M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Rumble in the Jungle?

Jesse Owens?

For me it's Laettners game winner, I was watching it live, God damn it still gives me chills.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Catch 42. The Helmet Catch. Manning to Tyree.

Leads to the end of the Patriots' perfect season in the biggest game of the year.

Call me a homer, but this is it.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Super hipster moment from a sport nobody here probably follows but:

Park winning the gold medal at the last Olympics. He was down 14-10 in epee. 15 is match point and there are no deuces in fencing. Not only that, but in epee if both you and your opponent hit each other at the same time(or close enough) you both get a point. So generally the leading fencer has a huge advantage since they can aim for doubles instead of singles. This is especially true when they only need one to win the match.

Park went full anime and started saying this to himself in the break before the final period:

4by7qlcmahex.gif

Then this fucking beauty of a comeback happened. The best thing is watching the Korean commentators go "ehhh well he did really well, you know. Hey maybe he could--HOLY SHIT HE'S ACTUALLY DOING IT" and losing their shit.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
No such thing as "the greatest" there're plenty of great moments:

- Super Bowl LI
- Cleveland winning the NBA title
- "The Rumble in the Jungle"
- Wilt Chamberlain hitting 100 points
- Liverpool's comeback in 2005 CL

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Super hipster moment from a sport nobody here probably follows but:

Park winning the gold medal at the last Olympics. He was down 14-10 in epee. 15 is match point and there are no deuces in fencing. Not only that, but in epee if both you and your opponent hit each other at the same time(or close enough) you both get a point. So generally the leading fencer has a huge advantage since they can aim for doubles instead of singles. This is especially true when they only need one to win the match.

Park went full anime and started saying this to himself in the break before the final period:

4by7qlcmahex.gif

Then this fucking beauty of a comeback happened. The best thing is watching the Korean commentators go "ehhh well he did really well, you know. Hey maybe he could--HOLY SHIT HE'S ACTUALLY DOING IT" and losing their shit.

This dropped my jaw. Thank you for sharing this.

But my pick would be Hulk Hogan vs The Rock at Wrestlemania.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Belfast Giants and Cardiff Devils are tied on points on the last day of the season.

Giants lead on regulation wins but already played their last game.

Cardiff are away to Coventry Blaze, who have nothing to play for, and need a point to take a third league title in a row.

Giants could do nothing, it was their awards night. All games played, did all they could. At one point they were 11 points behind Cardiff, but now it was tied on points.

Coventry struck first. We were in a bar before we were due to head to the awards night. They struck again. Nerves set in, was it happening?

Cardiff pull one back. They only needed the point. This had to be it, the hope that kills you...

It went into the third period.

We were in the hotel for the awards night and everyone was standing around very nervous.

Time seemed to slow to a crawl.

Cardiff pulled their goalie... then it happened, with 1 minute to go, the ENG... and the place went nuts.

There's an entire period of time I lost between the end of that game and it actually settling in.

11 points behind to League Champions.

Coventry played our goal song after the game in an act of pure shithousery.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
my biased picks are...

BsMGRaTIYAEIrmr.jpg

Tracey Porter pick 6 to secure the Saints victory in Super Bowl XLIV

Adam Griffith's onside kick to secure Alabama's first NCAA CFP title. I was on campus as a student when this happened. It was madness. I'll never forget walking outside the bar into this

Strip-celebration.png

Nov 6, 2017
Alex Honnold free soloing (climbing
without ropes or any kind of protective gear) El Capitan, wich is a sheer 3000 ft granit wall in Yosemite.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I don't think it's possible to say there is a greatest moment.

A good football one though Arsenal won the League ahead of Liverpool in the final game of the season playing at Liverpool/Anfield and had to win 2-0, they scored the second goal in the final minute. An entire season down to the last minute at ground of the other side that are going to win it.

And of course Leicester winning the league recently which is more unlikely than any sports movie.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think it's possible to say there is a greatest moment.

A good football one though Arsenal won the League ahead of Liverpool in the final game of the season playing at Liverpool/Anfield and had to win 2-0, they scored the second goal in the final minute. An entire season down to the last minute at ground of the other side that are going to win it.

