Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Not asking you to justify a damn thing, Dogge. Just making an observation.

Don't mind me though, continue shadowboxing to your heart's content.

This is not coming off the way you think it is. Nobody criticizing Obama's decisions in office would have done any better. The machine is the machine. You won't change it. It changes you. And your internet posts won't solve anything. So in the end "Don't mind me" is probably the best advice you could give, because it's the most realistic outcome. Is that fair? No. Does it suck? Yes. But that's reality. I'd think someone who watches The Boys would get that. Oh well.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
does that quote equal all the crazy violent shit Homelander does to you? Like from reading the Drone Papers that most of this info is from, it characterizes each bombing taking multiple months specifically because Obama was reluctant to sign off on any of them; I agree the civilian deaths are bad and it's a shitty policy, but the literal person that Obama is does not seem to be a remorseless killer who wants to like laser people to death in the face lol

I am talking to you in good faith and not trying to stir shit here, it's just somewhat annoying to read so many people trying to shit on what was otherwise a fairly okay president outside of this one particular policy (which I agree is bad, and plays into a larger foreign policy that's nonsensical and full of butterfly effects) and a person worth looking up to in many regards, which many people clearly still do

I'm not really sure where you're going with this. Cause I don't care if Obama was cackling or not. I do know that he was largely indifferent, and defensive every time it came up. Homelander parallels there, along with Vought in general.

Also, that's a lie that Obama was reluctant to sign off on any of them. The very first drone strike he did was 3 days after his inauguration. Guess how that first drone strike ended up?
Now over time he might have been was largely hands off and aloof of his murder program, but that is an incredibly even more fucked up problem. Dubya was mocked for excuses like that, and like Dubya, buck stops with him anyways.

And if they were spending months and months on confirming all strikes, then they utterly failed with all the that time given.
www.pbs.org

Whistleblower releases documents into U.S. military's drone program

For several years human rights groups have claimed that U.S. drone attacks have killed more civilians abroad than their intended targets. The Intercept published highly classified information Thursday that provided evidence, among other findings, that nearly 90 percent of people killed in drone...

President Barack Obama said in 2013 that there had to be "near certainty that no civilians will be killed or injured," before any drone strikes are authorized. However, in one U.S. operation between January 2012 and February 2013 in northeastern Afghanistan, 35 out of more than 200 people killed by drones were the actual intended targets, The Intercept reported.

The documents also appear to reveal that anyone killed by the unmanned aircraft, including unintended casualties, are labeled as EKIA, or "enemy killed in action." The designation stayed, unless evidence comes forward that proved that a person killed wasn't an "unlawful enemy combatant," The Intercept reported.

Like I'm arguing in good faith here too. And Obama did a lot of evil shit. Doesn't need to be cackling to be evil. I'm not the person you should be convincing that Obama was actually a swell guy who tried to avoid needless murder, go ask the victims about it and how their days were going before hellfire rained down on them.

As John Oliver put it back in 2014: "We've made children fear the skies".

And instead of answering for the cover-ups, the murders, extrajudicial murders, foreign interference, tampering, helping turn a country into the worst humanitarian disaster in the world, further destabilizing regions, and a bunch of other shit that I know has been talked about before - we regular joes have to sit through puff piece after puff piece for a man as he continues to lie to the day about why he dropped bombs on all these brown kids?

If people want to like Obama, fine. I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing the man himself is bad, real bad. And he'd definitely be going to The Bad Place for a few Bearimy cycles. That's all.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I think it just makes people uncomfortable since they like Obama. If Bush liked Watchmen and we had a thread about it I guarantee it would be full of people pointing out his war crimes and rightfully so.
Honestly this sounds right.

People make glib remarks about the right all the time in a way that is not deep and conductive to discussion. And that is okay, at some point people collectively assume their wrongness and there is no need to hammer that out, and instead goes towards humor.

