• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 30, 2019
A secondary motivation. I learned of capoeira's existence from Lucio (when his relevant skin dropped) and began seriously practicing. Regardless, it's an unspoken expectation that as a capoeirista, you learn Portuguese on top of everything else. So I do my Duolingo lessons to keep in my master's good graces lol.
Wait...capoeira competency partially hinges on knowledge of Portugeuse? Or is that your instructor's preference. That's so cool regardless though.

Edit: Rereading, that's what you just said. Don't mind me, just tipsy.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Serbo-Croatian, English and Japanese (though my actual Japanese speaking is horrifically bad because I spend 99% of my time reading).

English is my best even though it's not my first because I emigrated at a young age and work in it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I speak English, took three years of Spanish, and have been self-studying Japanese on and off for 11 years but not very intensively. I know enough Spanish to write a business email in Spanish with some help, and enough Japanese to struggle through a text heavy game and understand most of what's going on with a lot of work, but wouldn't feel comfortable holding a conversation in either for very long. If someone asks me what languages I speak I just say English.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A secondary motivation. I learned of capoeira's existence from Lucio (when his relevant skin dropped) and began seriously practicing. Regardless, it's an unspoken expectation that as a capoeirista, you learn Portuguese on top of everything else. So I do my Duolingo lessons to keep in my master's good graces lol.
Well, that's certainly one way to get motivated. I actually have a book on Portuguese myself, I tried learning that too before but dropped it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...capoeira competency partially hinges on knowledge of Portugeuse? Or is that your instructor's preference. That's so cool regardless though.

Edit: Rereading, that's what you just said. Don't mind me, just tipsy.
Haha, it's okay. But yes, if you seriously begin practicing, it is good form to achieve some form of fluency.

Well, that's certainly one way to get motivated. I actually have a book on Portuguese myself, I tried learning that too before but dropped it.
Duolingo's gamified way of learning has kept me motivated quite a bit. Had a memorable experience as well on Overwatch talking to a Brazilian who had made their way to the global chat.

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017
Other than Spanish, which is my native language, I speak pretty good English. I can also understand slowly spoken Portuguese, but get completely lost at anything resembling conversational speed, so I wouldn't really say I know Portuguese. Also learning Korean right now and can catch a sentence now and then, but I'm still only getting started.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Native Spanish, fluent English, and conversational Japanese. I can read Japanese much better than I can write or speak it, though.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Spanish as my native language, English, and I'm really close to finally start speaking French fluently, in a way I feel fully satisfied with myself; which is basically getting the sense of the language, almost no doubting what you say except of course, expanding in-depth vocabulary, progressively.

There is something really unique in learning and knowing multiple languages. It gives you this God Mode level of extra confidence and security, like no other thing.

After French, next stop for me will be Italian (I've checked it out already, seems easy peasy for me), and then German as the ultimate challenge.

kbmyac

Oct 27, 2017
I speak English, Hindi and Telugu fluently. Can speak bits and pieces of French, Marathi and Tamil

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
German (native language)

English (good reading and understanding. OK speaking because no practice)
French (had it for 4 years in school. But that was 20 years ago, so not much is left..)

Dec 31, 2017
Had 2 mother tongues in the household, then added English to that. Learned German over a year now and have reached a pretty advanced level.

Really makes me appreciate the ability I had as a kid to just absorb language. Learning on my own as an adult required serious energy and effort.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Portuguese (native), English and some Spanish.

But I'm too insecure to speak English/Spanish out loud.

Duolingo's gamified way of learning has kept me motivated quite a bit. Had a memorable experience as well on Overwatch talking to a Brazilian who had made their way to the global chat.

Love Duolingo. Memrise is great as well.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
English, poorly, and that's it. Have tried to learn Spanish and Japanese at multiple points in my life and have always lost the drive to actually go beyond the most baseline things. If I at least had a freaking vocabulary in English it'd be one thing, but I really do have problems articulating myself.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
English and Japanese at fluency. Learning a second language is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. I want to learn a third someday.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Fluent in French and English, and I can understand some Japanese (currently reading through a Murakami Haruki book in Japanese without much trouble), but I can't speak it.

In the future I want to eventually become fluent in German and reach at least some basic proficiency in Chinese.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
For speaking in particular: English (Native), German (Intermediate), Japanese (Waystage)
My German has slowly decayed as I've not pursued much opportunity to use it since leaving Europe many years back, but I still have a pretty firm grasp of it.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
Spanish (PR) but was raised to speak primarily English because that's where the money's at.

Now I live in the southern US and I've picked up shitty English and a bit of a drawl.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
English and French.

Took online classes at uni for Portuguese 6-7 years ago, I getting along with it quite well. I continue with my studies via some online programs but I lost motivation after a few months. It's a shame because I think I would've been fluent by now.

Oct 30, 2017
In terms of fluency, English >> Filipino/Tagalog >>>> Chavacano >> Spanish >>>>>> Cebuano/Bisaya.

Grew up in a Filipino and Cebuano-speaking household, but can only speak the former since my dad can't speak it and so we made do with it. I learned Chavacano from online friends who were from Zamboanga and self-studied it after. English is taught in the Philippines but didn't get totally fluent with it until I moved to the states. It was also this time I got exposed to Spanish, but have been on and off with it nowadays.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
Italian and English. Surprised I haven't seen many Italians in this topic yet, I'm always surprised by how many Italian users there are in Era.
I've been trying to learn Japanese for a while, still very basic though.

anamika

May 18, 2018
5 Indian languages and English.

On that note, I have been watching so much Nordic drama, French and German TV shows on Netflix these days that I can finally understand why they have been called Indo-European languages. It's been fun to recognize so many words in these languages that have the same meaning in Hindi (Spoken in Northern India) and that's been a fascinating reveal of the connection between languages for me.

Watching Barbarians on Netflix and I could even recognize a few words of the Latin they were speaking!

Theodran

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
My native language is Icelandic, but I am also fluent in English and Japanese.

I guess I can read Danish, Swedish and Norwegian, mostly thanks to learning Danish in junior and senior high, but listening/speaking is not great.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Native Swedish speaker, fluid english speaker and some basic knowledge of german (you forget a language you're not practicing fast though).

I guess I understand all Scandinavian languages, depending on talking speed. We're able to communicate with each other though.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Swedish is my mother tongue.
I speak excellent English. Pronounciation isn't spot on but I understand it 100%.
German - enough to get around in very basic situations.
Japanese - enough to understand basic anime interactions when subtitles are off or wrong

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Native Swedish speaker, fluid english speaker and some basic knowledge of german (you forget a language you're not practicing fast though).

I guess I understand all Scandinavian languages, depending on talking speed. We're able to communicate with each other though.
Except counting in danish :) No one except the danes can understand that.