Sparky2112

Feb 20, 2018
I've read Infinite Jest on the kindle app for my iPad. Was a great experience. The end notes pops up in the bottom of the screen when you click them. Afterwards you can quickly get back to the main text without any hassle. I don't understand how people can possibly prefer physical books when it comes to doorstoppers. They're so uncomfortable to lug around.

Seconded. I've read it twice - once physical, once Kindle. I'm under the impression that Kindle handles footnotes/endnotes much better as it has evolved, and it was a breeze - especially since some endnotes have their own notes.

Standard IJ disclaimers: you HAVE to give it 200 pages or so. If you don't make it to Eschaton, you're going to miss one of the greatest scenes in all of literature (and if you DO quit before then, watch The Decemberists 'Calamity Song' video they made of it, directed by Michael Schur (The Office, Parks and Rec, Brooklyn 99, The Good Place, etc.) who is a Wallace fan). And *nothing* in the book is in there by accident - my second reading really brought that home...

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I've started reading 1-3 short stories from Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things collection every day or two.

I really want a whole book (series) of Cthulhu Sherlock Holmes.

Like...

Right now.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Read

My Lovely Wife by Samantha Downing

Which was your average page turner, few murders, unreliable narrators. Nothing special but passed the time. The main twist was pretty obvious and it all seemed to wrap up ridiculously quickly, but there you go.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
What ebook services do people use that aren't amazon? Realsied since I'm using an android based eBook reader now I don't really have to limit myself to the amazon kindle ecosystem.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of My Lovely Wife, it's been a bit since I've read a proper page-turning thriller, so I'm asking y'all to hit me with your craziest ones: any good ones out there that are just filled with twists and turns and absurdity and EXCITEMENT? It can be as shallow as a puddle and the prose doesn't have to be beautiful and the characters can be straight up one-dimensional, I just feel like trying something that goes unabashedly nuts with twists and stuff.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I've heard that about the book a couple of times and I get it. The spider half is just sooooo much more interesting. I personally really enjoyed the human stuff and thought that it on its own would have been compelling sci-fi. But in comparison to the spider stuff, it's the just so less interesting.
I thought maybe I was an outlier but that's interesting. At first I thought I'd be way more into the human storyline too but something about it just whiffed. I'm wondering if I should just give up since I've been not reading very much and it's partly because I'm not motivated to finish this... and also Animal Crossing came out.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of My Lovely Wife, it's been a bit since I've read a proper page-turning thriller, so I'm asking y'all to hit me with your craziest ones: any good ones out there that are just filled with twists and turns and absurdity and EXCITEMENT? It can be as shallow as a puddle and the prose doesn't have to be beautiful and the characters can be straight up one-dimensional, I just feel like trying something that goes unabashedly nuts with twists and stuff.

Yeah, there's always a time for those.

If you can stomach the atrocious writing and haven't already read them, give Dan Brown a go. Otherwise I'm a big fan of the ones that have the main character being hugely unreliable:

Gone Girl
Before I Go To Sleep
The Girl on the Train
You
Big Little Lies
Apple Tree Yard

If you want one that is really out there (but not very good) While You Sleep - it's about a woman unsure if she's dreaming or having an actual affair with a ghost from the past in the Scottish Highlands. The ghost is into S & M as well. It's pretty odd.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
AP20087652686043.jpg

It's free with Kindle Unlimited, so why not? Not too far into it, but I'm enjoying it so far.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
I just finished my first experience with Truman Capote: In Cold Blood. I thought it was fantastic and makes it clear Capote is a gifted storyteller and a master of language. The book was perfectly researched, structured, and paced. It's incredible how suspenseful it is throughout when you essentially know everything about the who, what, where, and how within the first third of the novel. But Capote teases the tantalizing answer to "why?" for as long as possible...

ara

Oct 26, 2017
If you want one that is really out there (but not very good) While You Sleep - it's about a woman unsure if she's dreaming or having an actual affair with a ghost from the past in the Scottish Highlands. The ghost is into S & M as well. It's pretty odd.

Pretty odd indeed. I might have to check this out lol. Thanks for the other recs, too!

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodline by Claudia Gray

I haven't read a book in about 9 years - that was the Hobbit. It's keeping my attention pretty good and it's a nice change of pace to read a book given circumstances in the world.

Oct 25, 2017
I thought maybe I was an outlier but that's interesting. At first I thought I'd be way more into the human storyline too but something about it just whiffed. I'm wondering if I should just give up since I've been not reading very much and it's partly because I'm not motivated to finish this... and also Animal Crossing came out.

Out of curiosity, where are you currently in the story? (be sure to spoiler tag it)

So the human storyline does go some kinda nuts places in the last third of it, but even at its most interesting it won't ever be as interesting as the spider side. That said, its really not a fair comparison because the spider side gets super interesting by the end with a lot of crazy concepts being thrown around. So what I'm saying is the human stuff does get better, but really if you're going to keep reading you should ask yourself how invested you are in seeing where spider society can go?

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

I've read quite a lot of trashy thrillers over the past couple of years, but now the question has been asked my mind has gone completely blank.