There is no need get defensive at glib remarks towards Obama either. Especially in a topic that is ironic, the message of the shows he watch vs the actions he has taken. What he did was wrong and stays in the memory of a lot of people. One's ideology or identity doesn't rest on the goodness of a single person, so an attack on Obama is not personal, and we are better off not making heroes out of people anyways.

anamika

May 18, 2018
I would also say that if someone wanted to admire or like the guy still on some other level, like say that he likes good quality television, it's not really helpful to be so hyperbolic about the person when likely the person you are arguing with (like me) is literally in agreement with you on the abstract foreign policy - many people are going to respect this person for like 100 other reasons besides this in the near present, and it's going to be a while (if ever?) that people would turn around and find the actual person that Obama is to be an ethically bad human being - he's probably one of the most well liked leaders of the last 50 years, of which in some regards I find reasonable, so I just find it unnecessary to try and bad mouth the guy every single time he's eating crackers basically, and pretty much anyone on this forum arguing with you about this is probably thinking the same way, which again, I do not find personally unreasonable

And that's fine, people are free to like the guy, and I am free as well to judge people for their adoration of a racist war criminal.

This is what Obama said in his book:
In his new book, "A Promised Land," Obama reflected on the task of ordering such killings, stating that he "took no joy" in doing so.

"In places like Yemen and Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq, the lives of millions of young men…had been warped and stunted by desperation, ignorance, dreams of religious glory, the violence of their surroundings, or the schemes of older men. They were dangerous, these young men, often deliberately and casually cruel. Still, in the aggregate, at least, I wanted somehow to save them — send them to school, give them a trade, drain them of the hate that had been filling their heads," Obama wrote.

"And yet the world they were a part of, and the machinery I commanded, more often had me killing them instead," the former president added.
This is disgusting victim blaming. This rhetoric is what is called the 'White man's burden'. The idea that all these millions of young men in these countries where dangerous, ignorant, violent and deserving of death. This is the same argument that white cops in the US use to gun down black people - violent and dangerous. It's the same type of bigotry white people display towards black men.

And this is an attitude that Americans and Westerners frequently display on this forum including on this thread. Why do you bring up the thousands of brown people Obama had killed with his foreign policy? Why do those people matter?What does it matter that 85,000 children died due to Obama's foreign policy with regards to Yemen? They are not American. Who cares? We just want to discuss Obama's favorite TV shows in peace!

Do you know how disgusting this is to the people on this forum of middle eastern/arab/south asian descent reading this shit? Do you think Americans would enjoy such threads about leaders who have harmed and killed Americans?

Kindly understand and appreciate the sensitivities of other people in this forum when posting threads about Obama's favorite TV shows. That's all.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
This is not coming off the way you think it is. Nobody criticizing Obama's decisions in office would have done any better. The machine is the machine. You won't change it. It changes you. And your internet posts won't solve anything. So in the end "Don't mind me" is probably the best advice you could give, because it's the most realistic outcome. Is that fair? No. Does it suck? Yes. But that's reality. I'd think someone who watches The Boys would get that. Oh well.

As Michelle Obama says: the presidency doesn't change you, but it reveals who you are.

Yes I'm a powerless pleb, and my internet posts don't solve anything. Never claimed it did. I can only speak for myself and speak about things that on my mind, like any human being on the planet my friend. We're not fucking serfs.

But if I came into power and proved to be an asshole like Obama was, then I hope others write screeds about how much I suck online. It's only fair.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i might have not given all of the boys season 2 my fullest attention (i keep shows on as i exercise to take my mind off exercising but sometimes i start focusing on the exercising and lose my concentration on the show), but i'm trying to remember anything about us foreign policy, specifically involving homelander, that resembles obama-era singling out of targets to strike from afar, without the use of american boots on the ground.

at the end of boys season 1, and the start of the boys season 2, homelander creates supervillains for superheroes to have a purpose. to me this is closer to george w. bush's 'axis of evil' that pulled in countries that have wildly different ideologies and backgrounds into a singular 'america doesn't like them' villainy. the 'axis of evil' is america creating its own villains in order to be the 'heroes' because we're then taking what's ours. i don't know if this was something homelander did in the comic series that was adapted for tv, but if it was, that would make sense why it comes across this way since the boys was a comic series in the 2000s when bush was president.

