GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
There is a biopic about Saladin and it's even mentioned in the Wikipedia article you posted. It's called Saladin the Victorious and it was directed by Youssef Chahine who is often considered the greatest Egyptian film director. I haven't seen it but it's supposed to be very good if not totally accurate.
Oh wow I actually completely missed that. Definitely watching it as soon as possible!

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Frank Amodeo. A psychotic billionaire suffering from chronic delusions that he was going to take over the world, supervillain style. From his hq next to Disney world Florida he amongst other things, embezzled hundreds of millions from the IRS, bought an ICBM factory in Russia, built the world's largest private army with a million African soldiers, organised a coup in Congo and was plotting to take over multiple Eastern European countries. He was incredibly well connected, having G W Bushs ear among others. Eventually the IRS caught up with him and I believe he's still in prison, where he's popular among inmates for his legal expertise- interspersed with the occasional rant about "his legions!!!!"

EDIT - Some of the stuff this guys been doing in prison is really interesting actually. While still proclaiming himself to be the Emperor of Terra he's had hundreds of sentences reduced and gotten a lot of people released early while petitioning for more humane conditions for all prisoners regardless of race or financial status. He's also really into conflict resolution, having gained honorary membership into two black prison gangs while negotiating an end to the violent dispute between the factions. Still an evil lunatic who threatened to flatten entire cities after his black ops contractors got arrested in Congo.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Josephine Baker had a wild life. Became the most popular entertainer in France and loved it so much there so literally slept in Marie Antoinette's bed. Fled Paris right before the Nazis invaded and then spied for the Resistance in North Africa. After the war she helped relaunch the Folies Bergere. Even in the 60s she played shows in Castro's Cuba.
There's a Josephine Baker movie that stars Lyn Whitfield.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I can't take biopics seriously, don't know why. I'd rather see a documentary.

Cause most of them are formulaic, pieces of trash. A big issue being that many of them have no specific goal or point in mind. The music industry being the worst. Two of the better recent examples (Love & Mercy, Rocketman), found success in building the story around a particular aspect of their subjects life. For Love & Mercy, Brian Wilson's mental issues; for Rocketman, Elton John's addictions. Even then, there's always these unnatural dialogue where they try to squeeze in as many multiple meaningful events as they can.

For instance, let's say in a hypothetical Led Zeppelin movie.

*Robert Plant and Jimmy Page drive on a highway*

"Man Jimmy, that's the tallest escalator I've ever seen."
"Right Robert, it's like we were on a stairway to heaven."
"Wait. What did you say?"
"and now, we're winding down this road."
"Wait! What was that?!?!?"

*Jimmy pulls over and gets his guitar. Hits a couple of bum notes, but then plays the riff to Stairway to Heaven perfectly.*

"That's it!"

Cue Stairway to Heaven recording montage.

It probably wouldn't even feature the scene of Jimmy Page stealing the chord progression from one of their opening acts.

I kid, I kid

Nov 21, 2017
Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette, was one the Frenchmen who was an essential military figure in the American War of Independence, the French Revolution & July revolution. He witnesses a lot of historical events.

Consider George Washington as a father, was friends with many of the founding fathers. He was an active opponent of Napoleon Bonaparte.

Last edited:

harinezumi

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
We need a movie about the Bone Wars

The Bone Wars, also known as the Great Dinosaur Rush,[1] was a period of intense and ruthlessly competitive fossil hunting and discovery during the Gilded Age of American history, marked by a heated rivalry between Edward Drinker Cope (of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia) and Othniel Charles Marsh (of the Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale). Each of the two paleontologists used underhanded methods to try to outdo the other in the field, resorting to bribery, theft, and the destruction of bones. Each scientist also sought to ruin his rival's reputation and cut off his funding, using attacks in scientific publications.

Cope and Marsh were financially and socially ruined by their attempts to outcompete and disgrace each other, but they made important contributions to science and the field of paleontology and provided substantial material for further work—both scientists left behind many unopened boxes of fossils after their deaths. The efforts of the two men led to more than 136 new species of dinosaurs being discovered and described. The products of the Bone Wars resulted in an increase in knowledge of prehistoric life, and sparked the public's interest in dinosaurs, leading to continued fossil excavation in North America in the decades to follow. Many historical books and fictional adaptations have been published about this period of intense fossil-hunting activity.

Dudes went as far as blowing up each other's dig sites with dynamite. Just unimaginable levels of pettiness.

Titantodd

May 3, 2023
Apologies for the bump, but I'm a little bored at work and I think I've found someone who would make the PERFECT pitch dark black comedy:

Dr. Doctor Willard Bliss (yes, I've typed that right, his first name actually was Doctor)

So this guy was in medicine his entire life, first treating Zachary Taylor for malaria at age 19, before he'd even went to medical school.

He graduates and gets licensed as a medical practitioner in 1849, then starts selling snake oil, something called cundurango which he claimed was a wonderful treatment for "cancer, syphilis, scrofula, ulcer and other blood diseases". This gets him struck off by the Washington DC Medical Society.

He works as a surgeon in DC during the Civil War, and becomes superintendent of Armory Square Hospital. In 1863, he's imprisoned for accepting a $500 bribe and letting a member of public use the hospital's stove.

He also gets expelled from the DC Medical Society again for supporting homeopathy, and being opposed to letting the society admit black members. Because he accepted a new and novel medical innovation in homeopathy and it put his career at risk, he refuses to accept another new medical innovation: antiseptics.

In 1881, he's summoned in a medical emergency to the bedside of President Garfield, who has just been shot. He probes around inside him with his fingers, and concludes (wrongly) that the bullet is in Garfield's liver. He orders Garfield be isolated from the rest of his physicians and staff, although he relies upon the wives' of US Cabinet members as nurses. Bliss keeps digging around inside Garfield's wound with his fingers over the next few weeks, but is still unable to find and remove the bullet. He then calls in Alexander Graham Bell, who has this new handy-dandy invention to help locate it: the metal detector. The detector is confused by the bedsprings and can't locate the bullet. It later transpires the metal detector would have worked fine, but Bliss only allowed Bell to examine Garfield's right side, and if he checked the left, he would have found it.

Garfield dies, and Bliss then submits a bill for $25,000 to the White House for his services. He's offered $6,500 instead, and refuses it, utterly insulted.

Tell me, TELL me, that wouldn't make a brilliant for the Coen Bros or someone similar. There's a genuine comedic masterpiece here in this guy's life.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
I would love to see a multi-decade series like The Crown, but about Walt Disney's life and his successors. Love him or hate him, he's a crucial cornerstone of American pop culture and his life and career ran in parallel to the birth and advancements in cinema, television, etc. It also all happened in parallel to the rise of the America we know today, just like Liz and the UK.

Just keep Tom Hanks and his southern accent far away.
Disney would never allow it, unless you would completely not mention the more problematic aspects of Walt. They seem dead set on making Walt Disney some sort of mythical character that could do no wrong.