• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just don't know what Best Buy has to sell in 2030.

Video Games? Those are going digital.
Computers? Smart phones and tablets are pushing there, and are available at so many other, dramatically smaller, stores.

it feels like all they'll really have are TVs.

Overall, I just feel like we're still at the beginning of what online shopping will ultimately look like in the near future. And I think that traditional retail will only continue to be disrupted. Especially stores as physically large as Best Buy.

Aside from physical video games and Blu-Rays I don't really see why there wouldn't be a market for the same other items they sell today. I would rather buy a tablet from a big store that has a lot of different choices than some small specialty boutique.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I just don't know what Best Buy has to sell in 2030.

Video Games? Those are going digital.
Computers? Smart phones and tablets are pushing there, and are available at so many other, dramatically smaller, stores.

it feels like all they'll really have are TVs.

Overall, I just feel like we're still at the beginning of what online shopping will ultimately look like in the near future. And I think that traditional retail will only continue to be disrupted. Especially stores as physically large as Best Buy.
Looking around my house - washers, dryers, refrigerators, stoves. I don't have a dish washer, but add that in. Appliances are an underrated aspect of certain market sectors and Sears' implosion opened that market up a lot.
Not to mention connected devices and IoT. Video games, sure, but digital cards, the game consoles and accessories, PC components, a larger selection of mobile phones and tablets across all manner of price ranges and accessories for those things (the weird shit that no one stocks but everyone finds on Amazon) that they can now actually have on retail floors because physical media is no longer occupying space. There's so many brands across all manner of product types and price points that Best Buy doesn't have in actual stores that they could have once they have space freed up would be a boon.

People wouldn't have to wait for Prime. Even same day shipping can be beaten by me driving to Best Buy, grabbing something, and going right back home to play with it.

And we've all had an instance where, say, Walmart doesn't have an item, but you can find it in a Sprint store or Wireless Toyz for some ungodly reason; Best Buy would then have the floor space to stock that so people can actually go and pick it up the same day instead of eventually resorting to Amazon because they have it in stock and you have no Wireless Toyz conveniently in your area.

Hell, there's things Best Buy only sells on their website that they could shove into their stores once some other market sectors start to evaporate. Adn though I said Best Buy a lot, any sort could do the same for the products they have. Conns, Curacao, Kohls, Macy's, they could all do it.

Big clothing stores especially; there's some brands that you'd be hard pressed to find outside of Amazon and random boutique retailers that they could stock and take traffic away from Amazon simply because people could actually see and try it on that same day instead of buying it (if it doesnt' qualify for Prime Wardrobe), trying it on, and sending it back and then waiting a week to try it in a different size.

Any retail chain that doesn't copy Best Buy, Target, and Walmart right now is going to die. Anyone that does can survive Amazon. Some places might go back to being regional instead of national in order to not buckle and die, but it's all possible. Amazon is only going to be a monolith for so long.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Uhhh yeahhhhh nah. I don't think you understand what it's going to take for the dinosaurs to catch up to Tesla. The charging network, the autopilot, the range, the performance. They are decades away, and by the way every attempt they have made has failed.

It was more of an indictment on Elon Musk's claims that Tesla would "run out of money in 10 months" earlier this year and the overall financial troubles the company has gone through.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will be shocked if Snap survives, Instagram/Facebook ate their lunch. I can see Uber being a thing of the past and a case study by 2030.

A lot more retail stores are going to go. 2010s already killed so many, 2020s are going to be even worse. J Crew, JCPenny, maybe the Bay.

Also there's no way GE doesn't survive as a company. Maybe trimmed down heavily, but they are too big to fail. The renewable energy, energy storage, and power sector in general is going to be huge for them in the 20s.

I can see some car brands being phased out once EVs start getting more and more marketshare.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
People mentioning Uber: I'm curious as to why? I genuinely had no idea they were doing badly.
Their current business model is completely and utterly unsustainable and was never built to be, and the goals they hope to reach (going fully autonomous, licensing their AI/tech, and having enough robust data to sell) before the whole house of cards collapses are almost certainly unobtainable.

Jun 17, 2019
For those yelling that J.C. Penny wont be around the stock went up to 1.14 a share and they are just starting their recovery plan. This past quarter for Christmas their numbers were up, and they are still selling larger items on line like furniture. They are still on the list of the NYSE.