but even then, i'd argue the foreign policy aspect of the boys takes a huge backseat to the way americans view their 'heroes' and consume their stories, where corporations will market left-leaning ideals but only in the most palatable and profitable way. season 2 in particular deals with more to do about the growing threat of white nationalism in america, and homelander's need for love from parental figures turns into a (literal?) lust for power over the general population.

this isn't to excuse anything obama did, but having watched both seasons, i'm having trouble finding a straight connection.
You're zooming in too closely in your analysis here. Maybe I should have spoken more broadly, but the connection goes beyond just drone bombs. Claims of shitposting are even sillier when thinking about the bolded quote.
The way americans view their 'heroes' and consume their stories.

Obama is a, if not the, modern American hero and he's currently trying to cement his legacy with how he fits into the American myth. Similarities to Homelander aren't just about kill-counts for example. Arguably just as relevant is the way people are fed a pure image of Homelander and are unaware of the heinous crimes he's committed.

Novoitus

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's the reality baby, Obama has excellent taste

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really have no particular interest in defending this literal policy, but I do think the actual person Barack Obama, not the summation of the policies under him as a president, is not a psychopathic killer - this is the very specific parameter I'm at disagreement with

I would also say that if someone wanted to admire or like the guy still on some other level, like say that he likes good quality television, it's not really helpful to be so hyperbolic about the person when likely the person you are arguing with on this forum (like me) is literally in agreement with you on the abstract foreign policy - many people are going to respect this person for like 100 other reasons besides this in the near present, and it's going to be a while (if ever?) that people would turn around and find the actual person that Obama is to be an ethically bad human being - he's probably one of the most well liked leaders of the last 50 years, of which in some regards I find reasonable, so I just find it unnecessary to try and bad mouth the guy every single time he's eating crackers basically, and pretty much anyone on this forum arguing with you about this is probably thinking the same way, which again, I do not find personally unreasonable
Did I say he was a psychopath? Psychopathy is just a cultural signifier, it has no real meaning in terms of actually judging human behavior. You're taking issue with something I never claimed nor do I believe. It isn't necessary for him to be 'psychopathic' for him to make decisions that took thousands of innocent lives. And there is nothing abstract about this either; those bombs were dropped on real people, their deaths and the ramifications of those deaths and all the thousands injured but not killed by these strikes are not abstract concepts, they are real, living, breathing human beings who had their lives destroyed or fundamentally altered because a man with too much power hundreds of thousands of miles away decided it was politically necessary for them or their family or friends to die.

If you want that type of policy to end then you have to critique the policy itself and the people who chose to enact it in the manner in which they did. If that makes you feel uncomfortable seeing Obama as a 'cool guy' then good, it should.

I too once thought he was a cool, interesting, morally upstanding and enlightened man. I don't think that anymore, and that's a direct result of his actions. Maybe this information doesn't change your mind, but if you see the actions of the man conflicting with your image of him then maybe reflect on that a bit.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I'm not really sure where you're going with this. Cause I don't care if Obama was cackling or not. I do know that he was largely indifferent, and defensive every time it came up. Homelander parallels there, along with Vought in general.

Also, that's a lie that Obama was reluctant to sign off on any of them. The very first drone strike he did was 3 days after his inauguration. Guess how that first drone strike ended up?
Now over time he might have been was largely hands off and aloof of his murder program, but that is an incredibly even more fucked up problem. Dubya was mocked for excuses like that, and like Dubya, buck stops with him anyways.

And if they were spending months and months on confirming all strikes, then they utterly failed with all the that time given.
www.pbs.org

Whistleblower releases documents into U.S. military's drone program

For several years human rights groups have claimed that U.S. drone attacks have killed more civilians abroad than their intended targets. The Intercept published highly classified information Thursday that provided evidence, among other findings, that nearly 90 percent of people killed in drone...

