• Rise >>> World

Votes: 19 1.6%
  • World >>> Rise

Votes: 466 39.6%
  • Rise = World

Votes: 22 1.9%

• Total voters
Apr 21, 2018
I don't see Rise outselling Luigi's Mansion 3. I think it'd be lucky to hit 10m and even that would be a massive success.

Rise will still be a big success.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
It will outsell the PS4 version of World for sure. In Japan alone I expect it will sell at least 5 mil so overall it should hit 10 mil which would be a massive success.

If Capcom manages to have 2 separate 10+ mil MH series (World on PS5/XSX/PC and Rise on Switch/PC) alternating themselves that would be unbelievable. Do you remember all the "MHW will never hit 10 million" predictions?

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I would've went World >>> Rise before we knew about the PC port, but I'll go World > Rise now, and imo will be fairly close. World sold very well on PC.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious what Sales/MediaCreateEra thinks about how well Rise will do in Japan compared to previous games. The 3DS games weren't quite able to top 3rd Portable, but came close, so how have the market dynamics changed to potentially allow Rise to exceed it?

I think Rise will be the best selling MH game ever in Japan, but that's not really an educated guess. Just a feeling given how hungry Japan seems to be for Switch software.

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Uh ...Hello Japan.

So?

The sales of MH games in Japan have been on the decline ever since MH3.

If you combine the sales of MH4, MH4G, MHX and MHXX they would be close to matching the sales of just MHW.

The post I quoted said 4-5mil. Not sure why you brought a comparison of those games to MHW. Also not sure if you notice but your decline comment is totally off. Your comparing in order a 2nd version of a game into a spin off to a 2nd version of that spin off.

your expectations are always unreal and out of orbit.

Yes Japan is a strong market that doesn't mean Rise will magically outsell world ( which is selling well worldwide ).

My expectations are always unreal huh... out of orbit too šŸ¤”

FYI I never did say MHR > MHW. I'm asking for discussion in the thread but it be even more funnier now with this kind of reply šŸ˜

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually curious what Sales/MediaCreateEra thinks about how well Rise will do in Japan compared to previous games. The 3DS games weren't quite able to top 3rd Portable, but came close, so how have the market dynamics changed to potentially allow Rise to exceed it?

I think Rise will be the best selling MH game ever in Japan, but that's not really an educated guess. Just a feeling given how hungry Japan seems to be for Switch software.

It's actually just come up. My take is that MH4 sales(~4m) would already be a rebound from Generations(~3.4m) and World(~3m).

I think recapturing that Portable 3rd sized audience is going to be difficult a decade later. Not to mention that Rise being the best selling MH game in Japan would also make it the best selling third party games of all time in Japan.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually just come up. My take is that MH4 sales(~4m) would already be a rebound from Generations(~3.4m) and World(~3m).

I think recapturing that Portable 3rd sized audience is going to be difficult a decade later. Not to mention that Rise being the best selling MH game in Japan would also make it the best selling third party games of all time in Japan.

That's interesting, so 5m+ isn't necessarily a sure fire thing?

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I'm thinking it really depends on how these next couple of months go before the release of MHR. If the demo that's coming up is a big hit I could see it giving Rise a huge bump in anticipation.

It depends on how hungry the switch audience is for a portable MH.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
You really love to hype up Switch sales huh? But just like expectations got way out of hand for hardware sales, there's no way Rise passes World, come on now

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
They don't? You don't think every publisher wants their game to outsell their last?

Yeah, they don't. Especially when you're pitting two games of the same franchise against each other.

Monster Hunter Stories 2 is not competing against Monster Hunter Rise, it's competing against every other game releasing the same week it's releasing.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that really puts things into perspective. Makes me wonder if Rise can top 5-6m on Switch in ROW then.

I think something in the Rise's favour which might be underestimated is that MHW seems to have done disproportionately well in Asia(outside of Japan) and Switch seems to be seeing very strong sales there(stronger than PS4 from the data we have) so Rise might perform surprisingly strongly in the region.

It would definitely be a nice one-two punch though to have Animal Crossing: New Horizons in 2020(best selling game ever in Japan) and then Monster Hunter Rise in 2021 as the best selling third party game ever.

