Votes: 185 35.3%
  • Shining Pearl

Votes: 73 13.9%
  • ...Platinum

Votes: 266 50.8%

• Total voters

Jalen

Dec 18, 2017
Even with as disappointing as the game looks, I'd still be willing to buy if that music is fixed. The music made me temporarily cancel my pre-order, though.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I will say. I personally am fine with DP Gym Leader teams. I even prefer it.

When DP came out, I thought it was a shift in how Gyms were being approached and they'd focus on a certain move type with other moves on the Pokémon for coverage. It's how I wanted Gyms to be so you couldn't just go in against say Volkner with a Ground-type and guarantee victory.

It's how I want Gym Leaders to go. SWSH shook things up with many of the Pokémon carrying moves that can mess with you if you go for their main weakness, but the AI didn't really use it to their advantage, but if they went this path that they did with DP for future games I'd be all for it.
Agreed! If anything Platinum going back to boring monotype teams was a downgrade to me.
What I really miss is just the Distortion World purely for the cool factor, but it's probably a Legends thing so no biggie.

What really would have sold me on these games is overworld Pokémon, absolutely dumbfounding omission imo.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

When DP came out, I thought it was a shift in how Gyms were being approached and they'd focus on a certain move type with other moves on the Pokémon for coverage. It's how I wanted Gyms to be so you couldn't just go in against say Volkner with a Ground-type and guarantee victory.

It's how I want Gym Leaders to go. SWSH shook things up with many of the Pokémon carrying moves that can mess with you if you go for their main weakness, but the AI didn't really use it to their advantage, but if they went this path that they did with DP for future games I'd be all for it.
I mean, it's a nice thought, but that's rationalisation after the fact. They had those teams because the Pokedex didn't have enough Pokemon to kit them out with a full team of their type, not because they wanted to take the Gyms in a different direction- you can see that by the way they immediately changed course in Platinum.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I mean, it's a nice thought, but that's rationalisation after the fact. They had those teams because the Pokedex didn't have enough Pokemon to kit them out with a full team of their type, not because they wanted to take the Gyms in a different direction- you can see that by the way they immediately changed course in Platinum.
Yeah obviously that's why it happened, but back in DP that's how I thought it was going to be, and I'm glad it's a thing. Regardless of why it happened, it's a twist on things.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Did they tease/announce the episode delta stuff before the launch of Oras? Or was that a post game thing people discovered at launch?

Also if this game has no episode delta currently, do you think it could get one as paid dlc? Is post game going to be dlc for Pokemon going forward?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Platinum Teams over Diamond and Pearl Teams for me because it's shows off more the regions new pokemon. Candice has a Froslass, Volkner has an Electivire, Flint has a Magmortar (Which plays into the Volkner/Flint brothers dynamic a lot better), Aaron already had a lot of bugs from the region before but now also gets to show off Yanmega, Bertha gets Gliscor and Rhyperior, Lucian gets a Gallade. etc.

It's cool to see all these new pokemon get a spotlight (Something which more recent games have not been doing to well, glaring at you Leon and your Charizard you can never shut up about).

Here's hoping Post Game Rematches gives them a spotlight at least. (I'm assuming the game will have Post Game Rematches, knowing that Diamond and Pearl didn't have Rematches in them. Head says they are in and it's way you can got more of there TMs, but head has said there's a lot of things that should have been there but haven't.)

Gym type mixups should happen in one gen though, just make it so those gyms aren't specifically called after types when you mix it up though. Have the Trick Room Gym, the Eviolite Gym, The Happiness Gym, etc.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
It's funny, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of Emerald content in ORAS, but I have over 1,000 hours In AS and somewhere around 300 in OR, so I clearly very much enjoyed those games.
Might even start a fresh file on one today.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
Don't downplay the backlash. It doesn't matter how small it actually was, it was very loud and incessant. Even I received death threats and constant harassment about it & I just report on the news and it broke me. That sort of stuff, even small, it can cause directional shift or reconsiderations. Developers are human and even if it's just a small group of ~200 online just constantly screaming at you, it can get to you.

Also re: your earlier post, Let's Go's backlash didn't change SWSH? SWSH was in development long before Let's Go was revealed. You know that right? You were just being ridiculous for effect right?

My entire point was that the "backlash" is totally irrelevant to their development plans (the poster suggesting these remakes only exist in the first place as a pre emptive response to a potential backlash against Arceus). So yes obviously it was sarcasm.

