• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who was the most boring DLC newcomer to Smash Ultimate?

• Hero

Votes: 105 5.0%
  • Byleth

Votes: 1,093 52.5%
  • Min Min

Votes: 123 5.9%
  • Steve

Votes: 225 10.8%
  • Pyra

Votes: 151 7.3%
  • Kazuya

Votes: 306 14.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 79 3.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Byleth because

1. Underwhelming trailer, tells you immediately who it is.
  2. Another Fire Emblem character which is a series that had a lot of reps already in
  3. Most 3 House fans wanted someone like Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard as the character, Byleth was barely mentioned.
  4. Was the last character for fighter pass one, a lot of people expected a crazier reveal like Banjo, Steve or Sephiroth.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Byleth because
  1. Underwhelming trailer, tells you immediately who it is.
  2. Another Fire Emblem character which is a series that had a lot of reps already in
  3. Most 3 House fans wanted someone like Dimitri, Claude and Edelgard as the character, Byleth was barely mentioned.
  4. Was the last character for fighter pass one, a lot of people expected a crazier reveal like Banjo, Steve or Sephiroth.
  1. Byleth was apparently supposed to be released on December 2019 before an internal delay happened (according to Imran), so it wouldn't surprise me if that trailer was meant for The Game Awards.
  2. Fair
  3. Fair
  4. They don't really care about ending Smash reveal cycles with a bang. For reference, Ultimate's base roster ended on Incineroar.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair…

So while I agree that Twintelle would've been better, Min Min was easily the 2nd best ARMS pick they could've made (WAY better than Sakurai's alternative, that being Ninjara).
I guess I don't really factor in that kind of thing with what I want in Smash. I like Arms and Twintelle was my girl in that game. Min Min was not. So I wanted her.

With that said, I'd probably not like her playstyle cause it'd be the same as Min Min. I'm not mad at Min though, just don't care for her as a character or fighter. I do agree she's better than Ninjara as a pick.

I needed that Arms music in the game though, so someone had to join Smash.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like to think over the last year and a half I've gotten over being a weird aggro troll over Smash reveals and just let folks enjoy their character's addition into this children's video game.

But it's also really, really fun to pick on Byleth.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Including Hero in the poll makes so much sense because of all the Dragon Quest fans who definitely weren't anticipating his inclusion in the series for years and his completely inconsequential move set nobody paid much of any attention to later.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Most? Piranha Plant or Banjo, probably, on account of their gameplay and their overall implementation being rather vanilla by comparison.

But I don't think any of them were actually genuinely boring. I didn't get any favorites in, and likely never will, but I have no reason to be salty and cry like a spoilt 5 year old about it.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
How do we define old, because Xenoblade and yes, even Mario got new characters in the DLC.

my memory completely deleted sephiroth, pyra and specially piranha plant
i like piranha plant because of their weirdness (and i don't consider it a dlc since it was free for a while =P) but i would have zero problem if none of those were added to smash

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Byleth was apparently supposed to be released on December 2019 before an internal delay happened (according to Imran), so it wouldn't surprise me if that trailer was meant for The Game Awards.
  2. Fair
  3. Fair
  4. They don't really care about ending Smash reveal cycles with a bang. For reference, Ultimate's base roster ended on Incineroar.
  1. That makes sense, I remember hearing that somewhere but didn't know if it was true or not
  2. .
  3. .
  4. I know but they ended Smash 4 with Bayonetta who was a pretty hype reveal.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Byleth or Pyra are just boring additions to the game, there were way better characters they could have brought out.

I really, really need Nintendo to realize that Fire Emblem has dozens of classes that aren't sword lords. Byleth was the most egregious here because the house leaders all would've been excellent choices and all three were non-sword weilders.

Good4Squat

Nov 2, 2017
I voted Steve even though he probably doesn't fit as the most boring just because he is the one that feels the most like he was just put in because Minecraft is huge even though he visually imo doesn't fit into the game at all.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Fire Emblem has an outsized portion of the roster ngl. They are all good but Roy and Chrom could have definitely been replaced by characters from other series. FE takes up 8 character slots. That's more than Zelda and the same as Pokemon.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Steve even though he probably doesn't fit as the most boring just because he is the one that feels the most like he was just put in because Minecraft is huge even though he visually imo doesn't fit into the game at all.

Steve looking completely out of place and animating and playing exactly like he does in Minecraft is why he's such a fantastic addition.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Including Hero in the poll makes so much sense because of all the Dragon Quest fans who definitely weren't anticipating his inclusion in the series for years and his completely inconsequential move set nobody paid much of any attention to later.

