Oct 27, 2017
Currently playing through Cold Steel II after loving the first game (so much so I'd say it's one of my favorite RPGs now). However, I'm not really enjoying the sequel as much as I did the original.

Been playing for 20 hours now, and it really feels like the way things are handled feel so awkward. Story pacing feels so much slower than the original, where the latter it felt like there was world building or character development in nearly ever cutscene. Instead here it feels like not much is being contributed to the plot/cast in comparison (as of now, don't know if it gets better, but 20 hours feels like something interesting should've happened by now).

Overall, that, plus the greater emphasis on dungeon crawling over taking on sidequests has made things feel much more boring. Feels like when I finish a dungeon I fight a person or thing, and that's that; not getting the same feeling of accomplishment that I did in the first game.

I remember hearing from a lot of folks on here that they preferred Cold Steel II over I and would love to know more about why they did, and would love to see why people thought the first was better than the second too.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
In Cold Steel 2 I liked not having the school, and feeling a bit more like the Sky games in terms of traveling around on the roads during the first half of the game. Cold Steel 1 was more consistent throughout though, CS2's second half really dragged. Then CS2 has a "third half" and I just couldn't bring myself to finish because I was so burnt out.

Would say I prefer CS1 but it's close. Prefer Sky (even just FC and SC) to both though.

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You might enjoy it more once you get to the Divertissement and then Act 2.

Act 1 generally follows the formula you're seeing of getting your classmates back together.

I prefer the second game as it feels a bit more polished in the gameplay/presentation department and there are some outstanding moments and revelations.

Jul 17, 2018
Both are bad and it's galling that CS will be the longest saga in the series (or series in the saga?).

The characters in CS1 are completely flat, pacing's completely off (everything interesting in CS1 happens in the last hour of the game and then ends on a huge cliffhanger).

Then CS2 with its constant filler, pointless dungeons again w/ weird pacing. It's clear that there were supposed to be one game but where Sky 1 and SC managed to make it work here it made me not care about the future of Kiseki at all.

I am really pumped for the new proper Zero fantranslation. Being policemen is so much more interesting than characterless Rean and his boring school buddies.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Cold Steel are not bad, they're weaker than Sky and Ao and Zero but they're still fantastic game imo. I prefer CS2 to CS1 but CS3 is better than the both of them. Can't wait to play CS4, hopefully Nisa will announce soon their localization plans at Pax in January since they said they'd announce new games.

To be fair to the above poster you're not policeman in Zero and Ao, you're basicly bracers in all but name due to the situation between the bracer's guild and Erebonia.

Jul 17, 2018
To be fair to the above poster you're not policeman in Zero and Ao, you're basicly bracers in all but name due to the situation between the bracer's guild and Erebonia.

I know, I played with the earlier (broken) fan translation patch and it was still really fun. Then I decided to wait for the Geofront patch because writing is so important in Kiseki.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I prefer the first 1 but all in all they were pretty weak compared to previous entries.

2 was too repetitive and I disliked its specific story as well as how events were unfolding.
And it's not getting better in the second half really. Kinda the opposite. Just do it for ending part at least.

I still can't believe it's getting the longest run despite being the worst part so far.
Still, enjoyable games.

Last edited:

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
first game killed my enthusiasm. II was better with more game happening and the typical story showdowns for the 2nd game.

Maffis

Oct 29, 2017
I found that revisiting old places from 1 made the sequel a bit less interesting for me. They reused a lot of the them so there weren't much excitement to explore the world.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Neither. Cold Steel I is the worst kiseki game.
Cold Steel II hast some really cool segments and the final chapters are amazing, but the overall pace is atrocious. And if you've played Ao you already know some of the plot twists.

CSX

Oct 27, 2017
https://twitter.com/CSX142857
I prefer CS2 over CS1 though both have their issues.

