Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A1uu0B%2BprpL._SX425_.jpg

You probably can't get a copy now. But Warhammer Quest, easily. Greatest co-op RPG board game ever.

I still have my copy of Hero Quest

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I have a lot if gripes with it, I think gloomhaven has given my group the most time and investment. The first 20 hours of the campaign are just so much fun. I love that it's like video game with secret unlocks and surprises the whole way. The scope hurts the balance and pacing though.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
People complain about +4 in Uno, but the real friendship breaker is when you manage to connect a small terrain onto the big one that connects 80% of the towns on the board with like 1-2 tiles remaining, with that man that turns the terrain into 100% yours. Oh you were planning to win with those extra 90 points? Let me take those real quick and win instead while you finish like 4th because you used like 5 men to get it in the first place and wasted a lot of city-building opportunities. Evil stuff.
There have been so many swears in my house, lol. I am a really vile player in Carcasonne. Nabbing territory is one thing, making a big city unfinishable by placing an adjacent tile with roads is another.

Best thing is when you take over a field without the others realising at first. Few times a friend started counting 'his' points only for me to go 'dude, no.'

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
i've gotten horribly addicted to keyforge this year

it's great fun
Oh god yes. The mechanic of the whole deck essentially being a blind buy like a booster is crack laced with nicotine. My only problem is every place around here that does KFOP runs games on nights where I can't possibly get there in time and I don't know anyone to play it with other than my best friend, who moved to Indy.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There have been so many swears in my house, lol. I am a really vile player in Carcasonne. Nabbing territory is one thing, making a big city unfinishable by placing an adjacent tile with roads is another.

Best thing is when you take over a field without the others realising at first. Few times a friend started counting 'his' points only for me to go 'dude, no.'

Are you me? When I play with my family they often have to place goalposts to make sure I don't steal terrains on the last turn, don't make their cities unfinishable or I don't take their points away by connecting 2 men into a town to close it myself. Like I can not do these things in my family anymore because of the excessive amount of salt that comes out of it, and then I get pissed off myself when they do it though, after which I turn my fuckery up +200% and do my best to have more points in any way, be that earning 'em myself or simply denying it from others. The expansion packs in that are helpful, because one of 'em adds a city block that makes the town worth +50% if it's closed but a whopping 0 if it isn't finished. Guess who loves to add that block to enormous cities someone else is building with only few turns left... lmao.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
Lords of Waterdeep has been lots of fun. Our friends have enjoyed it so much they bought it for themselves as well. The expansion Scoundrels of Skullport changes things up a bit and is lots of fun as well.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
You probably can't get a copy now. But Warhammer Quest, easily. Greatest co-op RPG board game ever.

It's been reimplemented in the form of Heroes of Terrinoth.

Recently probably 1889- none of us are good enough at 18XX's to implement any sort of high level strategy but we had a 4 hour game which flipped the leader constantly throughout.

Kemet and Fury of Dracula are probably two of the games which have the best memories for myself. Though I've a collection of over 150 games so it's hard to narrow down one particular game as an outstanding experience.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I still mean to get that one sometime, is it easy to get in to and to introduce to people in a evening?
The mini-campaign in the Core Box is a very good introduction to the game and its basic mechanics. If you watch a tutorial video on YouTube before playing, you should probably be fine.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
It's been a while since my friends and I did a game night since we replaced it with D&D about a year ago. The two I can think of right off the top of my head are:

Small World (board game) and Cheaty Mages (card game). Both are pretty easy to pick up and are a lot of fun.

I'd love to play Gloomhaven, but since I live too far from friends, our only game nights are set for D&D while they do Gloomhaven on their own. : /

Idde

Oct 27, 2017
CAH is definitely my favorite card game to play, but it has to be with the right people. Actually I've found that it's a pretty good predictor of compatibility in terms of friendship (maybe more???). The person who plays or picks "anal orgasms" for "Barack Obama's next memoir:" is probably not going to wind up in conversation with me.

Oh absolutely. Luckily the group I usually play with has a pretty crude sense of humor. Five guys and all. Only one of us has a significant other, and the first time she joined in we were like: "Euhm, should we hold back a bit now?". Until she came up with some stuff that would've made non-drunk me blush. And a lot of the times people go for the lowest hanging fruit, but she came up with some pretty clever stuff, which is a welcome change. It, and she was, and is, awesome. He made the right choice marrying her :)

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
My fam loves Tokaido, like beautiful Japanese monopoly that doesnt take forever.

