fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Over the last decade, I have witnessed what i would call the demise of two seasons. As a kid I used to have rather cold fall seasons and normal spring seasons, that were not too hot.

Now, I have noticed that spring and autumn are much weirder than they used to be. Heat seems to tremain for a long time in the fall period, sometimes even happening in winter for several days. This is also the case in spring, where we recently went from very cold days to 28 celsius the next days. I have the feeling Spring and Fall are heavilyimpacted, with wuinter and summer remaining the only "valid" seasons today.

Have you witnessed similar things. One visible effect is mosquitoes lasting for a much longer time, sometimes being stilthere in December, which did not happen before. They also spawn earlier in the year.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
The seasons are all over the place for the past few years and it's quite noticeable.

Just a few weeks ago we had almost 30 degrees in Germany and it felt like fucking 40 or something.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You're right about the seasons. Beyond that, take a trip to Miami in October and you'll get a glimpse at the future that awaits all coastal cities. The King Tides are a surreal spectacle.

djkimothy

Oct 27, 2017
Super mild winters here. Every year we break records in warmest month. This leads to a lot of pot holes.

Also, unintuitively, very cold snaps as the polar vortex keeps being a factor. So our winters are pure shit.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I live in Louisiana. Growing up, I distinctly remember actual winters, which were a nice reprieve from the hot temps the rest of the year. Slowly it's gotten milder & milder with the hurricane season worsening. Plus the major flooding we had 2 summers ago.

Tho now it's almost May and it feels breezy as fuck. I'll take it as long as I can. I hope the colder weather leads to a milder hurricane season.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The average "periods" of seasons seem warped.

I mean, getting summer weather in mid-October? Going from 80 degrees to 40 in the span of a week?

Won

Oct 27, 2017
"White" christmas has become a fairy tale for me. At best it is wet.

Beyond that this year has been pretty much busy proving that climate change is a reality.

Coldest days in a very long time at the very end of winter and now record highs way before summer. Public open air swimming places decided to open up a few days earlier, because we are going to hit summer temperatures this weekend. Again!

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Freezing rain. Growing up freezing rain was something that would happen maybe twice during winter...now it's pretty much every other week. It'll keep getting worse as temperatures get warmer (not warm enough for just rain) and there's more moisture in the atmosphere. Makes living here extremely dangerous

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I'm not sure if climate change is to blame but I see much less spiders and bees than I used to.

discogs

Oct 28, 2017
London
Snow in March in London followed by August heat the other week! Was terrifying, and when it wasn't that, it was just depressing. To hell with this world.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Outside of summer being hot as always, the other three seasons here in northern Germany are totally fucked.
We have a day or maybe two of snow a year. MAYBE. Constant weird shifts between rain/sun/rain/sun in such a way it just can't be predicted well anymore.
Days where it goes to 28°C and then the next day down to 12°C.

It's definitely not the weather I remember from being a kid or a young adult.

Deleted member 9972

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a climatologist, I would highly caution this thread to not mistake climate for weather. The global mean temperature has risen about 0.4 degrees C (1 degree F) in the last decade, most of which has been from the last 3 years. A decade is a very small scale in the sense of climate. Changes are happening, but human detection of these changes through simple observations like "it seems warmer" or "the weather seems more extreme and variable" is more likely due to one's expectations that it should be like that, and not due to the actual changes itself. A normal human being is not going to notice a 0.4 degree C changes spread across a decade.

There was a fun study I saw at a conference where farmers who lived in the same area for 30 years were asked how they felt things had changed from a climate perspective during that 30 year period from both a temperature and precipitation. Almost all of them answered that it felt warmer compared to 30 years ago, but the answers were about 50-50 in terms of precipitation, despite records of the region clearly showing an increasing trend of precipitation. The discrepancy was likely because the farmers knew the Earth had warmed over the last 30 years, but were unaware of precipitation trends in their region, and thus they were only able to perceive what they knew to be true. It's an interesting example of how people's perception of the past can be swayed by expectations.

With that said, damn it's been hot the last 4 years.

