• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 1, 2017
God Of War
Witcher 3
Overwatch
Bloodborne
Rainbow Six Siege

Maybe it isn't really fair to rate both Overwatch and R6 as they're strictly multiplayer games only but these 2 games did gave me tons of fun. Unfortunately for some reasons I don't play Overwatch anymore but am still playing R6 on a weekly basis.

As for GOW, Witcher 3 and Bloodborne: These 3 games are perfect in gameplay and story. Not so much of a story for Bloodborne but the gameplay and atmosphere makes up the lack of story, furthermore it's probably one of the only few games where by fighting a boss would make me have an adrenaline rush which is so god damn exciting.

Would personally call these games my Games of the Generation. Not to mention there's still a few GotG quality games that's not released yet like The Last of Us 2. Exciting times for a gamer!

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Witcher 3
Persona 5
NieR automata
MGS5
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne
Breath of the Wild

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 3 -- When you talk about base content plus the Hot Wheels expansion, this is possibly the greatest racing game of all time.
Yeah it's fantastic and has an insane amount of content, I had an idea that I should 100% it before FH4 comes out but quickly ended those plans when I saw the achievements list and saw how much there was left to do :P It's on my top 10 best game of all time list. FH4 has seriously big shoes to fill.

Gonzalo

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a generous 10/10er so even games with flaws get the top rating from me if they are strong enough in other areas:

MGS V
Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Dragon Age Inq
Horizon ZD

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian and The Witcher 3 surely. The Talos Principle too if I'm honest. As puzzle games go I love it just as much as the Portal games.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The defining multiplayer game this gen is actually R6 Siege, but...

The only 10/10 I would give this gen (so far) is Divinity Original Sin 2.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
The Witcher 3
Rainbow Six: Siege

DOTA 2? I know it's a PC game and they don't have generations there, but it came out of beta the same year the PS4 got released...

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The Witness: a masterpiece in game design. I wish I could erase everything I know about this game and restart from scratch. In my top 5 for best games of all time.
The Witness - an amazing and flawless puzzle game. My experience playing through The Witness is just unlike anything I've experienced playing any other game, just a phenomenal experience from top to bottom.
This guy gets it.

The Witness. I was simply blown away by the game, how everything in it is crafted with care and ingenuity. It's fascinating and probably my favorite game ever.
You too.

INSIDE: Inside is an exercise in restraint. There are mechanics that other games would milk 20 puzzles out of, but Playdead moves on after a few. It shows how needlessly padded and stretched out other games are. The result is a perfectly paced game that can and should be finished in one sitting.
The Last Guardian: The hours of buildup lead to a finale that is just unforgettable and deeply moving. My favorite video game ending since The Last of Us.
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze: one of the best 2D platformers with an amazing soundtrack.
Hollow Knight: about the size of 3 metroidvanias, but surprisingly the adventure never gets stale or repetitive.
Undertale: just a very smart take on rpg conventions with memorable characters and soundtrack.

C++

Banned
Aug 2, 2018
Overwatch 9/10
Witcher 3 9/10
MGSV 9/10 -> this shit could have been 10
Mortal Kombat X -> 9 /10
God of War 10 /10
Uncharted 4 10 / 10 (i'm biased)
Arkham Knight 9/10

Modi

Oct 29, 2017
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Game of the Generation) .......... 10
The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (RPG of the year) ............. 9.8
Bloodborne ........................................................................... 9.5
God of War ............................................................................ 9.4

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
Perfect video games doesn't exist but here are my favorite games this gen (in order) :
Octopath Traveler
The Legend of Zelda : Breath of the Wild
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Persona 5
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Mario + Rabbids : Kingdom Battle

Out of these, I think Octopath, Zelda BotW and DKCTF are the 3 that would deserve a 10/10 more objectively.

TheBuschMan94

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Personally, Pubg and bloodborne. This gen has largely disappointed. Either games are so big to the point its nauseating, ala witcher 3 or they're so linear all rng is gone. Last gen was brilliant, this gen has been largely disappointing besides a game or two. Stop imitating movies and make GAMES.

Jun 4, 2018
FFXV and Resident Evil HD Remaster (new control scheme was a huge addition to the original REmake). Also, now that NieR has stopped crashing on me and I can actually make some progress post-Route A, it's working its way into the conversation. Monster Hunter: World is making a case for itself by being, ironically enough, the true successor to Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker.

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 is right there, probably like a 9.9 for me. Playing through it is like living out a childhood dream. There are a ton of things that can be improved upon in Xenoverse 3, but given how well they're supporting XV2, that may be a ways off, and while it is, I'll continue to have a blast with the second entry in the overwhelmingly-successful Xenoverse series.

Bloodborne and MGSV are games I hold in high regard, but miss the mark. Not a fan of the boss designs in Bloodborne, by and large. Very fun game to play, though. MGSV is a game I respect more as time passes, and new revelations are discovered regarding story details, but it's also a game I see as something of a missed opportunity whenever portions of original gameplay ideas show up in the form of fan mods.

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Hollow Knight

Those are probably my only 10/10s. Quite a few others that are 9.5+, including BotW, Darkest Dungeon, MH World, and Dead Cells.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Closest for me is BotW.

Didn't realize how good it was until i played more recent games. Also was great to see how everyone else was playing this entry. Completely different experience.

It put everything into perspective for me.

