BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Nintendoland is probably the best couch multiplayer game I have ever played and it's an experience that can't really be replicated on the switch (unless you have two of those I guess).

Oct 25, 2017
A free Wii included in the package. Pretty handy for playing all the lightgun shooters I just bought. I haven't used it this much since I was into Pokken almost 3 years ago.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- Nintendo Land is a fantastic party game and nothing on the Switch comes close.
- The GamePad was perfect for Mario Maker. Remains to be seen how Mario Maker 2 feels without it, but my expectation is it will be worse.
- Affordable Space Adventures is, unfortunately, impossible to port to other systems, and it's amazing.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
So I mean, yeah, not a lot as an entire package as a lot of its draws are individual and subjective even if observably high quality. As a "total package" the Wii U is forgettable as more titles get ported to the Switch and the Switch's library in of itself introduces more unique work. That being said, the Wii U still has some remarkable, isolated strengths we're not seeing on the Switch yet.
  1. The Wonderful 101, Kamiya and Platinum's most unique work, backed with an enormous budget from Nintendo. It's an outstanding milestone in Kamiya's career and the character action genre, and painfully underappreciated in commercial sales. Desperately needs a Switch port.
  2. Potent backwards compatibility via Wii software and hardware support alongside the robust virtual console. The quantity of retro gaming possible on the Wii U is very impressive, particularly for iconic retro titles. Hacking the Wii U opens up its backwards compatibility options even further.
  3. Nintendo Land is more robust than people give it credit for, namely for local co-op, and would be right at home on the Switch.
  4. Xenoblade Chronicles X has a strong fanbase.
  5. Super Mario 3D World has a strong fanbase.
  6. Pikmin 3 is an excellent title and original continuation of the franchise from GameCube, yet to see eventuated on the Switch.
  7. Stylus on GamePad made for very refined precision and control for games like Mario Marker, of which will put Mario Maker 2 under scrutiny.
  8. Wii Remote + IR bar support at least opened up opportunity for more precise and responsive pointer aiming, of which the Switch's gyro cannot compete with.
I don't think the Wii U is worth buying unless you can get it super fucking cheap and intend to hack it wide open, but yeah. Still a handful of things it did, namely with legacy titles, that surpass the Switch. And the unique titles yet to appear on Switch stand high, even if I'm convinced most of them will eventually be ported over.

Oct 27, 2017
It has quite a bit to offer actually, most of which has been posted by others here. Though the system was definitely a disappointment, when mine broke I found that I really wanted to get another one (which I did).

Personally, the game that put me over the edge was Ogre Battle 64 on the Virtual Console, but there are tons of games I still want to play.

I don't really understand people who claim that Wii U had nothing to offer. I'll probably be working on my Wii U backlog for years—assuming it doesn't all end up getting porting to Switch.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I can't imagine why anyone that already owns Wii U versions of games that end up on Switch would rebuy the Switch version unless portability is that much of a selling point, especially with them all being full price.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Another thought: Generally when stuff showed up on the WiiU it was usually as good as the versions on PS3 or 360 but on a system that was overall more power and heat-efficient. Like, one of the nicer features of the WiiU, I think, is that it shares the rather low hardware profile of the Wii in a lot of respects. I wouldn't bother leaving it on all the time, though.

Wish it could boot up a little faster (and I'd like them to skip having Warawara plaza out when I go to the home menu), though

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh
Xenoblade X
TMS
Pikmin 3
Wonderful 101
Wind Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
Paper Mario Color Splash

Better versions of every other (good) Wii U game exist on Switch. Xenoblade X is sufficiently different from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, so it's included.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
3D World is a great game and hopefully it gets a port at the midpoint between odyssey and the next mainline 3D Mario.

Xenoblade X is alright and should get a port, I guess

W101 should get a port, it could use the Switch bump

In general though I would say Wii BC is the most significant thing of note.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, due to the fact that developers can't assume players will be playing in portable mode they don't really use the Switch's touch screen all that much.

Also capacitive touch screens are less precise whereas a resistive touch screen and stylus like on the Wii U can allow for some really accurate more "hardcore" gameplay and editors like in Mario Maker.

Wii U also let you just use your old Wiimotes so getting together a bunch of controllers for multiplayer games (like 8 player Smash) was easier than on Switch where you're forced to buy expensive Joy-cons (which despite having more buttons than a Wiimote aren't great if you have hold them horizontally due to how small they are) or Pro controllers (with the exception of Smash Ultimate allowing you to use GameCube controllers).

Also, Miiverse, while now discontinued, was the most welcoming, least toxic online gaming service I've ever used.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well make a list of remaining Wii U exclusives, because that's a countdown list it seems.