CS2 was 4-5 dungeons too long but it has the story advantage over CS1 simply since it's the 2nd game in a Trails story arc ,where all the big ass plot twists, explosions, and "wtfs" tend to happen in Trails games lol

Desma

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I think CS II epilogue is the big highlight, and it kinda justifies the game shortcomings.

Do stick with it, if only to play cs iii later. I think you'll like that one

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
CS1 was by far the more enjoyable game.

CS2 has:
- little meaningful character development, which is supposedly the draw of Trails games;
- a "main" plot that does essentially nothing but spin its wheels for far, far too long. The game only exists to allow time to pass in Erebonia, and the climax is nonsensical.
- a ridiculous ending (not the "ending" ending, but the epilogue) where actual dialogue states that none of what you are doing at that point matters in any way at all.

There's essentially nothing to say about it from a gameplay perspective, as it plays almost identically to CS1.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I prefer 2. I'm a big fan of what it does storywise, building the story and Rean with some more generic shonen elements and then not doing that at all. It's very subversive for a Trails game, which I appreciate.

I also feel the formula used in the Cold Steel games of limiting the world on first entry and then expanding it and adding free roam for the sequel works really well. The second game benefits a lot from that as it tweaks the formula just enough to feel different and not making as much of a retread by adding roads and locations, while keeping everything that the Trails formula does intact. It's also great for experimentation in terms of gameplay as it's not near as restrictive as the first entries where your hands are tied most of the time.

Do the characters get fleshed out in CS3 and 4?

No. If you feel that they're not fleshed out in CS1, then the answer is no.

CS3 focus much more in a new cast of characters, so while the cast of the previous games play a big part, they have already gotten most of their character development done.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Cold Steel II is a better game overall, but the ending of Cold Steel I is just too good, and a big surprise. CS2 felt a bit anticlimactic.

HK_1

Oct 27, 2017
I thought Cold Steel II was much better than I simply for the fact that it's an exciting Civil War where a bunch of unbelievable shit happens

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I liked CS1 way more.

Most of all, CS2 just feels way longer than it has to be. There's just so much padding, and the entire game could be at the very least be half as long without really missing anything important. It just feels like not nearly enough actually happens in the game, and most of the character development feels like it's redoing the same general storylines as the first game.

The entire thing feels like an 80 hour long setup for Cold Steel 3, ending just when things actually start to get interesting.

Plus in terms of characters, I hated how the game handled Crow and pretty much anything revolving around him.

I also actually really liked the school stuff from the first game. Every character there had a nice little story of his own, and talking to them between missions was a great way to flesh out the world. CS2 felt kind of lacking in this respect, and I can't even remember any of the NPC sidestories from it.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Love both but CS2 is my personal favorite even after loving CS3.

But I've played them all this year so it kind of felt like one continuous game for me in a sense (which I loved and never got burnt out). But event-wise, CS2 is my favorite.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
I think it cannot be overstated how inferior they both are to the Trails in the Sky trilogy.
But I liked both, kinda. CS1 felt a bit more focused whereas CS2 had way more filler.
But the mechanics in CS2 were improved. Story overall is still very weak and characters are a big stepdown from the Trails in the Sky trilogy, typical anime main character syndrome.

So, I'd say I like CS1 more despite CS2 being a better game

Oct 27, 2017
I liked CS2 more because I felt like I was playing a Suikoden spiritual successor.

The duels, the random battles, the mini games, the base building, the character recruitment, the politics.

That shit was Suikoden.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I liked Cs1 far more than Cs2.

Cs2 has some really good moments (the Divertissement introduces a lot of new lore that seems important, and the Crossbell section at the end is great), but it never feels like a real "war" as they always tell you that the real fight is happening at the other side of the country all the time. The characters have some development and it's interesting to watch them "survive" or fight against the civil war on their own, but all the big questions Cs1 presents to the player are not answered on Cs2, in fact the biggest plot/lore new content is a NG+ exclusive piece that is basically a text dump.

