• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was the most boring DLC newcomer to Smash Ultimate?

• Hero

Votes: 105 5.0%
  • Byleth

Votes: 1,093 52.5%
  • Min Min

Votes: 123 5.9%
  • Steve

Votes: 225 10.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 151 7.3%
  • Kazuya

Votes: 306 14.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 79 3.8%

• Total voters

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I guess I'm judging this on how boring they are to play for me, but that's Joker. I really like a lot of how the DLC characters play, notably Terry, Byleth, Sephiroth, Piranha Plant, and Pyra/Mythra. Hero's pretty fun, though I haven't given him much of a chance. Minmin didn't click for me quite right, but she's still rather unique. Steve's the one I play the least, but I wouldn't call him boring. Banjo and Joker are kind of standard, but I'd rank Banjo as less boring between the two.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
They should check out that Jump Force game. I hear he's in it.
Funnily enough Jump Force also has similar problem with overrepresentation since they keep adding characters from Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach that have no reason to be in a crossover that is meant to be an anniversary game

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Sephiroth. We already had an FF character. And what's worse if they're going to add another FF character they could at least make it one from a different game, but nope more FF7 worship. Smash DLC in general has not been my sorta thing but that's the one I tuned out the fastest.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
They should have went all out and replaced the older Fire Emblem characters with Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Funnily enough Jump Force also has similar problem with overrepresentation since they keep adding characters from Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach that have no reason to be in a crossover that is meant to be an anniversary game
I'm totally ignorant on this topic but I thought those were the only IP in the game?

Jun 11, 2019
Min Min, i guess, i don't enjoy her gameplay at all
3 dlc fire emblem characters? I see

Man ya'll really hate Byleth. Can't wait for Byleth 2 to happen
Byleth... 2!
giphy_1.gif

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Tekken was one of the last big Japanese gaming IPs without a playable character (Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, & Dark Souls remain), with Kazuya being the series' most recurring (& original) protagonist. His inclusion makes complete sense.
I'm not saying Kazuya's inclusion doesn't make sense but he's boring af. Klonoa would've been a much more interesting choice as a fighter but Bamco remains stubborn and refuses to give the IP another chance after so many other platformer mascots have seen successful revivals over the past several years.
probably didn't even had a chance as an assist trophy. Maybe a mii costume.
This is the consolation prize I'm hoping for now. Just give my boi any kind of representation in Smash. Please.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
I'm totally ignorant on this topic but I thought those were the only IP in the game?
Jump Force had about a dozen or more IPs represented in its launch roster of playable characters. Wikipedia says 40 characters spread out across 16 series at launch (though one of those series is Naruto's successor, so I guess we've got a Mario/Donkey Kong situation going on).

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm not saying Kazuya's inclusion doesn't make sense but he's boring af. Klonoa would've been a much more interesting choice as a fighter but Bamco remains stubborn and refuses to give the IP another chance after so many other platformer mascots have seen successful revivals over the past several years.
But it's not really Smash's place to help foster such a revival. In fact, the "Smash Effect" that most speak of doesn't exist. Even with Smash, Fire Emblem was on the brink of death before Awakening. Likewise, Smash didn't help DQXIS's sales in the West much (if at all).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is the consolation prize I'm hoping for now. Just give my boi any kind of representation in Smash. Please.

I mean, regarding Klonoa's complete lack of success its entire life, it was given a remarkable amount of love from Bamco.

Multiple spinoffs, a full remake of the first game, a webcomic that only got cut short with the rest of ShiftyLook and a planned movie. There was some serious adoration for the series, and hell, Klonoa Encore's gonna happen eventually.

PinballRJ

Oct 25, 2017
Hero doesn't even have a name, that's like adding pokemon trainer... Oh wait

Should have just added a slime, would have been more interesting gameplay wise

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hero doesn't even have a name, that's like adding pokemon trainer... Oh wait

Should have just added a slime, would have been more interesting gameplay wise
If I recall correctly, Slime was actually Sakurai's Plan B if Square Enix said no to Hero. But even then, Hero is plenty unique mechanically.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly the game has more than enough characters for me but I would've appreciated some new stages, even from franchises that weren't represented with characters.