I'm not downplaying how terrible and toxic a tiny portion of the fanbase has been, quite the opposite. It's a disgrace, totally unacceptable and makes any discourse around Pokemon insufferable. I can only imagine how bad it was for you. But the poster I have been replying to is part of that toxicity and people should not fuel their imagination by suggesting their toxic behaviour is effective in making Game Freak enact changes as this only emboldens them

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Gym type mixups should happen in one gen though, just make it so those gyms aren't specifically called after types when you mix it up though. Have the Trick Room Gym, the Eviolite Gym, The Happiness Gym, etc.

Gen 3's normal type gym with all the gimmick trainers was a ton of fun for this reason. I just wish they were allowed to experiment more with types and other effects too. Gym 8 in SwSh for a similar reason.

It's funny, I was a bit disappointed in the lack of Emerald content in ORAS, but I have over 1,000 hours In AS and somewhere around 300 in OR, so I clearly very much enjoyed those games.

ORAS are good games. The only real issues are the difficulty and the lack of battle frontier, but so much more was added than taken away, with all the character motivations being fleshed out, and it really managed to feel like a love letter to the original gen 3 from the very beginning with the GBA to the post game stuff that felt like bizarre wish fulfillment of all the pokemon gen 3 space station rumors back in the day. It felt like they managed to take some cues from Emerald in this regard too with Rayquaza.

It's one of those things where ORAS and Emerald are different but both very good games depending on what you want, whereas it seems so far to be less the case with BDSP unless you really hate HMs and want exp share.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't understand why didn't gamefreak let Nintendo handle this remake. They should have given it to the guys that did the Link's Awakening remake
They need to keep the standards consistent, and low. If Nintendo themselves was to make one of the games, it would probably turn out really good. And almost undoubtedly look so much more visually cohesive than anything Game Freak has done in the last decade.

But they can't have that, because then fans would be disappointed when the next Game Freak title came along.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Please? Gen V is perfect and should just be ported forward with Bank/modern online compatibility added. Shit, add that and sell them on the eshop for $40/$50, I'd buy it.

BW3 would be a dream, extra lore around the original Dragon, further expanding Unova.. Perfect.

It's a real shame that nowadays there is no way to play games like Platinum, B&W, B&W2 or Heartgold in modern hardware without resorting to emulation. I wonder why they ported the original Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal to the 3DS with some modern features added (and the Switch was already out), but they haven't carried on. Surely there's some money to be made there? Perhaps Serebii can comment.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
It's cool to see all these new pokemon get a spotlight (Something which more recent games have not been doing to well, glaring at you Leon and your Charizard you can never shut up about).

To give Sw/Sh credit, I think it did a good job of showcasing new stuff, with the final Pokemon of every gym leader and league opponent being a G-Max, outside of the dark gym which had a new gen VIII Pokemon, and Hop, who just dynamaxes his starter. The biggest problem there was that the league fights were just better designed repeats of the gym fights.

I was also looking at the champion teams throughout the games, and I never realized that Leon had the second highest levelled team on average out of them all, just behind Diantha or whatever she was called. Not counting Alder obviously.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's a real shame that nowadays there is no way to play games like Platinum, B&W, B&W2 or Heartgold in modern hardware without resorting to emulation. I wonder why they ported the original Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal to the 3DS with some modern features added (and the Switch was already out), but they haven't carried on. Surely there's some money to be made there? Perhaps Serebii can comment.
Gen 1 games actually came pre-Switch (over a year before) and as part of the Virtual Console, Gen 2 was post-Switch granted. They did have "extra" features added but that was only the Virtual Console modification to allow for local connection to be made as if it was using a Link Cable. That's the only "modern feature", no change in gameplay or anything (except Crystal unlocked a previous Mystery Gift over Internet only gift of the GS Ball to all players globally).

The Switch does not have a Virtual Console, and reports have indicated that Virtual Console doesn't sell well. The Pokémon figures we have are 1.5 million for all games combined.

Oct 26, 2017
They need to keep the standards consistent, and low. If Nintendo themselves was to make one of the games, it would probably turn out really good. And almost undoubtedly look so much more visually cohesive than anything Game Freak has done in the last decade.

But they can't have that, because then fans would be disappointed when the next Game Freak title came along.

Nintendo is busy making their own titles seems more likely...

I will say that TPC did not pick a very experienced or technically skilled studio to make this game though.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
ORAS is really really good. Its sadly not a definitive version of gen 3 but it brings something to the table that makes it better than the original Ruby and Sapphire. So far these remakes don't feel very definitive, even compared to the original Diamond and Pearl.

spyroflame0487

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I suppose probably not but anything regarding form changes? ie, mainly interested in Rotom but Giratina and Shaymin have alt formes too

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, sure. It's a hypothetical -- but insert Nintendo with any big competent developer, then. I'd imagine a ton of impressive studios would have jumped at the chance to make a Diamond & Pearl remake. But there's a reason Game Freak picked ILCA, and still has Masuda at the helm.