Like I'm arguing in good faith here too. And Obama did a lot of evil shit. Doesn't need to be cackling to be evil. I'm not the person you should be convincing that Obama was actually a swell guy who tried to avoid needless murder, go ask the victims about it and how their days were going before hellfire rained down on them.

As John Oliver put it back in 2014: "We've made children fear the skies".

And instead of answering for the cover-ups, the murders, extrajudicial murders, foreign interference, tampering, helping turn a country into the worst humanitarian disaster in the world, further destabilizing regions, and a bunch of other shit that I know has been talked about before - we regular joes have to sit through puff piece after puff piece for a man as he continues to lie to the day about why he dropped bombs on all these brown kids?

If people want to like Obama, fine. I'm not arguing that, I'm arguing the man himself is bad, real bad. And he'd definitely be going to The Bad Place for a few Bearimy cycles. That's all.

I 100% agree that it's a shitty and failed policy and that American foreign policy in general is shit under basically every president, but I just don't think you can ethically write off the person entirely just because one of their policies was agreed upon as being ethically bad - I'm not convinced that Obama the person is literally a bad person based on this, and if anything if this was The Good Place
He'd probably just at worst go through like one round of the experiment and end up in The Good Place, unlike Brent or Trump who would spend an eternity acting like a shit person and failing over and over lol
I do think it's definitely subjective here if the literal person is ethically good or bad (not the policy again), so I doubt we can come to some conclusion on that, but I understand your point and just disagree, and that's okay! I'm gonna support the left either way in this country and just find a few people a little annoying is all lol

Did I say he was a psychopath? Psychopathy is just a cultural signifier, it has no real meaning in terms of actually judging human behavior. You're taking issue with something I never claimed nor do I believe. It isn't necessary for him to be 'psychopathic' for him to make decisions that took thousands of innocent lives. And there is nothing abstract about this either; those bombs were dropped on real people, their deaths and the ramifications of those deaths and all the thousands injured but not killed by these strikes are not abstract concepts, they are real, living, breathing human beings who had their lives destroyed or fundamentally altered because a man with too much power hundreds of thousands of miles away decided it was politically necessary for them or their family or friends to die.

If you want that type of policy to end then you have to critique the policy itself and the people who chose to enact it in the manner in which they did. If that makes you feel uncomfortable seeing Obama as a 'cool guy' then good, it should.

I too once thought he was a cool, interesting, morally upstanding and enlightened man. I don't think that anymore, and that's a direct result of his actions. Maybe this information doesn't change your mind, but if you see the actions of the man conflicting with your image of him then maybe reflect on that a bit.

I'm getting a lot of people replying to me, so I honestly probably just mixed you up with someone else, but again I do understand your point here, and this sounds a zillion more times reasonable than what a lot of people were posting previously - I'm fully fine with criticizing the policies and even how Obama the person could do this as an ethical being, but I just have not written off the entirety of this person as being entirely an ethically "bad" person, and I don't think its unreasonable to do that

And that's fine, people are free to like the guy, and I am free as well to judge people for their adoration of a racist war criminal.

This is disgusting victim blaming. This rhetoric is what is called the 'White man's burden'. The idea that all these millions of young men in these countries where dangerous, ignorant, violent and deserving of death. This is the same argument that white cops in the US use to gun down black people - violent and dangerous. It's the same type of bigotry white people display towards black men.

And this is an attitude that Americans and Westerners frequently display on this forum including on this thread. Why do you bring up the thousands of brown people Obama had killed with his foreign policy? Why do those people matter?What does it matter that 85,000 children died due to Obama's foreign policy with regards to Yemen? They are not American. Who cares? We just want to discuss Obama's favorite TV shows in peace!

Do you know how disgusting this is to the people on this forum of middle eastern/arab/south asian descent reading this shit? Do you think Americans would enjoy such threads about leaders who have harmed and killed Americans?