The freedom of choice is why I really appreciate BotW, everything else compliments it

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
After thinking a bit about the game, I have to say that The Witcher 3 is also a 10/10. It's my GOTG together with Bloodborne. I'm currently playing BOTW and I'm loving it. It's a potential 10.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Subnautica
Witcher 3
God of War
Horizon
Yakuza 0

9.9/10:
Nier Automata (a tad boring on the eyes, repetitive and boring side quests but what a ride...)
Bloodborne, incredible experience probably my best this gen but held back by a few questionable game design choices and very weird pacing and level design and difficulty spikes in the first hours (corrected in Dark Souls 3)
Persona 5 insane game but drags on for too long with far too long and conculted late dungeons and shitty rushed pacing by the last portion.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
1. Witcher 3
2. Yakuza 0
3. Bloodborne

Indie wise

1. Salt and Sanctuary
2. Hollow Knight
3. Dead Cells

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Only 10/10 for me so far is Titanfall 1, I never had so much fun in a multiplayer game and the maps were all flawless.
I guess the next 10 will be Red Dead 2, the first one was an easy 10 for me already.

I got a few 9.5 games though: Ori, Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted 4, Cuphead and MGSV.

Last edited:

centauroalfa

Banned
Aug 12, 2018
riot de janeiro
BotW.

Or is it next gen?

Also Dead Cells, yeah.

Bloodborne is a piece of shit. And yes, I have finished Demons Souls, so not an amateur here.

PS: God of War (great but could have shown more instead of milking through DLCs), Uncharted 4 (more of the same with epic boss Battle) Titanfall 2 (cliche plot with mind bending time travel), Doom (I hate alien demons and I hated not having PC graphics with a standard PS4) and Super Mario Odissey are 9.5 for me.

No other Mario will beat Galaxy.

And totally agree its been a weak gen.

Last edited:

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Witcher 3 + DLCs, without a doubt.

And yes, the gameplay is great too. I'm f***ing tired of this loud minority which keeps saying that Witcher 3's gameplay is "shitty" or "awful" (another one of these threads has just cropped up). I get it, nothing can be to everyone's liking, but saying that W3's gameplay is "objectively bad" and that it "just gets a pass" is completely stupid, in my opinion. I guess that most of these people either for some reason expected Witcher 3 to play exactly like Soulsborne games and when it didn't were extremely disappointed, or just didn't try to play Witcher 3 on higher difficulty settings using the whole available range of abilities.
Sorry, had to vent off my frustration with these people.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It's been a weak gen. Lots of hype followed by an inevitable let down for almost all big games.

Assuming we're considering 3DS and Wii U part of this gen, I'd say Picross 3D Round 2 and Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze are the only more or less perfect games. Honorable mention to Bravely series, Hitman and Yakuza 0. I dunno. Every game disappoints these days.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
The Witness is 10/10 for its exhilarating secrets, challenging puzzles and beautiful world that unify into a wonderfully-designed whole.

oliverandm

Nov 13, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
gameinformer-cover-horizon-zero-dawn-guerrilla.jpg

Horizon was a perfect game to me. Animations can be rough, and the combat certainly requires some adaptation, seeing as you're supposed to act as a hunter! Using the entire arsenal makes for a great experience - some still argue it's sloppy, but they usually question the effeciency of the melee aspect of combat, so I refuse to take their critique to ear haha.

The premise of the story was interesting, the world was damn original, and it set everything up for a larger universe and a more importantly: a sequel.

Loved it!

jordannhowe

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it would have to be Bloodborne, Nier: Automata and Breath of the Wild.

Bloodborne to me just had unparalleled atmosphere and I loved the faster take on the Souls gameplay. Also, I'm just a huge fan of Lovecraftian cosmic horror.

Nier: Automata was my first Yoko Taro game. I knew that it meant the game was going to be out there but there are few stories in gaming that resonated with me on such an intimate level. Mix that with some Platinum games combat and you essentially have a near perfect gaming experience in my eyes.

For Breath if the Wild, I've always been a big Zelda fan since I was a kid. I remember the first time playing A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the first time. There was a 'magic' to each of those games that I never thought I'd experience again, even in future Zelda games but man, did Breath of the Wild catch me off guard. The sense of wonderment that I felt coming over each of the rollling hills and mountains was something else. The dungeons weren't that strong, and the stories of the Champions were somewhat interesting if relatively unexplored, but god damn it if that game didn't enrapture me with its constantly interesting open world and gameplay systems. Alongside other games that have been mentioned like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, I believe that Breath of the Wild is one of the most important and significant video games released in the past ten years.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'm not in the habit of scoring games but when I think of the games I played and finished but kept playing them or replaying them - The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Dishonored 2, Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+, Civilization 6 Rise and Fall. Nier Automata gets in too but I had no save game left to keep playing but I'll replay that game in the future. Probably blanking on some others.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild.

The Witcher 3, God of War, Mario Odyssey, and Hollow Knight come pretty close, as well.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild, Hollow Knight, Celeste.

On the fence about Bloodborne, Mario Odyssey and God of War being personal 10s. I really enjoyed them all, but I'm not sure if they had the same effect on me as the other 4 games. They are maybe like 9.7s lol

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
10/10s:
  • Bloodborne (PS4)
  • Breath of the Wild (Switch)
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
  • NieR: Automata (PC)
  • The Witcher 3 (PC)
Close, but not quite there:
  • Hollow Knight (PC)
  • Final Fantasy XV (PC)
  • Octopath Traveler (Switch)
  • Persona 5 (PS4)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
This generation has been amazing. I got back into Nintendo games lately, and was really surprised by their quality.