Came here to post this. I'm not a fan of either side but for me it was just breathtaking.

Other than that ... you know how teams might send up the goalie for a corner at the end of the game when they really, really need to score? Well for Carlisle they did that in the last game of the season. If they lost they were relegated from the football league (the set of main professional leagues) after seventy years. Their goalkeeper was on loan from Swindon Town. A young chap known as Jimmy Glass:

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
Alex Honnold free soloing (climbing
without ropes or any kind of protective gear) El Capitan, wich is a sheer 3000 ft granit wall in Yosemite.
Quite frankly everything else just looks shallow in comparison to this. So this would be my pick too.

Followed by something like Alexander Huber's many many free solo ascents of the Dolomites even into his later years.

Toxicgonzo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
The Pacers vs Pistons brawl aka the Malice at the Palace.

Fight breaks out between the two teams as the game comes to an end. When it's broken up, a fan throws a drink at the players. The players charge into the crowd and giant fistfight starts up

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Easy question for a Scottish Rugby fan:

Scotland and England going for the grand slam in the 5 Nations in Rugby in 1990 - Thatcher had just begun her hated Poll Tax, testing it in Scotland first, England were seen as feeling that they only needed to turn up (there were rumours they were already selling England Grand Slam winner t-shirts and ties in Edinburgh) and then the actual match happened. Scotland walked out on to the pitch instead of running out, Flower of Scotland was sung for the first time and then Scotland won the match. It's actually not the greatest match of all time - but as an event it was awesome,

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
The last hour of this year's cricket World Cup final.

AGUEROOOOOOOO

The last lap of the 2008 Brazilian grand prix
The cricket world cup final was possibly the most amazing thing I've seen this year.

Jenson Button going from last and almost a lap behind in the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix to win on the last lap.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Maybe not the greatest sporting moment ever, but it's certainly one in recent-ish times.

Usain Bolt running the 100 metres in London 2012 Summer Olympics.

I was there in person, and the eerie silence before the race begun was both fantastic and unsettling.

It was Bolt's first 100 metre race after a season of injury and below par times (for him) so, when the crowd collectively saw him change gears after the 50 metres mark and creating a gap between 1st and 2nd place, it was something that I will never forget.

nNehoDO.jpg

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Kipchoge running a marathon in 2:00:25 was superhuman, even with the pacers and windshield. There are things mentioned in here, goals, last minute wins, great shots etc that other people could have done but no one alive or in history could do that run to this point except that man.

Last edited:

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Watching Man city win the league in the last second of the last game was something special. I didn't really care about who won that game but even I jumped up and started cheering.

And watching Usain bolt smash the 100m WR like it was easy was great to watch too.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Pep's Barça completely destroying ManU in the CL 2009, culminating the most perfect year in football ever. They won everything, with style and uncontested. Best team ever. Fuck the current managers of the club and fuck Valverde.

nelsonqos

Jul 8, 2019
As a Scot, Andy Murray winning the US Open in 2012 and then Wimbledon in 2013.

After all those losses in major finals it was great to him finally do it. The man is a class act to boot as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

I don't know if another sporting moment will ever compare because of the path it too to get there, the many seemingly unending pains that came with being a Cleveland sports fan. So many memories made at our expense, as one who grew up with the Bernie Kosar Browns, the Mark Price & Hotrod Williams Cavs, the Lofton & Belle Indians. So many times close, so many times hearts broken.

Ironically, the ESPN documentary about Cleveland sports and heartbreak came out the same year we won the chip and their documentary had to get a special revision. It was like poetry. To defeat the greatest regular season team in the history of the sport -- from down 3 games to 1-- as our *break through* moment was something you expect in a storybook or a fiction sports movie. It feels that way to this very day.

These to videos? Have been open in a tab for 3 years. They'll never be closed.

Note: Our own GIF king SunhiLegend made the first video. I remain grateful.

Once a champion, always a champion.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Richmond winning the 2017 AFL grand final after a 37 year drought, jack reiwoldt getting up and singing mr bright side with the killers and then about 200,000 people spilling onto swan street in Richmond and partying until early morning. I literally cried.