• Dead Red Redemption

Votes: 114 17.7%

• Total voters

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
Hey,

You see, the Last Jedi is a highly controversial movie so polarized that you have to love it or hate it, no middle point. And that makes sure that every thread is full of sweet sweet flame wars 🔥between the two sides.

So going by this premise, in the recent years we had some highly controversial titles and I am curious about which one Era thinks is the most controversial of them all. The requisite is that is still controversial and the storm hasn't calmed yet.

I am using recent titles because I am too lazy to look for every game that was divisive and some nerd will post:" Yeah but what about X title release in 1995" without reading the whole op.

So era, which one is the most polarizing of them all?

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Out of these it has to be Death Stranding, but yeah RDR2 is a better example.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
An entry that almost killed the franchise off and sent it into hiatus because it was so bad? It's Mass Effect 3.
I know it's not as recent as the other games, but it's spot on.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
None of these games have a vocal group of alt-right losers contaminating all discourse by dissing it in bad faith though.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like only Star Wars fans think that Last Jedi was bad. Its a very standard movie in the Star Wars franchise if your a casual fan or a non fan.
But in the context of this thread probably Death Stranding or Bioshock Infinite.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I usually avoid conversations on most all of those games in the poll, but as of right now I'd say it's Death Stranding. At least with Sword & Shield there's a general, observable middle ground where people acknowledge the issues but still enjoy aspects of the game.

Sep 12, 2018
My instinctual response was Death Stranding but having thought about it more and with it being a sequel to a beloved series it's Red Dead Redemption 2.

Death Stranding is like the AAA equivalent to an A24 movie, or like when millions went to see The Tree of Life. Playing in multiplexes despite perplexing a tonne of people going to see it.

Last edited:

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Sword and Shield imo. The fanbase is rabidly tearing itself apart over these games, and in the end it will still make heaps of money. It's reached the same level of "bitch eating crackers" that many Star Wars fans had over TLJ. And like TLJ it's a flawed but decent overall product that mostly gives the cold shoulder to its most devout fans.

Death Stranding is definitely love it or hate it, but most Kojima fans seem pleased with it. The people who don't like it are generally people who didn't buy into the premise in the first place, and don't really seem angry about it more just indifferent and disappointed. I just think the Pokemon rage is more of a vocal dumpster fire than people who don't like DS.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
TLJ had good writing yet every option here has terrible writing. can't click on anything.

Sep 15, 2019
None of those fit the bill.

Last Jedi was objectively bad from many stand points. It managed to pull what season 8 Game of Thrones did where it killed pretty much all interest I have in the franchise. I don't care what comes next, I don't care about the future of the franchise, and anything else announced in it I'm very jaded on.

None of those games have killed my interest in their respective franchises. Sure they aren't perfect and some people are upset over certain things but I don't think any of those actively harmed their franchises to the point where future releases will be impacted.

Sep 12, 2018

Last Jedi was subjectively bad from many stand points. It managed to pull what season 8 Game of Thrones did where it killed pretty much all interest I have in the franchise. I don't care what comes next, I don't care about the future of the franchise, and anything else announced in it I'm very jaded on.

None of those games have killed my interest in their respective franchises. Sure they aren't perfect and some people are upset over certain things but I don't think any of those actively harmed their franchises to the point where future releases will be impacted.
Fixed your post.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019

Last Jedi was objectively bad from many stand points. It managed to pull what season 8 Game of Thrones did where it killed pretty much all interest I have in the franchise. I don't care what comes next, I don't care about the future of the franchise, and anything else announced in it I'm very jaded on.

I agree on this.

Sep 12, 2018
I had it right the first time. Plot holes, retcons, disconnect from the film its a sequel to, massive leaps in logic, and more are objectively bad choices. That doesn't mean everything about it is bad but there are many things which are bad.
The movie almost entirely worked, plot holes don't matter, the leaps in logic are entirely in keeping with the series and this is all just your opinion at the end of the day, as it is mine. There is no objective measure of good or bad in movies, art is subjective and I wish we'd stop doing this approach.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Of those, probably Metal Gear Solid V. Damn fine game; the story has been told, everything else after MGS4 is just a bonus, and it plays like a dream. But other people feel it is legit terrible and retroactively hurt the series. I don't know how that works, but different strokes and all that.

Final Fantasy XII at the time was pretty polarizing, as well, but people have been coming back around to it over the past few years. There was "it plays itself," the Vaan/Penelo hate brigade, people who said the story was boring because of its political nature... yeah, it wasn't a good time to be an FFXII fan from about 2006-2010.

Mass Effect 3. I'm not sure I need to elaborate.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Death Stranding is so divisive than even as I've beaten it I can't decide if I hated it or loved it

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
A game that's so polarising people can't have a genuine discussion on its merits? A game that taints discussion on future games of the series? A game that is pretty good on its own (YMMV), but pretty bad within its series (again, YMMV)? A game that tried to shake things up and do something different, for better or worse?

DmC.

VaanXSnake

Banned
Jul 18, 2018
The movie almost entirely worked, plot holes don't matter, the leaps in logic are entirely in keeping with the series and this is all just your opinion at the end of the day, as it is mine. There is no objective measure of good or bad in movies, art is subjective and I wish we'd stop doing this approach.