If I suddenly remember any good ones I'll get back to you!

One that does spring to mind is "The Chain" by Adrian Mckinty.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Crime and thriller books / shows are a staple of the Easter holiday in Norway (don't ask), and for the last couple of years my tradition has been reading a new Shirley Jackson. 2018: The Haunting of Hill House. 2019: We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

This time:

131177.jpg

So far so good. There are the tiniest little turns of phrase in her books that just give you chills. Underneath the middle-class normality, thoughts that are not quite normal, emotions that are not fully explained.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Finished with Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn: The Final Empire (Mistborn #1) and started Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov this morning for some light reading.
The Brothers Karamazov is definitely a slow burn. I feel like I am missing out on a lot without having a solid knowledge of The Bible. Much of the first half so far has been debating the merits and worth of Christian morals and how to best demonstrate or practice Christian worship and I feel like some of the humor and greater understanding is going over my head.

That said, much like what I read in Anna Karenina last year, Dostoevsky has a true talent for portraying his characters through internal thought monologues and prose. Every character has great dimension and a distinct feeling to them. There is a constant evolution of contradictions and second-guessing that feels real and human.

I am now 370 pages in and I feel like he has just been setting the scene and the real story has yet to start... which is an odd feeling.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
220px-Hyperion_cover.jpg

Im going to have to stop reading this at night before bed. It's making me stay up waaaay too late. I just got to the end of the journals of the 3 score and 10 and this is fucking amazing. I'm so sad though about Father Dure. But holy shit. I have been unbelievably hooked since he went down to the the Basilica in the Cleft. It's a selfish thought, but I hope Im not jumping into scifi novels with.... "The Wire" where Im going to end up disappointed by everything else because I started with the greatest.

In any case this has been fantastic and its only been a moment so far.
What a coincidence, I just finished reading Hyperion. The stories that each pilgrim tells are great. It's a really clever literary device to build the world.

I enjoyed it, but I wish there was some kind of closure at the end of the first book. Not sure if I feel like committing to an entire series.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
David Mason's Shadow Over Babylon (Hirvenmetsästäjä suomeksi, jos muistan oikeen niin oot suomalainen) is a pretty decent thriller about the fictional assassination of Saddam Hussein. It has a bit of an issue of all the male characters being impossibly amazing studs & some machoism, but the personal lives of all the characters is ultimately a fairly small part of the book and the rest feels like a pretty realistic depiction of how that kind of attempt might take place in the real world at the time the book is set in. Everything does work out a bit too perfectly but there are enough stumbles in the way for it to not be too much of an issue.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
Crime and thriller books / shows are a staple of the Easter holiday in Norway (don't ask), and for the last couple of years my tradition has been reading a new Shirley Jackson. 2018: The Haunting of Hill House. 2019: We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

This time:

131177.jpg

So far so good. There are the tiniest little turns of phrase in her books that just give you chills. Underneath the middle-class normality, thoughts that are not quite normal, emotions that are not fully explained.
Hangsaman's great - I often feel it gets overlooked compared to her two best-known novels.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
Out of curiosity, where are you currently in the story? (be sure to spoiler tag it)

So the human storyline does go some kinda nuts places in the last third of it, but even at its most interesting it won't ever be as interesting as the spider side. That said, its really not a fair comparison because the spider side gets super interesting by the end with a lot of crazy concepts being thrown around. So what I'm saying is the human stuff does get better, but really if you're going to keep reading you should ask yourself how invested you are in seeing where spider society can go?
The spiders had just discovered DNA and overcome the plague. Last thing I remember from the human storyline was visiting the planet that Kern recommended and it was covered in a giant plant that made colonization impossible.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Working my way through Hyperion and War and Peace. Also have a long-running readthrough of Wolf Hall lurking in the background, but it's on the back burner as I try to push through Hyperion before the three-week ebook checkout from the library is up.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I've started reading 1-3 short stories from Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things collection every day or two.

I really want a whole book (series) of Cthulhu Sherlock Holmes.

Like...

Right now.
It's not by Gaiman obviously, but have you seen James Lovegrove's Cthulhu Chronicles series? It's exactly what you're asking for, a three book (so far) series about Holmes and Watson battling Lovecraftian horrors.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm about halfway through Sword of Destiny, the second Witcher short story collection now. I'm really enjoying it. The first story was in the show (the one with the dragon). I love how much Dandelion is in this novel. A lot of times I found myself laughing out loud at some of the dialogue between Geralt and him.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
just finished Fellowship of the Ring. going to watch the movie then I'll start Two Towers.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I'm about halfway through Sword of Destiny, the second Witcher short story collection now. I'm really enjoying it. The first story was in the show (the one with the dragon). I love how much Dandelion is in this novel. A lot of times I found myself laughing out loud at some of the dialogue between Geralt and him.

I literally just brought Sword of Destiny to work today to begin reading. Looking forward to it.

33413128._SY475_.jpg

Just finished Beartown. Really good, Backman is great at writing people that feel real.

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
Finished "A Little Hatred" at the weekend.

Really enjoyed getting back into Abercrombie's world with a nice new bunch of characters to loathe and love.

