• Shining Pearl

Votes: 73 13.9%
  • ...Platinum

Votes: 266 50.8%

• Total voters

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I would prefer no remakes and just Legends because I think people would have been more positive about Pokemon, because they are trying something new and no argument about release timing.
It's not like people are being super positive about Legends right now anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic about it for sure, and I think I might be far more optimistic than most people, but even I still see a lot of traces of modern GF in it that I really don't like.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It's not like people are being super positive about Legends right now anyway. I'm cautiously optimistic about it for sure, and I think I might be far more optimistic than most people, but even I still see a lot of traces of modern GF in it that I really don't like.

Well these seem like 1:1 remakes with QoL, at this point I'm not even expecting cross references to Legend Arceus

Jul 19, 2020
Rugby Warwickshire England
They would be more positive about Pokemon because Legends is the most different Pokemon main game ever and having no remakes, wouldn't take anything from that.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
This is looking like an easy skip, but I knew that from moment it was revealed.

Still looking forward to Legends though.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
I've memed it a bit, but I really might just replay platinum instead of bothering with this. it's better in literally every way except for the trainer customisation and underground stuff (which seems to just be a way to get Pokémon already available in platinum). I wish I could show these to little 10 year old me, fantasizing about what DP remakes might look like having played heart gold.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm beginning to wonder if Alolan and Galarian forms are in this. You'd think they would have shown them in the underground as part of the advertising if they were.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I mean the general attitude towards Pokemon, as none of this would exist.
*cranky old voice* I've been in this community for far too long to know the default attitude towards the franchise lately is one of defeat. At this point, we just assume we are going to get underwhelming games and not getting one (like New Pokémon Snap) feels more of a delightful surprise than an expectation.

You are young, but it'll happen to you too! *echoes in the distance*

Oct 25, 2017
22 pages of off-topic nonsense and the one member not being downright toxic is banned.

Ridiculous.

Expected, but ridiculous.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I'm beginning to wonder if Alolan and Galarian forms are in this. You'd think they would have shown them in the underground as part of the advertising if they were.
If they're in there at all (having my doubts), they'd probably only be available through new trading NPCs like in Let's Go; definitely wouldn't be catchable in a different region, because that goes against the lore/marketing reason for their existance.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If they're in there at all (having my doubts), they'd probably only be available through new trading NPCs like in Let's Go; definitely wouldn't be catchable in a different region, because that goes against the lore/marketing reason for their existance.

I was expecting perhaps Grand Underground you get some unique statues that make them show up...

...But I also feel this would have been an advertising point they would have used as well. So...

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
22 pages of off-topic nonsense and the one member not being downright toxic is banned.

Ridiculous.

No idea what that user did to get banned (I disagree with him heavily, but that's not ban worthy).

That said, I don't think negativity in itself is toxic. It's fine to be disappointed in something. People in here have been relatively civil about how disappointed they are.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

Ridiculous.

You mean the one who was mocking people not liking the game and saying that they would be laughing to the bank while at the same time asking people why they weren't excited for the game like they were in the same post? Hmm I wonder why.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Serebii Has there been any rumblings about the Darkrai, Cresselia and Shaymin events? Could we assume a Mystery Gift strategy would be applied from ILCA? I mean they fixed The Pokémon Ranger event by giving them already...
I mean Cresselia isn't an event Pokémon and part of the post-game so that should be in it as standard (much like Regigigas and Heatran).

Mystery Gift for Darkrai and Shaymin is possible. We know Mystery Gift is in and that'd be controlled by TPC like it usually is

I keep reading this but the design decisions were probably not on the team developing it.

Masuda doesn't have complete oversight. I know the fan community likes to paint him as this big boogey man ruining the franchise, but he's a co-director here. There was probably a dictate or mandate for it to be a faithful remake (as we knew when it was announced), and now we're all doing ShockedPikachu.gif because it's a faithful remake of the set of games they said were being remade, and not another game (which had a different project, codename, director etc. and is seen internally as a different game)

Let's just hope the actual bugs are patched Day 1 or soon after

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So it's hard to find any info in this thread, what exactly is confirmed in or out of these remakes from DPPt?

Oct 27, 2017
Do you honestly think Nintendo doesn't fund these games and have no input on the development? Or do you think they just market and translate the games? Where do you think all the money from the games go? Hint, look at Nintendo's financial reports
There are literally interviews that say Nintendo has never made a creative mandate in the game. Why do we have this same conversation over over again??

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There are literally interviews that say Nintendo has never made a creative mandate in the game. Why do we have this same conversation over over again??
They may not have given full input in creative aspects, but you are wrong if you think Nintendo don't provide development aid and some funding.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
So it's hard to find any info in this thread, what exactly is confirmed in or out of these remakes from DPPt?
Main story is all vanilla DP in just about every way, including trainer teams (lineups and levels; but some have altered movesets, for the better from what i've seen). The user who made it the furthest quit posting stuff after reaching the Elite Four out of fear for being hit by takedowns or worse from Nintendo, so we still know nothing about the post-game.