VariableForcefulIvorybackedwoodswallow-max-1mb.gif

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I've never played smash in my entire life and I correctly guessed the winner

not even sure which game Blythe is in. Is it xeonoblade or fire emblem?

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Sephiroth is probably the most boring choice in my book, and I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess Byleth cause they're the most vanilla and unneeded but they're still cool and fun in a base kind of way. Maybe Steve but then again being able to make terrain on his own is def not nothing but the rest of his moveset is lame.

I dunno all the characters chosen for the DLC have their place and are generally fun. I don't really have any beef with anyone chosen and I got the characters I wanted and a handful of cool ones. The only thing I feel strongly is that a lot of these characters are bastards to fight but otherwise I'm cool with their inclusion

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i was gonna vote for Terry. he's not very interesting to fight.

voted for Steve since i don't care for Minecraft.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's Byleth, and it's not Byleth themselves that is to blame so much as how Nintendo has milked Fire Emblem in the most boring way possible. Between Awakening, Fates, and now Three Houses, Smash has set the expectation going forward that every main character of a mainline Fire Emblem will be in Smash Bros. It isn't even as good as Pokémon's situation, since in that case there's some debate about which new generation Pokémon could get the nod.

Absolutely zero surprise or curveballs with the FE franchise which is uncharacteristic coming from Nintendo and Smash Bros., that you can pretty much write down the protagonist of the next Fire Emblem as a free space for the next Smash Bros.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Byleth was the biggest wet fart of an announcement

Like Goddamn what a boring choice. Imagine we didn't get a fighter pass 2 and they were the last character

People voting for Kazuya can catch this hellsweep

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's Plant, since they're from a super well repped series and their moveset is fun but lacking in pizazz. Their trailer wasn't exactly hype inducing either, and it's extremely apparent they were supposed to be base roster. Fortunately, they were also given away for free for early adopters so it's like... yeah, okay. Overall, every new character has been fun though so it's not like anyone's "bad."

If we count specifically DLC I paid for instead of getting for free, I suppose Byleth. Since they're from a series that has a strongly established base in Smash and their trailer was pretty boring... but their actual moveset and stuff is great though, making them super fun to play and among my most used, up there with Terry. I've been wanting a weapon master style character for years and years and they delivered the concept well. They also, finally, finally, finally brought in a Fire Emblem stage that's based on a recognizable location from the series. Closest we had before was Arena Ferox and like... c'mon. That's not how that place worked in Awakening.

Fire Emblem has an outsized portion of the roster ngl. They are all good but Roy and Chrom could have definitely been replaced by characters from other series. FE takes up 8 character slots. That's more than Zelda and the same as Pokemon.

4 of those "slots" are pretty much just one character with tweaked variables. Roy and Chrom included. It's hard to be down on that when they're not exactly pulling as much dev time as a full character would.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Zelda fans can't even agree on a character to add after Link (three times), Zelda (in regular and ninja flavor) and Ganondorf.

Fire Emblem is a three-decade-old series with sixteen console/handheld entries and a highly successful mobile game that routinely features new protagonists.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'll always be bitter that lame meathead Tekken guy got in as the 2nd Bamco rep instead of Klonoa.
Tekken was one of the last big Japanese gaming IPs without a playable character (Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, & Dark Souls remain), with Kazuya being the series' most recurring (& original) protagonist. His inclusion makes complete sense.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine thinking Terry or Kazuya is a more boring option than yet another Fire Emblem character. And I like playing Byleth.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Of FE's 8 characters, 2 of them (Chrom & Lucina) are echoes that took away from nobody else.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
byleth would be okay if it didnt had so many FE characters before it i think

kazuya is just "meh" to me. i know terry and ryu were added as well so it "fits" but guess i never cared much for tekken

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I can understand people being disappointed with stuff they are not aware of, but the vast majority of the third party additions have an incredible legacy they bring to the series (except I guess Banjo). In Terry's case he brings so many absolutely incredible and diverse songs with him that I am shocked anyone could even jokingly say he is a poor addition.

Not on the list but because they are paid DLC now I say it is easily Piranha Plant. I appreciate the 'weird' choices Sakurai has done in the past but the plant is just too far. I trust the devs and I am sure they could make fun movesets for a character-less kart or a Flag Pole too but it would just be a waste of everyones time for a small laugh.

Jun 2, 2019
Byleth.

Edelgard should have been the Three Houses rep, but they went with the safest and most boring option instead in order not to alienate the fanbase by choosing a Lord over the other two, so in the end we got another generic swordfighter avatar with Monster Hunter's moveset.