• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
THIS. I'm a scientist but not of the climate, but the responses in this thread are so ignorant.

Climate change won't be a thing humans can "notice" on a human scale without checking data or records. That's what makes it so dangerous. This thread is dangerous. If there were some major sunspot activity or another anomaly causing 20 years of abnormally cold weather, we'd have liberals everywhere thinking climate change is dead an buried, and when things returned to normal we'd all be near death.

Liberals are doing a fine job of the elementary school science and misdirections too, judging by this thread.
Conservatives do control the largest portion of the textbook industry, and intentionally try to wreck science education for everyone, so naturally many liberals will be affected too.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Climate is the overall average temperatures, patterns of weather and weather intensity, and so on. Big stuff. Any one weather event, or series of events, in a locality isn't indicative of anything regarding the climate overall.

Apr 11, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Peddling conspiracy theories and spreading disinformation; account still in the junior phase.
None? Climate change takes thousands of years. You're witnessing normal variation.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
I've done a fair bit of atmospheric research, so I'm hesitant to say anything too specific. However, the area of the US I live in (the southwest) is getting increasingly dry. I don't want to say I've seen it (because I'm a human and in my 20s and have only been paying attention recently) but its evident in the data.

And it's a big deal given much of the southwest is already in drought.

None? Climate change takes thousands of years. You're witnessing normal variation.
Climate change can happen over a large range of timescales from just a few years, to decades, to hundreds, thousands or even hundreds of thousands of years.

What we're seeing now is climate change due to an uptick in CO2 (and other gases which trap heat). The rate at which it is happening is variable, but it's generally well known the climate is changing on the order of decades (each decades average is warmer than the last, that is to say).

I can provide sources if you'd like : )

Last edited:

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
My parents own a small ranch on MN and they grow alfalfa hay. It used to be they'd get 2 crops, 3 if they were lucky. Nowadays 3 is a given due to longer growing season.

We also own a cabin built in early 1900s which contains a journal cataloguing snow depth. Not comprehensive since somebody needs to have gone up there, but it's got like minimum 5 entries a year. Anyways, it's crazy to read back and see how much snow there was. We eithet get significantly less snow now or it's melting quicker.

I've always wondered if this journal would have scientific value to somebody.

Edit: to the people debating whether human lifetimes are too short to notice climate change... ask a farmer if they notice anything.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm in scotland and we like to joke that "summer is my favourite day of the year" because of how shite our weather is but it really is fucking shite the last few years. too much snow and it's constantly wet/cloudy/miserable. i really don't think we're gonna have any kind of good weather this year. wouldn't be surprised if it snowed again. if we're lucky we'll get a week of nice weather than that's us had it for another year or two. the last good weather i remember was in 2014/2015. there have been warm days but shitey warm days.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
SwindleAletschGlacier.jpg

I live in Switzerland, so It's mostly mild winters/melting glaciers. The one on the picture is Aletsch glacier, biggest glacier in the Alps, which is about 20 minutes away from where I live. It's an iconic piece of Swiss landscape and seeing it recede like that hits close to home.
Yup. The glaciers vanishing here in Switzerland is very evident. As a child, I remember having lots of snow in the Jura geographic region of Switzerland. We're lucky if we get at least some snow now during the Winter.
Edit: I agree with the other posts mentioning a word of caution, as to not confuse weather with climate. However, I still think certain larger-scale examples are becoming more and more evident. I truly believe humankind needs to feel like everything has gotten worse because of climate change before big and impactful measures will be done (i.e. like large-scale carbon capture tech perhaps?). For the record: I'm a chemist dealing with environmental stuff and have to regularly explain the carbon cycle, greenhouse effect and the vast amount of CO2 and CH4 we're pumping into the atmosphere. It's a shame we can't see these gases with our eyes...

Last edited:

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
And yes, climate != weather, even extreme weather.

It's a common misunderstanding but one that has to be sure not to be made. It's true that climate change causes extreme weather events, but the most that can be said is that climate change will lead to x% more extreme weather events than the baseline. And even that is very difficult due to coupling of climate and weather in data.

There could be a million reasons why it snowed in June or why it was a million degrees in December, and the changing climate is only one of them.

It's difficult to convey just how dangerous a changing climate is without giving into fear mongering or going into areas were less sure about (such as predicting extreme weather events). It's definitely something that needs to be worked on by both the science communication people and in the general public.

Oct 28, 2017
when it is supposed to be hot it gets hotter (and the weird even that it becomes rainy) and when its supposed to be cold it has becomes hot. places where there used to be flush of pine trees and what not, only have like barely any trees left.

my mom's hometown used to be a cold place, now is almost as hot as the city even on christmas time when it was freezing cold some decades ago. i also havent seen light bugs in years cant even remember when was the last time i saw a bunch of them together

longer drought periods as well.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was quite cold this spring until April. It usually starts getting hot a lot earlier in SC. Like late February and March.

Only real difference I've noticed over a long period of time. Or I most likely forgot any other differences. Probably that.

I'm not sure if it's wise to walk outside, feel something particularly different and immediately attribute it to climate change. It's all quite anecdotal for most people. I believe in climate change, but not because my neighbor is telling me it's hotter than usual.