Forever 21
Walmart
Amazon
Facebook, will be restructured.
Apple is gonna have trouble in a few years

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
For those yelling that J.C. Penny wont be around the stock went up to 1.14 a share and they are just starting their recovery plan. This past quarter for Christmas their numbers were up, and they are still selling larger items on line like furniture. They are still on the list of the NYSE.

Forever 21
Walmart
Amazon

Did you just want to include the most successful companies for some reason? Nothing will happen to Walmart or Amazon. Facebook will still be around and relevant, they mostly don't have much reach with the younger crowd but everyone over 30 isn't suddenly going to die off. Apple will still be huge and making money hand over fist, but I definitely could see their stock taking significant hits when they fail to keep growing at similar rates to past years. I think cell phones will slowly become more like PCs/laptops where people only upgrade every 5+ years or so instead of yearly or every other year. iPhone sales are what drive Apple's amazing growth and once that gravy train dies down the stock will suffer, but that doesn't mean the company will be in "trouble", it just will no longer be the golden child of the stock market.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Once an EV Civic drops, the market will realize it's potential. And yes, Tesla is going nowhere. Worst case they get purchased.
I honestly don't think an electric Civic will do gangbusters. Not unless they can push it's price point to be competitive with the regular Civic.

But much like how the hybrid Civic for stomped by Prius, I think the same will happen, and I suspect it's because it won't have the prestige factor. The problem is, it'll just look like a regular Civic; how are you going to show that off?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Uber? If they can't get self driving cars working, they're in trouble.

Great minds....
If they can't get a workaround to California's AB-5 law next year (supposedly there are discussions happening with the govt and industry groups), gig economy apps like Uber will be even MORE fucked becaus they need to treat every driver as an employee.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
I believe Snapchat and Twitter are going to merge in order to combat Facebook's monopoly in the social media space and to maintain relevancy against TikTok.

I don't think they'll last either, but I see that being a loooooong, slooooooow death. By the middle of the decade their third party (and thus back catalog content) content line-up will be bled dry between D+/HBO Max/Peacock/whatever CBS AllAccess becomes, and I don't think their obscene spending will be sustainable. They're never going to be able to compete with the big studios on new content, and they don't have decades, let alone a century, of back catalog content like everyone else.

Netflix definitely has the catalogue of intellectual properties. The fundamental problem with Netflix as a business is that it's revenue is from subscriptions.

They need to either get involved in a secondary business that can grant them more stable revenue or merge with another digital platform company like Spotify so they can stay in the market.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I believe Snapchat and Twitter are going to merge in order to combat Facebook's monopoly in the social media space and to maintain relevancy against TikTok.

Netflix definitely has the catalogue of intellectual properties. The fundamental problem with Netflix as a business is that it's revenue is from subscriptions.

They need to either get involved in a secondary business that can grant them more stable revenue or merge with another digital platform company like Spotify so they can stay in the market.

What if Netflix gets into game streaming and offers a one stop all encompassing entertainment service.

If they could ever pull something off like partnering with Nintendo for Nintendo content ... oh shit, would it ever be on.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
What if Netflix gets into game streaming and offers a one stop all encompassing entertainment service.

If they could ever pull something off like partnering with Nintendo for Nintendo content ... oh shit, would it ever be on.

Netflix providing an all in one streaming service: movies, tv shows, music, gaming livestreams, books, comics, manga etc. seems to be the only option they have of being distinguishable from competitors.

I mean, YouTube is already doing that with YouTube Red + YouTube Music but Netflix has more paid subscribers so they can reel more consumers in for multi-streaming.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix providing an all in one streaming service: movies, tv shows, music, gaming livestreams, books, comics, manga etc. seems to be the only option they have of being distinguishable from competitors.

I mean, YouTube is already doing that with YouTube Red + YouTube Music but Netflix has more paid subscribers so they can reel more consumers in for multi-streaming.

The other ironic or bizarre thing I can see happening is Netflix becoming the defacto cinephile connoisseurs' go to place as they finance more and more projects like Scorcese's The Irishman and Roma.

Flaurehn

Oct 25, 2017
Mexico City
I think Facebook won't dissapear but I feel like they are flying too close to the sun in regards to privacy and they will fuck up somewhere along the way and will cause a huge movement for regulation which will cause a domino effect for restructuration on big techs.

half of the big indie game companies will either close doors or be absorbed into one of the big fishes

gamestop for sure

pentax and olympus in the photography world

oh, and Uber in the next 5 years

Ah yes, the old "once XYZ automaker starts making EV's, Tesla is done!" argument. Which has been proven wrong time and time again since 2012.

