Splatbang

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I've recently finished Six of Crows and I haven't had such a problem finishing a book in ages. I've read before that the author usually does young adult stuff but I figured I wouldn't care because I usually don't mind YA stuff. But holy shit, this was ridiculous. It's like he wrote the characters as years older and at the last minute decided to age them down. Everyone talks about stuff that happend like it was decades ago and a couple lines further on you find out that shit happened like a year ago. The other guy is talked about like he's some kind of hardened soldier, really experienced, etc. etc. and then you find out he's like a year or two older than the other guys.

23437156.jpg

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've recently finished Six of Crows and I haven't had such a problem finishing a book in ages. I've read before that the author usually does young adult stuff but I figured I wouldn't care because I usually don't mind YA stuff. But holy shit, this was ridiculous. It's like he wrote the characters as years older and at the last minute decided to age them down. Everyone talks about stuff that happend like it was decades ago and a couple lines further on you find out that shit happened like a year ago. The other guy is talked about like he's some kind of hardened soldier, really experienced, etc. etc. and then you find out he's like a year or two older than the other guys.

23437156.jpg
Seems like she's been playing too many JRPGs.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I'm totally not trying to yuck anyone's yum here. I'm a huge King fan (I even visited Bangor just to see the dudes pad), but I finished this up a month or so ago and goddamn. It was possibly my least favorite novel of his. It's just so, so unnecessarily long. Scene after scene of characters pitting belief vs disbelief at one another while eating food. And the cantaloupe metaphor, my lord. That, and the one dudes cowlick hair are some of the only signs of identity for characters in a book that had hundreds of pages to expand them out - something King has managed in a dozen other novels. Ahh. Anyway, rant over.

'yuck anyone's yum' that's a new one and it's gold. I went very enthusiastically into The Outsider miniseries - Richard Price, a stellar cast, etc. What a complete waste of time. At least everyone got a paycheck out of it, I guess.

Oct 30, 2017
About two thirds through Priest of Bones

51ZOnxpsqHL.jpg

It's fun. It's quick. The chapters are short (which I love). It's essentially "Peaky Blinders but with swords and magic". I like how small and contained it feels and that you don't get bombarded with names of cities and countries. You get enough of that in most other fantasy novels.

I've been able to snatch up some highly rated ebooks for $1 each over the last couple of weeks and I'm excited to do more reading again, now that the sun and warmth outside is back.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami. Murakami again weaves incredibly intriguing mystery with his usual gripping style and it was page turner and in the end it's a big meh.

Main gripe was that Tsukuru's re-unions with his friends weren't all that interesting nor felt natural in anyway. I wish Murakami would have wrote more about the friends at their adulthood. Now each friend segment felt fairly flat, except for maybe Eri. Also, no pay-off in usual Murakami style, but I guess you know it's gonna be the case if you are Murakami fan.

edit. And had this been my first time at the rodeo I think I would have loved this book. But now it just felt bit disappointing.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
38531457._SY475_.jpg

Finished Agent of Change, supposedly the first book(or ninth?) in the Liaden Universe. This surprised me a lot. The first half of it seemed like a sci-fi action romp where the prose was pretty good and the world building was interesting. I was kind of going stail on it but the second half came around and it became much more character focused and became a little more about the different races and cultures while kind of closing up the somewhat small plotlines. I would still say it wasn't very good as a stand alone book, as there was really not much of a plot. You were more just falling in to a story of two characters running in to each other in the midst of both their stories and where it goes from there. I really like the potential of this though and it makes me really curious to see how the writing grows from here.

33230889._SY475_.jpg

I'm nearing the end of The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter, and this has surprised me for much different reasons. This book mostly feels like it doesn't know which story it wants to tell. The story starts off with like a 70 page prologue which sparks off it's own story, then drops you in to the story like 30 years later where another story sparks off, but then the majority of the rest of the book is more about two sisters and their rough relationship. I've liked it enough, I've more just disappointed the two big mysteries or stories haven't been more of the focus?

