• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Dragon Ball Z for weebs?

• Yes

Votes: 295 36.6%
  • No

Votes: 292 36.2%
  • It depends

Votes: 218 27.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I've understood weaboo as a western term for an anime otaku
An otaku is just a fan with an above average interest in a hobby. All of us would be label as a video game otaku in Japan by the amount of time we spend in this board. It doesn't take much to be label as one, as just discussing DBZ power levels on twitter will make you an anime otaku, and it doesn't matter as the word stopped being a degenerate word in the last yen years. Similar to how the word nerd and geek was normalize in the west.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
In my experience, a weeb is someone who touts Japanese language, "culture (aka niche pop culture things within Japan)," people (usually women, more usually asian women in general), and so on as better than their own versions of these things just as a matter of fact. Their entire perspective of Japan (once again Asia/Asian people) is skewed by whatever perceptions they get from anime or games. They rarely know any actual tangable facts about Japan and everything they say is usually shockingly misguided or down right weird and wrong.

Or you know, just people who thought Evangelion was deep

Hazzaku

Oct 25, 2017
Someone not from Japan whose media consumption consists mainly of anime, manga or Japanese games.
Someone who views Japan as an idyllic place that doesn't have any "issues" of the west.
Buys anime avatars on PSN (before you grill me, mine is from a Korean music game lol)

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. In Japan, the word "Otaku" means virtually the same thing as what "weaboo" means in the West. In fact, there are interviews where they show Japanese people "weaboos" and the first reactions of most of the Japanese folks are "Otakus". In other words, there is very little difference between Western Weaboos and Japanese Otakus, but they're both virtually the same.

No, they don't mean the same thing at all. Even more because otaku is a word with a varied spectrum of interests going from idols to manga to guns to trains.

ParmeSean

May 14, 2018
Weeb is something i call my friends when i pretend that i don't like Japanese media and make fun of them for doing so

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
So what I gather is that weeb is the term people use to avoid saying otaku because if they use a Japanese term, then they could be called weebs too.
Yeah. This seems to be the case to me when I see the term. I'd probably jokingly call someone a weeb if they get home from work and bring up Crunchyroll instead of Netflix on the regular.

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
For me, the word as a bad connotation. It's used by somebody that hates Japanese culture to denigrate somebody else that does. The w-word is similar to the n-word however. Between fans of Japanese media, it can be used to poke fun of oneself and becomes an insult otherwise. Some people, like me, doesn't like to be called the w-word at all. Can I love Japanese media without being called the w-word. I believe that, yes, I can.
Buddy, please don't equate "my feelings were hurt" with "generations of slavery, violence, and discrimination". That word is literally the most loaded/hateful word we have (in the west at least), and just because you self censored doesn't make it any less distasteful to throw it around like that.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
It'll always mean the original definition to me.
Someone who brazenly praises all facets of Japan and see it as superior with either a rudimentary understanding of the country or an understanding based almost entirely in video games and cartoons.

Mar 18, 2019
No, they don't mean the same thing at all. Even more because otaku is a word with a varied spectrum of interests going from idols to manga to guns to trains.
While other types of "Otaku" do exist, the word "Otaku" is most commonly used in reference to "Otaku" obsessed with anime, manga and games. In other words, "Otaku" is most used in virtually the same manner as "weeaboo" in the West. You can check out online videos of Japanese people reacting to "weeabos", and most of them just call them Otakus, or foreign Otakus.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
People who are native English speakers who refer to Attack on Titan as "Shingeki no Kyojin" or My Hero Academia as "Boku no Hero Academia."

Aka the absolute worst people.
The irony is that the names "Attack on Titan" and "My Hero Academia" are "Engrish" names. Using those "Engrish" names is no better than using the actual Japanese names. I prefer just calling them "Attack of the Titans" and "Hero Academy".

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
It'll always mean the original definition to me.
Someone who brazenly praises all facets of Japan and see it as superior with either a rudimentary understanding of the country or an understanding based almost entirely in video games and cartoons.

Yeah that's how I take it.

People that go on about how superior any country is brush me the wrong way. Any place will have good and bad aspects, and not just one but a variety of cultures. Declaring a country as unilaterally better just screams of ignorance. Especially so when their whole exposure to that country comes from cartoons.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
The irony is that the names "Attack on Titan" and "My Hero Academia" are "Engrish" names. Using those "Engrish" names is no better than using the actual Japanese names. I prefer just calling them "Attack of the Titans" and "Hero Academy".

Attack on titan is a bad translation of the Japanese title and was actually intended to be read as 'the titan that attacks on (and on)' haha

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a degenerate weeb, but I ascended weeb status by actually learning Japanese (I did this before I even started watching anime). I'm not 100% fluent or work in a Japanese company, but all the media I consume is in Japanese pretty much other than the odd American show.

I would never put random Japanese words into an English sentence, if I was going to speak in Japanese I'd type in Japanese. I also have a big interest in Japanese history, geography and general culture, not just pop culture.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All of those are correct terms to be used lol People will use the first one they read/heard if it's easy to write.
All I'm saying is that, if you're a native English speaker living in the west, as in English is your first language, calling it by its Japanese name is just weird considering the official English name is in the freaking title/logo. Like, I get it for series that don't have the English name in the title like Demon Slayer or Quintessential Quintuplets, but MHA and AoT don't really apply here.

Ultimately, I'm just taking the piss, but I do find it kinda funny.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hey...

