amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Belfast Giants and Cardiff Devils are tied on points on the last day of the season.

Giants lead on regulation wins but already played their last game.

Cardiff are away to Coventry Blaze, who have nothing to play for, and need a point to take a third league title in a row.

Giants could do nothing, it was their awards night. All games played, did all they could. At one point they were 11 points behind Cardiff, but now it was tied on points.

Coventry struck first. We were in a bar before we were due to head to the awards night. They struck again. Nerves set in, was it happening?

Cardiff pull one back. They only needed the point. This had to be it, the hope that kills you...

It went into the third period.

We were in the hotel for the awards night and everyone was standing around very nervous.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl.

Cardiff pulled their goalie... then it happened, with 1 minute to go, the ENG... and the place went nuts.

There's an entire period of time I lost between the end of that game and it actually settling in.

11 points behind to League Champions.

Coventry played our goal song after the game in an act of pure shithousery.

To be honest, I have no idea what you are trying to describe. I even looked online to try and work out which match you are on about.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Leicester winning the premier league has to be up there. Just for the sheer improbability of it.

3733712000000578-0-image-m-3_1471124199972.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The last hour of this year's cricket World Cup final.

AGUEROOOOOOOO

The last lap of the 2008 Brazilian grand prix

Will never see another Cricket game like it, and in the World Cup final to boot.

Being English I could barely watch, it was too much

Other than that ... you know how teams might send up the goalie for a corner at the end of the game when they really, really need to score? Well for Carlisle they did that in the last game of the season. If they lost they were relegated from the football league (the set of main professional leagues) after seventy years. Their goalkeeper was on loan from Swindon Town. A young chap known as Jimmy Glass:

Leicester winning the premier league has to be up there. Just for the sheer improbability of it.

All of these are amazing shouts, Jimmy Glass was legendary and I was going to bring it up myself if someone hadn't already done so.

I've watched a fuck load of all kind of sports but this years cricket world cup final was fucking ridiculous and might be the legit GOAT, it was that amazing a roller-coaster.

I'll add Derek Redmond's hamstring exploding mid race and his dad running onto the track to help carry his son the rest of the way.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
93:20

Last game of the season, last real kick of the game, local rivals, one team with decades of success and the most decorated team and manager in the league, another with decades of shit coming close then completely fucking it up and in the final game looked like a repeat against a bottom of the league team.

The United game ends slightly earlier with players seeing the score and celebrating winning the league just for them to get news that City has scored then quickly everything changing, resulting in one of the best side by sides in sport history.

It would also be a foreshadowing of things to come, the beginning of the end of an era for one and the start of an era of success for another.

Last edited:

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Easily 2016 World Series. Go Cubs!
Eh the cubs beat an overachieving Indians squad. 2016 cavs came back and beat the team that flew by the nbas all time regular season best record previously held by Jordan's holy squad. Cubs streak was longer yes but the accomplishment wasn't near the level of wow the nba finals had that year

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Bolt winning gold in the 100 & 200 in 3 consecutive games is something that will take a long time to be equalled. I think in general accomplishments by individuals trump team sports.

Oct 30, 2017
on a personal level, definitely a washed-up matt le tissier coming on as a sentimental sub then scoring the last ever goal at the dell to beat arsenal 3-2. can't beat it.

this year alone though kawhi's buzzer beater and the cricket world cup final are both strong GOAT contenders.

Last edited:

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
There's a surprising amount of recency bias in this thread. The greatest sporting event of all time is almost certainly Dempsey vs. Willard, the greatest moment obviously being the Dempsey Roll.

It's almost impossible to comprehend just how nasty, unbelievable, and completely singular an event like this was in boxing. The man he beat was over 60 pounds heavier and a foot taller than him. Even with the 1919 cameras, you can feel how visceral this fight was. Both combatants are absolutely soaked in blood by the end.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
As a Seahawks fan, my two personal favorites would be Beast Quake and Richard Sherman's tip in the NFC Championship.

For a moment I was in person to witness, it would be Frank Lampard's last minute goal to put NYCFC over DC United. He scored a goal in the 84th minute for the lead, and after DC tied it in the 90th, he scored again in the 92nd minute for a brace and the win. And the best part was that they celebrated Frank Lampard Day in the pre-game ceremony.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

The return of the Pats dominating the Super Bowl era 10 years later. 28-3 was better but this felt more important.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Eh the cubs beat an overachieving Indians squad. 2016 cavs came back and beat the team that flew by the nbas all time regular season best record previously held by Jordan's holy squad. Cubs streak was longer yes but the accomplishment wasn't near the level of wow the nba finals had that year

LOL

I take it you aren't a baseball fan.