Recently, Kill Dr Lucky has got a lot of play. It's reverse Clue.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really enjoy Munchkin. The only problem with it is that it's a little tough to teach people who aren't familiar with at least the very basics of RPG stats and effects. I learned it with some of my nerdy friends and wanted to share it with another group of friends who never do stuff like that and it was...difficult to say the least. Still love it though.

I also love Betrayal at House on the Hill. The combination of cooperation and competition it pulls off really works for me.

Also had plenty of fun nights playing Uno. Can't really go wrong with that, espeically playing "draw until you can play" instead of just drawing 2 if you can't play on the active card.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here are a few:
  • Catan -- I know everyone plays this but my board game group still opens with it out of tradition and we've been playing pretty consistently since 2010. We've played with most of the expansions but then regressed back into the base game
  • Dominion -- probably my favorite in-box deck building game. We have several expansions and I really enjoy playing this one. I even made my own mini version in Java
  • Bohnanza -- bean trading game that's a lot of fun
  • Puerto Rico -- really fun game with farming and selling of resources and an interesting turn system. This one takes a while but we all really enjoy it
  • Kingdom Builder -- a really chill game we like to close with. You don't have to think too much and the board and pieces are really aesthetic
  • Carcassonne -- good to play when drinking wine
  • PIT -- crazy loud and fun game
I assume you don't mean TCGs so I'll leave those out.

Dominion is a work of true genius.

Lately, I've really been enjoying Gloomhaven and Betrayal Legacy. Other favorites are Power Grid and Five Tribes.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Carcassonne is my go-to game, especially when I'm with people that don't play a lot of board games. I can't count the number of Carcassonne games I played, and I always had fun in each one of them. This game is a real classic.

VR34042.jpg

Last edited:

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
Does Hearthstone count? I honestly haven't played any other card game as long continuously (5 years). I quit the game but it was an amazing ride, the best community and personalities I have ever seen in any game. I'm glad I witnessed it all and how it made card games relevant again. The experience and impact was just like how WoW launched imo. So many memorable cards, decks and pro matches. It has peaked and the best days seem to be in the past but it was pretty fucking amazing ride.

WEGGLES

Oct 30, 2017
My friends and I LOVE Wizard.

81KjaZp295L._SL1500_.jpg

It's a trick taking game where each hand you deal one more card than previously. Every player bids how many tricks they will take, and if you're right you get 20+10xNumber of tricks. If you're wrong you lose 10 points for each you were off by. It's a load of fun. The last hand deals out the whole deck,and has no trump suit which adds to the tension. You'll throw out 4 of lead suit, and no one can follow suit and accidentally take a trick you didn't want etc.

Probably my most played game.

We also had an ABSOLUTE blast playing Twilight Imperium 4 Ed., but that game takes tons of planning as it's a 6+ hour ordeal.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
pic3163924.jpg

Was out first proper board game when it released, we spent 12 hours on it and learning together was just as much fun as proper playing it

And that Rise of Fenris expansion with the segret boxes, new faction and stuff, so good
Incredible game man. Been playing recently with some friends and it's awesome.

Oct 27, 2017
Nottingham, UK
We used to regularly play the Battlestar Galactica game where one or more of you is a Psylon and have to try and sell out your crew. Always fun that. It even lay the groundwork for moving onto Hero Quest and then D&D which has by far been the most fun I've had in years
A1uu0B%2BprpL._SX425_.jpg

There's second hand copies on eBay so well worth a look
I still have my copy of Hero Quest
Same, and a friend had one so we have two sets (with the missing bits we together have a complete set, with some advanced Hero Quest stuff as well)

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am seriously laughing at how out-of-touch I feel when I recommended Monopoly and in this thread I find recommendations for so many things I had never heard of.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
pic354500.jpg

Battlestar Galactica - the deepest and most thematic social deduction/hidden identity game (albeit one that requires exactly five experienced players and a good two-to-three hours).

pic1809823.jpg

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - on the other side of the spectrum from BSG; a five minute long social deduction game that's scalable and easy to pick up.

pic236327.jpg

Race for the Galaxy - a strategic card-based masterpiece that takes its Puetro Rico base and dials it up to eleven, with cleverer mechanics, lightning fast gameplay, and tremendous variety.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Battlestar Galactica - the deepest and most thematic social deduction/hidden identity game (albeit one that requires exactly five experienced players and a good two-to-three hours).

One Night Ultimate Werewolf - on the other side of the spectrum from BSG; a five minute long social deduction game that's scalable and easy to pick up.

Race for the Galaxy - a strategic card-based masterpiece that takes its Puetro Rico base and dials it up to eleven, with cleverer mechanics, lightning fast gameplay, and tremendous variety.