While this is more plausible, it's still not very plausible. A more compelling theory is that ILCA was just the cheapest developer who was available at the time and that Game Freak had some experience with.

Is this a good plan compared to hiring a more expensive but more experienced developer? Of course not.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
While this is more plausible, it's still not very plausible. A more compelling theory is that ILCA was just the cheapest developer who was available at the time and that Game Freak had some experience with.

Is this a good plan compared to hiring a more expensive but more experienced developer? Of course not.
Why assume cheapest?
I suppose probably not but anything regarding form changes? ie, mainly interested in Rotom but Giratina and Shaymin have alt formes too
We've seen the person who gives the Gracidea who exists only in Platinum and not DP exists in this game

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
ORAS is really really good. Its sadly not a definitive version of gen 3 but it brings something to the table that makes it better than the original Ruby and Sapphire. So far these remakes don't feel very definitive, even compared to the original Diamond and Pearl.

ORAS is my favourite Pokemon game of all time, that thing was a love letter.

Oct 26, 2017
Why assume cheapest?

We've seen the person who gives the Gracidea who exists only in Platinum and not DP exists in this game

I'm highly doubtful that ILCA was the most technically skilled or experienced developer available to TPC at the time this game started development.

It's possible, but seems unlikely. ILCA never having made a game by themselves before and then being given a remake of a game that sold 16m just seems a little.... questionable.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
As disappointed as I am with these remakes (and the fact that I could never get into Monster Hunter, so I'm not sure if I'll end up liking Arceus), I'm really curious to see what Gen 9 ends up being like.

Yeah, I agree. That was something I didn't mind about the originals, either. That's the way Gyms should be.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I was actually very excited for this game. I didn't mind the graphics or the apparently very faithful adaptation of the original game. But everything has a limit: this game is faithful to a fault. I totally get not trying to deviate from the original material too much. But not wanting to fix what's easily fixable? Or, even worse, choosing to go with the lesser versions instead of Platinum? That makes no sense.

At least HGSS incorporated part of the Crystal storyline and ORAS, while it didn't have the Battle Frontier (again, nonesense), expanded the base plot, included new gameplay mechanics and added the Delta Episode.

And that's why the visual aspect was the most important part of this remake. I mean, there was just so much stuff they could've updated, since they weren't gonna put all the National Pokédex up until Galar, or other things to put it up to date with the latest generation.

People can complain all they want about SwSh but if BDSP were done in that style, even if everything else was a "faithful remake", it would've been enough to make the region feel new and refreshed and modern, which is what all the previous remakes have done in the past.

This just feels like a remaster, in every way, which is such a strange thing to do for Pokémon mainline game, and a Nintendo DS game in general.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
would be great if GF/Pokemon would do something like the Square Enix FF Pixel Remasters for Gen 1-5 - redo the pixels, make the games HD/widescreen, re-record the soundtrack w/ orchestra

Oct 27, 2017
would be great if GF/Pokemon would do something like the Square Enix FF Pixel Remasters for Gen 1-5 - redo the pixels, make the games HD/widescreen, re-record the soundtrack w/ orchestra
If they were going to stick so close to this they should have just done that. As it is right now it looks like ass. If they'd done pixel remasters of an HD-2D, I think people would have at least had that to look forward to even if the experience adhered closely to DP. As it is now, I went from being on the fence about wanting BW remakes after LGPE were the latest remakes to strongly believing they shouldn't even bother after seeing how these games turned out

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious, by "dongle Pokemon" did the user the mons that were catchable by inserting Gen 3 games in the Gameboy slot? I haven't kept up with all the details but have any of these GB slot mons been seen in trailers or promotion materials?
Yeah, I meant those Pokemon. I remember Magby and Gligar being two exclusive to that feature, and I assume FR had Elekid in that case lol.
I guess they're in because otherwise the game would be missing gen IV Pokemon.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Wonder if Sylveon made it into this or if Eevee will just be down 1 evolution

Sylveon is the only post Gen 4 new evolution not tied to a regional form... seems like if they were going to add something to the dex, it'd be Sylveon

Officer K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if Sylveon made it into this or if Eevee will just be down 1 evolution

Sylveon is the only post Gen 4 new evolution not tied to a regional form... seems like if they were going to add something to the dex, it'd be Sylveon
Not gonna happen 'cause they want to be """faithful""" to the original game. Which was a dumb move.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond

