AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will be just fine without you running defense and downplaying launch issues with their latest console.

Good amount of reported issues seems to be fixable via firmware updates, but hard bricking is its own thing and hopefully very rare.

Not defending Sony. It sucks that a lot of PS5's are having issues and I don't doubt that. Just poking fun at the fact that a lot of these triggers are basic things that shouldn't be the case in the first place.

I've got my PS5 plugged into the LAN as well as an external HDD. Hoping my shit doesn't break either.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
Using LAN and an external drive are pretty common. Without reading the entire thread can someone point me in the direction of why these are contributing towards hardware failure and aren't just coincidental?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The issues and post count over on the PS5 Reddit for technical issues is crazy, I wonder if it was similar to the PS4 and due to the likely higher volume of purchased units? Can't find the equivalent Xbox topic to compare

Spiderhead

Banned
Aug 15, 2020
Canada
Has there been any issues with the DE that we know of?

Also should it be horizontal or vertical? Maybe the liquid metal is being an issue?

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
The issues and post count over on the PS5 Reddit for technical issues is crazy, I wonder if it was similar to the PS4 and due to the likely higher volume of purchased units? Can't find the equivalent Xbox topic to compare

Reddit PS4 Launch Thread

Technical Issues
There are a number of reports of certain PS4 systems not functioning. It is unknown at this time how widespread the problem is (Sony claims less 0.04% of potential systems have an issue reported to them). Click here for the NeoGAF thread on the issue. You can find a list of incidents reported online here.

If you end up with a broken system and want to post about it, do so in the comment section of this post dedicated to the issue. New posts about someone getting a broken PS4 will be removed as even a successful launch will have their share of faulty systems.

Just as someone else mentioned. This situation with the PS5 is nothing to worry about. Shit happens.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
People keep saying "hard drive"... are we talking HDDs specifically or all external drives, including SSDs?

carl_sandland

May 31, 2019
I had a scary moment during initial setup where I had plugged in my ethernet cable between the PS4 and PS5, ready to do the direct transfer. It just sort of hung at the start background for ages with no response... I eventually took the cable out and hardbooted and setup wifi FIRST then tried the cable transfer and wala it worked... I think there is a bug there with not having wifi network going or something.. it was not a nice first experience! I think it was a forever network timeout or something (no network).

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
AFAIK Cloud-Saves are possible?
I think that a direkt Ethernet connection is just the easier way to import your "PS4 Status Quo" wholesale.

Personally, I already planned to Start from Scratch on the PS5 as i have way too many games permanently installed that "I´ll surely play again soon" and just take up space. I´m just gonna redownload/reinstall games on a per-game-basis again.
You can. But through USB would be way faster I think.

Edit: Beaten above

I understand! Thank you! Here I was panicking lol.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I'll be using that thing for 24 hours straight, putting Miles Morales to sleep, transferring saves via USB, all that. If it's faulty I want to know ASAP as I have 12 months of warranty anyway.

I've been rocking my launch base PS4 for seven years, using rest mode all the time and all the features the console has to offer me, I'm not treating the PS5 like a crystal glass, it simply has to work while in normal circumstances. And all things in this thread are normal. Rest mode works, if it didn't, it wouldn't be a feature.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
So to sum up what I've seen across threads:
Don't use an external HDD
Spider man remastered has a bug causing crashes (both in and out of rest mode?)

my PS5 arrives in a couple hours. Should I be good to transfer PS4 data or avoid that as well? (Transfer would be over wifi)

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I get my PS5, I'm going to operate it as if nothing bad might happen and assume the best.

If it bricks, it bricks. Yolo.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Rest mode bricking for sure means a faulty ps5.

The external hdd/sdd problems probably also, but could be firmware related.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My near-launch PS4 had issues for years. It randomly turned itself on and off all the time. It was crazy.

I finally had enough and replaced it with a Pro last year.

These things happen. I'm almost sure we are not going to see Xbox 360 and PS3 levels of failure ever again though. Sucks for those that are having issues, but I'm sure the console manufacturers will make good on this.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Before I turned my console on yesterday I had plugged in my external drive I had used on PS4, and I had no issues. In the menu I removed it for a time and unplugged it. When the night was up and I was going to bed, I plugged it back in while the console was off.

This morning, I turn on my PS5 and the controllers will not work at all, both of them would just blink if pressed and the TV just displayed the "press PS button to begin" thing. At this point I'm like "no no no no no no no" and turn it back off (button on console worked just fine).