"John is a Cylon!"
"I'm not a Cylon."
"That's exactly what a Cylon would say."

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Board game: Settlers of Catan, it's just such an awesome game that can be played at all different skill levels. We played a lot of Settlers after college when I lived with a few other folks.
Card game: Texas Hold 'Em (if more meant party games, then probably Cards Against Humanity)

My favorite party game is probably telephone but with drawing. Everyone writes down a phrase on a piece of paper and passes it to the left along with a pile of blank pieces of paper. The person that gets the phrase has to draw it on a new piece of paper and then passes it to the left with the other pieces at the bottom. The person that receives the drawing has to then interpret and try and guess the phrase by writing it down. Pass it left, draw the new interpretation, pass it left, re-interpret, so on and so forth until you receive your original phrase back. Then everyone presents their initial phrase, goes through the drawings and reinterpretations for the group. It can be mild-manner or raunchy depending on the crowd but the shit you end up with is absolutely hysterical. All it requires is a few pens and some blank pieces of paper.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
71Ycnypz58L._SX466_.jpg

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Board game meets RPG-lite set in a spooky mansion. Players explore the mansion and uncover rooms and find items and curses and stuff. Depending on what the players do in the first half of the game, the game morphs into one of like 50+ scenarios in the second half, where one of the players is always betraying the others, and the win conditions in these scenarios can get pretty wild. Such a fun game with a ton of replayability. My group of friends don't play a lot of board games but this was pretty easy for everyone to jump right in and pick up pretty quickly.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
71Ycnypz58L._SX466_.jpg

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Board game meets RPG-lite set in a spooky mansion. Players explore the mansion and uncover rooms and find items and curses and stuff. Depending on what the players do in the first half of the game, the game morphs into one of like 50+ scenarios in the second half, where one of the players is always betraying the others, and the win conditions in these scenarios can get pretty wild. Such a fun game with a ton of replayability. My group of friends don't play a lot of board games but this was pretty easy for everyone to jump right in and pick up pretty quickly.

FYI the D&D version is not anywhere near as good

AliceAmber

Don't dream it, be it
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Disney's Villainous is SUCH a fun and weird game. We keep reaching for that game.

I also adore the Betrayal and Arkham Horror games. Pretty much always have a good time.

IF you have a very good group of people munchkin can be fun. But that's a big if sometimes.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
71Ycnypz58L._SX466_.jpg

If you have a consistent group, you guys should 100% pick up Betrayal Legacy. It amps everything to 11.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played it, but my girlfriend is in a Betrayal Legacy group and she loves it

It's basically a 16 game campaign that takes place over the course of like 300 years as the House grows in hunger. Each player names and claims a family whose descendants are fated to return to the House over and over. The story is campy and spooky and great fun, and you unveil new events, omens, items, etc as you play, so that the House itself is shaped by your decisions.

At the end of the campaign, you basically have a fully customized version of the original game that can be used for free play.

They also made a bunch of smart updates to the rule set. It plays better than the original.

ChubbyHuggs

Oct 27, 2017
Munchkins Adventure Time, Monopoly Deal Card Game and Catan have always been a good quick go to game where you can bust out rounds in 30 minutes or less. They're easy to learn and most people end up liking them. Plus, everyone trying to turn on each other just adds to the excitement of it all.

hydrophilic attack

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Oh god yes. The mechanic of the whole deck essentially being a blind buy like a booster is crack laced with nicotine. My only problem is every place around here that does KFOP runs games on nights where I can't possibly get there in time and I don't know anyone to play it with other than my best friend, who moved to Indy.
Have you tried The Crucible Online? It's an unofficial browser client for the game. The second set cards have not yet been implemented (they're working on it) but you can play your decks from the first set. Not quite the same as playing in the flesh, but still fun!

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
UNO. That's the one game my group would always go back to over and over. So many good laughs.

xeris

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
All time favorite is Advanced Civilization with the eastern map. Current favorites are probably Viticulture and Terraforming Mars, although City of Iron is way up there as well.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Over the last two years I have played so much Gloomhaven. Easily my favourite dungeon crawler ever. I think it was SUASD that described it as (paraphrasing) "the game you remember Hero Quest being."

Scythe is absolutely a great game too, one of my gaming groups only wanted to play that for quite some time. I also really like Concordia and Inis a lot. There really are so many great board games. Video games have nothing on them!

Edit:

This one is great too! Played it a bunch last month and had a great time, though it is hell for AP prone players.