• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're approaching all those as PLOT HOLES.

I'm talking about satisfying narrative.

Of course Spidey needs the Iron Spider suit or he'd die in space.
But you made his own movie about him not needing Stark, understanding he doesn't have to be an Avenger, that he doesn't need Stark's fancy toys.

The next movie immediately starts with him becoming an avenger and being saved by Stark. Fuck the messages of the other movie, right?

It's not about the story making sense. The story makes sense. It's about the story meaning something. The MCU constantly undermines its own messages.
And him staying on the ship DOES give his story meaning and that he has learned from his own film. He even says so himself.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Tony's arc is primarily about a man suffering from addictions and how they often side rail what he "wants" to be doing. It's why he's constantly retiring and constantly coming back, he's addicted to being a hero despite bemoaning it.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The other way I was wondering... doesn't Fury says in Avengers 1 (that discussion scene before the big ship is raided) that Shield started developing those big weapons because they acknowledged there were superior aliens when Thor 1 happened? but he already knew about aliens way before from Cap.Marvel, so?

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
What's with the discussion of Steve kissing his niece? She's not his niece.

Also, as others already stated, the Iron Spider suit was to save Peter's life.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You're not wrong, and it's why I basically stopped caring about the MCU on a narrative or emotional level. For me it's just about exciting action.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yes but I was really, really hating on this thread. And considering 85% of it is about whether Clint holding a powerstone was a plothole or not, I was right.
Soul stone, and I'm pretty sure he was able to hold it because Natasha sacrificed herself. Be weird if the stone was like, "Yeah I know your best friend just killed herself so you could get me, but you also need to be super strong too!"

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed OP, reason why I have little interest with the threat compared to other brilliantly written super hero movies, because MCU contradicts itself all the time. Civil War for instance, it meant nothing, we had a thread about this earlier. Friends no long house mates, but still friends nonetheless. Useless film.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The other way I was wondering... doesn't Fury says in Avengers 1 (that discussion scene before the big ship is raided) that Shield started developing those big weapons because they acknowledged there were superior aliens when Thor 1 happened? but he already knew about aliens way before from Cap.Marvel, so?

That's a plot hole and a justifiable one. We're talking about narrative consistency in messages, and across movies happening one directly after the other, not 10 years from each other.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised OP didn't mention War Machine.

Last scene of Civil War: I signed the accords because I believed it's the right thing, and I still haven't changed my mind.

First scene in Infinity War: Actually no screw the accords I already paid the price for that

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hulk got done the absolute dirtiest. Civil War is also a big narrative distraction, lots of potential that feels like it wasn't followed up on.

Ironically the characters just out of the limelight feel like they got the best narrative arcs, like Nebula.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
You could argue if Civil War hadn't happened they would've beat Thanos in IW, and the five year time jump wouldn't have happened. It's because the Avengers were fractured that they lost. Who knows who would've lived and died in that scenario

Civil War is absolutely important

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Of course he never does. But Iron Man 2 is about him stopping before Iron Man kills him, Iron Man 3 is about him stopping before his ego and PTSD kill him, Age of Ultron is about stop trying to save the world before he kills everyone, Civil War is about stopping before he kills his friends... It seems like the majority of Iron Man movies are about him not wanting to be Iron Man. In Endgame, what he does is stop fighting and become a family man.

In Age of Ultron he has a very specific line of dialogue when he's justifying what him and Banner did (I think it's when he and Cap were chopping wood, did I mention Ultron was one of the movie that really let the characters interact, for all its flaws?) where he says that the point of the Avengers initiative was going home and stopping having to do what they do. The guy has been wanting out ever since the second movie. He just can't manage to quit. And this conflict is resetted at every movie.

Neither of those are about him stopping, but about him *handling his powers properly*. Iron Man 3, especially, is about how much of an arrogant shithead he's grown to be, and outliving that, as well as his PTSD from the battle of New York. It was all about breaking out of his shell, and then he realized, he doesn't need all those artificial crutches, he *is* Iron Man.

He hasn't been "wanting out", in fact, one of his key character traits that was *resolved* in Endgame, is that he finally learned to quit trying to be "the shield around earth" and shouldering all those damn responsibilities.

Iron Man's entire arc is about power and balance.