Porsche- their "tesla killer" Taycan was a flop.
Jaguar- their "tesla killer" iPace was a flop.
Audi- their "tesla killer" etron was a flop.
BMW- they never took the i3 seriously
VW- lots of "tesla killer" concept cars but none of them have yet to release (and then flop). By the way, this is the company that literally cheated on their diesel emissions tests. What a great candidate to put Tesla out huh
GM- bolt is arguably a flop, but they're too busy selling gas guzzling trucks and SUV's to care
Ford- Mach E is too little, too late. If it ever even comes out.
Nissan- first to market with the Leaf in 2011, but it's a terrible car. Low range, poor battery tech, econobox handling, weak brand.
And of course the countless EV startups trying to eat Tesla's lunch- Bollinger, Rivian, et al., most of them have gone under (Lucid, Fisker, etc) and the ones that remain have yet to release and sell a single car.

Meanwhile the Model 3 continues to dominate sales figures in numerous markets. It took out the genre-defining BMW 3 Series in numbers recently.

Toyota has their head WAY up their ass with hydrogen fuel cells (because Japan subsidizes it) and hybrid cars, so I doubt they can release something viable by 2030. However, I do think hybrids are great and have their place in the market.

Oh yeah, Mazda...actually I don't see Mazda lasting by 2030. The CEO literally said in an interview that electric cars don't matter. They're gonna feel the burn once the miata subculture fades out

NONE of these guys have a charging network on par with Superchargers in both # of locations and charging speed

NONE of these guys have anything close to Autopilot

NONE of these guys have their future cars shown off in big rap videos, and the insane virality/word of mouth and meme-juice and Era hate that comes with every Tesla product announcement. They don't do ANY paid advertising and yet they're the most talked about car brand. Weird!

I think the opposite, I think lots of Big Auto is in legit trouble, ripe for restructuring, once EV sales pick up more steam and they realize they're years behind in technology because they're thinking in short term (sell as many trucks and SUV's to as many karens as possible) instead of long term (climate change is real, electrifying personal and commercial transport will help because so much of the world relies on road infrastructure)
The Taycan is definitely not a flop. Porsche is making bank right now.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Im gonna make a bold one here, but Sony as we know it won't last the decade. Sony as a Nintendo like entity with a games division will still exist, however the imaging and sound divisions along with their Cinema branch will either be a merger or split off as its own entity.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I can only assume people aren't saying Radio Shack because they have no idea it is still in business.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
People saying Subway should buy a plane ticket to any other country that's not America. The brand is huge worldwide and has no competition outside of the USA.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Some of the companies listed on page one will continue to survive as brand names that do other things.

Because of supply chain issues and sustainability Fast Fashion brands don't really survive for long and if they do it's because someone bought them and they're now operating under a different brand.

For the person who said Remington, that brand survives as part of a bunch of conglomerates and they can keep using the brand for a while just like they'd use brands like Morphy Richards, Foreman, and a bunch of others.

For those not in the know all Siemens household goods are part of Bosch's domestic appliances arm.

There's going to be some major changes coming up in the telecoms space over the next decade. Mobile telecoms space that is when manufacturers who are now service providers also find ways to launch satellites to provide data to their device users.

High street retail. Other than whatever that McKinsey branded retail of the future thing becomes. If it lifts off.

for those that think the big auto companies will cease to exist. The brands will continue to operate as they're pivoting to a new model of ownership. I'm not a fan of it but I know where their minds are right now.

There will be a lot of consolidation and brands will get acquired and not exist as such.

By 2030 most of the traditional advertising agencies are going to die out. Saatchi and Saatchi is facing the chopping block. I can see a lot of WPP dying as well slowly but surely and pivoting to a different model. Digital media has changed the landscape.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Netflix

They spend way too much Money and still have a huge dept of multiple billions, which grows with every year.
It will survive as a brand name (maybe a buyout).

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I believe Sony Pictures Entertainment and Universal will be bought by another competing studio (most likely Disney) within 1 decade. A lot of the big companies you know will be gone within 20 years. That's capitalism, baby.

Annatar86

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
MVMT
Daniel Wellington
99% of crowdfunded fashion watches brand
iBag and all those 1-year fast-fashion brands that pop up and disappear within a year after opening 10 stores in every city (like O bag some years ago)
probably netflix
Gamestop
maybe eBay

Some of the companies listed on page one will continue to survive as brand names that do other things.

Because of supply chain issues and sustainability Fast Fashion brands don't really survive for long and if they do it's because someone bought them and they're now operating under a different brand.

