Votes: 223 34.6%
  • Dead Red Redemption

Votes: 114 17.7%

• Total voters

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Pokemon SS. Long standing franchise with big fanbase, some of which will staunchly defend its sub-mediocre quality and arbitrarily attack legitimate criticism. Meta score bloated high due to publisher strong arming and media fear of push back, only to see user reviews tearing it apart later.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Metal Gear Solid V for sure, critics loved it, it changes a lot of what the series is known for (outside Peace Walker) and for that is super divisive among the fans.

I don't know why Death Stranding is leading the votes when it's not a franchise...

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely not Death Stranding. The player reception is largely positive across the board. The review thread really has distorted the image of that game. It's the most anti-TLJ game on the list.

No idea why folks think it would be that one when MGSV is in the list, and is more apt for the TLJ comparison.

RDR2 doesn't apply either. It's not hated outside this incredibly insular forum.

Oct 25, 2017
But in Giant Bomb's top three most disappointing games of 2018

And? The game continues to sell extremely well and doesn't appear to have the negative WoM you'd think was associated with it after reading Era for so long.

I guess put GB in that list too. I just don't list to them or care for them so I wasn't up to date on that. These are all extremely minority criticisms of the game, not comparable to TLJ at all.

Oct 25, 2017
I think TLJ is the best SW movie by far, so probably The Phantom Pain, which is a masterpiece in terms of gameplay.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
And? The game continues to sell extremely well and doesn't appear to have the negative WoM you'd think was associated with it after reading Era for so long.

I guess put GB in that list too. I just don't list to them or care for them so I wasn't up to date on that. These are all extremely minority criticisms of the game, not comparable to TLJ at all.

It was more a joke than anything else.

My real answer would be Life is Strange 2 in that the biggest detractors probably bristle at the presence of non-white characters.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
All of those games are better than whatever TLJ was.

Man i cant believe i gave it a second chance on Netflix. It still sucks.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding isn't important enough to be a Last Jedi. It's a new IP, not a 40 year old franchise

I think Final Fantasy XV is the best equivalent, but we all know it had a troubled development, and no one thinks it's a masterpiece.

Pokémon Sword and Shield is probably it. People will be fighting over this game for years to come.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Really hard to find a correct parallel considering the backlash towards TLJ was less to do about the film itself and more about "SJWs ruining Star Wars!"

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
None of those fit the bill.

Last Jedi was objectively bad from many stand points. It managed to pull what season 8 Game of Thrones did where it killed pretty much all interest I have in the franchise. I don't care what comes next, I don't care about the future of the franchise, and anything else announced in it I'm very jaded on.

None of those games have killed my interest in their respective franchises. Sure they aren't perfect and some people are upset over certain things but I don't think any of those actively harmed their franchises to the point where future releases will be impacted.

Oh, hey, Keji! Long time no see, dude! Don't think I've seen you outside of the old Amazon Forum stomping grounds.

Hate to see you had a bad response to The Last Jedi. I personally LOVED the hell out of it. I'd have to rank it at least 4th in the franchise, and maybe 3rd. It wasn't perfect, but what it did well, man, chef's kiss. The subversions were really well-needed after the way, way too safe Episode VII, IMO. And I'll defend the direction Johnson took Luke Skywalker till my dying days - it was exactly what I'd want out of it.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll agree to disagree on this one, but it's good to hear from you again, my man.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
The issues people have with TLJ are not the same as any of the games listed in the poll.

entock

Jan 13, 2018
Is the Last Jedi that polarizing? i thought it was ok but I didn't love or hate it. It did have some awful parts that drag too long in it that but overall I prefer it to phantom menace(besides the lightsaber fight at the end being godlike).

That being said I would say FFXV. I Love the idea of it and certain pieces of it but I understand why people hate it. They chopped up the story into a movie, anime, dlc, etc you need to watch to get the gist. Also if you don't infer some things the story can be confusing.

Also The last quarter of the game was so rushed and its obvious

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon SS. Long standing franchise with big fanbase, some of which will staunchly defend its sub-mediocre quality and arbitrarily attack legitimate criticism. Meta score bloated high due to publisher strong arming and media fear of push back, only to see user reviews tearing it apart later.
If you are trying to say Disney strong armed critics to give TLJ good reviews then you are pushing fucking alt-right blatant lies and you need to rethink what you are saying. So I *REALLY* hope you aren't saying this.