Kindly understand and appreciate the sensitivities of other people in this forum when posting threads about Obama's favorite TV shows. That's all.

I do think your criticisms are 100% valid and I will not oppose that and will just listen on something like that in which I have no lived experience, I have no argument against you here

I think for my stance, just a lot of people (like myself) at one point admired Obama pretty deeply back in like 2004-2009 or so (and probably people criticizing him now did too), and he is probably one of the only American leaders that has any sense of a venerable status due to a multitude of other reasons about the character and actions of him, so trying to shitpost and dump on the guy (like earlier in this thread) is always going to be controversial for that reason on a leftist/liberal forum like this - I do think seeing someone like you list out these criticisms is fully valid and would rather see conversation like this that really gets into the meat of why people are even criticizing Obama to begin with instead of just like minor effort drive by jabs

Last edited:

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"The Machine" stops being an excuse when you become the one who is driving it. Obama could have ceased drone strikes. He could've still done the drone strikes but only in areas where the US was occupied militarily. He could've done the drone strikes and not obfuscated the number of civilian casualties but instead owned up to the numbers of dead innocents. He did none of those things. That's deserving of criticism.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I 100% agree that it's a shitty and failed policy and that American foreign policy in general is shit under basically every president, but I just don't think you can ethically write off the person entirely just because one of their policies was agreed upon as being ethically bad - I'm not convinced that Obama the person is literally a bad person based on this, and if anything if this was The Good Place
He'd probably just at worst go through like one round of the experiment and end up in The Good Place, unlike Brent or Trump who would spend an eternity acting like a shit person and failing over and over lol
I do think it's definitely subjective here if the literal person is ethically good or bad (not the policy again), so I doubt we can come to some conclusion on that, but I understand your point and just disagree, and that's okay! I'm gonna support the left either way in this country and just find a few people a little annoying is all lol

I'm getting a lot of people replying to me, so I honestly probably just mixed you up with someone else, but again I do understand your point here, and this sounds a zillion more times reasonable than what a lot of people were posting previously - I'm fully fine with criticizing the policies and even how Obama the person could do this as an ethical being, but I just have not written off the entirety of this person as being entirely an ethically "bad" person, and I don't think its unreasonable to do that
Alright, but this is just one of many ways in which Obama behaved in an ethically and morally dubious manner. I really do not understand idolizing the man after looking at the results of his presidency, when examining his actions specifically.

Is he the worst president we've ever had? No, far from it. Did he fail to address the fundamental problems of this nation despite having the power to do so in at least some capacity? Absolutely. That is condemnable.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
You're zooming in too closely in your analysis here. Maybe I should have spoken more broadly, but the connection goes beyond just drone bombs. Claims of shitposting are even sillier when thinking about the bolded quote.

am i? i'm honestly having a hard time calling back to the show since it was one of 60 this year i've watched so i could just have misplaced details and storylines, but i thought most of the supervillain stuff was this season and it started in season 1. the big payoff for it is when homelander kills an innocent bystander on his own and the american public gets pissed at him (leading to his daydream/fantasy). this could be interpreted as the collateral damage of the obama era, but given how little the american people actually raised a fuss about it - for example osama bin laden's death was largely celebrated across the country and the death of civilians abroad was generally ignored - it doesn't feel like homelander is a stand-in for obama. the closest analog may be the american military. people were able to watch live on television as the us army rolled into iraq like it was some superhero story. the feeling that we weren't strictly the 'good guys' was during abu ghraib. i think this is a weak allegory though considering vought is trying to get supes into american foreign affairs through all of season 1.

but a lot of that rests on the idea that the boys is a critique of american foreign policy. and i guess it has that in there, but when i watched it... it didn't come across as its main thesis. not when by and large the show is making a point about corporations taking over america and the minds of americans. the biggest element of foreign policy is how vought is trying to get supes to act as part of the us military, which reads more like us mercenary and 'contractor' corporations like blackwater getting their cut of the overseas murder pie.