I unplugged the console for a minute then plugged it back in and everything works again. I think I'll leave the external drive off for a little while lol if I get an itch to play a PS4 game I'll just download it.

Oct 25, 2017
When I get my PS5, I'm going to operate it as if nothing bad might happen and assume the best.

If it bricks, it bricks. Yolo.

I have mine and that's exactly how I'm treating it. I feel better about it bricking because I'm guaranteed a new one, rather than having to fight for one right now. I still do hope it doesn't break but at least if it does now, I don't have to worry about it in the future.

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a list of all the known issues that are impacting people's launch PS5s?
I'm having issues getting power to the USB ports when in rest mode, even when the setting to power USB ports is enabled. Wondering if anyone else is having this issue.

Radical Ein

Jan 25, 2018
Before I turned my console on yesterday I had plugged in my external drive I had used on PS4, and I had no issues. In the menu I removed it for a time and unplugged it. When the night was up and I was going to bed, I plugged it back in while the console was off.

This morning, I turn on my PS5 and the controllers will not work at all, both of them would just blink if pressed and the TV just displayed the "press PS button to begin" thing. At this point I'm like "no no no no no no no" and turn it back off (button on console worked just fine).

I unplugged the console for a minute then plugged it back in and everything works again. I think I'll leave the external drive off for a little while lol if I get an itch to play a PS4 game I'll just download it.

For what it's worth I have no external hard drive and my controller just started to do the same thing

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Didn't ACG have his PS5 brick too? Wonder if it's the same issue. Could point to a launch edition issue.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Okay. So I mentioned earlier I get no audible dialogue whatsoever with Sackboy cutscenes. Well, it's not just Sackboy. Having been annoyed by it, I turned on Spider-Man Remastered right now and it's the exact same thing. No sound other than music in the opening intro cutscene. No idea what is going on here to cause this, but it's something console specific. I've been going through all of the sound stuff I can't find anything that should be causing it.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm downloading my PS4 games to my external HDD, I think I'm just going to unplug it after the downloads are done and wait for an update.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Mine has been connected via LAN for going on 36 hours with zero issues. What problems is it meant to cause?

I've also been putting it into Rest Mode regularly.

I am going to plug it in next week when I return. I think the main issues are external drives and PS4 data transfer, and something with rest mode for one game.

Rainemane

Oct 27, 2017
My PS5 was working fine last night. Woke up today played 2K for a while. Then I noticed artifacting happening. Tried other games and different inputs and it's still doing it so I guess I have to call Sony. Just my luck 😔

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Just as someone else mentioned. This situation with the PS5 is nothing to worry about. Shit happens.

Eh..rest mode bricking the console and external drives bricking the console are in many reports by now, i think this is definitely something to worry about.

also, i´ve read quite a few reports of artifacting PS5s. this thing is coming in hot for sure.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Eh..rest mode bricking and external drives bricking are in many reports by now, i think this is definitely something to worry about.

Is it truly rest mode bricking and ext. drives being the culprit?

There is really no substantial evidence and I know we can better be safe than sorry, but you all make it sound that 80% of the PS5's are bricked or DOA.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine the fault rate for these consoles is higher than it normally would be any other time.

At any other time in the console's lifecycle, a faulty unit isn't going to be a problem, you just get it swapped out for a new one. But at launch, with no inventory to replace the faulty consoles with... yeah people are going to report their issues more and that might make it seem like it's some kind of endemic problem, when in reality it's statistically probably nothing.

Still sucks though. Launch has to be the worst time to have a faulty console.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
Wrong.

Please don't peddle positions without data to back it up.

Many more not exhibiting issues, still al launch edition issue?
Excuse me? It was a question, not a statement of fact. It's a fact that a high profile Youtube reviewer had his PS5 brick on him during review. Then this guy and others are reporting similar issues. Maybe it isn't but evidence says there might be something there. Trying to gather more info. But sure, be a defensive fanboy.

Vexed

Jul 23, 2018
It's kind of amazing to me how many people show up to these threads to talk about how "this is a problem with all launches" or "the failure rate probably isn't any higher than normal". Sony doesn't need free damage control, folks.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Both machines have had a few failures, for them to be able to fail to start, instead of fail to a safe mode fallback of some sort in 2020 is very bad. Old PC's could at least boot on some level because they had fallbacks.

These manufactures should have built in some fail safes, I'm sure there are a couple, but they didn't help OP at all.