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I haven't read anything meaningful since I went back to school last summer. I found tv more passive and just plain easier when all you want is to relax for an hour a night. Now I'm spending way too many hours at home vapidly browsing youtube and trying to find something, anything on tv subscription services. So here we are! If you've read something remarkable recently, I'm all ears. Genre or style doesn't matter, if you think highly of something pass it on. I know there's a new William Gibson book and a story collection from Ted Chiang. I tried the new(now not so new?) Neal Stephenson book, didn't stick.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished:

images

which was quite interesting, particularly having taught a whole unit on whether the Western idea of meditation is pretty much pointless. It's basically the idea that mindfulness, although useful, is basically a pancea to make us slaves to capitalism - just accepting of the present moment instead of actually combating the problems that cause stress - inequality, instituionalised sexism and racism, climate change. Also comments on how the actual neuroscience behind mindfulness is actually not worth the being called science and that mindfulness tries to have its cake and eat it by using the trappings of religion to seem esoteric but then wants to be non-religious so it can be marketed better in the West. Good book but stronger on the sections regarding how mindfulness doesn't help fix any problems unless we tie it to ethics as well.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Just finished second book in the Ender's Saga, Speaker for the Dead. My expectations weren't that high considering I didn't care that much for Ender's Game. For me this book surpassed Ender's Game on every level. I was surprised how different this book was in it's style and all for better. Enjoyed the book immensely, I think I have to check out more books in the saga, given that seems like there isn't much love for many of the books that came after first two.

The concept of Speakr for the Dead would make interesting anthology tv series.

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
Finished The Goblin Emperor.

A nice, chilled read and another nice change of pace from the usual fantasy I read.

Now onto:
the-lord-of-the-rings-1.jpg

Must be the 20th time I've read it but it's my all time favourite

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Circe by Madeline Miller

Excellent book. Read it as part of an assignment. Really beautiful language used by the writer.

tadale

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Popping into this thread for the first time. I read a lot but I've really kicked into overdrive during social distancing - about a book every couple of days or so. I got a good deal on a Kindle Oasis before everything locked down and that's turned into my preferred way to read.

About to wrap up The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead. I read his novel The Underground Railroad last year and really loved it, though of course, it was harrowing, tense, and sad. This book draws out those same feelings but it is much more of an enjoyable read - almost has some "Stand by Me" sensibilities in its adolescent camaraderie. I know that it predictably ends on a tragic note. It's five stars for sure, a short read, and is currently like $4 on the kindle store.

I also recently read:

1. American Prison - Full-length work expanding on a Mother Jones story from a few years ago about a writer who went undercover as a guard at a for-profit prison.
  2. Little First Everywhere - Most people know this, but I liked it much better than I expected I would.
  3. Middlesex - Pulitzer novel from back in 2002 that somehow I never got around to reading. Again, even better than I anticipated.

Oct 25, 2017
Near the beginning of this year, I started Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy (on audiobook, shout out to Michael Kramer who did a terrific job) and now I've finally finished the last book. Let me tell you, those were some fun books. I get why people are like "If you like anime you'll like this trilogy" cause this trilogy is pretty anime. Very big on cool action set pieces and just general style over substance stuff. I think the first book is the best but figured I'd give a quick review of all three.

Kelsier is literally the coolest. Allomancy is the coolest. Vin taking on the Lord Ruler is so cool. Everything in this book is so freaking cool!

This is so slow. Why is this book so slow. Where's all the great world-building? Fun characters? Who actually thought it was a good idea to put Elend on the thrown? I like the marry Poppins kingmaking thing going on with him. Oh wait Elend is cool now, that's cool. Oh wait Vin is finally doing things, that's cool. Wait, why did the nice spirit at the end scream "I"M FREEEEEEEEEE!".......

oh thank god this book knows how to move. Oh snap Spook is now cool! Really cool! Go Spook! For a book where they fight a freed god of destruction, there's a lot of human squabblings. Also OH SHIT! HEMOLERGY MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! THE EARING MAKES SENSE! THE MISTS MAKES SENSE! QUESTIONS I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD ARE BEING ANSWERED AND I LOVE IT. Also that is one hell of a sad visual for an ending.