Oct 25, 2017
World is in more systems so it will end up selling more.

But Rise is still going to do crazy numbers.
Reasonable take, but I don't think "more systems" is really valid here, even if true. The Xbox version is just so weak sales wise that the Switch's dominance in Japan alone (vs PS4) more than compensates for it.

I think it'll come down to NA performance and if PC gamers show up for MH:R like they did for World.

Jeff Vader

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see it passing World but I do firmly believe it will hit 10 million. And if I'm wrong oh well lol.

Cronogear

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 27, 2017
Rise will do very well, particularly in Japan, but I don't see it surpassing World. Even with PC.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Reasonable take, but I don't think "more systems" is really valid here, even if true. The Xbox version is just so weak sales wise that the Switch's dominance in Japan alone (vs PS4) more than compensates for it.

I think it'll come down to NA performance and if PC gamers show up for MH:R like they did for World.
Good point, well made.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Easily World. Rise will do better than World in Japan but will not come close anywhere else

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
There's a lot more PS4s + Xboxes out there than there are Switches. And I assume we are counting the MHW PS+ copies as sales aswell?

I don't think the Japanese Switch sales will make up for that difference.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
MHW is an evergreen. weirder things have happened, it's worth discussion i suppose. but we all know the answer to this

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot more PS4s + Xboxes out there than there are Switches. And I assume we are counting the MHW PS+ copies as sales aswell?

I don't think the Japanese Switch sales will make up for that difference.
This has never really worked.

The best selling exclusive games of the gen are Switch games, and there are a lot more PS4s out there than Switches. Switch has more 10 and 20 million sellers than PS4 and XBOX.

XBOX sales of World aren't anything to talk about.

It's not as straightforward as "larger userbase = more sales"

Also there's still the PC version to consider.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna take a risk and say Rise will manage to sell a bit more than even World. We know it's got an upcoming PC release, and Switch sales keep surprising us.

That sad, even if Rise sells less than World... World is literally Capcom's best selling game ever. It's a high bar to match.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Yo wait what, Rise is coming to PC?
Answering the question, World. World was just the right game, in the right places, at the right time. It's Capcom's best selling game, period. It'd take a lot to surpass it.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
This has never really worked.

The best selling exclusive games of the gen are Switch games, and there are a lot more PS4s out there than Switches. Switch has more 10 and 20 million sellers than PS4 and XBOX.

XBOX sales of World aren't anything to talk about.

It's not as straightforward as "larger userbase = more sales"

Also there's still the PC version to consider.

Sure. But you are also ignoring MH:W being a PS+ collection game on PS5. That's millions of sales there and Switch/PC don't have an equivalent.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017
The better question is what pushes more HW sales? From what I remember and correctly if I'm wrong PS4 didn't get a huge bump in Japan from MHW?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Mhw obviously. It was on three platforms and aren't the dlc sales included in the sales Capcom reports? Rise will only be on switch. Rise will still sell better than mhw in Japan but given it's on one console don't expect it to outsell world ww

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
It will probably be the second best selling Capcom game of all time but it can't surpass World. Thats on 3 platforms. Now I could see it selling better on Switch than World has on PS4 for sure but it won't sell more than the grand total of World. It will most definitely sell better than World in Japan but thats about it. It'll be a huge game nonetheless.

Its a 10 million plus game either way. It'll do fantastic in Japan, and just like World it'll do fantastic everywhere else. Monster Hunter is in the big leagues now. Like I don't fuckin' get how some of y'all think its not gonna do fantastic in the west. Monster hunter is bigger than ever by a huge margin, the Switch is still doing crazy well, and they have nothing but Rise for March. Its gonna be big.

Last edited:

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Sure. But you are also ignoring MH:W being a PS+ collection game on PS5. That's millions of sales there and Switch/PC don't have an equivalent.
This is about sales though. PS+ and Game Pass don't come into this particular discussion. It's not about which is played by more people.

And yes, PC has several equivalents. Who's to say Rise won't appear on PC Game Pass down the road, or given away on Humble Choice or EGS years from now?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It'll be competitive with the PS4 sales for World, but there's no way a single platform release in Switch will outdo the entirety of World's multiplatform release.