Last edited:

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a climatologist, I would highly caution this thread to not mistake climate for weather. The global mean temperature has risen about 0.4 degrees C (1 degree F) in the last decade, most of which has been from the last 3 years. A decade is a very small scale in the sense of climate. Changes are happening, but human detection of these changes through simple observations like "it seems warmer" or "the weather seems more extreme and variable" is more likely due to one's expectations that it should be like that, and not due to the actual changes itself. A normal human being is not going to notice a 0.4 degree C changes spread across a decade.

There was a fun study I saw at a conference where farmers who lived in the same area for 30 years were asked how they felt things had changed from a climate perspective during that 30 year period from both a temperature and precipitation. Almost all of them answered that it felt warmer compared to 30 years ago, but the answers were about 50-50 in terms of precipitation, despite records of the region clearly showing an increasing trend of precipitation. The discrepancy was likely because the farmers knew the Earth had warmed over the last 30 years, but were unaware of precipitation trends in their region, and thus they were only able to perceive what they knew to be true. It's an interesting example of how people's perception of the past can be swayed by expectations.

With that said, damn it's been hot the last 4 years.

The 0.4 degrees is a global average but different regions experience different increases (or decreases) in temperature, which is then all averaged out.

2564_LOTI_201702_robin_sf200_standard.png

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I've noticed here in Kentucky we only have Winter and summer anymore. Also, this year has been wierd as fuck. One day it's snowing in spring and the next it's 60-70 degrees. A few weeks ago it snowed in the morning and sunshined and warm that afternoon. We were also having rough tornado's back in December and January too, which isn't normal.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
The 0.4 degrees is a global average but different regions experience different increases (or decreases) in temperature, which is then all averaged out.

2564_LOTI_201702_robin_sf200_standard.png
Notably that's for just a single month. Over a whole year it's much more uniform. Over a larger timescale even more so.

201601-201612.gif

It's true that the change in temperature is different in different parts of the world. But in general it's pretty uniform to within any degree humans would ever notice. The one major to exeption to that is the poles which have their own factors influencing them (Antarctica is either getting colder or staying the same temperature while the Arctic is getting much, much anonymously warmer than the rest of the planet)

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The collapse of the eastern seaboard flood insurance industry due to rising sea levels has been fascinating and sad to watch.

StonedRider

Oct 27, 2017
Latvia, Riga
During last 4-5 years winters start month later, in January and end month later, in April in my region (Northern Europe, Latvia). And March is colder than January.

Winters now are much warmer here than 35-40 years ago. I live 1 km from the Gulf of Riga coast and remember it being frozen completely when I was a child, and Soviet Army helicopters dropped dynamite charges to crack the ice in early Spring. Now it is quite rare we have ice cover strong enough to walk on it.

Tesseract

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
nope, i see through the lies of the jedi

i haven't noticed any real change in florida, and i've been here my whole life

not to say the climate isn't changing, it'll do that over time

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I realize my focus was too much on the past winter but those are factors that have changed over the course of decades as well. For our friends in Labrador and the North, polar bears are constantly found well outside their normal habitat and even on our island due to climate change.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
THIS. I'm a scientist but not of the climate, but the responses in this thread are so ignorant.

Climate change won't be a thing humans can "notice" on a human scale without checking data or records. That's what makes it so dangerous. This thread is dangerous. If there were some major sunspot activity or another anomaly causing 20 years of abnormally cold weather, we'd have liberals everywhere thinking climate change is dead an buried, and when things returned to normal we'd all be near death.

Speaking of overstatements...

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
We had snow in April which was weird as hell. Especially since a few days after it was in mid 70s.i feel like the seasons are shifting a bit on the calendar since I️ was a kid but it could just be registering time differently

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Just crazy powerful storms more frequently. We've had cold or hot weather out of season my whole life so that doesn't really mean much to me.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Bc seems to catch on fire just about every year now. Most of July last year was shrouded in heavy smoke from the fires so much so that the air quality was literally off the charts. I haven't ever seen it that bad in 36 years

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ice pack melting, ocean temperature warming and water levels rising are the most important ones - individual weather events are noise in the ratio.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Seasons are not opperaying right. Fishing spots that were consistent for decades are increasingly sporatic.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Game of Thrones getting pushed back the last few years due to necessary winter conditions arriving later and later in the season. I believe Kit Harrington even mentioned witnessing the disappearance of glacial ice through the years at locations where they would shoot.

Edit: found the article

Harington said it was a "very sad irony" to film in locations with diminishing ice for scenes where the arrival of winter, and the frosty undead from beyond the Wall, is feared by his character.

"We went to Iceland to find snow, because winter is here," the actor told Time. "We got there and we were lucky to get the snow we did, because in our world, winter is definitely not here. It's this weird parallel, the opposite parallel.

"We go out there this year, and the glacier that me and Rose [Leslie, who played his love interest Ygritte] filmed on four years ago, I saw it and it has shrunk. I saw climate change and global warming with my own eyes, and it is terrifying."

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/29/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-climate-change