Intrigued to see how this trilogy plays out.

613hyM9RAgL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now onto "The Goblin Emperor" which is another huge change of pace from Malazan and Age of Madness.

Struggled a bit at the start due to the 5,000 names and titles being thrown in your face and I've given up trying to pronounce some of them in my head so just mumble through them but about half way through now and liking it a lot.

BUT...I can't stop thinking about Malazan. It's changed the game for me and I'm either going to reread it VERY soon or get into a few of the other novels in the Malazan world.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
lO5qqMv.jpg

Been reading Middlegame. It's been incredibly interesting and strange.

Essentially a hidden organization of alchemists have made Frankenstein children to house an inhuman affinity for knowledge, one child has a mathematical brain while the other is linguistic. The two children are sent out into the world and the book begins after the two kids encounter one another and begin communicating. Very strange, very compelling.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
heard good things about this book. going to give it a try

35068705.jpg
I enjoyed approx the first third a huge amount but it went really downhill for me and by the end I hated it. Real shame. It had such promise at first and I loved the main character but her personality and the novels tone were hugely inconsistent. It was like it was written by different people.

gpkg7D8.jpg

Hardly a surprise that Jordan Peele got involved in adapting this for television, because the basic premise is right up the sort of politically-conscious horror (or thriller) that he's become known for in his directorial efforts. Lovecraft Country the novel actually began life as a TV pitch, which explains its episodic structure (as the author notes in his afterword), with several segments, each one taking a particular aspect of Jim Crow/1950s era American race relations and building a genre tale around it -- so we open with the Green Book/sundown towns, another focuses on "passing", there's a particularly interesting one about restrictive covenants, blockbusting, and the general hostility of all-white neighbourhoods, and so on. Not meant as a criticism, but at times I was thinking that segments of this book could easily be used as a teaching tool in schools.

All that said, I did come away from the book feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Some of the episodes are, as you would expect, more interesting than others, and the initial and most obviously Lovecraftian segment (a few black characters go to investigate a weird cult in a remote, mysterious town in rural New England) is such a success that I was left with a lingering sense of disappointment when it ended. The ending is also a bit too pat, in comparison with the beginning. But I enjoyed reading it, and one can easily see that this would make for an interesting TV series.

Oct 25, 2017
lO5qqMv.jpg

Been reading Middlegame. It's been incredibly interesting and strange.

Essentially a hidden organization of alchemists have made Frankenstein children to house an inhuman affinity for knowledge, one child has a mathematical brain while the other is linguistic. The two children are sent out into the world and the book begins after the two kids encounter one another and begin communicating. Very strange, very compelling.
Loved this book, one of those where you kind of want a sequel but also feel like they wrapped it enough that you'd be happy if there weren't

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Started The Outsider by King. Liked it well enough and the wife wanted to watch the series. Normally don't do that if I start a book first but kinda glad I did. Makes me not want to finish now cause if it follows even 75% of the same beats I'm good and don't want to waste time

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Loved this book, one of those where you kind of want a sequel but also feel like they wrapped it enough that you'd be happy if there weren't
I'm surprised at how well it's holding itself together. The premise is so absurd and the antagonists are so verbose and omniscient they feel almost like Saturday morning supervillains. Still, it feels urgent and somehow believable despite the unworldly nature of its premise. I'm really enjoying it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how well it's holding itself together. The premise is so absurd and the antagonists are so verbose and omniscient they feel almost like Saturday morning supervillains. Still, it feels urgent and somehow believable despite the unworldly nature of its premise. I'm really enjoying it.
Yep, kind of reminds me of Lexicon by Max Barry

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Started The Outsider by King. Liked it well enough and the wife wanted to watch the series. Normally don't do that if I start a book first but kinda glad I did. Makes me not want to finish now cause if it follows even 75% of the same beats I'm good and don't want to waste time
I'm totally not trying to yuck anyone's yum here. I'm a huge King fan (I even visited Bangor just to see the dudes pad), but I finished this up a month or so ago and goddamn. It was possibly my least favorite novel of his. It's just so, so unnecessarily long. Scene after scene of characters pitting belief vs disbelief at one another while eating food. And the cantaloupe metaphor, my lord. That, and the one dudes cowlick hair are some of the only signs of identity for characters in a book that had hundreds of pages to expand them out - something King has managed in a dozen other novels. Ahh. Anyway, rant over.

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
I'm totally not trying to yuck anyone's yum here. I'm a huge King fan (I even visited Bangor just to see the dudes pad), but I finished this up a month or so ago and goddamn. It was possibly my least favorite novel of his. It's just so, so unnecessarily long. Scene after scene of characters pitting belief vs disbelief at one another while eating food. And the cantaloupe metaphor, my lord. That, and the one dudes cowlick hair are some of the only signs of identity for characters in a book that had hundreds of pages to expand them out - something King has managed in a dozen other novels. Ahh. Anyway, rant over.

I haven't read many but I haven't disliked a book of his yet so this was upsetting for me to stop reading on the basis of a TV show but like I said as long as they end up the same basic way I won't like the book either. The beginning was great. After not so much