Also, for all those people complaining about holding the stones: Only the Power Stone has been shown to ever damage the user through contact.

Reality was literally INSIDE of Jane, that's why it did slow damage to her body, and the only time Space ever "damaged" anyone, was when the Skull tried to actually USE the Cosmic Cube, which isn't, in itself, a Stone, but a Stone contained in something meant to make it more controllable.

And if you pay attention to Thanos when he pulls out the Power Stone to punch Captain Marvel with it, it surges through his hand and arms, damaging and affecting his flesh while handled with bare hands.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I was going to go over the complaints one by one, but it's easier for me to just say that much of what you're complaining about changes due to context, and for some others, it seems like you just didn't pay attention.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Last scene of Civil War: I signed the accords because I believed it's the right thing, and I still haven't changed my mind.

First scene in Infinity War: Actually no screw the accords I already paid the price for that

Right. But as I said, it's everywhere.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's a plot hole and a justifiable one. We're talking about narrative consistency in messages, and across movies happening one directly after the other, not 10 years from each other.

yeah you're right, but this thread just made me remember about it.

Yeah Rodhey last scene in CW was weird in that regard, even Tony realized the accords were kinda BS.

Soul stone, and I'm pretty sure he was able to hold it because Natasha sacrificed herself. Be weird if the stone was like, "Yeah I know your best friend just killed herself so you could get me, but you also need to be super strong too!"

I simply thing that the Soul Stone doesn't kill you at touch like the Power Stone. Possibly each stone has different effects on you.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed OP, reason why I have little interest with the threat compared to other brilliantly written super hero movies, because MCU contradicts itself all the time. Civil War for instance, it meant nothing, we had a thread about this earlier. Friends no long house mates, but still friends nonetheless. Useless film.
Cap was stuck in hiding for years because of Civil War. At the beginning of Endgame, Tony was very clearly not his friend. It took 5 years after that for them to make up. You can call it useless but they might've beat Thanos if they were never split up from Civil War.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You could argue if Civil War hadn't happened they would've beat Thanos in IW, and the five year time jump wouldn't have happened. It's because the Avengers were fractured that they lost. Who knows who would've lived and died in that scenario

Civil War is absolutely important

Civil War is very important and while not flawless it's probably the single movie that is more consistently acknowledged in the following ones.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No it doesn't. Parker even says himself; "what good is a neighborhood spider-man if there is no neighborhood?"

I think you don't really get it. The problem isn't Infinity War, it's Homecoming ending the way it does when they fully knew IW was next.

The fact that the movie directly acknowledges how the ending to the previous movie meant nothing in the big scheme is damning, not absolving.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
okay so in Avengers 1 thor out of nowhere is like "loki has an evil space army called the chitauri, and he's here to conquer earth"

how does he know that, did he read the script

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
But wait, maybe it's a coronation of the other character arc, him not needing Hulk? Nope, he needs Hulk all day, every day. He's 100% Hulk now. Go figure

Banner explains it. He treated Hulk like a disease but was quick to use him as an emergency button.

The conclusion was for him to accept he's both. And he was able to contribute being the only who could use the gauntlet without dying. He doesn't need to fight Thanos. As shown by his parody of Hulk rampage in 2012 NYC, he's not like that anymore.

Literally the next thing we see Spiderman do is interact with Tony Stark and wearing the Iron Spider suit. Look guys, I know you want him in the Avengers, and you need him there, but then DON'T MAKE AN ENTIRE MOVIE ABOUT HIM REALIZING HE DOESN'T NEED TO BE AN AVENGER

He didn't need to be an Avenger or have the Iron Spider suit.

But shit happens and Tony used to literally saved his life. By IW it was all hands on deck and Peter proved himself useful again so Tony brought him into the Avengers because desperate times call for desperate measures.

It's not that Peter needed Avengers, it's that the Avengers needed Spidey.

Shall we touch on Tony Stark basically retiring at the end of every movie he's in? Iron Man 3 ends with him blowing all his suits. The very next movie, he has 3 new ones. And again, the blame isn't on Age of Ultron. They knew he'd be in it. They knew the point of Iron Man is making new, amazing suits. So why make an entire movie about him not needing to be a hero and not needing to use suits? Why make him remove the arc reactor?

