JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Just here and SIFTD.

I use Discord, but mainly just to do voice chat when I'm playing games with friends. Not as some kind of forum replacement.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Just ResetERA.

Used to do Penny-Arcade forums but things are kinda stagnant over there. It's mostly game-specific threads, most of which are for games I'm not interested in.

Might look into Giant Bomb soon if they'll let me recover my password.

Deleted member 59929

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 12, 2019
I came to gaf by way of the Penny Arcade Forums, which was my first. I putzed around in the Giant Bomb forums a bit when gaf first went down.

Haven't been to the PA Forums in a long time though. 2010 or 2011 was the last time I regularly posted. It's probably been that long since I read the comic as well.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honest question. If you're a member here is there a real value in going to neogaf? As far as getting information fast and discussing video games this site seems to do it faster and be more active.

As far as forums go, like others said there really isn't anything left for video games. I go to reddit and follow people on Twitter for gaming news and discussion.

Barahir_mjh

Feb 18, 2018
I like QuarterToThree's forums. More PC-oriented but still a good amount of console discussion, nice people with thoughtful discussion, reasonably active.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Just here really after making the exodus from GAF, where I think I was a member since 2004 or 2005. Not to go down that path, but I received a 1-week ban there near the end after I made one comment questioning a thread's value after all that time w/o even a warning. Changed my impression of the place instantly.

I'll read comments/discussions elsewhere, but outside of Reddit, I rarely participate.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Went from Gaf to Era and have only been here since it began, only used Gaf before as well. The only time I ever visit somewhere else is when I google a random game question like how to do something for a trophy.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I frequent the gamefaqs console boards, it's a little bit more wild and shitty compared to here but I've been using those boards since I was a young kid and it's hard to stop going. Outside of that I browse certain game reddits like football manager, the sims and rimworld but not super often and I don't typically post there.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Only this now. Used to do Reddit for ~5 years until this year (was on it way too much). Also did some GameFaqs for a short bit around the FFXV release and quickly dipped out because of how toxic it was.

OP
OP
TheMan

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just ResetERA.

Used to do Penny-Arcade forums but things are kinda stagnant over there. It's mostly game-specific threads, most of which are for games I'm not interested in.

Might look into Giant Bomb soon if they'll let me recover my password.
I completely forgot about penny arcade. I used to post there for a short while but some of their peeps could be extremely hostile. Haven't even read their comic in years at this point. Are they still popular?

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Honest question. If you're a member here is there a real value in going to neogaf? As far as getting information fast and discussing video games this site seems to do it faster and be more active.

As far as forums go, like others said there really isn't anything left for video games. I go to reddit and follow people on Twitter for gaming news and discussion.
The discussions are usually less one sided there and the moderation is less ott.

Bookkoo

Apr 9, 2018

I visit both places on occasion and generally I find the discussions about games over there tend to stay on track about the games. Here they get derailed into other issues

I also find it more hostile on Resetera at times

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
As far as true forums? I wouldn't count Reddit, but I do check Reddit maybe once a week. Steam forums are just for searches for fixes. I never participate. I have login at a few Toyota forums... I only show up when I need something. And that's super rare because that only happens if some complicated procedure is undocumented.

So then besides that, I haven't touched a traditional forum other than "here" maybe 10 years. Longer? Except lately, I've been visiting metacouncil. It's pretty slow, and the front page gets spammed with trailers, but it's worth dropping in on every day or two, or especially to take a quick break from here with some familiar faces.

Their (our, I guess. I still feel like a tourist there.) slogan includes something like 'no mods, no admins'.

thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-lets-see-if-it-pays-29081193.png

Aside from these two forums, I have almost no social media presence at all. No Facebook, no Twitter. I check Reddit once a week like I said. I have a discord account and anyone is welcome to say hi to me anytime, but I go months and months without using it. Never been into social media. I've no desire to keep track of so many people.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
There's one or two other forums i frequent, one of which is N-Europe. I know a few of it's members are on Era as well. And i lurk about on Nintendo Life as well, but that's it in terms of forums. There are others i check in now and again, but don't post anything.

I lurk about on Reddit as well, but that's not a forum as such.

Oct 25, 2017
Retro Game Boards, and Talking Time.

Both of which are smaller communities, but have great discussions. I'll admit that I lurk on both of those boards way too frequently though. Retro Game Boards was actually an offshoot created during the great migration, but is focused on retro gaming. It's definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed the emulation & retro appreciation threads at the old place.

i also visit sonic/sega retro still, but that's more specialized than those.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Basically nothing else. I have an account in the forums of a local gaming magazine (comes with the subscription), but I have like 6 posts there. I used to be more active there about 15 years ago.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I used to frequent The Horror Is Alive (Resident Evil fan forum) a lot 10 years ago, now it's pretty dead sadly.

Then there was a mix of GameFAQS and NeoGaf. But those places are garbage now.
Don't get me started on my friends recommending me 4chan, that site is an absolute cesspit.

Now I only visit ERA, even for my gaming space the rest of the online communities on the internet can be and are usually too toxic. Forums are dead these days anyways.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Metacouncil is the only other place I visit on a regular basis and post. I do browse reddit every now and then, but I don't post very often.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Retro Game Boards, and Talking Time.

Both of which are smaller communities, but have great discussions. I'll admit that I lurk on both of those boards way too frequently though. Retro Game Boards was actually an offshoot created during the great migration, but is focused on retro gaming. It's definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed the emulation & retro appreciation threads at the old place.

i also visit sonic/sega retro still, but that's more specialized than those.
Seems nice. I ll check it out.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still check the old place every once in a while and end up leaving in genuine disgust, I should stop doing that.

Things have changed a lot over there.

DaveLong

Nov 2, 2017
Retro Game Boards. If you like retro, definitely worth visiting.

Quarter To Three also, but that skews a bit older than Resetera. If you're old (like me), stop in.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I mostly just post here now. I often visit GameFAQs, but they're most useful for guides and the abundance of "How do I do X in game?" threads, and I lurk a bit on Reddit.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I read AVSForum.com heavily when I am considering any non-trivial home entertainment gear purchase, and occasionally browse their gaming OT threads which can be interesting. Also their home theatre build threads can be incredibly aspirational much like a whole forum of the "show your gaming setup" we have here.

I'll read the subreddit for most games I am into at the time if appropriate (not much point for a single player game, but for things with regular balance patches I'll be checking the reddit regularly). I consider reddit a forum. I don't read the big generic gaming subs regularly.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
I've only recently started to look at Reddit. Back in the day I posted on Gamepro's forum before it was shut down.

I've checked out GAF a few times since and it really is a mess. Basically no moderation.