Anyway I really enjoyed the trilogy but it super does not change my general stance on trilogies. I do not like series in general and while there was a lot of cool stuff in the later books, the first one was by far the strongest book, the strongest characters, and just my favorite time in general.

Also thought it would be fun to list my top ten moment from the series

10. Elend reading books at Vin's table -- The Elend the series begins with and the Elend the series ends with are basically two different characters. And I loved the Elend at the beginning. He was such a shit but he added some fun romantic shenanigans that I loved even though the love plot is the most forced thing in the world. Just the image of Elend unwittingly causing Havok to their plans by being a weirdo was so much fun. There's so many elements that made it work; his sheer disregard for ball customs, Vin's annoyance/attraction to him being a shit, and Sazed's constant flabbergast at Elend's audacity. I wasn't the biggest fan of how this romance plot line ended up, but I'll be damned if I didn't have a lot of fun at the start.

9. The side narrator of The Hero of Ages -- So I haven't talked much about it, but each book has side narration to explain some background details and add mystery, and they were pretty great. Added a lot to the books even though they were just a framing device. Anyways, the side narration in The Hero of Ages is hands down the best. It begins by explaining why the sun is red, a detail I had no interests in, but really adds weight to the power the Lord Ruler welded. From there, it answers so many questions I didn't even know I had and it was such a great way too give a sense of finality to the series.

8. Elend confronting the colas camps before he had any mistborn powers -- This was the point I really turned around on Elend as a character. I was enjoying the king stuff, but he was still that dorky kid reading books to me. Him going into hands down the most dangerous place in the book, and standing up to the collas was so fucking cool. Especially in the end when he learns the secret of how they're being controlled by killing one of them and capping it off with the explanation of "He ate my horse." I was basically screaming when it happened, it was so good.

7. Kelsier's 4 more moment -- I adore Kelsier and the moment he had to watch from the rooftops as ska were execute, and he could do nothing to help them. It acts as both a rallying cry to his allies and the readers while also giving us our first glimpse at the Lord Ruler. This is just such a powerful moment and Michael Kramer's voice work fucking elevated it.

6. Kelsier storming a keep and going against a bunch of Haze Killers -- This is a really fun early moment that sets up so much even if you don't fully understand what's happening. The action is clear enough that you can follow along, but you still don't know the magic system so it poses a lot of great questions to keep hooked on the book. Also it was the moment I realized how good the names in The Final Empire were. Haze Killer is such a cool ass term, I love it and wish we got more from them in the trilogy.

5. Vin Versus all the inquisitors -- Sure she got out of it with the power of the MacGuffin that is the mist, but it was such a cool fight and even before the mists came in to help, she was doing waaaaay better than anyone had a right to do. Plus it ends strong with the revelation her hearing was a hemolergic spike and was the reason the mists weren't coming to help her this entire time. Buut when they did, holy shit she wrecked them so hard, destroying everything and eventually just becoming a god herself. It was great!

4. Vin versus the Lord Ruler -- Lord Ruler in the first book is a great antagonist. He was intimidating, insanely powerful, mysterious as fuck. So when Vin finally faced off against him with the help of Marsh, it was a mix of "How the fuck is she going to win?" and "How is this book going to end?" I was sure it would end with her losing and them having to flee or something, because I just didn't think she'd be able to win! But she did cause she's a badass. Also the McGuffin called the mists. But in this fight you get so many mini cool moments, the reveal of Marsh killing the inquisitors (and also revealing how to kill them), who the Lord Ruler really was and what happened at the Well of Ascension so long ago, the fact he's a pharochemist who is also an allomancer. It was just so fucking good! Such a hype way to finish off the book!

3. Vin learning from the masters -- This is actually a bunch of moments, but they all more or less went the same way and I love them for the same reason. These are such great world-building moments, expanding on interesting characters as they explain the intricacies of their allomancy and their own philosophies on life. This is some of the best world-building I've ever read, and it helped me feel smart when certain revelations happened later on in the book.