As Pepper says, she could never get Tony to stop.

He IS Iron Man. He doesn't need it, but as his dad says put the greater good above yourself.

Tony IS Iron Man because that's how he contributes the most.
Natasha... poor Natasha. Where do we start? Oh, let's start from Banner. They're a thing, yes. She's going to appear in 3 movies after Ultron, he appears in 3 (or 4? I'd need to recount). You see both of them in 2 of them. They NEVER interact again. No closure, no acknowledgement. Nothing. It's the umpteen "let's have this thing in this movie that is a big shock, and then let's forget about it because we don't want to actually have a narrative here"

To me that shows that Natasha is broken and isn't cut out for relationships. It's also more on Banner running away from everyone.

Nick Fury needs to leave after Winter Soldier. No more Shield, it's time to go undercover. Next movie he shows up to brief the heroes, still has all his contacts, he comes with the fucking Helicarrier

You can take the SHIELD out of Fury but you can't take the Fury out of SHIELD.

Winter Soldier was about destroying SHIELD as an organization, Nick sort of reformed it with trusted people.

Steve makes out with his niece, and then she disappears from the story. What was that all about? Why?

That was Steve trying relationships and it didn't work out I guess.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Civil War is very important and while not flawless it's probably the single movie that is more consistently acknowledged in the following ones.
Exactly. Tony and Cap don't even make up til a third through Endgame. Between Civil War and then, that's like 7 years. They were not talking to each other longer than their entire friendship
I think you don't really get it. The problem isn't Infinity War, it's Homecoming ending the way it does when they fully knew IW was next.

The fact that the movie directly acknowledges how the ending to the previous movie meant nothing in the big scheme is damning, not absolving.
It's not like Peter says he never wants to be an Avenger, just that he wants to stay on the ground longer. Tony thrusts all that on him when Thanos shows up. What do you want him to do, get back on the bus?

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Cap was stuck in hiding for years because of Civil War. At the beginning of Endgame, Tony was very clearly not his friend. It took 5 years after that for them to make up. You can call it useless but they might've beat Thanos if they were never split up from Civil War.

Tony was smiling at Steve's letter at the very end of Civil War, and it's strongly implied Tony was sabotaging attempts to find and arrest the rogue Avengers.

He has a meltdown at the beginning of Endgame because he starved for 23 days, thought he was about to die, was recently beaten and stabbed from an undefeatable opponent who killed half the universe's population including his pupil Peter, as the culmination of a nightmare that has been haunting him since Avengers 1.

He wasn't exactly in the best state of mind.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
37iWmcs.png

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to always be joined at the hip in order to fight threats ? Come on, sounds like a convenience for contrivance sake, Cap magically appeared to help out Vision, so he was always around.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hey look, it's another person who totally whiffed on what the ending of Iron Man 3 meant. movie literally ends with him saying "I am Iron Man" but, sure, that movie was about him retiring so it's totally weird that he didn't!

also I, too, would have rather had Pete die leaving the earth's atmosphere rather than Stark shooting the suit out to him so he wouldn't die. makes sense.

you missed the point of Hulk too, I guess. he actually found the balance between he and Hulk. he's not always angry anymore. remember "that's my secret Cap"? turns out after taking the biggest L of his life to Thanos, twice, he reconciled with Hulk and now he's not angry all the time anymore. neat!

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's not like Peter says he never wants to be an Avenger, just that he wants to stay on the ground longer. Tony thrusts all that on him when Thanos shows up. What do you want him to do, get back on the bus?

No, I wanted writers who probably know the schedule and plots of the next 5 upcoming movies not to make Homecoming's story about him "staying on the ground a bit more" if the next thing we saw him doing was FLYING INTO SPACE.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Time happens between these movies and characters evolve off screen.

It isn't like IW happens a day or two after Homecoming ends.

No, I wanted writers who probably know the schedule and plots of the next 5 upcoming movies not to make Homecoming's story about him "staying on the ground a bit more" if the next thing we saw him doing was FLYING INTO SPACE.
See above.

And again, you are acting like Parker wasn't on the ground for longer.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony was smiling at Steve's letter at the very end of Civil War, and it's strongly implied Tony was sabotaging attempts to find and arrest the rogue Avengers.