I feel like at this point the game being dumped online and dataminers digging in is how we'll get answers.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
You must have missed what happened after E3 2019, which caused a massive toxic backlash, which included death threats being sent to Masuda and Ohmori for months.

A toxic backlash from a 100% insignificant, tiny portion of the fanbase on places like era with it leading to precisely nothing but hot air and toxicity in every Pokemon thread here with the games doing basically better than ever with the general audience?

They must be terrified of the next backlash

OP
OP
WrenchNinja

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They're the same basic games as the originals

- Gym Leaders and Pokémon League use their Diamond & Pearl parties but with different movesets

- Gym Leaders hand out multiples of the same TM, also give you ball stickers, they also unlock use of HM functions for the Poketch

- Following Pokémon increases affection giving you buffs

That's all I can think of off the top of my head

Oct 27, 2017
They may not have given full input in creative aspects, but you are wrong if you think Nintendo don't provide development aid and some funding.

Obviously Nintendo provides aid/support. With debugging, with platform/network knowledge, etc. There is a reason Gamefreak moved their offices into Nintendo's building after all.

But when posts in these threads bring up Nintendo they obviously referring to them flexing their "publisher" power and mandating changes and we know that isn't the relationship they have. Nintendo leaves creative decisions purely to GF or whoever is the TPC liaison/producer for whatever spinoff is being developed.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Masuda doesn't have complete oversight. I know the fan community likes to paint him as this big boogey man ruining the franchise, but he's a co-director here. There was probably a dictate or mandate for it to be a faithful remake (as we knew when it was announced), and now we're all doing ShockedPikachu.gif because it's a faithful remake of the set of games they said were being remade, and not another game (which had a different project, codename, director etc. and is seen internally as a different game)
All I'm saying is that someone is making those decisions and it's not he guys making the game, it has to be someone on Pokemon Company / Game Freak side.

Anyway I'm ok with the faithful remake, the most important issue, HM slave has been taken care of. I wish random encounters were gone too. Exp share is fine but should be optional. That's it. I'm leaning towards getting the game but my plate is kinda full right now, I may not get it day one.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A toxic backlash from a 100% insignificant, tiny portion of the fanbase on places like era with it leading to precisely nothing but hot air and toxicity in every Pokemon thread here with the games doing basically better than ever with the general audience?

They must be terrified of the next backlash
Don't downplay the backlash. It doesn't matter how small it actually was, it was very loud and incessant. Even I received death threats and constant harassment about it & I just report on the news and it broke me. That sort of stuff, even small, it can cause directional shift or reconsiderations. Developers are human and even if it's just a small group of ~200 online just constantly screaming at you, it can get to you.

Also re: your earlier post, Let's Go's backlash didn't change SWSH? SWSH was in development long before Let's Go was revealed. You know that right? You were just being ridiculous for effect right?

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
All I'm saying is that someone is making those decisions and it's not he guys making the game, it has to be someone on Pokemon Company / Game Freak side.

Anyway I'm ok with the faithful remake, the most important issue, HM slave has been taken care of. I wish random encounters were gone too. Exp share is fine but should be optional. That's it. I'm leaning towards getting the game but my plate is kinda full right now, I may not get it day one.
Well yeah, the mandate for this game was almost certainly "Make a faithful remake using SWSH QoL features"

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Well yeah, the mandate for this game was almost certainly "Make a faithful remake using SWSH QoL features"

Even then you are missing stuff though, no overworld pokemon in the overworld (Though ironically it's there in the underground), no pokemon camp to heal up your pokemon on the fly, no Y-Comm for access to online features anywhere in the game (You have to go to a union room in a pokemon center, I don't know why this isn't a pause option to be honest), no fast travel between towns until you get fly as well.

We are still waiting to see on stuff like Mints and Bottle Caps with how they are in. We don't even know what the way to get Hidden Abilities are in the game yet. We don't even know if the game is going to have hidden abilities or if that's another Faithful Decision they are deciding not to put in this game since that was introduced in gen 5.

There's consistency issues. Which is odd when you compare it to ORAS which did have the features X and Y did like PSS and Pokemon Amie quick and easy to access.

Oct 26, 2017
Even then you are missing stuff though, no overworld pokemon in the overworld (Though ironically it's there in the underground), no pokemon camp to heal up your pokemon on the fly, no Y-Comm for access to online features anywhere in the game (You have to go to a union room in a pokemon center, I don't know why this isn't a pause option to be honest), no fast travel between towns until you get fly as well.

We are still waiting to see on stuff like Mints and Bottle Caps with how they are in. We don't even know what the way to get Hidden Abilities are in the game yet. We don't even know if the game is going to have hidden abilities or if that's another Faithful Decision they are deciding not to put in this game since that was introduced in gen 5.

There's consistency issues. Which is odd when you compare it to ORAS which did have the features X and Y did like PSS and Pokemon Amie quick and easy to access.

Damage calcs from the Gardenia fight(Roserade vs Monferno) strongly suggest Roserade has Technician, its HA.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

You can access the Union Room with the Y Button from wherever you are. This works for both local and online.