2. Finding Vin and Elend in the field at the end -- When they all find the two of them dead but holding hands, I was basically sobbing it was so sad, and only made worse when they find the picture of the flower with them as you kind of realize what happened. It was such a powerful moment that will stick with me and isn't that what a good ending is supposed to do?

1. Kelsier fighting (and beating) an inquisitor -- This is the hypest fight in the series. Steel inquisitors were a huge threat in the first book, seemingly unbeatable, and Kelsier fucking won! It was a really hard fight, but he narrowly beat it while also talking smack. It was awesome and kind of the epitome of why I love Kelsier's character. It also made for an excellent final moment, closing out the most fun character in the whole series. When I think about The Final Empire, I think about Kelsier and how cool he was. And this was the top of the cool moments for me.

Bazza

Oct 27, 2017
Near the beginning of this year, I started Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy (on audiobook, shout out to Michael Kramer who did a terrific job) and now I've finally finished the last book. Let me tell you, those were some fun books. I get why people are like "If you like anime you'll like this trilogy" cause this trilogy is pretty anime. Very big on cool action set pieces and just general style over substance stuff. I think the first book is the best but figured I'd give a quick review of all three.

Kelsier is literally the coolest. Allomancy is the coolest. Vin taking on the Lord Ruler is so cool. Everything in this book is so freaking cool!

This is so slow. Why is this book so slow. Where's all the great world-building? Fun characters? Who actually thought it was a good idea to put Elend on the thrown? I like the marry Poppins kingmaking thing going on with him. Oh wait Elend is cool now, that's cool. Oh wait Vin is finally doing things, that's cool. Wait, why did the nice spirit at the end scream "I"M FREEEEEEEEEE!".......

oh thank god this book knows how to move. Oh snap Spook is now cool! Really cool! Go Spook! For a book where they fight a freed god of destruction, there's a lot of human squabblings. Also OH SHIT! HEMOLERGY MAKES SO MUCH SENSE! THE EARING MAKES SENSE! THE MISTS MAKES SENSE! QUESTIONS I DIDN'T KNOW I HAD ARE BEING ANSWERED AND I LOVE IT. Also that is one hell of a sad visual for an ending.

Anyway I really enjoyed the trilogy but it super does not change my general stance on trilogies. I do not like series in general and while there was a lot of cool stuff in the later books, the first one was by far the strongest book, the strongest characters, and just my favorite time in general.

Also thought it would be fun to list my top ten moment from the series

10. Elend reading books at Vin's table -- The Elend the series begins with and the Elend the series ends with are basically two different characters. And I loved the Elend at the beginning. He was such a shit but he added some fun romantic shenanigans that I loved even though the love plot is the most forced thing in the world. Just the image of Elend unwittingly causing Havok to their plans by being a weirdo was so much fun. There's so many elements that made it work; his sheer disregard for ball customs, Vin's annoyance/attraction to him being a shit, and Sazed's constant flabbergast at Elend's audacity. I wasn't the biggest fan of how this romance plot line ended up, but I'll be damned if I didn't have a lot of fun at the start.

9. The side narrator of The Hero of Ages -- So I haven't talked much about it, but each book has side narration to explain some background details and add mystery, and they were pretty great. Added a lot to the books even though they were just a framing device. Anyways, the side narration in The Hero of Ages is hands down the best. It begins by explaining why the sun is red, a detail I had no interests in, but really adds weight to the power the Lord Ruler welded. From there, it answers so many questions I didn't even know I had and it was such a great way too give a sense of finality to the series.

8. Elend confronting the colas camps before he had any mistborn powers -- This was the point I really turned around on Elend as a character. I was enjoying the king stuff, but he was still that dorky kid reading books to me. Him going into hands down the most dangerous place in the book, and standing up to the collas was so fucking cool. Especially in the end when he learns the secret of how they're being controlled by killing one of them and capping it off with the explanation of "He ate my horse." I was basically screaming when it happened, it was so good.

7. Kelsier's 4 more moment -- I adore Kelsier and the moment he had to watch from the rooftops as ska were execute, and he could do nothing to help them. It acts as both a rallying cry to his allies and the readers while also giving us our first glimpse at the Lord Ruler. This is just such a powerful moment and Michael Kramer's voice work fucking elevated it.