I'm not the biggest fan of Hoenn but I've been considering starting a new playthrough of Alpha Sapphire myself to hold me over for these.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
Yeah, I meant those Pokemon. I remember Magby and Gligar being two exclusive to that feature, and I assume FR had Elekid in that case lol.
I guess they're in because otherwise the game would be missing gen IV Pokemon.
Ohh gotcha. I certainly hope all of the GB slot mons return (and not just those associated with the Gen 4 dex). Some mons like Zangoose/Seviper haven't been catchable since ORAS. Would be nice to have easier access to them (apart from Pokemon Go)

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
Gen 1 games actually came pre-Switch (over a year before) and as part of the Virtual Console, Gen 2 was post-Switch granted. They did have "extra" features added but that was only the Virtual Console modification to allow for local connection to be made as if it was using a Link Cable. That's the only "modern feature", no change in gameplay or anything (except Crystal unlocked a previous Mystery Gift over Internet only gift of the GS Ball to all players globally).

The Switch does not have a Virtual Console, and reports have indicated that Virtual Console doesn't sell well. The Pokémon figures we have are 1.5 million for all games combined.

Many thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's true that the Gen 1 did come before the Switch. In any case, for the modern features I meant connectivity with the Pokemon Bank, which in the end is what makes it worthwhile, as you get to keep the Pokemon you capture along the way.

As for the sales, 1.5 million doesn't seem bad at all? Of course, for Pokemon standards it's peanuts, but we're talking about 20-25 years old games with a few added features, I doubt it was a particularly costly project. Anyway, it'd be nice to slowly have those games available again, and keep moving up to reach the GBA/DS era.

Yeah, I didn't play Emerald back in the day, so I can't judge on it's faithfulness, but as a visual overhaul plus added content it felt really good.

Faiyaz

Nov 30, 2017
Bangladesh

ORAS were excellent remakes and will only age better as time goes on. The lack of Battle Frontier is the major blemish on it.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
If they were going to stick so close to this they should have just done that. As it is right now it looks like ass. If they'd done pixel remasters of an HD-2D, I think people would have at least had that to look forward to even if the experience adhered closely to DP. As it is now, I went from being on the fence about wanting BW remakes after LGPE were the latest remakes to strongly believing they shouldn't even bother after seeing how these games turned out
yeah maybe if Dragon Quest HD2D remake and the Pixel remasters do well for Square on console/Switch, they'll get a sense that it could be a profitable thing for them - especially if there is somehow a downturn in sales for these remakes (which there most likely won't be) - would love a separate 2d Pokemon side series with high quality pixel art etc... and more along the lines of B/W

Oct 25, 2017
Oh they decided to not be faithful there and include it.
🤣🤣this whole faithful crap, third version etc nonsense ppl be throwing around kill me. They remaking the gens they can effectively do whatever they wanna do they simply choose not too. Same example for black and white and the sequels they not remaking all 4 and ain't nobody asking them to remake both into one game either but take the stuff from the sequels like the optional side content(pwt,white forest/black city poke stars etc) and fit em right in there somewhere. The same applies to platinum content here.

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
yeah maybe if Dragon Quest HD2D remake and the Pixel remasters do well for Square on console/Switch, they'll get a sense that it could be a profitable thing for them - especially if there is somehow a downturn in sales for these remakes (which there most likely won't be) - would love a separate 2d Pokemon side series with high quality pixel art etc... and more along the lines of B/W
Thing is that the DS Pokémon games are not purely 2D outside of the battles, they have a lot of 3D elements, so I get why they would make them 3D. It has to look good however.

Jun 5, 2018
So with the source now officially dry I assume we won't be getting any new information for a while now right? At least it seems like we only had one

Oct 27, 2017
Thing is that the DS Pokémon games are not purely 2D outside of the battles, they have a lot of 3D elements, so I get why they would make them 3D. It has to look good however.
Well the HD-2D games are 3D made to look like 2D, so that...style/method would actually be a pretty good fit. I honestly think the 3D elements in BW would have been made to look more seamless with the sprites if the DS had the HW to properly do cell/toon shading (and GF had the 3D experience)

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Oh they decided to not be faithful there and include it.
"These are faithful remakes* of the original Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl games!"

*Besides the Gym Leaders' movesets being changed and the forced inclusion of Exp. Share and the removal of most Secret Base items and the battle system being updated to Generation 8's and HMs being changed and…

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't really care about this game but I don't see why this is so "disappointing" in a world where there are a lot of other faithful remakes.