If I had to choose a character I'd think Phoenix Wright is the first that comes to mind. I also wanted Rayman for a while.
Well each character comes with a stage. Are those not working out for you either?

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Hero by far, followed by Kazuya and Terry. For Hero it's because I find Dragon Quest to be so dull that even remembering it exists makes me bored, and for the latter 2 I just don't find adding a fighting game character to another fighting game very interesting.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's Byleth, and I love both FE characters in Smash and Three Houses. Byleth is just not very interesting in any way. They could have gone with Edelgard or Claude.

Hero is my favorite newcomer and maybe my favorite character in Ultimate outright in terms of playstyle. I didn't care much for Terry or Kazuya but I get it for those that do. I would have popped off if Nightmare or Sol Badguy made it in.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Hero was hype as hell, for me.

My answer for worst is Byleth. I knew right away that was gonna be the winner by a mile in this poll. Like, we have enough Fire Emblem characters, and we have more than enough Fire Emblem protagonists.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I'm judging anyone who voted steven cause even if you don't like minecraft (like me) the way he plays is crazy and it incorporates minecraft gameplay like I never would have thought

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It's plant, funny for a meme but neither a fun character to play as and a complete waste of development time.

TwoPikachus

Nov 15, 2018
I am resentful of the fact that Sony's IP farm is so dank ass it has to rely on nothingburgers like that.

I know this is going to be hard for you to cope with because it was hard for me, but "lmao you're young" isn't the go-to burn you're hoping it is when talking about a children's video game like Smash Bros.
I'm not trying to burn anyone. It's legitimately surprising to me how important that character is to the younger generations such that they will double down on the ageist slurring. I don't care who you are, don't call people geriatric because they didn't grow up with the same things you did.

Jan 29, 2018
Well each character comes with a stage. Are those not working out for you either?

Don't know because I haven't been compelled to buy the second pass yet. The stages in the first fighter's pass were okay.

Just saying I run out of stages I want to play before I run out of characters I want to play in a session. Who are you hoping is the final dlc character?

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Byleth is my main source maybe I'm biased, but they are fun as all hell IMO.
I've had lots of different secondaries along the way, but ever since they came out I've been on that Byleth train

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
Objectively Byleth. Still a good addition but a character from a franchise that already has a lot of representation, the trailer was just strangely long, and the character in general just isn't very interesting.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Objectively Byleth. Still a good addition but a character from a franchise that already has a lot of representation, the trailer was just strangely long, and the character in general just isn't very interesting.
Objectively does not mean what you think it means.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
Byleth by far. Honestly though I haven't found any of the picks in either pack to be very hype. There's some I kinda like but none that had that holy shit factor like Sonic or Megaman. I've been pretty meh on most of them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to burn anyone. It's legitimately surprising to me how important that character is to the younger generations such that they will double down on the ageist slurring. I don't care who you are, don't call people geriatric because they didn't grow up with the same things you did.

Geriatric Millennial is as much as a slur as zoomer is in that they are both tongue in cheek dismissals of an age group.

It's a funny way to say someone is pushing 40.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Don't know because I haven't been compelled to buy the second pass yet. The stages in the first fighter's pass were okay.

Just saying I run out of stages I want to play before I run out of characters I want to play in a session. Who are you hoping is the final dlc character?
I'm with you on the stages. Probably my biggest issue with Ultimate was the lack of new stages.

As for the final fighter, I'm personally hoping for Ryu Hayabusa, but there are a lot of characters I'd be cool with. I'd take Rayman, Crash, Dixie Kong, Master Chief, Scorpion (if he comes with the MK movie theme), and plenty of others. Like you said, there are so many characters to play that I'm pretty content there.

I would really like a few more large stages like Hyrule Temple. I hope whoever the last fighter is comes with a big stage that's fun for 4 player matches.