6. Kelsier storming a keep and going against a bunch of Haze Killers -- This is a really fun early moment that sets up so much even if you don't fully understand what's happening. The action is clear enough that you can follow along, but you still don't know the magic system so it poses a lot of great questions to keep hooked on the book. Also it was the moment I realized how good the names in The Final Empire were. Haze Killer is such a cool ass term, I love it and wish we got more from them in the trilogy.

5. Vin Versus all the inquisitors -- Sure she got out of it with the power of the MacGuffin that is the mist, but it was such a cool fight and even before the mists came in to help, she was doing waaaaay better than anyone had a right to do. Plus it ends strong with the revelation her hearing was a hemolergic spike and was the reason the mists weren't coming to help her this entire time. Buut when they did, holy shit she wrecked them so hard, destroying everything and eventually just becoming a god herself. It was great!

4. Vin versus the Lord Ruler -- Lord Ruler in the first book is a great antagonist. He was intimidating, insanely powerful, mysterious as fuck. So when Vin finally faced off against him with the help of Marsh, it was a mix of "How the fuck is she going to win?" and "How is this book going to end?" I was sure it would end with her losing and them having to flee or something, because I just didn't think she'd be able to win! But she did cause she's a badass. Also the McGuffin called the mists. But in this fight you get so many mini cool moments, the reveal of Marsh killing the inquisitors (and also revealing how to kill them), who the Lord Ruler really was and what happened at the Well of Ascension so long ago, the fact he's a pharochemist who is also an allomancer. It was just so fucking good! Such a hype way to finish off the book!

3. Vin learning from the masters -- This is actually a bunch of moments, but they all more or less went the same way and I love them for the same reason. These are such great world-building moments, expanding on interesting characters as they explain the intricacies of their allomancy and their own philosophies on life. This is some of the best world-building I've ever read, and it helped me feel smart when certain revelations happened later on in the book.

2. Finding Vin and Elend in the field at the end -- When they all find the two of them dead but holding hands, I was basically sobbing it was so sad, and only made worse when they find the picture of the flower with them as you kind of realize what happened. It was such a powerful moment that will stick with me and isn't that what a good ending is supposed to do?

1. Kelsier fighting (and beating) an inquisitor -- This is the hypest fight in the series. Steel inquisitors were a huge threat in the first book, seemingly unbeatable, and Kelsier fucking won! It was a really hard fight, but he narrowly beat it while also talking smack. It was awesome and kind of the epitome of why I love Kelsier's character. It also made for an excellent final moment, closing out the most fun character in the whole series. When I think about The Final Empire, I think about Kelsier and how cool he was. And this was the top of the cool moments for me.

If you haven't done so reading Secret History is a must, although it does have a few spoilers for The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning if you are not going to read those then you can jump right in, but looking at your post I think you might enjoy Secret History quite a bit if you read the next trilogy first (actually 4 books with the 4th to be released), each of the second trilogy books are about half the length of the first if that helps you make a decision.

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't done so reading Secret History is a must, although it does have a few spoilers for The Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning if you are not going to read those then you can jump right in, but looking at your post I think you might enjoy Secret History quite a bit if you read the next trilogy first (actually 4 books with the 4th to be released), each of the second trilogy books are about half the length of the first if that helps you make a decision.

Yeah I already made a decision to check out Alloy of Law and what not, but I'm going to take a break on Sanderson for a minute and switch gears. I burned through the Mistborn Trilogy and want to switch gears away from fantasy for a bit before eventually returning. Just looking at the covers though, I think I'll have a lot of fun with that new trilogy.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
AP20087652686043.jpg

Just finished it and definitely have mixed feeling about it. It starts strong with an interesting premise and characters; it gets even better halfway through. However, once you get to the climax and ending, it just falls on its face. It was so cliché and safe, you saw it coming from a mile away. It honestly ruined the book for me. It felt like he did the ending in 30 minutes. I don't know if I'd would actually recommend it. It was free for me, so no harm no foul.