Last edited:

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
As a climatologist, I would highly caution this thread to not mistake climate for weather. The global mean temperature has risen about 0.4 degrees C (1 degree F) in the last decade, most of which has been from the last 3 years. A decade is a very small scale in the sense of climate. Changes are happening, but human detection of these changes through simple observations like "it seems warmer" or "the weather seems more extreme and variable" is more likely due to one's expectations that it should be like that, and not due to the actual changes itself. A normal human being is not going to notice a 0.4 degree C changes spread across a decade.

I think their more talking about the change in ecosystems due to stuff like higher sea levels and the effects the temperature change has on fluid flow in the atomsphere rather than the slight increase in temperature. Though obviously right in these are comparitively annecodatal changes as these sorts of things have always change and had rare events so you only really judge the actual effects by looking at this evidence over a large period of time rather exception warm or cold season etc.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weather extremes. When it rains it's almost flooding bursts everytime and then nothing for weeks to months in later spring through summer. While averages may be similar the total days it actually rains in my area is much less.

It rarely snows anymore. Being from SE Michigan, I am used to snow coverage from mid November through mid March. In the last 15 years our lay off dates were lasting into December and our return dates were creeping back towards February. Normally we would be laid off from late October through mid March.

Birds arrive weeks to a month earlier. Perineals and trees bloom weeks to a month earlier. Same insects feed and reproduce earlier. Diseases that affect plants and trees are hard to control due to their timings as well are no longer easily predictible.

That is just what I have noticed from the Metro Detroit area.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Unfortunately whenever climate change is brought up, conservatives take over the talking points with misdirections to weather as if they are one in the same. Which anyone who has had middle school science should be able to know the difference.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Way way fewer insects, seemingly less every year, with the notable exception of mosquitoes who seem to be handling the changes just fine.

Oct 27, 2017
Smoke from more frequent wild fires out west get blown into my state and wreak havoc on my girlfriend's asthma. Like you walk outside and it smells like a campfire and everything is hazy.

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
Northern Virginia here. I recall when I was growing up that winter started around early November and ended around early April pretty consistently. This year it started mid-December and is still going (albeit slowly warming up). I love the cold, so it's a shame that this nice weather has to come with all those pesky climate destruction side-effects.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Central Indiana. We've essentially lost Autumn and Spring. We'll have 70+ days up to October and November then drop down to the 40s and below until damn near May when we jump back up to the 70s and up. Hell, we just had snow a couple of weeks ago. In April.

Living in the Midwest where so many are "conservative" Bible thumpers, I'm still being told that climate change is a liberal hoax and that the earth does this periodically...despite evidence that more is going on here. I must have missed the memo where you have to get a science degree in order to vote republican

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Spring's always a weird time in Colorado but recently it seems to be going more and more off the rails. We had snow like, two, three days ago. It was eighty degrees yesterday, but my fingers started getting numb by the time I finished my walk today. Shit just can't decide.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We use to go to a place by the beach in summer where my uncle had a small place. There's 2 small dunes with a row of chalets on both of them and a beach behind one. Or there was when I was a kid. Now there's just one row, a collapsing dune and the sea.

pestul

Oct 25, 2017
We basically didn't have a winter this year in Eastern Newfoundland. The ground barely froze and neither did the ponds and lakes. It's April 28th and we will likely set a record high temperature for this date. We don't get as much fog. The wind storms are now crazy here (not including Tropical/Hurricane).

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minnesota has always had snow in October or April or even May occasionally so I haven't really noticed anything season wise. I have noticed a lot of emerald Ash borer trees needing to be cut down. The elm trees are already all gone from Dutch elm.

That's kind of an effect of climate change, people bringing bugs to parts of the world they shouldn't be.

I've also noticed less mosquitoes in the summer, which I don't mind, but it probably has some pretty major ecological impacts.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
The average "periods" of seasons seem warped.

I mean, getting summer weather in mid-October? Going from 80 degrees to 40 in the span of a week?
That's been happening in my area the past couple months, except it's more like "mid-60s to snow every three/four days"

Shit's not good. We've been having issues with plants dying because they start blooming too early then succumb to frost a week later.