He has a meltdown at the beginning of Endgame because he starved for 23 days, thought he was about to die, was recently beaten and stabbed from an undefeatable opponent who killed half the universe's population including his pupil Peter, as the culmination of a nightmare that has been haunting him since Avengers 1.

He wasn't exactly in the best state of mind.

Sure, he was in a bad state at the beginning. But he still put all the blame on Cap. We didn't see them be civil again until after the timeskip.

They need to always be joined at the hip in order to fight threats ? Come on, sounds like a convenience for contrivance sake, Cap magically appeared to help out Vision, so he was always around.

Cap appeared because Vision was with Wanda, who was in hiding with them. And yes, they do, because they lost when apart, and won together.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England

In fairness to Rhodes, by the time he says this there's been a giant alien ship over both New York and Edinburgh, and Tony has going missing. That seems like it'd be enough, like they'd be significant enough events to change his mind.

The funny thing about this complaint, however, is that I think the MCU was more guilty of it with the first two Avengers movies. There you have this sort of push-and-pull, where there's a status quo set after Avengers - and then we have Iron Man 3, Cap 2 and Thor 2. Now, Thor 2 is largely inconsequential, but Cap 2 and IM3 have major implications for characters and organizations. But because Age of Ultron is a sequel to Avengers, it brushes past a lot of those.

So you've got Tony, having blown up his suits, completely happily and non-reluctantly going on Avengers missions. More than that, though, you've got him building hundreds of suits. SHIELD is destroyed, but there's Jackson at the end with a Helicarrier anyway, etc. This is even true at a character level where it really feels like Black Widow changed in Winter Soldier, but come AOU she's back to where she was at the end of Avengers. It always felt like they didn't want to really take major developments from the solo films on board in case it scared away fans of just the team-up movies, as the box office indicated such people clearly existed.

In Phase 3 that worry seemed to shrink and disappear entirely, though, and I feel like those sorts of things are a lot less common or noticeable in anything after AOU.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
It's true, the MCU is pretty good at continuity on a plot level (there are issues, but not nearly as many as you'd expect over 22 films), but not nearly as good at continuity of characterization or themes. Personally, my biggest gripe is how the Russos and Markus/McFeely handled Thor post-Ragnarok (he gets his eye back! He needs a weapon again for no reason! he turns his back on being king, which the ending of Ragnarok successfully sells as the culmination of his entire character up to that point!).

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. Exactly my biggest issue with the MCU. It's louded as this big storytelling experiment, but when you poke at it, it all falls apart pretty quickly because there is so little consistency on a character level. Infinity War already lost me when Spidey, who in Homecoming completed the arc realising he's okay with being just friendly neighbourhood spider-man, who doesn't need to be an Avenger, starts immediatly eyeing that Avengers-role again, and getting it the minute after.

Don't get me wrong, I like the MCU for what it is, but I generally like the stand-alone(ish) stories way better because this issue isn't present. The potential of a big cross-over universe with a narrative line trough it all often doesn't amount to more than cameo's and cross-overs, while on a story level it's not developped all that well. The whole Civil War should have been a huge shake up for the MCU, resonating strongly in the next team-up film and generating drama, but Infinity War only handles it on a surface level, failing to force Cap and Iron Man to resolve their issue, and in Endgame they resolve it in a single scene, not really making it an issue at all really. We don't ever really explore what the shism means for Cap or Tony. We should've gotten a Cap-movie after Civil War exploring the fall-out, but we swiftly went to the Infinity War.
And the main line troughout all the movies are the Infinity Stones, which are mere McGuffins in stead of a real story thread.

And yes, it's baffling the MCU is praised for its storytelling, while the new Star Wars trilogy gets shit on for suposed inconsistancies, while TLJ is an absolutely logical follow-up on the storylines and character arcs set-up in TFA, without obvious inconsistancies at all (even Rey's lineage is adressed in TFA as unimportant, in the text, not even in subtext). You can point to Snoke or the Knights of Ren as stuff that got sidelined or seemingly not payed of (though I'll argue killing of Snoke was what the story and Kylo needed), but we still don't know what TROS will do (The Knights seem to make a return at least).
And the argument Star Wars is only two or three movies doesn't stand either, because the inconsistancies in the MCU are often also just between two or three movies.