For the person who said Remington, that brand survives as part of a bunch of conglomerates and they can keep using the brand for a while just like they'd use brands like Morphy Richards, Foreman, and a bunch of others.

For those not in the know all Siemens household goods are part of Bosch's domestic appliances arm.

There's going to be some major changes coming up in the telecoms space over the next decade. Mobile telecoms space that is when manufacturers who are now service providers also find ways to launch satellites to provide data to their device users.

High street retail. Other than whatever that McKinsey branded retail of the future thing becomes. If it lifts off.

for those that think the big auto companies will cease to exist. The brands will continue to operate as they're pivoting to a new model of ownership. I'm not a fan of it but I know where their minds are right now.

There will be a lot of consolidation and brands will get acquired and not exist as such.

By 2030 most of the traditional advertising agencies are going to die out. Saatchi and Saatchi is facing the chopping block. I can see a lot of WPP dying as well slowly but surely and pivoting to a different model. Digital media has changed the landscape.

Huh, I never knew the ad agencies were in trouble.

My picks would be GameStop, JC Penney, Sears, Kmart, and Uber.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Uber
Lyft
MVMT
GameStop
BioWare
Snapchat
WeWork (too easy?)
Remington Arms (maybe just the name survives?)

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think a lot of Fast Casual dining is going to tank in the next 10 years, stuff like:
  • Swiss Chalet
  • Jack Astor's
  • Montana's
  • Kelseys
  • East Side Mario's
  • Boston Pizza
  • Casey's
  • Fionn MacCool's
These are just Canadian ones that I see, but they're always dead, and the only time I, or anyone my age or younger goes is when it's mostly a bar, or with our parents.
It's really just not worth the money for such banal foods.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
We're going to see more consolidation happening around the major companies, so I expect anything smaller to disappear into a merge.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Im gonna make a bold one here, but Sony as we know it won't last the decade. Sony as a Nintendo like entity with a games division will still exist, however the imaging and sound divisions along with their Cinema branch will either be a merger or split off as its own entity.
You beat me to it.
Sony isn't making it through the next decade.

PlayStation, Music and Image Sensors are their lifeblood. They lack the scale to compete in entertainment and insurance (outside of music, but they're too large to grow), they're an also ran in consumer electronics and they won't replicate the PS4's success.

They'll be broken up and sold in chunks.

dem

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Forever 21
Walmart
Amazon

lol this is hilarious..

"Hey don't be talkin bad about JC Penney!.... They just started their recovery!"

but Amazon and Walmart are in trouble... holy shit.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I believe Sony Pictures Entertainment and Universal will be bought by another competing studio (most likely Disney) within 1 decade. A lot of the big companies you know will be gone within 20 years. That's capitalism, baby.
Universal is owned by Comcast who I doubt will ever sell the studio to rival Disney.

Comast is not FOX looking for an out.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the major news media companies invested in newspapers. Gannett (aka Gatehouse parading around in Gannett's skin), Tribune, McClatchy, Digital First Media. Most have overleveraged debt that's going to blow up.

Not because no one cares about the news; because venture capital firms bought these papers up, extracted every penny they could from them, and transfered their debts onto these companies. They've been set up to fail after extracting maximum profit for shareholders, but don't worry; their respective boards will be OK with their golden parachutes. You'll just kind of be fucked trying to know what's going on in your backyard; good luck!

TV station conglomerates will spend the 2020s massing into super chains before collapsing similarly in the 2030s.

Oath will finally get axed by Verizon. RIP Yahoo and AOL.

At least one major cable news network bites the dust, I suspect, and it's probably the one who's viewer base is literally dying due to old age. However, they live on under a new identity online, likely.

Chrysler and Dodge will disappear by 2030, replaced by Maserati and Alfa Romeo. Keep and RAM will live on.

Buick will die as Cadillac becomes China's marque of choice among GM brands. GMC should, but won't.

Uber and Lyft both end up being subsumed by other major tech firms. Or Tencent.

Most esports orgs collapse by 2030 as well, still unable to turn a profit for all but the biggest.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

Forever 21
Walmart
Amazon
The #1, #3, and the #5 companies on the Fortune 500 will be gone or in bad shape within the next 10 years?

Chibits12

Oct 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
My prediction and reasons:

Yahoo (dwindling user base)
Twitter (new social media platform takes over?)
Uber (bankruptcy)
Netflix (due to merger)
Ford (not really; they'll focus on producing electric pickup trucks and SUVs by 2030)