settings are located in high school and have power of friendship just like Persona lol (Not to say the entire medium is like that because it is not, but it does foster a lot of material like that). Your post doesn't really make any sense considering a lot of things in Persona have are in the medium like school, the protags design, and social interaction like a harem, and power of friendship type beat.

Like I can't think of many anime series that are similar to SMT than say Persona.

fu8kkqa8k1771.jpg

How does this look like a typical anime design compared to Joker? Nothing about SMT is typical anime and even then you aren't really specifying what you mean by anime considering it's a medium, not a genre. What is typical anime lol?

Jroc

Jun 9, 2018
Persona is to SMT what Forza Horizon is to Forza Motorsport. Liking one in no way guarantees that you will like the other.

Ask a stereotypical SMT fan what they dislike about Persona and you'll probably hear things like:

"I don't like the lighter atmosphere"
"I don't like the simpler mechanics"
"I don't like the teenage high-school setting"
"I don't like the social/waifu/anime stuff"

Now ask a stereotypical Persona fan what they like about Persona and they'll probably read that same list off as positives.

I don't see SMT blowing up in the same way that Persona did because it's completely different outside of the lore and basic combat mechanics. Persona on some level can connect with most people because the high school setting is relatable and the IRL setting is unique. SMT on the other hand is way weirder and geared towards hard-core JRPG fans compared to those who like a good anime story.

Full disclosure I only played SMT3.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Anything called 'Shin Megami Tensei' is gonna have trouble breaking out in the West, it's really as simple as that.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Persona series has the sex appeal, hip music, catchy style...I think these elements motivated the series to go over the top and reach wider mainstream interest. SMTV isn't going to have those qualities, so it won't be as big.

Jun 24, 2019
It is. Even though I said that, I do like the atmosphere of the mainline SMT games I've played other than Nocturne. Still, I think they do a lot more with world building and characterization to make things before the endgame matter more.

Strange Journey was the best imo, but that game was always going to have limited appeal due to how it looked and played, and I have no idea what the remake did to it.

Fair enough, I do agree with SJ's limited appeal but damn did Atlus threw the bucket for not promoting the game more in the west.

Oct 7, 2021
Brah what anime have you been watching lmaoooo. Like I've been watching anime for a long ass time and a lot of the settings are located in high school and have power of friendship just like Persona lol (Not to say the entire medium is like that because it is not, but it does foster a lot of material like that). Your post doesn't really make any sense considering a lot of things in Persona have are in the medium like school, the protags design, and social interaction like a harem, and power of friendship type beat.

Like I can't think of many anime series that are similar to SMT than say Persona.

fu8kkqa8k1771.jpg

How does this look like a typical anime design compared to Joker? Nothing about SMT is typical anime and even then you aren't really specifying what you mean by anime considering it's a medium, not a genre.
you literally just posted art work. C'mon man. The lack of effort makes me not want to respond but fine, I will.

there is a very very clear difference between this

Persona-5-Compare_09-07-16_003.jpg

and this
shin-megami-tensei-v-850x478.jpg

even as someone who loves anime and can understand that tensei 5 isn't just generic trash, imo it's going to be much harder for it to distinguish itself among Western audiences then a series like persona, which is way more stylized, way more unique, does not look like typical anime. Look at scarlet nexus which people loved but largely was ignored and even the people who loved it where like "suppeer anime"

Scarletnexus_Screenshot_2021.07.06_-_14.10.02.86.png

like c'mon, deserted wasteland w more serious lookin characters and a heavy anime aesthetic is like, not really hard to find. If you're telling me you can't see the difference between persona and these two nothin else I can do, I'm not an artist I just have eye balls. Imo that difference plays a huge factor in how much the West tolerates persona

....."Brah" lmao

Last edited:

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
you literally just posted art work. C'mon man. The lack of effort makes me not want to respond but fine, I will.

and this

even as someone who loves anime and can understand that tensei 5 isn't just generic trash, imo it's going to be much harder for it to distinguish itself among Western audiences then a series like persona, which is way more stylized, way more unique, does not look like typical anime. Look at scarlet nexus which people loved but largely was ignored and even the people who loved it where like "suppeer anime"

like c'mon, deserted wasteland w more serious lookin characters and a heavy anime aesthetic is like, not really hard to find. If you're telling me you can't see the difference between persona and these two nothin else I can do, I'm not an artist I just have eye balls. Imo that difference plays a huge factor in how much the West tolerates persona

You literally cherry-picked the worst shot of SMT V to make it look bad lol. While you picked a good shot of Persona to push your narrative.

gJfzY0.gif

gJfLwM.gif

gJfvSA.png

gJfShD.jpg

gJfPqx.jpg

Like you are seriously doing a disservice to the game by cherry-picking so that you can push your narrative. Like I could do the same by picking this picture of Persona 5 here.

gJfU21.jpg

Here Persona 5 looks nothing special and just typical anime that you like to use apparently.