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hey look, it's another person who totally whiffed on what the ending of Iron Man 3 meant. movie literally ends with him saying "I am Iron Man" but, sure, that movie was about him retiring so it's totally weird that he didn't!

Ehm. Iron Man 3. The Shane Black movie. Shane Black, RDJ's friend. You do know that that movie ends the way it does because it was a time where both RDJ and the MCU leadership were considering ending their partnership?

Now, the movie doesn't scream "I'll never be Iron Man again" because everything was up in the air, but notice how if Tony exited the MCU there, the last thing he'd say would have been "I am Iron Man". And his last words in Endgame? Coincidence? I think not.

also I, too, would have rather had Pete die leaving the earth's atmosphere rather than Stark shooting the suit out to him so he wouldn't die. makes sense.

What's this? Really, why. Why?

you missed the point of Hulk too, I guess. he actually found the balance between he and Hulk. he's not always angry anymore. remember "that's my secret Cap"? turns out after taking the biggest L of his life to Thanos, twice, he reconciled with Hulk and now he's not angry all the time anymore. neat!

Replied to this already. You're LTTP.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Against Thanos a united front was better than the fractured shit they did in IW. "Cap magically appears" Huh? He was already on the battlefield in Wakanda and as we saw, dude can move. It feels like you guys are purposefully ignoring things or don't pay attention
Well first off, I don't agree with what you're saying about the movies undermining each other. The story of Homecoming was him learning to be comfortable in his own skin, to not rush to grow up. He did that, nothing in IW takes away from that lesson he learned in Homecoming.

It sounds like you want him to not fight against Thanos because he said he didn't want to be an Avenger. He was gonna fight against Thanos anyway, regardless. That's what a hero does. In the context of the movie it all made sense to me

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
okay so in thor 1: the thor 2 prequel we see the infinity gauntlet in asgard because they had just started making these movies and having a story line in which a bad darkseid ripoff who's horny for a skeleton collects the chaos emeralds seemed stupid as hell

then in Avengers 2: This Movie is Still Going? at the end thanos goes "fine i'll do it myself" and opens up a thing and pulls out his real gauntlet

then in thor 3/hulk 2: thor harder, goth gf galadriel sees the original gauntlet and goes "fake" to make fun of the plot hole

but then in infinity war thor goes to peter dinklage and they're like "ahh he killed all the space dwarves and made us make him the gauntlet, why didn't you protect us" and thor is like all "oh asgard got blown up by a balrog last week" but thanos clearly had the power glove years ago in the avengers 2 credits thing so asgard really was full of shit and not paying attention to the dwarves. but if peter dinklage only made the gauntlet for him a little while ago, how would Hella Cool know that the gauntlet in the vault was a fake. like maybe she'd know the stones were fake but what is fake about the gauntlet

just my two cents

OP
OP
Visanideth

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's true, the MCU is pretty good at continuity on a plot level (there are issues, but not nearly as many as you'd expect over 22 films), but not nearly as good at continuity of characterization or themes. Personally, my biggest gripe is how the Russos and Markus/McFeely handled Thor post-Ragnarok (he gets his eye back! He needs a weapon again for no reason! he turns his back on being king, which the ending of Ragnarok successfully sells as the culmination of his entire character up to that point!).

I didn't touch Thor because while he's constantly done dirty, Ragnarok is one of my favourite movies in the MCU and while I don't like how he was treated in Endgame, the "even with depression you can still be worthy" was a powerful message that I appreciated.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Against Thanos a united front was better than the fractured shit they did in IW. "Cap magically appears" Huh? He was already on the battlefield in Wakanda and as we saw, dude can move. It feels like you guys are purposefully ignoring things or don't pay attention
Heads up, he's talking about appearing in Edinburgh I believe.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
One thing stuff like this has made me realize is that people don't realize that the MCU movies play mostly in real time.

Not always but generally.

Like Rhodey showing annoyance at the Accords in IW is 2 years after the fact. It wasn't a few months or days, but 2 years to actually live with it. Feelings change.

Spider-man didn't reject joining the Avengers and then a week later go to Space, it was almost a year after.