Thoughts on wearing masks in public, outside of public health reasons?

• I like wearing masks, and I think I look cool too!

Votes: 509 40.7%
  • I do not like wearing masks for any reason (I will stop wearing them after pandemic)

Votes: 610 48.7%
  • Other

Votes: 133 10.6%

• Total voters

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno. I like wearing them in public since it keeps you a bit anonymous, and I like that they keep my face warm in the winter.

I'll probably stop wearing them once it's safe enough to do so, except for conventions or other places with high traffic.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The OP does have a pretty good explanation of one reason, as a woman in my (and their) experience, especially in uncommon mask wearing times, you're going to have less of a male gaze and unwanted male attention/catcalling/trying to pin you in a corner on public transport to make you talk to them.

In my experience in uncommon mask wearing times, those types of men actively avoid you. And that's... Honestly really refreshing. It's nice to feel a little safer
True enough, that kind of thing never crosses my mind tbh. Poor that it has to take the potential for death to stop some people!

Sep 15, 2020
I plan on wearing them on the bus. People in general are extremely dumb on the bus. They don't cough/sneeze on their elbow. They smear their infected mucus everywhere. They speak (so spit) loudly.

At least I can stop some of the airborn shit with a mask. It's mostly to protect others but still protects you a bit. Will 100% wear them when I'm sick.

Not just the bus. Pretty much everywhere. At work, at the restaurant, and not enough people wash their hands.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I hate wearing them but will probably do so during future winter months to keep my face warm and protected from germs.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I will continue to wear masks. I've said for years that other countries are on to something. Plus I like hiding in public, same reason I listen to loud music.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
I hate them. I wear glasses. And if I have earbuds in, I feel like I'm underwater with everything covered up. But I wear them when I need to.

kingslunk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like wearing em. Especially because of allergies. Mowed the lawn the other day and didn't feel shit afterwards thanks to the mask.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I wore them for yard work the other day. I did it for dusting.

And if I ever get sick I will wear one. No reason to give the whole family a fucking cold, flu, etc.

RadioHeadAche

Oct 26, 2017
Wearing a mask only sucks when it's really hot, but otherwise I don't mind and probably will continue to after the pandemic.

CorKas64

Oct 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I don't like breathing in vehicle exhaust when I'm on the road, and it's helped keep my allergies at bay without having to take diphenhydramine everyday for my allergies.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like wearing a mask at all and the second this thing is over I'm putting all my masks in the trash.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Ideally masks would become normal on public transportation like subways. I haven't gotten sick at all since Covid began, not even a common cold. I guess that also had to do with not being in an office where viruses can easily spread but masks have clearly helped with ordinary illnesses as well.

y2dvd

Nov 14, 2017
I have a Scorpion and Spider-Man mask I like to throw on and the other masks kinda makes me feel like I'm a ninja lol, so I will continue to wear them commuting around.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think I'll be rocking a mask if I don't need to, but I feel like I look pretty hard when I wear one lol.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I'll definitely be wearing them at concerts, conventions and sporting events now
Pre covid smelling people's BO and stank ass breathes was awful and I remember so many people got sick during conventions so I'm grateful for masks in the future

that being said I wouldn't be surprised if they try to limit masks since it can pose a security risk if idiots abuse wearing masks and commit crimes

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind the way I look in them but I wear glasses and that's enough for me to hate wearing them and want to stop doing so at the earliest realistic time. No matter which trick I've tried, what solutions and films I've applied to my lenses, and what mask/covering/shemagh I've worn with different kinds of metal nose strips, my glasses still fog up 90% of the time.

I have exactly one mask that works when it's in the perfect position and I'm not moving my head or face around too much or talking a lot. I bought more from that mask maker and the new ones have different shapes and strips so I wasted money on the new ones.

If I'm sick in the future like in the winter or exposed to someone who is, I'd definitely consider wearing one in public. But I don'tgo anywhere while I'm sick, and if my wife or kids were sick I probably wouldn't be going out because I don't go anywhere really anyway. So...

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Definitely won't be wearing one when it's not required. It's going to do almost nothing anyway if everyone isn't wearing a mask.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I really like wearing a mask in places like the grocery store, a mall, any store with trash and a gross smell like wal-mart, in the waiting room for a doctor's appointment. Probably will to concerts too.

At more open area places or market places, I'd be okay without wearing a mask,. It's going to suck shit if places start banning masks once a larger chunk of the US populace is vaccinated. I'm prepared to mask up in places for the rest of my life.

