• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
GoW 2018 is a well-made video game, but it doesn't really excel in anything

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Long load times are a far worse problem than low or inconsistent framerates.
Wild Arms XF & Devil Survivor are the best SRPGs.
Siren 1 & 2 are better than any Silent Hill game.
Mainline SMT isn't as good as the Persona series (better story) or Atlus' own Etrian Odyssey series (better gameplay).

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Botw would be a better game without weapon durability. Weapon Durability makes the game way worst and actively works against the player.

You'd make the combat worse (no thinking on the fly as weapons break) and it would be way more dull as people would only use their best weapon at any time

It also makes exploration much worse as there isn't much reason to explore when you have a full kit of great and unbreakable weapons, and 90% of what you find exploring are weapons

They would need to redesign the game around not having breakable weapons, just turning durability off would def make the game worse

cyress8

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
  • Star Citizen is a great game for space nerds.
  • Guild Wars 2 is a better MMO than FFXIV.
  • GTA San Andreas is still the best GTA
  • Monster Hunter World is better than Rise.
  • Ass Creed: Black Flag and Origins are the only good Ass Creed games.
  • Project Zomboid is a better State of Decay game than State of Decay 1 & 2.

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
Despite its many, many flaws, Battlefield V was the best World War 2 shooter we ever got and it's sad it didn't reach its full potential.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
Tifa Lockhart is the most overrated character in existence

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It's a core part of the game's design and combat loop.
And it actively makes the game worst and the game would be much better off without it.
You'd make the combat worse (no thinking on the fly as weapons break) and it would be way more dull as people would only use their best weapon at any time

It also makes exploration much worse as there isn't much reason to explore when you have a full kit of great and unbreakable weapons, and 90% of what you find exploring are weapons

They would need to redesign the game around not having breakable weapons, just turning durability off would def make the game worse
Absolutely not, Durability did nothing positive in the game and if they turned it off the game would be 100% more enjoyable. They wouldn't have to change it at all to make it better.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yup. It's a core part of the game's design and combat loop.

I also find it really amusing that BoTW is one the best reviewed games of all time, and generally considered a contender for the best game ever, and yet loads of people think a core part of it's design is a huge flaw lol

I get not liking it, or finding it annoying, but so is dying in a game, but that doesn't mean the game is better if you just remove it, more so when it's literally designed around it

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
Takes of the Abyss is a great game with the best cast and story in the series. For some reason, I've seen people hating this game for years and I just don't get it. I thought the story was very intriguing and unique, and I use the "Seventh Phonon" phrase in my everyday life to this day lol.
Amen. Abyss has some of the best character development and comradery despite conflict between characters in the whole series. While Vesperia gets lauded as the best in the series, I fail to even understand why when the story amounts to nothing and the characters barely feel like they grow and the plot lacks any major turns or anything interesting to say, with no clear focus at all.

qtamir1

Oct 28, 2017
- AC1 Is a great game and every one considering getting into the series should start there.
- AC Origins is a spit to the face of the franchise, the rpg genre & huge open world ruins the elements that made the series great
- LA Noire was way ahead of it's time and is still to this day the best detective styled game. it should have received a sequel before red dead 2.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
  • Star Citizen is a great game for space nerds.
  • Guild Wars 2 is a better MMO than FFXIV.
  • GTA San Andreas is still the best GTA
  • Monster Hunter World is better than Rise.
  • Ass Creed: Black Flag and Origins are the only good Ass Creed games.
  • Project Zomboid is a better State of Decay game than State of Decay 1 & 2.
Sunbreak's MR grind got to me so I bought a used copy of Iceborne which I skipped (had played World) and, wow, does Sunbreak feel like easy mode MonHun.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
And it actively makes the game worst and the game would be much better off without it.
I mean, that's your opinion obviously. Game was a smash hit otherwise, so I think it's safe to say it was a wise decision that hit for an ocean of people and didn't hit for a few others. But if it didn't work for you then there's no changing that.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
zelda-majoras-mask-89-moon.jpg

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
- Numbers in RPGs shouldn't exceed 999
- BotW and Galaxy 1 are the two games in the Mario/Zelda/Metroid series trio that are arguably better than the final mainline SNES game in that series

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
I also find it really amusing that BoTW is one the best reviewed games of all time, and generally considered a contender for the best game ever, and yet loads of people think a core part of it's design is a huge flaw lol

I get not liking it, or finding it annoying, but so is dying in a game, but that doesn't mean the game is better if you just remove it, more so when it's literally designed around it
Right. Like it's very clearly a well-designed and well-intended gameplay loop that they've developed. That much is very clear, but I think people are misrepresenting their personal taste of the system as it being poorly designed. It's just a design they don't like, even if it's well constructed.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All it did was make me go to a menu to choose basically the same weapons littered throughout the game. I think weapon degradation can work in games (that sense of tension mid fight in System Shock 2, for example) but in BOTW it was just unnecessary busywork. It didn't ruin the game but it never felt well implemented to me.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I feel like he have a variation of this thread often but I'll never turn down an opportunity to shout into the void about something I like. We need more places for positivity in general. That said, I've got a few. I'll stick to just one for here.

Dragon Age 2 is a fantastic game that is a perfect example of people recognizing the limitations they had in development and using those limitations to create something unique and interesting. Being forced to get a game out in just a single year? Limited time to build assets beyond the initial city and surrounding areas? A lesser team would have given us a game with more zones that feel unfinished. DA2 takes the limitations and runs with it to give us a more intimate game ABOUT a city (and a family, and politics) taking place over the course of a decade, that feels more like a TV show in structure. And on top of that it has some of the best writing in all of Bioware's library. An amazing story that side-steps the more generic "save the world from the big evil" plots of most fantasy and instead focuses on what comes after that. Just an incredible game.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
This reminded me of another one

Real time RPG combat is not better than turn based, it's just different, there are pros and cons to both, and both are great when done well
God damnit, get out of my head OP lol. I just keep nodding like "yeah, FUCK yeah, they get it".