• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cjn83

Banned
Jul 25, 2018
None I think? But the best I've played have been:

Witcher 3: What really blew me away with this wasn't so much the story, but rather the characters. I'm not the hardcore gamer others are on this forum, but I for my part at least have never seen writing at this level in a game before. It almost felt more like an interactive play than a game at times. Either way I thought it was an excellent RPG overall as well, which sets a new standard and complements the TES series wonderfully - but I don't think it was a homerun. For me the primary minuses were the lack of first person view and a somewhat lackluster world (minus Novigrad), but crafting and brewing for instance also didn't feel particularly well thought through. And then there's the lighting, and the ridiculously bad wind animations which kept telling me I was in a doll house kind of world rather than a compelling fantasy setting. With this fixed and 1st person view enabled, it would have pulled me in in a whole other way - and this is important for me in RPGs, which I want to get lost in.

Ori and the Blind Forest: How beautiful isn't this? With just a few strokes you've bonded both with the game and the character, and once you're set loose I haven't had this much fun with a 2D game since SNES and Megadrive. It's just wonderfully atmospheric as well, and really has its own identity. This notwithstanding there's only so far this genre can take you, me thinks, but in terms of excelling in what it set out to do this is the game closest to a 10/10 on my list.

Dirt Rally: An outstanding racing sim. Nuff said! I think they could have done more with it however - including graphically. From what I've heard it looks like it won't happen, but here's hoping for a sequel with a larger budget and longer dev time.

DOOM: One of my all time favourite games revived. It's all there - except the map building. Carmack is rightfully the hero of the earlier games, but playing Doom 2016 earned me a new appreciation for John Romero. 1 and 2 simply wouldn't have been the same without him - and this wasn't, either. That didn't stop it from being darn fun anyway though, and it's fantastic to see the series on track again.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
MGSV, Bloodborne, Wipeout 2048, Lumines: Supernova, Gravity Rush, Gravity Rush 2, Last Guardian, Driveclub, Street Fighter V, Uncharted 4, Wipeout Omega Collection, Mario, Zelda, Horizon, God of War, Resident Evil VII, Monster Hunter World, Velocity 2X, Sonic Mania, Fight 'N Rage, Super Hydorah, Cursed Castilla EX.

Last edited:

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
God of War

Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn are close. I'm sure I'm forgetting other ones too.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
A 10/10 is hard for me to label until it's been a few years. I only know a few 10s from the PS3/360/Wii era.

Right now? I loved these, even if they aren't exactly 10s.

Rocket League
Superhot VR
God of War
Inside
Doom
Uncharted 4
Maybe Horizon
Resident Evil 7 (until the last hour or so)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a list of games I ranked highest on my yearly lists (starting in 2015 since that's when I first got current-gen systems), so these are what I'd consider the best of the best of what I've played:

Bloodborne - Got me obsessed with Souls games. While it's not the most replayable one for me, its world, music, and bosses were unforgettable.
Devil Daggers - The perfect distillation of core FPS mechanics. Pretty much the equivalent of Super Hexagon in a different form.
The Last Guardian - Despite my frustrations with this, it remains one of the most memorable and special experiences.
Stardew Valley - So many hours, so many bottles of wine sold. LOL Absolutely fell in love with this game, as did so many of my friends. Also own lots of SDV merch.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 300+ hours between Wii U and Switch, and still play this from time to time. My happy place, it's a world always revealing something new.
Hollow Knight - Still can't believe such a tiny team produced a game this good, deep, challenging, layered, and atmospheric. Can't wait to see what this team comes up with next.
The Witness - A masterclass in synergistic puzzle and environmental design.

There are quite a few others I'd rank just below these, but I refer to these games often when the discussion of "best of genre" topics come up.

Mekes

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Bloodborne only, so far. I've enjoyed a lot more games but Bloodborne stands out on its own for me.

Deleted member 17630

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch, Rocket League, Doom 2016, Titanfall 2, and Cuphead are either 10s or pretty damn close for non-Nintendo games.

Odyssey might be the best game I've ever played.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Hm..

This is a loaded question but I'll say the following were basically perfect experiences for me:

Bloodborne- I gravitated towards this game immediately. I was all about it. I had all the paths memorized, I knew the formula. I was just all in. I had about 60 hours in a week and loved it all. It will probably be my favorite game this generation.

Breath of the Wild- This game was super clever to me. I thought Nintendo really thought of all then cases and scenarios. It was really impressive. It has its flaws but it was an amazing experience.

I think that might be it. I had many great experiences but these 2 stand out especially.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest. Just a beautiful game and super fun.

Forza Horizon 3. Don't even like racing games but there's just something about this series. Can't wait for 4.

Until Dawn. I love horror movies and its way better than any other story focused game.