• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Laiza

Oct 25, 2017
Holy balls.

I've never played a Flight Simulator game before. This just might get me to jump in.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
But then after that tough day up in the clouds you get home to your cozy front porch.. (It would be really cool if you could have a home base)

Screenshot-268-1536x819.jpg

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
yeah the weather looks super incredible, although I'm sure if you fly close to the cities the buildings probably still suck lol.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
yeah the weather looks super incredible, although I'm sure if you fly close to the cities the buildings probably still suck lol.

Major buildings will probably look real nice up close. But you'll probably get some Google Earth-y oddly stretched 3D objects like cars and trees that are not fully formed.

ANd of course you'll still be able to find spots around the earth to screencap and say "this looks bad/funky". Land in some random valley somewhere and it's impossible that everything looks pristine.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I'm almost as excited for this one game as I am for PS5. No word of release date yet apart from 2020 still right?

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Major buildings will probably look real nice up close. But you'll probably get some Google Earth-y oddly stretched 3D objects like cars and trees that are not fully formed.

ANd of course you'll still be able to find spots around the earth to screencap and say "this looks bad/funky". Land in some random valley somewhere and it's impossible that everything looks pristine.
They're using tech similar to google maps 3d view image based modeling right? Cos they actually looks pretty nice up close. Still not sure how they did that.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I don't mean this as a slight to Xbox, who I respect very much, but Flight Simulator 2020 is the first Xbox game that I've ever felt major envy about not being able to play.

It looks phenomenal. I would love a full flight simulator like this, but I don't own an Xbox, sadly for me.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I wonder if we'll get something goofy in it like a Pelican or the transport thing from GoW.
Officialy not announced yet for Series X. July would be a great idea for that tho. It comes to Xbox One also.
But PC is first focus. So think consoles in 2021
Damn, if we had E3 this year MS could have replaced the Forza car with a Cessna on stage.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to downplay it but a serious question. Isn't this easier to do because it's a flight sim an has very little geometry and static polys?

No doubt it looks amazing and I can't wait for it but isn't this a case of just amazing art direction and lighting engine that's got some amazing artists behind it more so than games set on the ground which have a lot more going on?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a graphics tech guy. And this isn't to knock that amazing work.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to downplay it but a serious question. Isn't this easier to do because it's a flight sim an has very little geometry and static polys?
Not necessarily. None of the assets look particuarly low detail and special attention is paid to airports. Also you have to consider the plane itself is really well modeled including a detailed and operational interior. Another strain on systems is the processing power needed to run the simulation with physics modeling being much more demanding than a normal game. The waves look absolutely beautiful as well. I bet even on a PC this game will take some hefty hardware to look this good.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Well yeah it's a simulator. Will be a nice benchmark. Looks amazing.
You say this like you just copy/paste reality and there you go! sim done! LOL.

They're using tech similar to google maps 3d view image based modeling right? Cos they actually looks pretty nice up close. Still not sure how they did that.
So, yea it's a 3d google earth type thing (Bing Maps, of course) for most cities - BUT THEN with a heaping helping of AI that reconstructs those images into things that look good and not screwed up. It actually uses machine learning to interpret and extrapolate what should be there and procedurally generates buildings, trees, sand dunes, etc. But for the big cities, they also have photogrammetry. Which means they have scans of cities that are accurate to the centimeter (I believe). New York and Seattle in the reveal trailer looked absolutely stunning - and true to life. Because they were.

But, of course, that sort of system isn't just plug and play. Lots of things to iron out. One of my favorites: where the sand dunes in the Sahara should've been, they had a bug where the AI thought that it was looking at brown colored trees. And so, here you are, over the sandy Sahara forest LOL

No doubt it looks amazing and I can't wait for it but isn't this a case of just amazing art direction and lighting engine that's got some amazing artists behind it more so than games set on the ground which have a lot more going on?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a graphics tech guy. And this isn't to knock that amazing work.
You might need to see some more screenshots lol. But check out the reveal trailer again. The detail on the ground is excellent for a flight sim. More detailed in the distance than quite a fair many AAA games. (And again, that's because it's not just a picture plastered onto the ground, but using a combination of satellite data and procedural generation.)

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Graphics looks like the opening of the Hellblade II trailer.

But in an open world. Which is our entire planet.

Could never have imagined being excited for a flight sim but this is insane.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
It looks incredible! Gotta wonder what this looks like on base Xbox One.

What is comparable to this game? The environment is hardly interactive.
The map is the size of the earth, like literally the size of a planet. And it's not like it's some 90's barren landscape the environment is incredibly detailed and interacts with the player

Just because you can't hop out and rob a bank ala gta doesn't mean this isn't literally incredible and worthy of the next gen moniker.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
What is comparable to this game? The environment is hardly interactive.

You can fly through it. That's interactive. The rain hits you. That's interactive.

Graphics mean how things look. Not how you interact with things. That's why the whole "But this game is open world..." excuse just doesn't wash with me.

In any event, this one literally IS open world and looks like that. Nothing else comes close.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
this is what microsoft should have used when advertising the cloud. Because of a lot of this is on the processing of the server farms doing a lot of work. It's incredible that it took them nearly a generation of touting cloud computing and stuff to get what they really wanted to basically the following generation.

But this is what the damn cloud is folks.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
When is this supposed to release? Also when are you inviting me to the Beta Microsoft? Or Asobo come on, help a fellow Frenchman!

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
WOW! That looks insane!

I had zero interest in a flight sim, but those visuals may change my mind. Did i hear right that they have mapped tons of real world cities?

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
Incredible! This will be my 1st flight sim. I even have a HOTAS ready as I've got one for Elite Dangerous.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Was going to make a post about this same video, haha. It looks ridiculous.

The weather tech in MSFS is bananas, and I'm salivating at the possibility of this tech making it's way into a Forza Horizon title.

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised they're able to make it look so good when it's being held back by the Xbox One version.

/s

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have they mentioned plans for missions or more guided experiences? I'm perfectly fine just loading into an airport and flying for two or three hours, but I'm curious if they plan to make it more interesting for a mainstream audience.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Bums me out that I'm going to be awful at actually playing this. Stoked though.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Mmph. That'll melt a lot of hardware, but I might not even buy it. Just go on YouTube and watch other people play.