Jun 24, 2019

Bro, you're going off tangent. We weren't talking about P5 performing on the switch. Regarding what you said about Nocturne, I don't know what obscure JRPGs you've experienced but to imply Nocturne's art direction to be "generic". Wow that's a statement I thought I would never hear XD

Every JRPG look like a typical anime protagonists tho...what makes the Persona portags "less animu" than the SMT protags?? Sure, you're not humouring me lol and what's wrong with wasteland settings?

Okay in all seriousness, SMT is not your thing and you sway towards slice of life and isekai stuff. Kewl to know

giphy.gif

Oct 7, 2021
You literally cherry-picked the worst shot of SMT V to make it look bad lol. While you picked a good shot of Persona to push your narrative.

gJfzY0.gif

gJfLwM.gif

gJfvSA.png

gJfShD.jpg

gJfPqx.jpg

Like you are seriously doing a disservice to the game by cherry-picking so that you can push your narrative. Like I could do the same by picking this picture of Persona 5 here.

gJfU21.jpg

Here Persona 5 looks nothing special and just typical anime that you like to use apparently.

Really using a ps3 screen shot?

No, nothing you posted disproves my point. Persona 5 still oozes of a more unique, low def/jazzy style that shin megami tensei just does not have. I'd say all but one of the shots you posted prove my point just as evenly as the shot I posted, and the one shot you posted where it looks less typical anime is obfuscated by the fact that she is literally looking at the sky. If you don't see it you don't see it, but I've been watching anime for like 24 years now, I have both scared off and gotten many people into it, have a pretty good sense of what Westerners find more palletable imo. Edgy cyber girl running around a deserted wasteland is not nearly as interesting as persona 5 which has very very strong artistic direction from the font, shading, menus, music, etc. Even in the shot you posted, it still doesn't come close to looking like scarlet nexus or what most people would consider more typical anime, shin megami 5 does. You can disagree but you can't say I haven't been clear, if you don't get it you just dont get it

Nov 19, 2019

and this

....."Brah" lmao
Just wanna say as someone who loves SMT and prefers it to Persona: I agree with your analysis and also am surprised to see how much pushback you are getting.

Pedantic arguments about the definition of anime aside: Persona 5 stylistically pops in a way few games do--anime or otherwise--and as a result is attractive to lots of people who might not traditionally be into these kinds of games. SMT V ain't doing that.

Oct 7, 2021
Bro, you're going off tangent. We weren't talking about P5 performing on the switch. Regarding what you said about Nocturne, I don't know what obscure JRPGs you've experienced but to imply Nocturne's art direction to be "generic". Wow that's a statement I thought I would never hear XD

Every JRPG look like a typical anime protagonists tho...what makes the Persona portags "less animu" than the SMT protags?? Sure, you're not humouring me lol and what's wrong with wasteland settings?

Okay in all seriousness, SMT is not your thing and you sway towards slice of life and isekai stuff. Kewl to know

giphy.gif
Didn't say nocturne was generic, I said shin megami tensei 5 is clearly more generic to a western audience then something like persona 5. Shin Megami is very much my thing, I like anime and don't mind more typical looking anime games. If you can't see it from the screenshots I posted I don't know what to say, persona like all the animes listed above is just much more stylized then shin megami 5 is. Shin megami 5's style is far more typical. People consider scarlet nexus as typical anime as possible here in the West if you followed the discourse around it even a little bit, Shin megami 5 looks much more like that. There is no world in which Shin megami 5 is going to sell even close to the 5 mil that persona 5 and persona Royal managed to sell and imo a large part of that is artistic direction, not just slife of life aspects and the like

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Really using a ps3 screen shot?

No, nothing you posted disproves my point. Persona 5 still oozes of a more unique, low def/jazzy style that shin megami tensei just does not have. I'd say all but one of the shots you posted prove my point just as evenly as the shot I posted, and the one shot you posted where it looks less typical anime is obfuscated by the fact that she is literally looking at the sky. If you don't see it you don't see it, but I've been watching anime for like 24 years now, I have both scared off and gotten many people into it, have a pretty good sense of what Westerners find more palletable imo. Edgy cyber girl running around a deserted wasteland is not nearly as interesting as persona 5 which has very very strong artistic direction from the font, shading, menus, music, etc. Even in the shot you posted, it still doesn't come close to looking like scarlet nexus or what most people would consider more typical anime, shin megami 5 does. You can disagree but you can't say I haven't been clear, if you don't get it you just dont get it
You do know that there are more areas than the desert right.

Also, people like anime for different reasons which is why it has a diverse selection of series. Your usage of typical anime doesn't make any sense considering that Persona is similar to the usual LN adaptions that come out in anime that focuses heavily on wish fulfillment. You do understand that right? Nothing about Persona is unique when it comes to Jrpgs.

Oct 7, 2021
You do know that there are more areas than the desert right.