Oct 27, 2017
Using weather around you as proof of climate change isn't really a good thing, especially in such a short period of time.

The last couple of years we barely had a winter here. This year, we had an awful winter.

It is better to look at scientific evidence and studies to see the effect

Panthalassic

Oct 25, 2017
Coral bleaching, sea level rise, increased erosion and coastal degradation. I live in a tropical island nation so we're one of the most at-risk to effects of climate change. It sucks.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I have not noticed honestly. If anything the storm of the century was the ireggularity in 1993.

I think the real changes are much more nuanced than "what's with this Indian Summer which has totally not been a thing before?" Or "Fuck it's hot today!". Beetles destroying forests in Canada due to a 1 degree uptick is climate change. Fuck it's hot today is weather.

Last edited:

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
Southwest PA, temperatures have been all over the place, highs have been struggling to break 50 at times. Overnight low tonight 34. Halfway through spring and the trees have barely started to bloom. Or possibly have been dying off due to blooming too early, as someone previously mentioned.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
SwindleAletschGlacier.jpg

I live in Switzerland, so It's mostly mild winters/melting glaciers. The one on the picture is Aletsch glacier, biggest glacier in the Alps, which is about 20 minutes away from where I live. It's an iconic piece of Swiss landscape and seeing it recede like that hits close to home.

Etrian Oddity

Oct 26, 2017
I live in Texas, which is known for bipolar weather. But the past three years it's been bananas, upwards of 50* temperature changes overnight.

Also, I never see frogs anymore. That's really bad.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I live in Texas, which is known for bipolar weather. But the past three years it's been bananas, upwards of 50* temperature changes overnight.

Also, I never see frogs anymore. That's really bad.

It's always been like that. When I moved here a tropical storm filled up lake Travis in 2007. Then in 2011 we had such a bad drought that the landscape was rapidly transforming into Las Vegas with the 115 degree highs and 90 degree lows to go with it. Then in 2015 and 2017 we had floods and lots of precipitation. Austin is prone to dramatic weather changes due to the proximity to the Gulf, deserts in the west and cold wet north.

scotdar

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
As a kid our summer was 2-3 weeks of mid to high 20s. Now it's 4 months of high 20s low 30s and the Province burns. Also as a kid because it was rain and sun almost all summer You would have to take two passes at the lawn. It was to thick and would bog down the mower if you tried to cut a weeks growth. Now it just yellows and I can go a month and not need to cut it at all.

TapeDispenser

Oct 29, 2017
We had record rainfall last year. It caused massive amounts of property damage. A walking trail I frequent was flooded all summer, a local beach was closed all summer from high water damage, the water drainage system in my city was so strained that every time it rained the roads flooded. When I walk along the shoreline this year, I can see how high the water line was last year. There was also a heat wave in late September that was really out of season.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

There was a fun study I saw at a conference where farmers who lived in the same area for 30 years were asked how they felt things had changed from a climate perspective during that 30 year period from both a temperature and precipitation. Almost all of them answered that it felt warmer compared to 30 years ago, but the answers were about 50-50 in terms of precipitation, despite records of the region clearly showing an increasing trend of precipitation. The discrepancy was likely because the farmers knew the Earth had warmed over the last 30 years, but were unaware of precipitation trends in their region, and thus they were only able to perceive what they knew to be true. It's an interesting example of how people's perception of the past can be swayed by expectations.

THIS. I'm a scientist but not of the climate, but the responses in this thread are so ignorant.

Climate change won't be a thing humans can "notice" on a human scale without checking data or records. That's what makes it so dangerous. This thread is dangerous. If there were some major sunspot activity or another anomaly causing 20 years of abnormally cold weather, we'd have liberals everywhere thinking climate change is dead an buried, and when things returned to normal we'd all be near death.

Unfortunately whenever climate change is brought up, conservatives take over the talking points with misdirections to weather as if they are one in the same. Which anyone who has had middle school science should be able to know the difference.

Liberals are doing a fine job of the elementary school science and misdirections too, judging by this thread.