• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I call those extra buttons:

• On PlayStation R1, R2, L1, and L2

• On Xbox: Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger

• On PlayStation: Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger

• On Xbox: R1, R2, L1 and L2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Exit Music

Nov 13, 2017
I call them all bumpers and triggers regardless of whether I'm using PS or Xbox controllers. I'm curious if this is common with Americans only.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Err, whatever they're labelled (R1, R2, L1, L2 on Playstation or... L, R, ZL, ZR on Nintendo (which is still the fucking dumbest thing)).

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
I tend to say shoulder and bumper interchangeably but in general I stick to that scheme instead of R1/L1/etc. I never use L/R/ZL/ZR though.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Same, they're bumpers/triggers to me regardless of platform.

The last time I told my roommate to press R1 she clicked the stick, we just call them bumpers.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I've never ONCE called any of the extra Xbox buttons by their name. I always say LT, RT, LB, RB.

To me, saying it opposite of that is like saying Left 2 or Right 1

Nov 27, 2017
Normally whatever they're labeled. I have used the word "trigger" before, but I honestly don't know if I've ever said "bumper" with regards to a controller. I've also never owned an Xbox, so that could be part of it.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
What about R1, Right Trigger, L1, Left Trigger on Playstation?
giphy.gif

Grew up on Nintendo, then X360...eventually PS3/4/5. Also still Nintendo. Voted for RB/RT/LB/LT on both since that's the closest and I have referred to them as bumper/shoulder

Rozart

Oct 28, 2017
R1, R2, L1, L2 etc. It's simple, intuitive and easy to remember. But I grew up with a PS1 so maybe that's why those terms come naturally to me.

Also yes, the Switch's ZR and ZL w/e are the worst.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I just use the RB/LB and RT/LT for the most part tbh. Then again, I am also very rarely describing buttons to press, which is probably why

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Always just called them L1/2 and R1/2. Anyone I talk to about games would know what button to press if I said press L2 even if we're talking about the Switch.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I call them as they're labled. So bumpers/triggers on Xbox and L/R1+L/R2 on Playstation. (edit: By "as they're labled" I mean, left/right bumper left/right trigger on Xbox... so not EXACTLY as they're labeled, lol)

I think I get confused every time when I think about Nintendo's "non-face" buttons, lol.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I get confused with the Switch's ZR and ZL. I sometimes wind up pressing L/R instead when a game prompts me to press those, or vice versa. Doesn't happen to me on the other two systems.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They're bumpers/shoulder buttons and triggers. Unless I'm teaching someone how to play then I'll use whatever the actual labeling is for that controller.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I interchange them depending on who I'm talking to. I'm also always sure to insert air quotes into my voice.

ThouIsARobber

Oct 30, 2017
Bumpers/triggers. At this point, they all have that trigger shape for the back one. Just makes more sense to call it what it physically is versus calling it L2.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The real question should be what do you call them on PC.

/Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger has finally won out.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
I call them bumpers and triggers.

I guess, in my mind, I call them by whatever they are actually labelled as, but the only reason I ever need to say them out loud is to explain things to a newbie, and in that case "ZR" is meaningless, but "right trigger" is a little more helpful.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
I say either or no matter the console. r1, right trigger, left bumper, l2. If on a nintendo system i might even throw a ZL or ZR in there.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Bumpers and triggers generally. To this day I mix them up if people just use 1, 2, or Z whatever on Switch. The former is also moderately more helpful for friends and family members who don't play games much.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
L1/L2/R1/R2 in any console, no only due to growing up with PlayStation consoles but it just makes sense in my head.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
R1, R2, L1, and L2 on all consoles tbh
Yep. except on the Switch because my mind for some reason can't process the ZR and ZL so it trips me up every time

Z on the gamecube was a shoulder button, so shouldn't the two shoulder buttons be the Z buttons and not the triggers?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I call them what the manufacturer calls them.

Except for Nintendo, their RZ and LZ names are dumb, Nintendo gets the Microsoft treatment.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
No one says "right bumper, left trigger"... it's RB, LB, RT, LT. I can use the PlayStation format as well, depending on what controller I'm using and who I'm talking to.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Whatever they're labelled as.
Uh what? They have clear labels for each button.

What the HELL is going on in this thread?
Suppose there was a new platform (Stadia, Luna, etc) that had the same controller form factor, but you hadn't seen the label on the buttons yet and you were trying to tell somebody to press the index finger buttons (literally happened to me recently).
What is the first name that pops in your head? That is what OP is asking.