That's wrong... You can objectively measure if a movie is good or not but you can love a bad movie and hate a great one.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
I haven't played Death Stranding yet but judging by how polarizing it seems to be I voted that. It wasn't as universally praised by critics as TLJ though. I would personally say Chrono Cross is a better equivalent.

Also lol at the people calling the film objectively bad

That's wrong... You can objectively measure if a movie is good or not but you can love a bad movie and hate a great one.
Which ironically people who hate the film don't seem to recognize. There's a reason people in the industry tend to love it.

Sep 15, 2019

Luke goes from going into hiding leaving a map behind so he can be found if he's ever needed again to suddenly leaving to die and not wanting to be found.

Luke who thought Darth Vader, child murderer, could be redeemed, figured the best way to handle a teenager having dark thoughts was to maybe kill them in their sleep.

Kylo Ren's scar moves so it can look cooler.

Luke's lightsaber from Cloud City is completely forgotten about.

The film takes place right where Force Awakens ends yet acts as if there's a time skip with injured characters who were mortally wounded being back to 100% within the hour.

Despite taking place over the course of 18 hours there's more travel between worlds than any of the prior films making distance completely irrelevant when before it mattered.

This list goes on.

Look the film was shot beautifully, the score was amazing, people did the best they could with the material at hand but objectively the story is bad, poorly written, thought out, and doesn't work as a sequel to another story. It drops plot threads it's no longer interested in following, picks up new ones with zero explanation, and is very clearly doing its own thing despite being the second act of a three act bigger picture.

This isn't a matter of "is it art" it's just bad storytelling and that's a very objective thing.

Whether you enjoyed it or not personally doesn't matter.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I'd actually argue that XY is the Pokemon game this applies to, not SwSh.

The Last Jedi is a fantastic film, one of the best in the series, the critics were right about it, and it's the loud angry fans who are wrong. I suppose this also applies to SwSh, but more so to XY I think because critics were more positive about XY than they were about SwSh.

But as for the poll, I don't care about the other four games listed and haven't played three of them so I can't comment on those.

Sep 12, 2018
Luke goes from going into hiding leaving a map behind so he can be found if he's ever needed again to suddenly leaving to die and not wanting to be found.

Luke who thought Darth Vader, child murderer, could be redeemed, figured the best way to handle a teenager having dark thoughts was to maybe kill them in their sleep.

Kylo Ren's scar moves so it can look cooler.

Luke's lightsaber from Cloud City is completely forgotten about.

The film takes place right where Force Awakens ends yet acts as if there's a time skip with injured characters who were mortally wounded being back to 100% within the hour.

Despite taking place over the course of 18 hours there's more travel between worlds than any of the prior films making distance completely irrelevant when before it mattered.

This list goes on.

Look the film was shot beautifully, the score was amazing, people did the best they could with the material at hand but objectively the story is bad, poorly written, thought out, and doesn't work as a sequel to another story. It drops plot threads it's no longer interested in following, picks up new ones with zero explanation, and is very clearly doing its own thing despite being the second act of a three act bigger picture.

This isn't a matter of "is it art" it's just bad storytelling and that's a very objective thing.

Whether you enjoyed it or not personally doesn't matter.
You just listing things is not an objective measure of good or bad lol.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
none of those games are awful, so... none of them

lol

but I voted death stranding as it seems to be the most divisive, something like RDR 2 is only really divisive in more hardcore circles and MGS5 is widely accepted to have fantastic gameplay but a weak, unfinished story

Sep 12, 2018
Being dismissive of story issues doesn't change the fact that it's a bad story.
And you repeatedly calling something objectively bad doesn't make it so.

I just completely reject this completely cold, logical almost CinemaSins approach to analyzing movies. Like what does a scar moving on a person's face matter at all? You're looking at a work of imagination like it's the foundation to a building.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
The Last Jedi is not controversial. If we talk about artificial controversy, so something hated by a vocal minority then ok.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
I'm not sure if there is a game that's so divisive that in a forum thread that's trying to compare it to divisive entries in a completely different medium, assholes will write entire paragraphs about how it's objectively bad even though that's not what the thread is about at all.

Sep 15, 2019
And you repeatedly calling something objectively bad doesn't make it so.

I just completely reject this completely cold, logical almost CinemaSins approach to analyzing movies. Like what does a scar moving on a person's face matter at all? You're looking at a work of imagination like it's the foundation to a building.

I like how you say things can't be objective, then list how I'm being objective, and wonder why things like continuity should matter in a visual medium like films....

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Mass Effect 3, where are you?

You cannot be TLJ without screwing up the lore and causing an obnoxious backlash that ousts all its fans as pieces of shit, and I say that as someone who fully hates Mass Effect 3 and didn't care for Rian Johnson's TLJ script.

Nestunt

Oct 27, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Metal Gear Solid V

Good entry, in some ways better than its predecessors, but it doesn't fit with what we've come to expect of the franchise.

Tough to separate its qualities from the all-encompassing mythos, particularly when so much of the others is referenced.