WastedDeer

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on if this will have crossplay?

It's an image booster and a means to court studios with highly favorable contracts so EA's name gets more market saturation. An EA Originals game won GOTY at the Game Awards last year. When was the last time an EA title otherwise won a major GOTY award?

Don't forget they get the games on EA Play too. I think that's another main reason to help bolster the library.

R2RD

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 6, 2018
That looks great, looks like 2023 is when I'll get one of the "new" consoles. If they confirm tons of gear and weapons I'm sold.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Looks absolutely fantastic! And will be on EA Play, too. They have these 10 hour trials I think.

DimpleSan

Jun 16, 2020
This looks rad, and graphically good for an Omega Force game. Kinda encouraging that the "lower bound" of graphics for a current-gen exclusive is this high.

Oct 25, 2017
Has EA ever given their rationale behind their weird console gen naming scheme?

It's the 5th generation of PlayStation which is in lock step with Xbox even though they have only had 4. If this is the hardware you're developing for why bother noting all that came before it. It's the 5th generation of the type of console they currently develop for.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So Monster Hunter crossed with Fortnite, then (I admit to knowing and caring very little about Fortnite, just that building things in real-time during battles is a factor).

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Never been a fan of Monster Hunter, but I liked the idea of. Don't really dig the aesthetic of this but the gameplay definitely looks speedier than my experience of Monster Hunter (40 minutes of a demo then just noping out)

Could be neat. With EA, so it might have a trial on the EA play thing aswell

Last edited:

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Oct 27, 2017
People comparing this to Fortnite is hilarious. Just because there's a platform getting "built" doesn't mean it's a building aspect akin to Fortnite, it's more like a trap system similar to what you see in Monster Hunter.

LD50

Banned
May 11, 2022
I'm only concerned about the building bogging down combat. Haven't played Fortnite before, but I would imagine the building is sped up for the trailer and there will be cooldowns, stamina, and the like. I sure hope not.

Everything else looks scrumptious.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Gimme that Toukiden 3!

Looks like engineering more than building. Creating devices to aid in battle. Looks like many of the cool ways Toukiden played all coming to fruition here. I hope chain is still in and I think it is.

This will find more success in a post MHW 'world', than Toukiden did before it.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
Not normally into these kinds of games (where are the cars? 😁) but the trailer was pretty neat.

Need to keep an eye out for this when it launches.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Makes me wonder why no other (AAA) publisher tried to jump on the Monster Hunter-clone train since World sold millions and millions.

Hoping for some meaty gameplay next week.

katsu044

Mar 1, 2021
canada
KT the new Platinum with work flow?! they keep pumping out new ones

i'm down to see how they handle a hunting game the trap systems looks cool, also wire katana that is all

only thing lacking is the actual monster designs which is a core thing in a hunting game and how those designs turn into armor you wear

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When the HD generation came, the main two platforms back then were the PS3 and X360. It was quite simple to say that something was a Gen3 game as a wrapper of those two platforms. This naturally continued onwards into the PS4 and X1 generation, with the gen name matching the PS name for simplicity. Thus Gen5 games are now PS5 and XBSXS games.
This is likely why they are using this naming scheme, yeah. For simplicity. It's just that it's weird because that naming scheme erases the history of video games before the PS1, as the implication is that the PS1 was the first generation of video games, which is far from being true. So in a way, it's insulting to what came before the PS1.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
This is likely why they are using this naming scheme, yeah. For simplicity. It's just that it's weird because that naming scheme erases the history of video games before the PS1, as the implication is that the PS1 was the first generation of video games, which is far from being true. So in a way, it's insulting to what came before the PS1.
Yeah very weird especially considering EA has been publishing as far back as the Atari days.

browinie

Oct 26, 2017
This looks like the most expensive EA Originals title yet, I can get behind risky investments like this from them.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
That looks great. Love Koei Tecmo and Monster Hunter
KT the new Platinum with work flow?! they keep pumping out new ones
Pretty sure Wikipedia lists their employee count at 2000 and the bulk of them are in Omega Force and Team Ninja so not that surprising I guess.

KT are much bigger than a lot of people think financially and developer wise. They play it safe often and cut costs where they think they can but their games still sell well and they've done a lot of partnerships and contracts the last 10 years.

Yasumi

"You bought a PS Vita"
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely getting Toukiden + Soul Sacrifice vibes from the monster designs. The building stuff seems similar to the terrain and traps you could set up in SSD too.