Disney does not strong arm critics to give their movies good reviews. That is a fact. It is fake news bullshit invented by the alt-right scene on Youtube.

Not to mentions reviews are not tearing apart TLJ later. TLJ love among critics has been as steadfast as it was when it came out.

Disney does not strong arm critics into giving their movies good reviews. Just look at Lion King.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
hmm which one of these games is well-liked in general and well-regarded by critics but certain types of folk don't like.

OP
OP
品川駅

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I wonder if is possible to mix the flame wars of all those games + the last Jedi in just one thread.
If you are trying to say Disney strong armed critics to give TLJ good reviews then you are pushing fucking alt-right blatant lies and you need to rethink what you are saying. So I *REALLY* hope you aren't saying this.

Disney does not strong arm critics to give their movies good reviews. That is a fact. It is fake news bullshit invented by the alt-right scene on Youtube.

Not to mentions reviews are not tearing apart TLJ later. TLJ love among critics has been as steadfast as it was when it came out.

Disney does not strong arm critics into giving their movies good reviews. Just look at Lion King.
You should stop with the alt-right boogeyman for every criticism at TLJ. You are proving nothing and instead of talking about games you keep defending TLJ even on the gaming side lol.

That poster just implied that Disney may excert certain pressure with ads and advanced movie screenings to sites and that may also be the case, we don't know 🤷‍♂️

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mass Effect 3 is the real answer. Incredibly divisive despite having some good parts but crazy fans get way too worked up about it.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if is possible to mix the flame wars of all those games + the last Jedi in just one thread.

You should stop with the alt-right boogeyman for every criticism at TLJ. You are proving nothing and instead of talking about games you keep defending TLJ even on the gaming side lol.

That poster just implied that Disney may excert certain pressure with ads and advanced movie screenings to sites and that may also be the case, we don't know 🤷‍♂️
Disney does not put pressure on critics to give good reviews (many prominent blockbuster Disney films get mixed to weak reviews). That is absurd conspiracy theory nonsense. It's not " we don't know 🤷‍♂️". We know. For a fact. It absolutely without question does not happen and has never happened. This is not up for debate. It's facts vs fake made up conspiracy theories.

It's not an alt-right boogeyman. It's a well established fact the made up bullshit about Disney forcing critics to give TLJ good reviews came from the alt-right.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding out of those. I loved the Metal Gear series but was really worried about DS after the first couple of reveals. When it came out the game was more exploration focused instead of combat focused I was concerned that an unrestrained Kojima game may be too incoherent for me to enjoy. Ironically it wasn't until the reviews started rolling out that I actually decided on purchasing the game. Even more ironically, my initial fears of not having enough action - the relaxed focus on exploration and tempo of the game, is the main reason I love it so much. The story is absolutely out there but within its own narrative/universe it is completely coherent. Death Stranding completely turned my ignorant idea of what I considered a "Kojima game" right on its head and offered a completely unique and memorable experience I didn't know I wanted. I'm glad I took the plunge and decided to experience the game for myself as it's easily in my top 3 games of the generation.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
None of these.
To be comparable to TLJ, we need a game that had legit criticism drowned out by stupid sexist and anti-SJW talking points.

So its Battlefield 5.
"Cool female Soldiers?? Muh historical realism!!" *rocket-jumps out of an aircraft

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Disney does not put pressure on critics to give good reviews (many prominent blockbuster Disney films get mixed to weak reviews). That is absurd conspiracy theory nonsense. It's not " we don't know 🤷‍♂️". We know. For a fact. It absolutely without question does not happen and has never happened. This is not up for debate. It's facts vs fake made up conspiracy theories.

It's not an alt-right boogeyman. It's a well established fact the made up bullshit about Disney forcing critics to give TLJ good reviews came from the alt-right.
You're right, but I think what he means by alt-right boogeyman is how often you tend to throw the term around in your defensive posts

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're right, but I think what he means by alt-right boogeyman is how often you tend to throw the term around in your defensive posts
I mean, I wish I didn't have to. But the alt-right creates and pushes countless made up conspiracy theories against this film (as they did against Captain Marvel as well). The conspiracy theory stuff, such as this, all originates from that scene.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
None of these lol. I vote for Metroid Other M.