Obama is a, if not the, modern American hero and he's currently trying to cement his legacy with how he fits into the American myth. Similarities to Homelander aren't just about kill-counts for example. Arguably just as relevant is the way people are fed a pure image of Homelander and are unaware of the heinous crimes he's committed.

i think watching the show and seeing this blond-haired, blue-eyed white supremacist icon and think 'that's obama' is a biiiig stretch.

but the point about not making icons out of people in power is a good one. it's something that people all across the political spectrum fall for - see trump as this paragon for good that people on the right actually believe in their heart of hearts. or see bernie sanders as this unwavering symbol of true justice for all americans. these people become blank canvasses for others to project their values onto even if they don't make sense (donald the dove).

also she-ra and the princesses of power is really good please watch it.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger

Like, it is the sheer scale of death and suffering that some people (even in this thread) can't or don't want to really think about. Something something tragedy vs statistic.

Deleted member 2779

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
am i? i'm honestly having a hard time calling back to the show since it was one of 60 this year i've watched so i could just have misplaced details and storylines, but i thought most of the supervillain stuff was this season and it started in season 1. the big payoff for it is when homelander kills an innocent bystander on his own and the american public gets pissed at him (leading to his daydream/fantasy). this could be interpreted as the collateral damage of the obama era, but given how little the american people actually raised a fuss about it - for example osama bin laden's death was largely celebrated across the country and the death of civilians abroad was generally ignored - it doesn't feel like homelander is a stand-in for obama. the closest analog may be the american military. people were able to watch live on television as the us army rolled into iraq like it was some superhero story. the feeling that we weren't strictly the 'good guys' was during abu ghraib.

but a lot of that rests on the idea that the boys is a critique of american foreign policy. and i guess it has that in there, but when i watched it... it didn't come across as its main thesis. not when by and large the show is making a point about corporations taking over america and the minds of americans. the biggest element of foreign policy is how vought is trying to get supes to act as part of the us military, which reads more like us mercenary and 'contractor' corporations like blackwater getting their cut of the overseas murder pie.
I should clarify that when I said the connection goes broader, I mean the broader connection between the show and Obama as opposed to the specific lens of U.S. imperialism. I'm not saying that's the show's main thesis, I'm mainly trying to illustrate how absurd some of the responses to this thread are.
i think watching the show and seeing this blond-haired, blue-eyed white supremacist icon and think 'that's obama' is a biiiig stretch.

but the point about not making icons out of people in power is a good one. it's something that people all across the political spectrum fall for - see trump as this paragon for good that people on the right actually believe in their heart of hearts. or see bernie sanders as this unwavering symbol of true justice for all americans. these people become the ends of a mean. they will project their hopes and desires even if it doesn't make sense (donald the dove).

also she-ra and the princesses of power is really good please watch it.
Homelander = Obama on its own is a high school level media studies/english essay take, but it's a valid interpretation all the same. The point is, Obama should not be excluded from the critiques of power The Boys is interested in.

I watched the first episode and thought it was neat. I'll probably binge through it when I'm randomly in the mood like two years later.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Good taste. Fuck him though, and all the blood on his hands.

And a genuine fuck you to everyone trying to brush aside the bodies blown to pieces by this war criminal. Imperialism and deaths of innocent brown people is totally acceptable when your boy is the one doing it, huh?

Mar 10, 2018
The machine is the machine. You won't change it. It changes you.
No. This is what Liberals, Centrists, and Conservatives want you to think. I used to think this as well. The U.S. war machine isn't inevitable; it's just that we've never had anyone in office willing to fully oppose it. Obama was a centrist. So of course he frames himself as having no other option than to drone a bunch of brown people.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
His fav show is The Wire and that also happens to be the best television show of all time. So he knows his entertainment.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify that when I said the connection goes broader, I mean the broader connection between the show and Obama as opposed to the specific lens of U.S. imperialism. I'm not saying that's the show's main thesis, I'm mainly trying to illustrate how absurd some of the responses to this thread are.

