Dec 14, 2017
It's generally difficult to raise a price once it's been announced, but would it really be taken badly if Microsoft simply said, "We can match that." They put up a commercial with the old price, strike it through, and announce they're matching Sony.

How is that a bad move?

(edit: assuming "match" means reduce to a Sony attempt to undercut.)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, one thing that's probably going to prevent them from doing so is that on the high end they're going to be the same price.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Have Sony announced a price yet? I doubt MS will be bothered to match unless Sony does something utterly crazy. The value with the Xbox is higher at this point, so that is the way MS will swing it, regardless of what Sony does.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think anybody expects the disc edition of the PS5 to beat the Series X.

But theoretically, if Sony does, then yes they could reduce it

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Not that unprecedented. Here in the uk they lopped £100 off the original Xbox within a month of launch.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Could be related to the influence of Phil Spencer and the division is conducting in the company board. Because such decisions (can) impinge on global results of the main company, some could require a collective approval.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The only thing Microsoft Cant do is raise the price.

Folks would cheer if Sony came in $50 under and Xbox's price was stealth dropped before launch.

I'm betting the ps5 is 100% gonna match the XSX.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft could do it but I think they are still in a pretty good position even if Sony can somehow get the disc ps5 to be less than 499. Sony aren't getting close to 299 with the discless version and MS can justify the X being a little more expensive as it's more powerful.

Darmik

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing outside of some negative PR that they initially wanted to charge higher without Sony's input and makes them look reactionary instead of confident in their product.

But 3DS was in a much more awkward position and cutting the price not long after launch was the right move there. Worked out fine for them in the end.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
It just would look bad, they've shown their hand and shown where they're willing to go. That doesn't mean they aren't willing to go lower, or that they dont want to charge higher. But they just cant go higher now

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
"Why doesn't Microsoft just match Sony's currently unknown price point? It's easy, all they have to do is literally guess"

Oct 27, 2017
Have Sony announced a price yet? I doubt MS will be bothered to match unless Sony does something utterly crazy. The value with the Xbox is higher at this point, so that is the way MS will swing it, regardless of what Sony does.

Console gamers always gravitate towards the cheapest option that will get a playable port of the games. I think that's one of the reasons why the Gamecube failed, it was always cheaper but it had terrible third-party support (plus no DVD player, a weird controller, no real online play, etc).

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The Series X is more expensive to manufacture, so they're taking a bigger loss on the same price.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
I think this is the first time the price of their console has ERP instead of MSRP. That says to me they are ready to be flexible on price if they think they need to.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Companies make decisions with the number one goal of earning the most amount of money possible overall. "Beating the competition" only has value if it helps achieve that primary goal.

No good business team would pick less money at #1 than more money at #2.

All of that is to say the only thing that would prevent MS from lowering their price is that they don't think it's the best financial decision for them.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I don't think MS will be too fussed unless disc based PS5 comes in at like $399, which seems impossible. At $449 vs $499 they can just lean on "well ours is more powerful, so it costs a little more" and the fact that S will be the mass market system whereas X is a little more for enthusiasts who are less price sensitive.

But I really don't expect full PS5 to be less than $499.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Game Pass adds a huge amount of value to Day One people. MS could easily explain the console prices with the many of the launch titles coming as part of Game Pass and not as a separate purchase above the console.
Value is not always expressed in how cheap you can get things. Value in gaming, for me, is expressed by the potential titles hitting a console. Therefore, the "value" is higher on PS5 than on Xbox, for me. Backwards compatibility (ecosystem) also adds value for people who already own the last PlayStation, though not so much for me

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
Value is not always expressed in how cheap you can get things. Value in gaming, for me, is expressed by the potential titles hitting a console. Therefore, the "value" is higher on PS5 than on Xbox, for me. Backwards compatibility (ecosystem) also adds value for people who already own the last PlayStation, though not so much for me

Do we know the launch titles for both?

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Value is also how much you can get for your money. Many people, especially those thinking about jumping into a next-gen console, need to feel that the money they drop gives them value, not just at launch but going forward as well. Regardless of what side people fall on, the value proposition of Game Pass is pretty damn high, especially with Series S being super cheap. IMO of course.