Sky SC did a far better job re-using the assets from the first game while presenting a high-stakes story with a epic ending that concluded the plotline in a good way, while in CS II the most epic section (you know the castle section) lacks a proper conclusion and the epilogue feels like mediocre fanservice.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
While I adored both games (and 3 too), and both are about the same to me in quality, honestly I'd give a slight nod to the 1st game. Honestly, I just like the lower key "slice of life" stuff, as this had the most of its running time set at the school where you regularly make your rounds around, talking to all the fellow students, and see all the new conversation options that constantly update every time the story advances a little, and then look forward to the field studies where you learned more about the greater world for the first time.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I much prefer II for its more open feeling and the airship. Collecting Thors students was really cool. I will say CS II is maybe a bit too stretched out. I didn't like the dungeons to get the ore for Rean's tachi for Valimar. I also feel like the epilogue was pure fan service and should have been completely optional. The epilogue dungeon was a cool idea but it should have been an optional mode you unlock after beating CS II.

CS II also has Divine knight battles. Which are amazing.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Plus in terms of characters, I hated how the game handled Crow and pretty much anything revolving around him.

This. So much this.

It really feels like Falcom was like "Hey! We need a traitor!" and they took away probably the most interesting character of Class VII as a result. Even more annoying that apparently in Cold Steel III.

He's brainwashed and working for the bad guys again, for the whole game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
1 succeeds a lot more in what it sets out to do than 2 does
Pretty much how I see it. Combat is better in CS2, but I had far more nitpicks about its story and the fact that it just refused to end. Still liked both games, but actually playing through CS2 felt more like a chore at times in ways that CS1 never did for me.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
CS1 is infinitely better. CS2 really dropped the ball, to say nothing of the epilogue which I thought was a damn glitch in my game.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
2 has severe story implications especially towards the end, so I don't advise abandoning it.
It's just a hell of a slog to get through.

That said, CS3 does also assume that the player read the decoded Black Records and saw the additional scene related to that, both being exclusive to NG+ in CS2. Best to just look those up to save time.

Oct 27, 2017
It's honestly a really tricky question. I real love them both,

I' give it to cold Steel 1 but its really tough. both are awesome games.

Cold steel 1 has atrocious road which certainly tips it in it'sfaavour cos that shit is glorious

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cold Steel 1 tries too hard to be Persona, and ends up with terrible pacing because of it imo, and tbh Cold Steel 2 is also badly paced, but improved. I'd say, Cold Steel 2, just because it sets everything up for the third game which is infinitely better then its 2 predecessors.
but then CS4 comes along and shits on it all

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I played both back to back over the course of a couple weeks. So they kind of run together. I think the main reason I prefer CS1 literally comes down to Towa's voice line when you complete all the available quests in a chapter, "You did really well, Rean!" But both are great games. CS2 is cool though b/c it feels like more of the rising action whereas CS1 is more of just exposition.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Cold Steel 1 tries too hard to be Persona, and ends up with terrible pacing because of it imo, and tbh Cold Steel 2 is also badly paced, but improved. I'd say, Cold Steel 2, just because it sets everything up for the third game which is infinitely better then its 2 predecessors.
but then CS4 comes along and shits on it all

What's wrong with 4? Feel free to spoil lol.

Deleted member 26768

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
it has the CS2 pacing and structure except even worse, the second chapter could have been cut entirely with the final moments moved over somewhere else and nothing would have been lost
and then we have Rean who literally shift to "Any hole is a goal" as his modus operandi

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well some people already took the liberty of answering, but my take:

terrible pacing, lots of plotholes, so many characters that a large chunk of them end up irrelevant to the overall plot and are just there for the fan service, everyone goes back to stroking Rean's dick and they go all in on the harem shit. "Character dies" = lol just kidding. TL;DR, 1 step forward 2 steps back.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
1 was very good; 2 was meh. The story got flat after the "rescue" of a certain someone until the very end. 2 was a giant fetch quest to face the main antagonist for the end.

Currently playing 3 it it's fucking good.