• World >>> Rise

Votes: 466 39.6%
  • Rise = World

Votes: 22 1.9%

• Total voters

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
First off, this is overall all sales of the original games. So if Rise gets a Rise "G" Version, it isn't counted with total sales. Same goes for Iceborne.

Second, this is for all platforms combine Worldwide Lifetime. So MHW has PS4/X1/PC and MHR will have NSW/PC.

EiHZzP2XcAAuCl7.jpg:large
495455dadec1c5bdb85954a012ff348a.jpg

📝 Notes 🗒

-MHW is by far Capcom biggest successful game, nearly dwarfing every other iteration and has sold roughly 15mil and no signs of stopping

-MHW had DLC (iceborne) that helped pushed these sales

-MHR is releasing on NSW and being portable too can be seen as an unknown factor in terms of sales potential.

-MH popularity overall skyrocketed thanks to MHW debut and a strong marketing with Capcom back when it releases.

-MHW2 Probably won't be out intill 2023 so legs might not really be affected (both MHW/MHR)

Anyways which do you think sells more? Does MHR have a chance? Does MHW only happen once in a lifetime in terms of sales for a franchise?

Discuss!!!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
World will sell more in the West at the end of the day, Rise will sell better in Japan. Total sales will probably be higher for World due to the wider market.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
MHW just by virtue of it being available on more platforms, I don't think the bump in the japanese market due to being handheld will make much of a difference

The lower PC requirements might make it more popular than world on PC, who knows

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
World being on more platform is a bit unfair, but in Japan, Rise will easily surpass it.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Easily World so many people who never even touched the series checked it out.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Probably less. I think a lot of people bought MHW because of strong word of mouth but I think this was also the MH game where a lot of people found out that MH wasn't for them.

I've got nothing to back this up though.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
world is probably going to be nigh impossible to top just because it's available on more platforms but rise is hitting a platform world missed and will be hitting pc eventually so it's probably going to be within striking distance, given how well world did in asia on PC

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Probably less. I think a lot of people bought MHW because of strong word of mouth but I think this was also the MH game where a lot of people found out that MH wasn't for them.

I've got nothing to back this up though.

It's a good point, it's all unknown intill mhw2 and MHR comes out

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
If we go by what's in the Capcom leaks thread Rise should also get a PC port one year after. I'd factor that as well and we have a topic.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
World is mult-plat so it'll absolutely sell more than Rise. Plus, World is kind of a gateway into Monster Hunter for new players in a way that I don't think Rise really will be.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
I think the PC base will more than make up for the multi-platform edge World had. It's the latest MH entry, I don't see it not outperforming World. That + old favorites reimagined in a post-World engine make it a safe bet especially more so if they do another Iceborne-like expansion.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think MHR can reach 15mil so probably World. I don't think MHW2 could reach 15mil either though.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
People saying "World because it was multiplatform" for some reason forget that PC is the biggest market which Rise will also have and it's releasing on the Switch or acting as it being on 3 platforms is somehow better ignoring that Xbox is basically a non-entity

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rise will be a decent bit lower than World, but there's a good chance it ends up Capcom's second best seller by a clear margin.

Ricelord

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
its world>>>rise. To even come close the switch rise version would have to outright outsell both ps4 and xbox world version.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
World for sure, but Japanese & eventually PC sales for Rise will keep it at respectable numbers.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
World isnt gonna stop selling anytime soon though - even Capcom said that Rise is gonna result in continued World sales.
Seems like a unfair comparison lol.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
After mocking the wrong MHW predictions for so long, it's only fair that I risk making a fool of myself with my own prediction. I think it'll sell around 7m in the absolute best case scenario.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, Rise is coming out on PC too? Awesome if true. That will certainly help boost its numbers, but I can't see it edging out World.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If Rise really is only releasing on Switch/PC, then World will still remain on top. I don't see Rise doing 10M+

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I think Rise can hit 10M on Switch and then a few million more on PC but I don't see it surpassing World.

DrM2theJ

Feb 13, 2018
At last count, MHW has sold 16.4M copies worldwide up through early November (https://www.pcgamesn.com/monster-hunter-world/iceborne-sales)

Meanwhile, Nintendo Switch has sold 15M units in Japan as of September (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-switch-has-sold-more-than-15m-units-in-japan)

Nintendo Switch accounts for 89.8% of console sales in Japan (https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._the_next_years_says_game_industry_consultant)

Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (NSW) sold 3.4M copies as of February 2020 (https://gonintendo.com/stories/3547...ations-ultimate-sits-at-3-4-million-copies-so)

So napkin math, about 20-25% of Switch owners in Japan bought MHGU.

Monster Hunter World did far better overseas relative to Japan compared with Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate (NSW) (https://twitter.com/aevanko/status/1260189577702064128)

Based on all this data...

I expect Monster Hunter Rise to do better in Japan than Monster Hunter World did as a result of the platform spread and popularity of Monster Hunter there.

I expect Monster Hunter Rise to initially sell very well (generally) on Switch overseas as well, but unless it releases on other platforms, it will not do as well as Monster Hunter World simply because it is limited to a single platform.

If Monster Hunter Rise eventually comes to PC (I'm not going to link sources, but sufficed to say there's reasons to believe it will), I think there's a very real chance it also shows up on other consoles and then I think it very well may be able to overtake Monster Hunter World.

I do not think on Nintendo Switch alone that it will overtake Monster Hunter World, but I do think it will do substantially greater numbers than MHGU did.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not World numbers but I think people are severely underestimating Rise.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I got caught in the hype for world, won't be doing the same thing ever again

Cubo

May 14, 2018
MHW in PS4+XBox are around 11 million or so? I actually think it's possible for Switch to do that, or fall a bit short. Then PC version will need to keep up with World then. I voted Rise > World :p

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
First off, this is overall all sales of the original games. So if Rise gets a Rise "G" Version, it isn't counted with total sales. Same goes for Iceborne.

-MHW had DLC (iceborne) that helped pushed these sales

So G-Version won't count, but the boost of World from Iceborne does?

Like I get it, but it seems a bit unfair as "Monster Hunter World + Iceborne" bundles means sales go to Monster Hunter World, but Rise-G won't count.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
World is a juggernaut on multiple platforms. Not a chance for Rise to outperform it.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Due to the recent leaks we know PS4 version is ~8.7M and Xbox ~1.8M.

PC ~6M

I could see the Switch version getting close to PS4 unless the game underperforms in the west, I assume Japanese sales will be considerably higher than the 3.2M World sold on PS4.

PC I have no idea, World looks much better than Rise but the gameplay additions in the latter look crazy fun.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Due to the recent leaks we know PS4 version is ~8.7M and Xbox ~1.8M.

PC ~6M

I could see the Switch version getting close to PS4 unless the game underperforms in the west, I assume Japanese sales will be considerably higher than the 3.2M World sold on PS4.

PC I have no idea, World looks much better than Rise but the gameplay additions in the latter look crazy fun.

Rise having lower requirements on PC might actually be a boon.