Neo Ankh

Oct 12, 2019
Yes Microsoft could change their prices based on what Sony does. I've never seen the term "estimated retail price" used before either.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Value is also how much you can get for your money. Many people, especially those thinking about jumping into a next-gen console, need to feel that the money they drop gives them value, not just at launch but going forward as well. Regardless of what side people fall on, the value proposition of Game Pass is pretty damn high, especially with Series S being super cheap. IMO of course.

Gamepass means nothing if you want to carry your PS4 library across to the PS5, that is of more value personally. Being invested in a platforms eco system is a major reason to stay.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México

IMHO, the possibility to use your old peripherals add value too.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Unless the ps5 price is the same or really close to the XSS, then I don't think there is any need to. However, I do think they could change the price if they wanted.

scrapple

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just be happy the Xbox exists.... otherwise, we would still be on PS4 for a couple more years, or if they decided to release the PS5, it would be $599 or more... competition is gooooood.

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
MS probably have a decent idea what Sony are going to come in at and have priced based on that as well as what they believe is a good loss amount per console. Sony are likely going to have to announce the price of the PS5 this week so there's plenty of opportunity for MS to match the price if they want to, they won't mention competitors in a commercial though. I think we're more than likely going to see parity on prices though.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Maybe let's wait for the PS5 price before making threads like this? No way we can possibly comment in any meaningful way without knowing the data.

Automagical

Jun 27, 2020
Game Pass adds a huge amount of value to Day One people. MS could easily explain the console prices with the many of the launch titles coming as part of Game Pass and not as a separate purchase above the console.
Day 1 Series X shoppers will trend to be ingrained gaming enthusiasts, so more likely to already have played the generally older games in game pass.
Also game pass is good (i have pc only game pass) but keep in mind even if you allocate all the PC gamepass memberships to console, gamepass has less than 20% penetration rate on current gen xbox. so obviously the sales pitch isnt hitting everyone potential buyer the same.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Apparently they're already losing over $100 on the Series X and I'm sure quite a bit too on the Series S. not sure theyll be willing to go any further.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
$299/499 is a great combo, the only reason they would need to go lower is if PS5 Digital is $349, at that point they need to drop Series S down to $249. Series X at $499 can stay there even if PS5 Standard is $399 since they can use the most powerful label to justify the higher price.

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
Do we know the launch titles for both?
There have been some vague mentions, but with "potential titles" I was looking longer term.

I'm not dismissing what you believe is value, because you're absolutely right too. I'm just adding another group of people, including me, who believe that other value propositions are more valuable to us. Namely games I cannot get on that platform or games from the previous iteration of a platform I can replay/continue playing. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Just be happy the Xbox exists.... otherwise, we would still be on PS4 for a couple more years, or if they decided to release the PS5, it would be $599 or more... competition is gooooood.
Agreed. I'm glad Xbox are bouncing back and coming in strong, after a "bad" console generation. Put some pressure on Sony, so they increase their value so I can benefit more off it. Still a bit on the fence about the profit generated by Gamepass and what it would mean for (first party) big budget games, however.

Monopolies are never good.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
It feels like you guys are all assuming that pricing decisions are made solely on what the competitors set their price at. Trust me they are not, maybe in a commodity industry but this is not that. Microsoft/Sony aren't adjusting price less than 2 months before launch if one undercuts another by $50.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I'm not dismissing what you believe is value, because you're absolutely right too. I'm just adding another group of people, including me, who believe that other value propositions are more valuable to us. Namely games I cannot get on that platform or games from the previous iteration of a platform I can replay/continue playing. Different strokes for different folks, right?

Also agree! Will certainly be interesting to see how Sony price their new consoles. Based upon the tech we are getting the 499 mark seems likely. Any less is a bonus!

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anybody expects the disc edition of the PS5 to beat the Series X.

But theoretically, if Sony does, then yes they could reduce it
Fundamentally though the two consoles are the same in terms of effective performance (disc and digital) so the 399 Digital would be the same as the 499 Disc. Its just the delivery method that changes. Therefore they should treat the 399 as their primary competition as they dont have an equivalent box at the same power level thats digital only.

Xbox is advertised as an Estimated Retail Price. Thats room for adjustment should Sony try for a mic drop.

Phil always said they wouldn't be out of position on power or price — maybe this is what Grubb is alluding to them spending money on