Its three remaining "major" exclusives are Pikmin 3, Mario 3D World, and probably Color Splash, from an IP perspective.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't imagine why anyone that already owns Wii U versions of games that end up on Switch would rebuy the Switch version unless portability is that much of a selling point, especially with them all being full price.

I haven't double dipped on any Wii U ports yet, but 3D World would do it for me. Personally, part of the appeal would be getting that game digitally as well. I love the idea of just flipping my Switch on and scrolling to play it in the menu for a few levels or so. The Switch itself is also just much more pleasant to hold and play than the GamePad.

Portability is a bonus but it's still pretty rare my Switch leaves my room.

MrWonderworld

Sep 18, 2018
Now that Mario Maker 2 is coming including some 3D World stuff, Wii U doesn't offer anything significant anymore.

giraffereyn

Banned
Jan 20, 2019
An underrepresented perk is that every decision that made the Wii U unique had the added bonus of being awesome for visually impaired gamers. The gamepad was also a wumbo GBA and DS

Boshar

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Keep up those 'Devil's Third' mentions. It's a seriously good game and I miss the multiplayer mode.

The other mentioned greats
Affordable space adventures

Playing all your Wii games via hdmi. After a small hack with Nintendont playing all GameCube games via hdmi. Basicly, play every Nintendo game ever released on 1 console you can connect to a modern screen.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Wind Waker and (to a far lesser extent) Twilight Princess HD, Devil's Third (screw you, don't look at me like that) Pikmin 3 and Wii backwards compatibility.

Christ, if I didn't know any better I would think that some of you were on a crusade to have every Wii U console junked.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
I still keep our Wii U plugged in because:

-Half the games that are worth playing on the Switch, we already own and have played/cleared 3-6 years ago. That includes 101, Tropical Freeze, the Kinopio puzzle game, New Super Mario, Bayonetta 1+2, MK8, and even Breath of the Wild. This is not a knock against the Switch, as the other half of its library is shaping up very nicely. Odyssey was amazing. 1-2 Switch was solid. Splatoon 2, not so much (better experience on the Wii U w/the game pad plus free online). However, the Switch versions are not enhanced enough to merit a rebuy (with the exception of Smash Brothers perhaps).

-Joysound karaoke with the gamepad is just like going to a karaoke parlor here (Japan). Though I imagine this plus is largely lost on Western audiences.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who still owns a Wii U and hasn't bought a Switch because I'm not interested in ports or half hearted sequels, the Switch is a much better device in pretty much every way. The Wii U is absolute garbage with some great games.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I would want to play again is Nintendoland (which wouldn't work for obvious reasons).

Another Wii U bash-and-trash topic... URGH. It's rather tiresome. Apart from first-party titles which released at a cheaper point of entry than their (not always) enhanced Switch ports, I still feel that Super Mario 3D World is the best realisation of the Marioverse. One might suggest that it has the better versions of NSMBU and NSLU, Rayman Legends, and Lego City: Undercover (loading times aside), as well as the best version of Sonic & All-Stars Racing: Transformed. Then you have unique titles such as Affordable Space Adventures and Scram Kitty And His Buddy On Rails. All 3D LOZ titles are playable on it. It also has Wii Fit U, which may not matter to some on here, but I used to do yoga and Pilates every week, among other classes, and consider it to be a positive. I could list a lot more, but some have found their way to the Switch, while others would appear to be inevitable, if not mentioned on here already. I went the Wii U/3DS route only, and still use both in 2019. While I have access to a PS4 through family, I've never felt that I missed much elsewhere, and I've never once experienced a "game drought". I know that it's blasphemous in this community to say that the Wii U does anything good at all, let alone better than the Switch, but it does, in my opinion. The Wii U was actually the first Nintendo home console that I've owned since the SNES, and I consider it to be one of the all-time greats, when used in its fullest capacity. None of that is to say it's without flaws; I don't accept that it's "bad", because that's completely irreconcilable with my actual experience of the platform, one that I'm still able to enjoy today. Beyond the games, it had more going for it than some would care to recognise, and that's before getting to the fact that many millions of Switch owners are enjoying it right now, with all of those ports.

Asymmetric gameplay
Dual Screen support
Multiple Control Options
Netflix
Internet Browser
Wii Backwards Compatibility
Virtual Console
Better Pro Controller Battery Life, although it has no HD Rumble support.
Better online services, for free, no less.
Before it closed down, it had Miiverse.

I also feel that it was BS to see a host of Switch owners DEFENDING the loss of some of these features, claiming that it enables them to access their games more swiftly. While the Switch is awesome, it can be so much better. I won't ever get into the business of bashing and trashing the Wii U, then pretending that the Switch is perfect in the same breath, when it's far from it, and when Nintendo have set some bad precedents.