• Full BC With PS3

• Select titles similar to how MS does with 360

• Streaming through PSNow is all you're ever getting

• Other (explain in thread)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
lol could you imagine the backlash if they charged a fee to unlock backwards compatibility?! "Gamers" would go insane if they tried to charge for it.

Better to just never have it from a PR perspective imo.

That's not what I meant.

If you have it on disk it will just work. If you have it in your PSN account from buying it on PS3 PSN back in the day, you can download it again and it works. (no charge)

If you've never played it or owned it and want to, just buy it digitally.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Considering even PC emulation of PS3 software still seemingly kind of sucks I would seriously doubt Sony could get a purely software based solution running properly on PS5. They're probably pushing ahead with the intention of cutting all ties to everything pre-PS4.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What other games haven't see a remaster that would be worth playing on PS5?
If they just get some kind of backcompability in there they won't have to remaster, but Ico can't be played on PS4. The Ratchet & Clank games, Sly, Twisted Metal(LOVED the new one). It's all personal though wich games should be "remastered" or playable through a controlled form och backcompat.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Sony file patents where their hardware was capable in imitating the hardware architecture of older consoles? It would stand to reason that the PS5 contains this capability. They are probably going to drop this bombshell of 100% BC at E3 2020.

flyingman

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Considering even PC emulation of PS3 software still seemingly kind of sucks I would seriously doubt Sony could get a purely software based solution running properly on PS5. They're probably pushing ahead with the intention of cutting all ties to everything pre-PS4.
Yeah almost like Sony didnt create PS3 , oh wait i thought they were hacker homebrew group

Deleted member 3196

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS3 on PC emulation is with no documentation, however, and it's very impressive.

Meanwhile, Sony has all the information they need regarding how the PS3 ticks, so emulating it is more plausible.

If they're gonna migrate their PS3/2/1 library to the new Azure PS Now service, whenever it comes, then they will need working emulators for all those systems. If that's the case then porting it to PS5 is a possibility.

I think the reason they're only talking about PS4 backwards compatibility is because it's a dead cert and it's close enough to 100% that they can say with confidence that games will move forward. With pre-PS4 hardware it's probably done on a game-by-game basis that's reliant on it working both technically and in a business/licensing sense, so they don't want to announce it only to have players disappointed when certain games they bought just for this don't actually work.

The way I see it is when PS5 is closer to release they'll tell all, including what games will or won't work.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
Only streaming. The PS3 architecture is too different from the one that PS4, XB1 and PCs are using.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PCs can emulate PS3 with no documentation. PS5 can do it easily.
lmao at non believers.
Yeah, I'm baffled by people who perpetuate this myth that PS3 emulation is somehow impoossible to do for Sony. It may've even been possible on PS4 but we have no idea because Sony didn't try like MS did.

Only streaming. The PS3 architecture is too different from the one that PS4, XB1 and PCs are using.
The 360 architecture is too different from the one that PS4, XB1 and PCs are using.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't think the PS3 will ever get proper Emulation. At best, PS Now or streaming solutions.

However, as has been pointed out already in this thread multiple times .. a good number of the must-haves on the PS3 are already present on PS4 via remasters. And those games will continue living on with PS4 BC.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
I'll take just PS1/PS2/PS4 compatibility. The only thing I want released from last gen is the entire MGS collection, which will never happen.
Speaking of PS2 games, I don't know if that port of Ace Combat 5 was running on the PS4's PS2 emulator but if it was... I'd love to see that going forward with PS5.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PS3 on PC emulation is with no documentation, however, and it's very impressive.

Meanwhile, Sony has all the information they need regarding how the PS3 ticks, so emulating it is more plausible.

If they're gonna migrate their PS3/2/1 library to the new Azure PS Now service, whenever it comes, then they will need working emulators for all those systems. If that's the case then porting it to PS5 is a possibility.

I think the reason they're only talking about PS4 backwards compatibility is because it's a dead cert and it's close enough to 100% that they can say with confidence that games will move forward. With pre-PS4 hardware it's probably done on a game-by-game basis that's reliant on it working both technically and in a business/licensing sense, so they don't want to announce it only to have players disappointed when certain games they bought just for this don't actually work.

The way I see it is when PS5 is closer to release they'll tell all, including what games will or won't work.

I genuinely do hope you end up being correct, I do... but I just don't have a lot of faith in Sony's software department given how long it took seemingly simple OS features (Including some that were already on PS3) to be added to PS4.