Also, people like anime for different reasons which is why it has a diverse selection of series. Your usage of typical anime doesn't make any sense considering that Persona is similar to the usual LN adaptions that come out in anime that focuses heavily on wish fulfillment. You do understand that right? Nothing about Persona is unique when it comes to Jrpgs.
You clearly just don't get it. That's fine, let it go. I understand everything, you're the one who is being delusional imo so let's just agree to disagree. When you gotta pretend I'm saying shit like there is only a dessert which I clearly never said you're just missing the point. Saying nothing about Persona is unique is so laughable that I literally just laughed, have a nice day dude.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hates both Persona 5 and and SMT as a whole

even if you look at the worst pictures posted for both here P5's UI goes a long way in making the game attractive as a whole. There are very few games with P5's visually distinctive UI. By default My eyes are going to want to chill with P5. SMT games are usually unfun, edgy, putrid- whoa sorry lost control for a moment there- serious games and the UI usually tends to match that. It's just not going to stand out as much period.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
You clearly just don't get it. That's fine, let it go. I understand everything, you're the one who is being delusional imo so let's just agree to disagree. When you gotta pretend I'm saying shit like there is only a dessert which I clearly never said you're just missing the point. Saying nothing about Persona is unique is so laughable that I literally just laughed, have a nice day dude.
Sure I'm being delusional when you were the one that said: "Typical Anime" which doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

Surely I'm delusional ahaha. I'm glad you think I'm delusional keep on the good work I appreciate it.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
I very much doubt it. Persona has all the ingredients to be breakout mainstream JRPG and has had them for a long time, but was previously let down by marketing and platform. SMT games are great, but lack the broader appeal.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
Im sure this has been discussed but why is this being released only on Switch? Surely, that will hurt its chances of maximizing its sales potential.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017

gJfzY0.gif

gJfLwM.gif

gJfvSA.png

gJfShD.jpg

gJfPqx.jpg

gJfU21.jpg

Uh, I still think that bottom screenshot of P5 shows more personality than any of the SMTV shots. Don't underestimate the power of the HUD elements, which are oozing personality in P5 in a way that they aren't in SMTV.

The P5 HUD and UI was super unique and super eye-grabbing. The SMTV UI and HUD are utilitarian. Nothing really special, seen many games do similar things.

Oct 7, 2021
Sure I'm being delusional when you were the one that said: "Typical Anime" which doesn't make any sense in the slightest.

Surely I'm delusional ahaha. I'm glad you think I'm delusional keep on the good work I appreciate it.
I've very clearly highlighted the differences and you have ignored them and pretended like I've said something completely different just because you don't get it. In my opinion, that is pretty delusional. I'm not going to derail this thread further with you, please knock it off. If you take it so personal feel free to report it, but don't feel there is anything to report. I explained my point, you don't get it, that's fine.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No chance. Critically I'm sure it'll do well but it doesn't have the widespread appeal Persona has to blow up like P5 did.

Jun 24, 2019
Didn't say nocturne was generic, I said shin megami tensei 5 is clearly more generic to a western audience then something like persona 5. Shin Megami is very much my thing, I like anime and don't mind more typical looking anime games. If you can't see it from the screenshots I posted I don't know what to say, persona like all the animes listed above is just much more stylized then shin megami 5 is. Shin megami 5's style is far more typical. People consider scarlet nexus as typical anime as possible here in the West if you followed the discourse around it even a little bit, Shin megami 5 looks much more like that. There is no world in which Shin megami 5 is going to sell even close to the 5 mil that persona 5 and persona Royal managed to sell and imo a large part of that is artistic direction, not just slife of life aspects and the like

I meant that you are referring to Nocturne's art direction not unique, when I said that the art is radical. I wonder what kind of JRPGs you've played that differed widely from Kaneko's style?

Putting that aside, and forgive me if I sound impolite but the stuff you said is quite confusing. Why do you consider SMT V more "anime" than P5?

I think what you're trying to say to me is that "P5 has a bit more of a relatable urban setting and stylized art direction to appeal to western audiences" whereas "SMT V's setting is more fantasy, although urban, the wastelands may put off potential consumers." Is that what you meant? Because I can agree that P5's art direction is stronger, however, I disagree with the claim that SMT V is graphically subpar.

Yeah, the switch does graphically underperform but it doesn't change that SMT V's unreal engine looks technically better than P5s. You can see more details and textures, there is a difference when you look at it closely. Moreover the OLED was just released, wouldn't it enhance the graphics?

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough, I do agree with SJ's limited appeal but damn did Atlus threw the bucket for not promoting the game more in the west.
I hope SMTV's story and characterization will feel closer to SJ. SMTV is clearly trying to capture a bit of Nocturne, but Nocturne's characters and endings felt so empty to me with how little we saw of them before the end compared to SJ letting us watch the Law and Chaos heroes' descent more closely.

I don't think SMT needs to leave behind its minimalist storytelling or its darker atmosphere. I think SMTV's production values are in a good spot, so if it can land the characterization too then I think it will do pretty well for the mainline series, and word of mouth might carry it even further. We'll see soon enough though.