Homelander = Obama on its own is a high school level media studies/english essay take, but it's a valid interpretation all the same. The point is, Obama should not be excluded from the critiques of power The Boys is interested in.

well, this is where i don't understand the takes of 'he should talk'. because if it's the broader takedown of modern american culture that obama is ironically enjoying, then it doesn't make sense to turn it into a laser-focus (no pun intended) about obama's foreign policy when the boys doesn't seem specifically interested in it or making any particular critique of it either.

I watched the first episode and thought it was neat. I'll probably binge through it when I'm randomly in the mood like two years later.

the first few episodes are pretty good at establishing character dynamics. season 1 is a little rough overall, but it starts kicking ass with 'princess prom' (episode eight). the show just keeps getting better and the catharsis in the final episode is incredible. a damn good journey with only a couple minor complaints from my end.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Who cares what this war criminal likes?

Probably relates most with Homelander and cheers on Vought.

But he brought CHANGE!

Well he definitely changed the landscape in a few countries using all those drones.

Cant believe people are so damn affectionate to a war criminal. Do they like Bush too?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
How many negative good place points would Obama get? Like a million billion?

I mean, it's pretty easy to get rankled about this. Just put yourself in those ppls shoes and imagine drone missiles raining down from the sky killing/devastating without an ounce of care or remorse or humanity.

And then just handwaving it away after the fact. Those innocent lives are gone forever and for what?

That's this guy that okayed that. If that were Bush or Trump they'd be getting rightfully excoriated too. It's hard to wrap heads around because he is so cool, intelligent and well-versed in pop culture. But that doesn't change those actions.

Last edited:

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
And a genuine fuck you to everyone trying to brush aside the bodies blown to pieces by this war criminal. Imperialism and deaths of innocent brown people is totally acceptable when your boy is the one doing it, huh?

Who are y'all talking about in this thread? So many people equating trying to keep a thread on topic with "caping and handwaiving his crimes." Absolutely not.

If we want to turn threads into the content of a character rather than the content of the OP, then that's fine. It's just disappointingly redundant. We all know he's a war criminal, what's the point of saying it in every thread? What are we adding by stamping that in every thread? What's the point of any threads relating to Obama then?

I'm not referring to posts about the irony of his liked shows. It's the drive by posts.

Last edited:

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Who are y'all talking about in this thread? So many people equating trying to keep a thread on topic with "caping and handwaiving his crimes." Absolutely not.

If we want to turn threads into the content of a character rather than the content of the OP, then that's fine. It's just disappointingly redundant. We all know he's a war criminal, what's the point of saying it in every thread? What are we adding?
This is how every thread that mentions Obama turns out. Pages upon pages of people shitting all over him for the drone program, when everyone was real silent about the Trump Administration ramping up the program and doing more strikes in 2 years than Obama did in 8. The established canon on Era is that it's cool to shit all over Obama—call him a war criminal, compare him to a Nazi, allude to him being a psychopath, you name it.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
This is how every thread that mentions Obama turns out. Pages upon pages of people shitting all over him for the drone program, when everyone was real silent about the Trump Administration ramping up the program and doing more strikes in 2 years than Obama did in 8. The established canon on Era is that it's cool to shit all over Obama—call him a war criminal, compare him to a Nazi, allude to him being a psychopath, you name it.

And I think that's fine. People can think that if they want. He's responsible for some bad things. But drive by posts add...what? There are threads to discuss that for the umpteenth time or create a new one. I apologise for psuedo backseat modding and thread complaining, this is just far too predictable.

Last edited:

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
And I think that's fine. People can think that if they want. He's responsible for some bad things. But drive by posts add...what? There are threads to discuss that for the umpteenth time or create a new one. I apologise for psuedo backseat modding and thread complaining, this is just far too predictable.
It's not about adding to the conversation, the derailing is the point.