• Poor pacing.
  • Bad dialogue.
  • Character's motivations completely different than what the series established, out of seemingly nowhere.
  • Major plot points that go absolutely nowhere.
  • 8th entry in the core series (if we include Metroid 1-4 and Prime 1-3).
  • Forgettable soundtrack relying on nostalgia.
  • Wants to be taken way more seriously than it deserves to be.

• Really awkwardly written relationship between main character and mentor character.
  • Major mentor character kills themselves out of nowhere.

All Other M is missing is forcing a bunch of lazy jokes thrown in every minute hoping that at least one will stick. It's also missing the part where fans of the series send racist and sexist harrassment and death threats to an actress.

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure how Red Dead Redemption 2 fits in there. Just because it's divisive on Era doesn't mean it's divisive in general. Oh and lol at the BotW mentions. Some of you guys really can't get over your grudge for the game

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I'd argue it's actually MGSV. Rejected some of the staples of its series and tried something new which is why it was dissapointing to some of the hardcore fanbase. Beloved by critics. Followed a far more fan-service centric entry.

Also they were both good (but not quite great).

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I have to agree with duckroll. The loud criticism regarding The Last Jedi came from fragile males, so to say. Take that out of the equation and you're left with an entry that had as much praise and criticism as any of the others before it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It cannot be anything else than Death Stranding. Even professional reviews are split between "this sucks" and "this is amazing".

I don't understand why people are saying RDR2; its critical response seems to be rather homogeneous?

Edit: This is assuming the premise of the thread is "most divisive game", and ignores that TLJ is not that divisive in terms of professional critics.

Dec 25, 2018
Coming from someone who though TLJ was alright but is familiar with the online backlash, in comparison to having a large backlash online, spawning a bunch of youtube videos ranging from thorough critique to raging youtube manbaby and petitions on changing major aspects of it, people who worked on the thing getting too much shit flung at them from people online, its definitely Mass effect 3. For the games listed, outside of some critical divisiveness I haven't really seen anything that had as strong a reaction reaching anything like what was goin on back then, have fans got a bakery to send 300 cupcakes with Norman Reedus's face printed on them and a truck of Monster energy Drinks to Kojima productions?

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
In my humble opinion, maybe...

331713_front.jpg

?

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who hasn't seen TLJ and therefore mostly knows about nerds hating it because of the colour of a character's hair, I'm gonna say Life Is Strange.

I wouldn't say it was for those reasons, but the backlash against TLJ seems to have way more in common with backlash against the Life is Strange series than anything in the OP, IMO.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
I guess it would be RDR2? The thing about Last Jedi is that it was praised by critics but fans mixed opinions and RDR2 is the only one that fits that.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It has to be MGSV which is bad in every possible way.

None of those fit the bill.

Last Jedi was objectively bad from many stand points. It managed to pull what season 8 Game of Thrones did where it killed pretty much all interest I have in the franchise. I don't care what comes next, I don't care about the future of the franchise, and anything else announced in it I'm very jaded on.

None of those games have killed my interest in their respective franchises. Sure they aren't perfect and some people are upset over certain things but I don't think any of those actively harmed their franchises to the point where future releases will be impacted.

You think The Last Jedi harmed the franchise to the point where future releases will be impacted? Whatever that means.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
None of these lol. I vote for Metroid Other M.

• Poor pacing.
  • Bad dialogue.
  • Character's motivations completely different than what the series established, out of seemingly nowhere.
  • Major plot points that go absolutely nowhere.
  • 8th entry in the core series (if we include Metroid 1-4 and Prime 1-3).
  • Forgettable soundtrack relying on nostalgia.
  • Wants to be taken way more seriously than it deserves to be.

• Really awkwardly written relationship between main character and mentor character.
  • Major mentor character kills themselves out of nowhere.

All Other M is missing is forcing a bunch of lazy jokes thrown in every minute hoping that at least one will stick. It's also missing the part where fans of the series send racist and sexist harrassment and death threats to an actress.
It's also missing the part of being controversial. 97% of the fanbase hates it.