Middleman

Banned
Jun 14, 2019
If LeBron had flushed that tomahawk over Draymond in game 7, that would be a contender.

But the answer is clearly "Leo Barry you star!"

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
LOL

I take it you aren't a baseball fan.
the 2016 cleveland indians were an extremely young team. i don't see how coming back over an overachieving squad which was way younger and not on their level, comes close to comparing to embarassing the team that ran over the all time regular season wins record in their sport. the cubs regular season record was 10 games higher than the indians was.

the cubs weren't the underdog at any point. they allowed over a hundred less runs in the season than the indians did that year. the cubs payroll was 180 million to the indians 100. the cubs had EIGHT players with a higher payroll than the indian's biggest star, LOL. meanwhile the golden state warriors literally broke most of the NBA's regular season records by a country mile (the cavs were trailing by 43 points in a key regular season game to GSW in the same season), and the cavs still overcame this.

Last edited:

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
the 2016 cleveland indians were an extremely young team. i don't see how coming back over an overachieving squad which was way younger and not on their level, comes close to comparing to embarassing the team that ran over the all time regular season wins record in their sport. the cubs regular season record was 10 games higher than the indians was. the cubs weren't the underdog at any point

because the Cubs won the World Series. Nothing that year comes close. Whoever they were playing didn't even matter.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Catch 42. The Helmet Catch. Manning to Tyree.

Leads to the end of the Patriots' perfect season in the biggest game of the year.

Call me a homer, but this is it.

This play is what got me into football. I've never seen anything in any sport come close to beating the absolute magnificence of this moment.

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it can be the greatest moment if it's a sport only a small part of the world watches... I'm going with Usain Bolt's world records in both 100m and 200m.

Emobacca

Nov 2, 2017
Imagine being an American and not saying The Miracle On Ice

FOH naming random NBA game winners from two years ago

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Patriots come back from 28-3.

This was the first time I had ever watched a Super Bowl. I was just visiting a friend's house and they were watching it. Dude had to be explaining everything to me as the game was going on, and I still don't fully understand the game, but it was still freaking amazing to watch.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
philly philly giving the eagles their first SB, and revenge over the pats (and a win over brady/bb)
leicester winning the PL off the back of a racist thai orgy beating 1/5000 odds
lebron's game 7 block to win the nba finals for the cavs after being 3-1 down
istanbul

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
B14d36u.png

If you're American, I'd say Miracle on Ice, 1980 mens olympic hockey gold medal against the Soviet Union*.

Let me make an argument why:
  • 1980 winter olympics in the dearth of American presence internationally and at home, arguably the lowest state of the US in a century. The 70s were the worst decade for the country since the 1930s, still stinging from Vietnam, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the economic debacle of the 70s, Watergate & Impeachment... Everything else that should make you feel bad about the 70s.
  • The US men's hockey team was amateur college players from Boston University, Minnesota, handful of other schools, most of whom would never go onto play professional hockey to any notoriety... Literally just college kids.
  • The Soviet Union was arguably the greatest collection of professional hockey players ever assembled, the majority of whom were paid by the government to solely play hockey, train, take drugs, and win. The Soviet hockey team had won four consecutive gold medals.
  • The US hockey team's performance even up to the gold medal was unexpected, they weren't even the 5th best national team in the world, let alone the best.
  • They won in thrilling, exciting fashion, with two goals coming in the 3rd period to come back and win
  • It became an instant classic, and has one of the greatest calls in all of sports... Al Michaels, novice commentator, declaring, "Do You believe in miracles?! YES!!"

*Technically the upset of the soviet union was not got the gold medal, which would come in the next game against Finland winning 4-2. This game is notable for the AMerican coach telling his players after the 2nd intermission, "If you lose this game I swear to god you'll take it to your fucking graves." And they went onto again score 2 goals in the 3rd to win.

Last edited:

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Miracle on Ice was an incredible feat, but it was ultimately on home soil for the Americans. Maracanaço > Miracle on Ice