But on topic; Watchmen was excellent, The Boys was great, and Obama generally has good taste. His yearly Spotify playlists are generally really good as well, highly recommend them.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to feel bad for a war criminal who hurt my people because he was sandwiched between two worse war criminals.
If only there was this outrage for the murdered innocents.

anamika

May 18, 2018
Well go ahead and start a post on Trump's favorite TV shows and we will see how that goes....

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Well go ahead and start a post on Trump's favorite TV shows and we will see how that goes....
He only watches Fox News, OAN, and Newsmax. I'd rather have lasers shot into my eyes than watch that garbage. Man hasn't read a real book in ages and probably doesn't even listen to music. He's a truly joyless individual.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
He understands perfectly well what those shows are about. Unfortunately, he is not God Emperor of the world or the USA. What exactly did you think he could get done with a Republican controlled Senate? He couldn't even seat a Supreme Court Justice.
The Republicans didn't force him to commit war crimes on foreign nations. This whole victimisation of Obama really gets on my nerves, like there is no empathy for the people who suffered under his administration.

Anyway, gonna link Thought Slime's video because he articulates the points better than I could.

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Anyway, gonna link Thought Slime's video because he articulates the points better than I could.

3:30 in and why am I not surprised this is tons of revisionist and/or cherry picked information. This idea that the finance sector was breaking the law in broad daylight and "everyone knew it" is absolute horseshit. He certainly made one true point right at the top though, he doesn't understand the financial crisis at all.

6:30 and I'm tapping out. This video is some ill informed attempt to look smarmy by dunking on Obama while misrepresenting a mountain of facts. I'll reiterate, I do think he made a solid point when he said he didn't understand these thing s at all.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't expecting The Boys to be on that list.
Obama continues to demonstrate his impeccable taste.

JonCha

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's a sequel set 30 years later. Ozymandias, Silk Specter, and a few others return. My problem is that it does nothing to address the themes or idea of the original comic, but in mundane callbacks. It just doesn't measure up.

See I never read the comics - in fact I didn't know anything about the universe - so didn't see that at all. Thought the show was amazing for a layman. Brilliant stuff.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Too bad he wasn't watching TV instead of nuking the fuck out of that wedding.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Oct 25, 2017
I herby appoint Obama Good Media Czar and get out the vote man and try and forget how he was the most underwhleming two term president in a long time despite my appreciation of the man.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
The more important thing is that he watches Better Call Saul.

Watch Better Call Saul y'all.

Discontent

May 25, 2018

Anything inaccurate in this video?

3:30 in and why am I not surprised this is tons of revisionist and/or cherry picked information. This idea that the finance sector was breaking the law in broad daylight and "everyone knew it" is absolute horseshit. He certainly made one true point right at the top though, he doesn't understand the financial crisis at all.

6:30 and I'm tapping out. This video is some ill informed attempt to look smarmy by dunking on Obama while misrepresenting a mountain of facts. I'll reiterate, I do think he made a solid point when he said he didn't understand these thing s at all.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
The deflection to "but what about Bush/Trump" that happens in these discussions is always hilarious.
The same people who call Obama a warcriminal are also the very same people who call Bush a warcriminal and refuse to let anyone rehabilitate him. Meanwhile, Trump is already called a Nazi all the time. You're not breaking any new ground by saying his foreign policy is bad, everyone knows that already. Just because Bush and Trump's foreign policy are worse doesn't make Obama's foreign policy good. Also part of the reason that Trump's foreign policy is as bad as it is right now is because Obama specifically created the system that enabled Trump to be so destructive.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is what the children call a whataboutism

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is Biden going to stop the drones?

We all know he is anti imperialism.

😌.

this is a joke

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
I put the Watchmen TV show in a very small category of perfect sequel media. It honours the original, echoes it, but also does something new and doesn't outright retread the original work. I put 2049 in the same category.

M.J.

Oct 25, 2017
The Good Place is quality television.

Obama threads are good for bolstering the ignore list.