Pokémon Camp to heal Pokémon is an odd complaint but that's a Galar thing.

I do agree with overworld Pokémon, that was such a good change with Let's Go. Heck SWSH didn't have it until they saw the feedback from Let's Go for it.

No Fast Travel until Fly is another odd complaint but fine.

And yes there are unknowns in the game, because it's not out yet. It's illogical to say it doesn't include stuff like that or even say it is unlikely to, especially for things that are staples like Hidden Abilities (when Abilities are used) and Bottle Caps which were even used in Let's Go

Deleted member101505

User-requested account closure
Banned
Aug 18, 2021
Tbh I wasn't a big fan of the whole 'faithful' remakes idea. It felt like such an empty statement when it was shown from the beginning that they were taking some aspects from Platinum as well.

Plus designing something as faithful simply for the sake of being faithful feels lame if not a bit misguided.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda relieved that there are 0 reasons to get this after all. If it had some cool new content I could be tempted, but it would be a bitter sweet deal since I despise how it looks. It makes my choice to avoid these completely much easier, they are 100% unremarkeable and unnecessary for me.

I can focus on my excitement for Arceus and save my money.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I will say. I personally am fine with DP Gym Leader teams. I even prefer it.

When DP came out, I thought it was a shift in how Gyms were being approached and they'd focus on a certain move type with other moves on the Pokémon for coverage. It's how I wanted Gyms to be so you couldn't just go in against say Volkner with a Ground-type and guarantee victory.

It's how I want Gym Leaders to go. SWSH shook things up with many of the Pokémon carrying moves that can mess with you if you go for their main weakness, but the AI didn't really use it to their advantage, but if they went this path that they did with DP for future games I'd be all for it.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal

When DP came out, I thought it was a shift in how Gyms were being approached and they'd focus on a certain move type with other moves on the Pokémon for coverage. It's how I wanted Gyms to be so you couldn't just go in against say Volkner with a Ground-type and guarantee victory.

It's how I want Gym Leaders to go. SWSH shook things up with many of the Pokémon carrying moves that can mess with you if you go for their main weakness, but the AI didn't really use it to their advantage, but if they went this path that they did with DP for future games I'd be all for it.

I agree, I'm only disappointed with the lack of a Distorted World Episode and Battle Frontier. But again I should have a reality check because at the end of the day they are 1:1 remakes and that's it.

But again I'm spoiled by how amazing ORAS was.

Gen 3-4 are my favorite and I would love to eventually see a full on remake of Platinum. Maybe in 15 years

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm surprised people are listing all of the cool aspects of ORAS without mentioning the DexNav. I thought that was an awesome feature at the time, although I guess maybe in hindsight it's less interesting now that Pokemon just wander about in the overworld?

Anyway, I don't think ORAS should be lumped in with BDSP. While they definitely had their share of flaws and were disappointing overall (relative to how good they easily could have been), they are still good games and did add a lot of great new features, on top of bringing over pretty much everything from XY. That said, I guess I would rather just play Emerald, so in that regard they're in the same boat as BDSP, lol.

This reminds me -- I'm actually really looking forward to playing Sigma Emerald soon, which is a fan romhack that just modernizes Emerald a bit without altering the game otherwise. It adds the physical/special split, reusable TM's and the Fairy-type, etc. That should make Emerald pretty much perfect imo!

Belphegor

Sep 24, 2021
I don't understand why didn't gamefreak let Nintendo handle this remake. They should have given it to the guys that did the Link's Awakening remake

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I think SW/SH had some of the best gym leaders in the series in terms of challenge, tbh. The last dragon guy could've easily been an E4 member in an older game and not felt out of place.

Do we know what the deal is with the dongle Pokémon availability yet?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think SW/SH had some of the best gym leaders in the series in terms of challenge, tbh. The last dragon guy could've easily been an E4 member in an older game and not felt out of place.

Do we know what the deal is with the dongle Pokémon availability yet?
Now in Sinnoh Underground

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017

The bigger issue with Diamond and Pearl teams is stuff like Gardenia having Cherubi, Byron having a Bronzor, Candice having a Snover, Aaron having Dustox and Beautifly instead of Scizor and Yanmega, Bertha not having Rhyperior or Gliscor, Flint not having Magmortar and Lucien not having Gallade. The teams are objectively weaker and all it does is make the games easier. I just can't get over the fact that they've reverted to the majority of the Sinnoh evolutions being post-game only (outside of the Underground, although we don't know how that works yet)

Deleted member101505

User-requested account closure
Banned
Aug 18, 2021
Reasonable, valid criticism isn't toxicity. I don't know why he was banned, but he behaved way worse than anyone in this thread but you somehow ignore that.
Most were pretty civil here imo. We posted every leak and vid that came out, shared our thoughts and reactions to it. It was usually only a select few who steered things off topic

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ah, cool.
Does that extend to post game Pokémon as well then, because I'm sure the trailer for that stuff had Houndoom in, and that was a Pearl post game Pokémon?

I just wanna know if I can get my king, Parasect, in before the national dex.
Not sure entirely how the Underground is going to work yet