• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Gah! Shouldn't have watched this. Mood for Prepar3d rising.

Looking forward to flying in this though. Well, I say flying, although it'll probably be ten minutes "work" (taking off and landing), and an hour of drinking and paying guitar while the autopilot does the rest knowing me.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And to think that this will eventually have VR support. My body is not ready.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
That's fucking ludicrous.

This title continues to be one of the best technical showcases of any game we've seen.

Apr 30, 2019
How are people not just going to sit at home all day flying airplanes around the globe instead of going into work and taking care of their families?

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Right up near the top of my most wanted games. Unfortunately being a console only player I might have to wait a bit.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Been Insider since day one (8GB club, so, you know...). If this game runs great on XSX it will singlehandedly make me buy it. I was going to get a new PC for it but I'm fairly sure I'll delay that upgrade unless there's a solid reason to go PC instead of XSX.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Flight Sim really looks more next-gen tech than anything else I've seen. Yet I see so many people saying "it doesn't count" and "but it's just a simulation". As if simulating reality is something games tend to do well elsewhere. Flight Sim is truly sorcery, as OP says.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people are gonna end up crashing because they're paying attention to the weather effects. I already know I'm doomed.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft doesn't know it yet, but this is a system seller/killer app. Looks so good

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Flight Sim really looks more next-gen tech than anything else I've seen. Yet I see so many people saying "it doesn't count" and "but it's just a simulation". As if simulating reality is something games tend to do well elsewhere. Flight Sim is truly sorcery, as OP says.

Yeah you're in the sky and often removed from the finer details but historically making a full-world flight sim look great has been challenging. The last MS Flight Sims were super demanding on hardware but still looked way behind what 'normal' games looked like at the time. Since then various other flights sims have upped the realism in their simulation but graphically they've still felt 10-15 years behind the gaming industry standards.

So making the whole world look decent out of the box, in addition to the extra polish on certain cities, airports and highlights, is a huge task, and you can't just do it with a good team, or the usual game engines, you need the kind of AI and already existing imagery MS has access to to get to that basic level. Doesn't mean every nook and cranny of this world will look great, but it will probably all look decent and close enough to real in a way flight sims never have before.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Microsoft doesn't know it yet, but this is a system seller/killer app. Looks so good

They know it.

When the team showed the game to Phil Spencer for the first time his response was: "yeah this CG video looks great but how will the actual game look?" They then handed him the controller and he realized he was actually SEEING the real game in motion, in real time.

They know. :)

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They know it.

When the team showed the game to Phil Spencer for the first time his response was: "yeah this CG video looks great but how will the actual game look?" They then handed him the controller and he realized he was actually SEEING the real game in motion, in real time.

They know. :)
Haha what a troll holy shit they got Phil

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Not necessarily. None of the assets look particuarly low detail and special attention is paid to airports. Also you have to consider the plane itself is really well modeled including a detailed and operational interior. Another strain on systems is the processing power needed to run the simulation with physics modeling being much more demanding than a normal game. The waves look absolutely beautiful as well. I bet even on a PC this game will take some hefty hardware to look this good.

One of the few games to wanna use 32GBs and a very hefty cpu besides a solid to great gpu.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Legit a killer app and single handedly making me not dismiss getting an XBSX despite having a big PS4 collection I want PS5 BC for and me wanting Miles Morales

Oct 27, 2017
Not the kind of game I'd play myself, but goddamn that looks insane. Would be fun if they included some goofy references to other MS games, like seeing a Halo in orbit around earth, those transport things from GeoW or Gruntilda flying past on a broom.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I've got the same question. With this and star wars squadron coming out I need a hotas in my life.

Is any USB one compatible with xbox? It'll also be plugged into a pc... Going to do some googling.
There's only one.

T.Flight Hotas One - Joystick for Xbox One and PC | Thrustmaster

FIRST OFFICIAL FLIGHT SIMULATOR for Xbox One and Windows +Recommended for Elite Dangerous Xbox One Ready for take-off on Xbox One: * Optimized joystick mapping * Plug and Play in space-sim games * Full-size detachable throttle. Works on Xbox Series X|S

Works great with Elite Dangerous & Ace Combat

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the purpose of XGS if this team isn't sharing their tech and recipes with other studios. I know they aren't first party but the game is. Or am I crazy to think that?

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
It's among my top 5 most wanted games, but I can't see this having much of an impact outside of the flight sim community. Not in a "system seller" way at least. I'm sure many will try it cause it's free with game pass and looks bonkers. Maybe fly around their house/famous landmarks, have some dumb fun, but the real beauty of this game lays within it's simulation aspects. And those will not appeal to most people, especially not on console. And that's great. I don't want them to compromise on the sim part like they did with Microsoft Flight. They're hitting all the right notes so far.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's among my top 5 most wanted games, but I can't see this having much of an impact outside of the flight sim community. Not in a "system seller" way at least. I'm sure many will try it cause it's free with game pass and looks bonkers. Maybe fly around their house/famous landmarks, have some dumb fun, but the real beauty of this game lays within it's simulation aspects. And those will not appeal to most people, especially not on console. And that's great. I don't want them to compromise on the sim part like they did with Microsoft Flight. They're hitting all the right notes so far.

Well the old MS Flight Sims were also best sellers, NPD top 10 material

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Still in awe everytime I saw this lol. I wonder if all the cloud tech is done in house or if they use additional software like TrueSky.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This totally shits on the Forzas and Gran Turismos of this world. It's hard to describe why but this simulator is doing things better than all those racing sims.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
I certainly hope more HOTAS will be compatible with Series X when this is out, they have to know there are plenty of flight sim fans who don`t want to buy extra console exclusive joysticks for this