MasterVampire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is there a reason why DBS has pretty much no blood? At most if someone gets badly hurt saliva comes out their mouth. There's not even bloody scratches or wounds just like dirt scuff marks.

It's a bit disappointing.

Is it due to the series being aimed more at kids or something? The time it's on tv? Was blood more acceptable in the 1990s when DBZ was on?

Super does a poor job showing characters accumulating damage as it's hard to tell how hurt they are without seeing any actual blood or wounds.

Here's some comparisons:

D647D1C7AE264D99ADD4.gif

6480C7C1C7E14DD7B3E6.gif

BD21863B241E40F4B04E.gif

88CC4E00E23A46A8AE5C.gif

Other stuff DBZ stuff

C00481CE9D6D4FD0A481.gif

tumblr_neiyljwfiL1t1656jo1_500.gif

9cb60bf9b6dcd3253ce087a6800d9d622a52e6d7_hq.gif

9ebffc41aeac65cfca26d2bbb7eef00522f1ae2c_hq.gif

NextTartAldabratortoise-max-1mb.gif

C987C1714F094F61B5C9.jpeg

05D7C573233D4A08AF0C.jpeg

latest

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tv standards have changed, you cant show the same gore in DBZ at the time slot Super airs

glasiche

Avenger
Feb 12, 2018
It's not Akira writing it and you forgot
Krillin exploding and Majin Vegeta blowing up all those people at the Worlds Martial Arts tournament
, those were good ones. Does DBS have any devastating violence besides energy blasts and transformations?

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
To drive home the whole 'yes standards have changed' issue, in Kai, they had to fix up Goku's death against Raditz:
aYXNEeC.jpg

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All that stuff above, plus it's a kids program they have to sell to international audiences.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
TV standards have changed. What was acceptable in the 90s is not acceptable today. Especially since Super aired on Sunday mornings.

... No. It's a new show that follows the events of Buu's defeat. How have you gone three years thinking it's a remake?
I watched dbz as a kid so I don't remember much lol but I liked the fights

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
DBS is weak sauce compared to the original series. back in the day the series was just different in general, tone, attitude and intention. its a parody of its former self and has been ever since the extended universe started

You never get the suspense and tension of namek at all

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to Super even the original Dragon Ball manga was more violent than the Anime and now it seems that things are even more strict than they were before. Dragon Ball was always and will always be targeted specifically to kids and that makes it pretty easy to tell why Super does not feature much blood. Standards for Kids tv is a bit different these days than it was in the 80s and early 90s.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Did the tv standards change in the last few years or something? Hunter x Hunter 2011 had blood and gore, especially in the chapters aired in 2014, so that was just around 4 years ago. Was it a different time slot thing?

Oct 25, 2017
DBS is weak sauce compared to the original series. back in the day the series was just different in general, tone, attitude and intention. its a parody of its former self and has been ever since the extended universe started

You never get the suspense and tension of namek at all

That dub sure takes the tension out of the original show.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
This is still the most violent fight and beat down ever back when the show was still great:

but now it's all super sayan blue purple yellow time travel dudes n shit.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That dub sure takes the tension out of the original show.

The original funimation dub was cheesy, but it still had its own unique charm which kept the spirit of the series intact. Linda Young as frieza was so delightfully menacing that neither the OG japanese or the current kai VO can match.

Even though it was the first voice acting gig most of its cast had(they started during the ginyu saga), it was still in many ways superior to the ocean dub that came before. And those voice actors went onto greater things and got better and better

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Did the tv standards change in the last few years or something? Hunter x Hunter 2011 had blood and gore, especially in the chapters aired in 2014, so that was just around 4 years ago. Was it a different time slot thing?

Different time slot on a different network. It would be like a Japanese person who watches both star and the forces of evil and family guy and wondering why the former doesn't have as much blood and as the latter.

Not a perfect analogy I realize but I don't know enough modern animated tv shows to make a better one.

Oct 25, 2017
The original funimation dub was cheesy, but it still had its own unique charm which kept the spirit of the series intact. Linda Young as frieza was so delightfully menacing that neither the OG japanese or the current kai VO can match.

Even though it was the first voice acting gig most of its cast had(they started during the ginyu saga), it was still in many ways superior to the ocean dub that came before. And those voice actors went onto greater things and got better and better
Menacing isn't the word I would use to describe Linda Young's Freeza. In fact, Freeza was one of the characters that got hit the hardest when it came to dumbing down the original character into a failed comedian Rita Repulsa knock off. Freeza telling Vegeta he destroyed Planet Vegeta in his first form and didn't even need to transform got turned into this in the old dub.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I know it's just a subjective opinion but i have to strongly and respectfully disagree with everything here. There is virtually nothing redeemable about the Funimation dub. It's a complete train-wreck from top to bottom, it does not keep the spirit of the series intact whatsoever. As far as Linda Young as Freeza goes, she is the worst casting choice for a character ever and she did not get Freeza as a character at all. Like i am still amazed that Freeza is even popular in the states at all after what a complete misfire the Original Funimation dub was.

Menacing isn't the word I would use to describe Linda Young's Freeza. In fact, Freeza was one of the characters that got hit the hardest when it came to dumbing down the original character into a failed comedian Rita Repulsa knock off. Freeza telling Vegeta he destroyed Planet Vegeta in his first form and didn't even need to transform got turned into this in the old dub.

What's stunning to me about this clip is that despite how bad it is, it's actually the "improved" version. The original dub that aired on Toonami sounded even worse.