DBZ is for cool people who enjoy homo-erotic media and glam rock, okay.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

You're absolutely right about AoT, though it's part of its charm.

My Hero Academia actually does make sense though. Academia means "the life, community, or world of teachers, schools, and education." So the title is essentially "My Hero School Life".

Mar 18, 2019
You're absolutely right about AoT, though it's part of its charm.

My Hero Academia actually does make sense though. Academia means "the life, community, or world of teachers, schools, and education." So the title is essentially "My Hero School Life".
Fair enough. But it still sounds weird, because people don't usually talk like that in English. "Academia" is usually used in reference to university, rather than high school.

Oct 27, 2017
Rotherham, England
Genuinely interested where I fall...

Based on many years of reading Weeb forums, my Weeb warning signs. If 2 or more of these apply, you're probably a weeb.

Is Miku anime? I love rhythm games and after playing the Project Diva games I started to like Vocaloid in general which is why I have a Miku avatar...

You regularly watch more than one anime

I don't really watch anime at all.

You regularly read manga

Not regularly, but I have read Yotsuba for Japanese reading practice. If I weren't studying Japanese I probably wouldn't have read it at all.

90% of the video games you play are Japanese

I'd say more like 50%.

You insist on playing a video game with Japanese audio even when your native language dub is available

Depends on the quality of the dub. Ni No Kuni was far better in English, for example.

You collect traditional Japanese things

Not really. I have souvenirs that I bought from a trip to Japan but that's it.

You've attended an anime convention

Nope. But I would like to go to Hyper Japan in the UK.

You own anime themed clothing

Absolutely not.

You took Japanese as a foreign language in school

Not in school but I have been studying it for the past four years in my spare time.

You defend Japan in any discussion about WW2 or immigration

Absolutely not.

I should probably clarify why I'm studying Japanese too. A few years ago me and my wife were going to New Zealand and decided to spend a few days in Tokyo as a stop on the way. We both ended up loving it and want to see more of the country. So I started trying to learn the language as it will make things much easier when we do (although it will be a few years away now as we have kids). Most of the Japanese media I consume now is as a result of me learning the language. So I imagine how many people start learning the language to consume the media, I've kind of done in the opposite way around, I use the media to help me study the language. I listen to Japanese radio on my drive to/from work, for example. In reality, learning Japanese is kinda pointless for me because I'm getting on (I'm 36) and have zero plans to spend any significant amount of time in Japan. But what I learnt was that I really enjoy learning the language so whilst it may be pointless it's just become a hobby. Something I enjoy doing, even though I'm terrible at it.

Jun 10, 2018
Weebs are typically unhealthily obsessed with Japanese animation and view Japan/its people with a skewed lens of reality.

And DBZ can definitely be weeb. Does Jalen going Super Saiyan ring a bell?

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Person in a romantic relationship with 3 anime game characters.

10a.jpg

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I legit saw a guy walking around in public in one of those jizz on face lolicon shirts the other day.

But otherwise as long as you're not like that it's fine to be a weeaboo.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buddy, please don't equate "my feelings were hurt" with "generations of slavery, violence, and discrimination". That word is literally the most loaded/hateful word we have (in the west at least), and just because you self censored doesn't make it any less distasteful to throw it around like that.
To be fair they probably don't know how else to articulate themselves. Weeb is a pejorative, the other word isn't - it's a destructive word by design. Just because they're both venomous doesn't mean they should be clumsily compared and hopefully they learn from this.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Someone that likes anime, manga and japanese culture in general so much to the point they have abandoned their own native culture.

Simply watching anime or playing
JRPGs with the original japanese voices doesnt make you a weeaboo.

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
Someone who is obsessed with Japanese Culture, on that note is there a "weeaboo" term for Korean Music Fans?
I am literally surrounded by those fuckers in my every day life and it's fucking annoying
Anime Fans ain't got shit on them
At least with anime fans if you say you dont watch anime, they will just probably stop, saying you don't like KPop will get you hit with an instant "GEE" Video on the spot

Nov 17, 2017
I think it's a word that's lost meaning as people started using it to describe anyone who watches anime or reads manga.

I think initially it was more about extreme obsession and a defining point of one's identity being anime and Japan. Someone who would use random Japanese words and honorifics completely unprompted and eat, sleep and breath Japanese and otaku culture while not being Japanese.

It doesn't mean a person who owns an anime t-shirt or is an anime fan but that's what people use the word for nowadays.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Any and all. Embrace the weebiness. Let the weeb flow through you.

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Oh my god get over yourselves. Weeb is just a self-deprecating term to cover anyone who enjoys "japanese media" as a specific hobby. It doesn't have to be some toxic and unhinged level, stop trying to disqualify yourselves so that u can shit on other people lower on the "geek hierarchy"

Why don't you put all that energy you spend on cultivating your image away from toxic geek culture into actually helping steer the culture around media you consume to be more inclusive and less ignorant?

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
People who are native English speakers who refer to Attack on Titan as "Shingeki no Kyojin" or My Hero Academia as "Boku no Hero Academia."

Aka the absolute worst people.

Yup they fetishize the language. I remember in the Zelda dub thread they were using authenticity as an excuse for wanting to hear it in Japanese dub with English sub as some are doing in here but that changes real quick when you ask them if they played the Witcher 3 in Polish with subtitles. All of the sudden that's different and hearing it in English is acceptable.