Last edited:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Finished:
images

which has a good idea (there's a surrogacy farm in upstate NY where rich people can pay for a surrogate to be pampered in beautiful surroundings) but never seems to land on tone completely. It tries to be a novel about institutionalised racism, class and inequality but also to be a bit of a suspense thriller - but the two don't seem to mix that well. Also, the Epilogue is really bad and seems to go against the themes of the whole book with one of the surrogates then being hired by The Farm's runner to be a surrogate and nanny her children - whilst the whole book has been kind of pointing out the power inequality inherent in such relationships.

It's a bit like a cheaper, airport thriller version of Never Let Me Go.

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Finally finished this epic trilogy. I did not expect it to be as long and deep as it was. Some parts were definitely slow, but overall it was an enjoyable series even if it embraced some wellworn fantasy tropes.

36111098._SY475_.jpg

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
Finally finished this epic trilogy. I did not expect it to be as long and deep as it was. Some parts were definitely slow, but overall it was an enjoyable series even if it embraced some wellworn fantasy tropes.

36111098._SY475_.jpg
I've got this on my list. I remember reading the first book a few years back when it came out but never ended up reading the other two when they were released.

Heard plently of good things about it though

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Gardens of the Moon, for the third time. The previous two times I stopped reading midway the series and forgot about all the characters and had to start over. Damn you, Malazan.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
The Sea and Poison by Shusaku Endo. Didn't expect to enjoy it much as I did. Characters and their motives were rather thin and couldn't really grasp why some of the characters decided to take part in the vivisection. But style of writing and the pacing just kept me going. I'll probably check out more of Endo's novels.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
This book is only 99pence in today's Kindle Daily Deal here in the UK.

I read it a few months ago and personally thought it was fantastic. If you're a fan of big, epics similar to The Stand, then go for it.

9781781088104.jpg

OP
OP
Jag

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
This book is only 99pence in today's Kindle Daily Deal here in the UK.

I read it a few months ago and personally thought it was fantastic. If you're a fan of big, epics similar to The Stand, then go for it.

9781781088104.jpg

I've only read Wendig's Star Wars books and I wasn't a fan. I take it this is supposedly decent?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I've only read Wendig's Star Wars books and I wasn't a fan. I take it this is supposedly decent?

I can't comment on the SW books as I've never read them, but I liked this, and it has good reviews on Amazon. Maybe Wendig is better when he's writing his own characters and story rather than working around an established franchise?

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished "Someone Who Will Love You In All Your Damaged Glory" by Raphael Bob-Waksberg (creator of Bojack Horseman) and I really loved it. Had a real blast with it. But when I went through the reviews of it, I was kinda shocked by some people who were down on it and it kinda made me wonder; Do people just blast straight through short story collections like they do novels? It's just something I find kind of bizarre, since when I read any kind of collection, I try and space it out, usually reading one or two a day with coffee before switching to whatever novel I've been reading. There were a lot of comments about how it was repetitive, which I get, but its only something I could imagine being an issue when reading each story back to back to back which.... I just don't do for collections like I said. Anyway just gonna post my Goodreads review.

Goodreads said:
An amazing short story collection from the creator of Bojack Horseman that easily makes its way into one of my favorite books I've ever read. Like for real. Like I will be thinking about some of these stories and some of their messages for a very long time.

The easiest way to sell someone on this book is to ask if they love the strange mixture of wacky surrealism punctuated by real, sincere, human moments of Bojack Horseman? If the answer is yes, you'll love this because the collection has that distilled into all of its heartfelt short stories. On the other end though, if you thought Bojack was perhaps too punny, too stylistically full of itself, then I can see how this book would easily turn you off. Especially in its first few stories, this collection feels like it's trying too hard to impress you with its linguistic wit. Luckily it really evens after the beginning stretch, though all of his stories have a stylistic, spoken word aspect to them. The characters feel like they are speaking the story to you, at least in the longer stories.

