Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the regular PS5 being less than $499 tbh. Sony would have probably wanted it to be even higher but given the XSX price they can't afford to be the most expensive console out there.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I don't see the regular PS5 being less than $499 tbh. Sony would have probably wanted it to be even higher but given the XSX price they can't afford to be the most expensive console out there.

What gives you that impression? Sony wouldn't the mistake they made with the PS3 again. Why would you want to lose your huge install base and make it difficult to transition to the PS5, it would make no sense.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Fundamentally though the two consoles are the same in terms of effective performance (disc and digital) so the 399 Digital would be the same as the 499 Disc. Its just the delivery method that changes. Therefore they should treat the 399 as their primary competition as they dont have an equivalent box at the same power level thats digital only.

Xbox is advertised as an Estimated Retail Price. Thats room for adjustment should Sony try for a mic drop.

Phil always said they wouldn't be out of position on power or price — maybe this is what Grubb is alluding to them spending money on
I disagree at some level. Their competition is still against the "complete" model with disk drive, and having a model at $300 could be seen as a decent advantage offset, despite the performance. I don't see them going any under Sony's disk model personally.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony's main goal is to have both PS5 versions slotted in price between the two XBox Series consoles, they'll use cheaper price point at the top end and they'll point out that the cheaper one is the same specs on the digital version, unlike the XBox Series S.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
What gives you that impression? Sony wouldn't the mistake they made with the PS3 again. Why would you want to lose your huge install base and make it difficult to transition to the PS5, it would make no sense.
They won't, hence I said they don't want to be the most expensive console. I just think they would have wanted their gains to be a bit bigger, but I reckon the PS5 is going to be $499.

Joo

May 25, 2018
Game Pass adds a huge amount of value to Day One people. MS could easily explain the console prices with the many of the launch titles coming as part of Game Pass and not as a separate purchase above the console.
Well getting their PS4 library to PS5 will have a lot more value to many. Value isn't only about which option is cheaper, and XSX's launch titles on Game Pass are still only smaller games pretty much, with no certainty how those will even turn out quality-wise.

We don't exactly know PS5's launch lineup, but launch windows games are definitely looking better than what XSX has. You could also say that for someone just getting into PlayStation, there's way more of those dirt cheap, quality PS4 exclusives available through BC compared to XB1. They aren't that expensive from retailers, but you could also buy loads of them used and only spend a couple of dollars. This way you also get all of the games you want to play and you own them. Game Pass doesn't have all of the best current gen games.

Overwhelming majority of people just don't play 50 games in a year, and that's a fact. For me it has been something like 4-5 + Apex. Of course Game Pass is a good deal, but for several reasons most still prefer Playstation.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Joo

May 25, 2018
Series X will sell out shortly after preorders regardless of Sony's price. You can discount it at a later time when supply exceeds demand.
But this would definitely get some bad press and pissed off reactions from early adopters. There's a good reason why launch prices usually don't change immediately after launch, and we are not in a XB1 situation with Kinect. So imo at least whatever the launch prices are, expect them to stay that way for a couple of years.

ShivereZ

Banned
Jun 10, 2020
Mauritius
I think that both disc systems (Series X and PS5) are going to be great systems which will likely have some games run better on one and some run better on another. There will be games which are designed to take advantage of each architecture and will therefore end up being great on their own. Both are going to have a $499 price but that is because that was the best price Microsoft and Sony could put it without having a significant loss I think.

Microsoft and Sony have focused on different things. This is great for us as consumers! :)

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing. It's why they described their current prices as ERP instead or RRP/MSRP imo.

Yeah, I think this is why they did that.

They announced a price but also set pre-orders to go live later two weeks later. They've got a buffer where they can react if they need to.

I don't think they'll need to.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
If anyone has links to analyst insider info about costs after the reveal / based on final models I'd like to see it (as opposed to the early simplistic analysis based on specs alone). I changed my mind about expected costs after I saw the PS5 box and the descriptions of the components and cooling solution from Cerny and if they're good at their jobs I expect they will have as well, unless someone has leaked info from factories etc. with info I haven't seen.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's generally difficult to raise a price once it's been announced, but would it really be taken badly if Microsoft simply said, "We can match that." They put up a commercial with the old price, strike it through, and announce they're matching Sony.

How is that a bad move?

(edit: assuming "match" means reduce to a Sony attempt to undercut.)

I can't see Sony undercutting MS. Sony has some expensive tech in their machine.

I don't think they'll see a need to either, since their brand is so strong.

How would MS react to being undercut? They'd probably do a price drop early next year, like they did shortly after the xbox one launched.

Oct 27, 2017
Series X will sell out shortly after preorders regardless of Sony's price. You can discount it at a later time when supply exceeds demand.
I'd also agree with this and the reverse of it tbh. Its also why I think their whole game of chicken and wanting to have a drop the mic moment like Sony's price last gen wasn't really going to happen anyway. I can see price matching wiggle room, but no big undercuts at launch.

At launch the purchasers heavily skew towards enthusiasts who will buy out every unit that can be manufactured anyway. The real pricing battles won't happen until there are more bundle deals 6-12 months later when general availability is better.

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
well it's a sure way to say to your customers that you were about to fuck them in the ass raw, but changed your mind at the last second because of competition in a panic move.
Also the best way ever to demonstrate that there were no justification for your product to be more expensive in the first place.
Nobody does that, it never goes well. it's damaging to your brand.
If they really cared about the hardware sales of the premium model (they don't) they'd wait for a year or so before such a move.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Personally I would view it as reactionary and that Microsoft were worried about their product, I mean they've literally released a cheaper machine to try and target gamers who don't have the money to upgrade fully at launch, I don't see any reason for them to cut the price of the XSX at all. The amount of negative PR it would generate completely outweighs any benefit.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
There wouldn't really be anything stopping them except for taking a bigger hit on each console. (which they're probably not willing to do).

But also PS5 is highly unlikely to be cheaper anyway.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Game Pass adds a huge amount of value to Day One people. MS could easily explain the console prices with the many of the launch titles coming as part of Game Pass and not as a separate purchase above the console.

Not for me with their current output. The bigger games on there I already played and the ones I want day one are not there. So PS5 has much bigger value to me.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The cost per unit was around $450 for the PS5 according to Bloomberg, and then Zhuge thought the Series X was anywhere from $460 low to $520 high:

People put way too much stock in these numbers. They're just semi informed guesses . While a bit useful, shouldn't be used as the basis of further deduction.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
Value is subjective.

Sony can just match MS on price and emphasize how they have a free game included with every console.

Even if the PS5 ends up at $450 and PS5D at $400, I doubt MS would do anything. They still went with $500 for XBO X when the PS4 Pro was already $100 less.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I mean, the very best thing that could happen for consumers is that Sony comes in at $449 and Microsoft feels they have to match it. It feels unlikely for multiple reasons though.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
No one knows, but there's been this "game of chicken" where no one wanted to announce price. If Sony undercuts MS, is there anything stopping MS from matching?

The game of chicken ended a couple of days ago.

MS has laid the marker. We don't even have a teardown of a PS5 yet.

You are right though, MS could match the pricing and use some excuse as exchange rates or something 😊

Gareth

Oct 25, 2017
Norn Iron
Either company could reduce the price of their boxes if they want, but it could of course eat into the overall profitability of the platforms, so it's not done lightly I'm sure.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox could probably stay higher and just promote All Access harder. They could make the point that they are only asking you to pay $35 to walk away with a top tier next gen machine.