• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
It's so horrible how we haven't been able to outgrow the caste system after centuries of independence, in Mexico's case.

Yeah. It's embarrassing how a colonization-days old system is still prevalent in this day and age, more sharply in some states. Fortunately things are getting better, but I'd fear it'd prevail even after a couple generations.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mexican here. I don't personally consider myself white despite being light skinned. Not the US context of "whiteness" anyway. I say I'm "güero" which sort of translates back to white, but at least in Spanish people probably get the point that I ain't white in the USA. In Mexico, it totally still means I'm white. If you're white in 'murica you're gringo, and that's definitely not something I strive to be, no offense. Anyway, enough of that tangent.

Why do these conversations of race in reguards to latinx get burried here? Because there's lots of people here that don't seem to care and/or lack perspective on the issues.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Race is absolutely not ignored. Indigenous movements are just as common and as necessary in Latin American Countries as in any place that was an European Colony.

But the thing is that the voices of immigrant Latinos speak different interests once they are no longer on their countries. They leave behind those social structures and as a completely different kind of minority they try to group together under the wing of the biggest group or more powerfully represented nationality of origin within that minority.
This a very good point.

As a Mexican I feel like our people are pretty racist against black people and just darker-skinned people in general. Just see how they treat people from Oaxaca or Chiapas or indigenas. Plus it doesn't help that everyone on Mexican national TV is white with European last names.

I really wish Mexico had a larger, or even an actual afro-latino community.
I mean you had folks going after the actress that played the nanny from Roma for some godforsaken reason. Like she was undeserving of the praise and advancement in life. Because she's not light skinned or isn't pretty or beautiful because she's dark skinned.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I am Mexican, and even in Mexico it depends a lot on the place you live. The worst type of racism here is against indigenous people. Been like that since the culmination of the Mexican independence. The media plays a big role too. The media made sure many people see the whiter your skin, blond hair and colored eyes the better. The representation in the media is brutal. We have a really big problem with racism, sexism, homophobia and more but we are just in the phase where we are realizing we are all that and still you see a lot of resistance to it. The resistance of many people to stop using the puto chant in football is a good example.

And it can be really complex. I am from Tijuana, and like the poster that is from the same state than I, Baja California said, currently we see with better eyes Haitians than people from Honduras. The media and social media played a big factor with all the negative videos from the migrants caravans. If you ask someone here what they think about Haitians they will probably tell you that they are hard working people; ask them about an Honduran and you are probably going to get a lot of negative things.

Last, in the movements, groups and places I frequent we like to use "e" or "i" to make words gender neutral:

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Racist people exist everywhere. Even in my country Costa Rica I have seen some weird shit, mostly Xenophobic people towards people from Nicaragua and Colombia. Now with people from Venezuela. I should also say, it is a very small minority, and while loud, they don't represent the big majority of my or many of any countries in LATAM.
One thing I noticed with these threads, is that they are too much based on what Latinos based on the US think or act towards other Latinos.
Our indigenous populations are very big, bigger than the black communities, so usually when talking about discrimination and lack of opportunities all if not most attention is geared towards indigenous populations.
I am sure minorities in our countries have a more difficult time than white looking dudes, but it is not as institutionalized as it is in the US.