Oct 25, 2017
What's stunning to me about this clip is that despite how bad it is, it's actually the "improved" version. The original dub that aired on Toonami sounded even worse.

It's one whopper of a dub.
Yeah, you can tell Sabat here is trying to impersonate Brian Drummond's performance, long before he reshaped it into his own.
But even Drummond got better, as shown in the Super dub when he came back to play Copy-Vegeta.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
One Piece is not nearly as bad as it is in DBS, it's virtually non-existent in that show
True, but violence did get dramatically reduced in OP.
For example, in early OP we had Zoro vs Mihawk and Zoro vs Mr. 1 which were really bloody and messy, way more than anything we had post timeskip

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

That's just embellishment ocean dub started and funi felt the need to continue for consistency's sake, along with making the VO try and sound like those original actors for a while. Considering it was the first voice acting role for pretty much all of the cast, and funi's first gig in general, it came out a lot better than it could have otherwise, IMO, especially as the series progressed and the actors got more comfortable with their roles

I know it's just a subjective opinion but i have to strongly and respectfully disagree with everything here. There is virtually nothing redeemable about the Funimation dub. It's a complete train-wreck from top to bottom, it does not keep the spirit of the series intact whatsoever. As far as Linda Young as Freeza goes, she is the worst casting choice for a character ever and she did not get Freeza as a character at all. Like i am still amazed that Freeza is even popular in the states at all after what a complete misfire the Original Funimation dub was.

I disagree with pretty much everything here. Especially the bolded. Even ifyou want to say that Linda young's frieza was bad, saying her voice acting chops themselves are bad is one of the hottest takes of all time, especially after her excellent work as Genkai in YYH, the dub which far surpasses the original japanese version in general.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's one whopper of a dub.
Yeah, you can tell Sabat here is trying to impersonate Brian Drummond's performance, long before he reshaped it into his own.
But even Drummond got better, as shown in the Super dub when he came back to play Copy-Vegeta.

Good grief...

The music, acting and the script are all combined to just flat out ruin a scene that was perfectly fine in the original. I'm not even trying to be hyperbolic here but that isn't even DBZ at this point. Like i couldn't even imagine them making this dub any worse even if they tired.

Yeah, Drummond did improve massively and i even preferred him to Sabat back then (Because Sabat was just a bad copy of Drummond) but even he wasn't great and i'm pretty sure he was also one of the most controversial actors when it came to the voices of the Ocean Cast back in the day. I don't recall many people liking his performance if they were familiar with the original version of the show.

That's just embellishment ocean dub started and funi felt the need to continue for consistency's sake, along with making the VO try and sound like those original actors for a while
I mean, they did not have to continue to double down on the mistakes made with the previous dub and the end result speaks for itself. It's horrible. It just sounds like a bad excuse really. This misguided attempt to turn DBZ into another crappy generic US saturday morning cartoon was the worst thing that happened to this franchise.

I disagree with pretty much everything here. Especially the bolded. Even ifyou want to say that Linda young's frieza was bad, saying her voice acting chops themselves are bad is one of the hottest takes of all time, especially after her excellent work as Genkai in YYH, the dub which far surpasses the original japanese version in general.

I did not mind her all that much in YYH. She was way more fitting there than she was for Freeza, that's for sure but the hottest of hot takes is the notion that anything in the dub of YYH surpasses the Japanese version, which granted was at-least a watchable dub (Unlike DBZ) but it doesn't even come close to the original. It's still far too cheesy and forced in many spots to even come close.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Seeing Krillin getting impaled by Frieza's horn is one of most disturbing scenes in DBZ.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
To be fair to Super even the original Dragon Ball manga was more violent than the Anime and now it seems that things are even more strict than they were before. Dragon Ball was always and will always be targeted specifically to kids and that makes it pretty easy to tell why Super does not feature much blood. Standards for Kids tv is a bit different these days than it was in the 80s and early 90s.
True there I remember in the manga Dr. Gero or Android 20 was it? Anyway he grabs that guy by the throat when they attack the city and squeezes his neck so hard that it detached from his body!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
True there I remember in the manga Dr. Gero or Android 20 was it? Anyway he grabs that guy by the throat when they attack the city and squeezes his neck so hard that it detached from his body!

Yep, that's the scene that immediately came to mind while i was making that post. There are other examples as well.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Good grief...

The music, acting and the script are all combined to just flat out ruin a scene that was perfectly fine in the original. I'm not even trying to be hyperbolic here but that isn't even DBZ at this point. Like i couldn't even imagine them making this dub any worse even if they tired.

Yeah, Drummond did improve massively and i even preferred him to Sabat back then (Because Sabat was just a bad copy of Drummond) but even he wasn't great and i'm pretty sure he was also one of the most controversial actors when it came to the voices of the Ocean Cast back in the day. I don't recall many people liking his performance if they were familiar with the original version of the show.

I mean, they did not have to continue to double down on the mistakes made with the previous dub and the end result speaks for itself. It's horrible. It just sounds like a bad excuse really. This misguided attempt to turn DBZ into another crappy generic US saturday morning cartoon was the worst thing that happened to this franchise.

I did not mind her all that much in YYH. She was way more fitting there than she was for Freeza, that's for sure but the hottest of hot takes is the notion that anything in the dub of YYH surpasses the Japanese version, which granted was at-least a watchable dub (Unlike DBZ) but it doesn't even come close to the original. It's still far too cheesy and forced in many spots to even come close.
We would be good friends in real life! And that YYH hot take drives me nuts all day long (when I'm discussing it) the sub is so much better no question about it.