The structure of the book is one or two very short stories (between 1 and 5 pages) breaking up the meatier, more proper short stories of this collection. The very short stories are a lot more experimental, taking on stark stylistic motifs as opposed to traditional story structure; the one that comes to mind is a game show where you spin a wheel to find out the type of meeting you're going to have with your ex. They often carry the same emotional gut punches as the longer stories, but they also verge on the weirder surrealisms.

This is a collection with a theme, and that theme is Love, whether it be lost love, finding new love, or appreciating the love you have. While I love pretty much everything this book has to say on the matter, outside of the theme the stories aren't very complicated outside of this subject matter. That is except for the last story, "More of You That You Already Are" which has some political stuff added on to the usual musings on love. In my opinion, that is the best story of the collection, meaning it ends on one hell of a strong note. (Technically it ends on what feels like a love letter to his wife, but its one of those shorter stories at about a page.).

Oh also the book is super funny. Like I was cackling alone in my room funny. Like I had to put my book down and hold my face funny.

Overall, one of my favorite collections I stumbled across and one I recommend any fan of complicated love and surrealism to check out.

Side note, of the collection my favorite three stories are...

1. More of you that you already are - I laughed the hardest at this and cried the hardest at its ending.
2. Rules for Taboo - One of the shorter, more surreal pieces but god I love the set up behind it and I love how much information you get through the gimmick. It also has the titular moment and its such a great fucking line and as a result, a great title.
3. Rufus - Its set from a dogs perspective and it really hits that part of me that's like "Doggo pls don't be sadz" In a way, a bit cheap, but it works.

Oct 25, 2017
Rounding third and heading home in Last Argument of Kings

Wasn't too sure about this trilogy for the longest time but I am surprised at how invested I am in this world and characters and how much I have enjoyed these books.

dsosarod

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017

Wasn't too sure about this trilogy for the longest time but I am surprised at how invested I am in this world and characters and how much I have enjoyed these books.
I finished the trilogy 2 days ago and also wasn't exactly feeling it, but oh, boy, that changed fast! I hope to get into the rest of the books soon.

davidnolan13

Oct 27, 2017
north east uk
currently reading -
better than life by grant naylor ( 2nd red dwarf book) Read this loads but i wanted to do another round of the series after having a full watch of the show.

die trying - lee child (2nd jack reacher book) i liked the first book so ive started picking up the rest.quite liking it so far.

murder of roger ackroyd - agatha christie (poirot) i saw the latest murder on the orient express and i liked it so i decided to start collecting agatha christie books especially poirot.liking them so far.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
41+aN7ZbS9L.jpg

Going to give this a shot. Memoir and autobiography generally aren't my thing, but I think this one should be worth it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
The Heroes by Lord Grimdark himself.

36111098._SY475_.jpg
Probably one of the series where I was really happy with where everyone from the main cast ended up at the end.

Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
81jfx-2xCIL._AC_UY327_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

I've only read the first story, and I worship the ground Winslow walks on, but take the machismo of The Force and double it. Left me a little...meh.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading Them: Adventures with Extremists by Jon Ronson at the moment.

I'm really enjoying it.

Slightly weird to read as it was first published almost 20 years ago, so some references are dated. Looking forward to getting through more of it though - I believe Alex Jones features at some point (...yay)...

Any other suggestions along the same lines, specifically that style of non-fiction where it sometimes feels just as much about the author and the journey they take as it does the subjects?

Preferably something more recent if possible!

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Finished Michel Houellebecq's The Elementary Particles. Don't know what to make of this book. On the other hand I found some chapters extremly interesting, especially chapters with Michel. Bruno's story had it's ups and downs, most of the time his plot line was fairly repetitive, towards the end Bruno gets bit more meat to his character and he becomes almost sympathetic at some levels. Overall it felt mostly like angry rant against hippie generation and story of materialism trumping over everything regardless fight against it.

Started to read this after Houellebecq and it's still good. So far I have enjoyed the trilogy very much and feel like the series never lost steam. I wonder if I stop after this trlogy or continue with the second one.

OozeMan

Feb 21, 2018
Endurance by Scott Kelly. It chronicles his year- long stay at the International Space Station.

It's a fascinating account, more so for me because I had dreamt of becoming an Astronaut since I was very young.