KingFrost92

Oct 26, 2017
Oregon
I don't enjoy it. I like talking with people and interacting with my coworkers. Not having a reason to smile and take care of my skin has been pretty detrimental to my mental health, and the muffle drives me nuts when I can't understand other people and have to ask them to repeat themselves. Also, sucks super hard to wear one with glasses.

As soon as I get the all clear, I'm done with it. However, I do think that in situations where I need to go out and I'm not feeling well, I'll put it back on to be considerate of others, and would expect the same from others as well. I could also see myself using one at mass gatherings like work conventions, huge concerts, etc.

It's crazy to me now that I've worked in places where people had an awful flu and still came into the office. I'm hoping that will end as we come out the other end of this.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I have anxiety issues around my appearance so wearing a mask makes talking to people significantly easier. After a while it hurts my nose but it's nice talking to someone and feeling like a normal human being.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I wear glasses so it's a bit of a pain. I'll continue using them for flu and allergy seasons though.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, let's at least make masks required at any and all buffet tables for perpetuity, even if coronavirus cases are wished away by a genie tomorrow.

Feb 19, 2018
As a glasses wearer I cannot wait to be rid of the fucking things. I've tried a variety of masks, clips, anti-fogging wipes etc and none of that has been all that effective. I am constantly fiddling with my glasses while wearing a mask so I can still see what I'm doing while not letting them fog up too much.

Having said that I may well keep wearing them on public transport, particularly in flu season. I have enjoyed not having a cold every couple of months this year, though I know my own mask isn't much protection if nobody else is wearing one.

Oct 29, 2017
I will probably continue to wear masks even after the pandemic, honestly. That, more diligently washing my hands, and being more proactive about not touching my face, has actually all lead me to feeling better overall over the course of the last year. I've had days where I did not feel well or was sick, but never anything like a particularly bad cold or flu. I've also stayed at home most of the time like many others, but still.

Oct 27, 2017
If I travel on a plane / train or if it's required in certain places in certain countries, yeah. Outside of that, probably not.

DeBurgo

Oct 28, 2017
I like them but I never see them being accepted outside the pandemic situation here in the US. Hell, it's barely accepted in the actual pandemic situation. It's just not in the culture and in fact I predict people only getting really aggressive and shitty towards those that choose to continue wearing them. You might see some people in some more urban places in the US continuing to wear them but they'll become much less common. I bet a lot of businesses will ban them for people that don't have a reason to wear them, much like they ban people wearing hats/hoodies/sunglasses indoors because it makes people harder to identify.

PieOMy

Nov 15, 2018
Boston
I got influenza A and influenza B back to back in January 2020 right before Covid. Hit me like a truck and I never want to get sick like that again.

I'm working from home and wearing a mask forever.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
The mask thing has probably been a big contributed to my health over the pandemic. My allergies issues were diminished, never got sick, never even managed a sore throat over the last year. I'm inclined to keep them in semi regular use even after things return to a more pre-pandemic normal.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
When it's no longer recommended, I am so done with masks. I don't mind wearing it, but I don't enjoy it either.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
The OP does have a pretty good explanation of one reason, as a woman in my (and their) experience, especially in uncommon mask wearing times, you're going to have less of a male gaze and unwanted male attention/catcalling/trying to pin you in a corner on public transport to make you talk to them.

In my experience in uncommon mask wearing times, those types of men actively avoid you. And that's... Honestly really refreshing. It's nice to feel a little safer

It's almost too bad that you wont be able to wear one when this is all over because it will feel weird and also you will probably get weird reactions from people.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
as someone with a medium length beard that covers every millimetre of their face, masks are uncomfortable and messes up my beard and leaves indentations in my beard, especially from the strings. and i can't wear a ffp2 mask, it's ineffective, so i wear a surgical mask. i'm glad in my state in germany ffp2 isn't mandatory, only surgical or ffp2 are allowed, because if you have a beard, a ffp2 mask can't fit properly and is actually more ineffective than a surgical mask is for a beard, which is why bavaria's rule for ffp2 only is stupid

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, can't wait to be done with them. Would consider wearing one going forward if I'm sick, that's it.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
Ever since I had to wear masks in public I haven't had one case of catching a cold. Not one. Every year prior I would catch a cold 2 or 3 times a year. I might continue wearing masks around people just for that reason alone.
Same here, and the past two years prior to COVID, I lost my voice twice during both the cold/flu seasons. So I'll definitely be wearing a mask during those times of the year moving forward.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'll wear a mask if I'm recovering from illness, and when I'm actively ill I'm going to just try to stay home with sick leave, which I'm fortunate enough to have access to. If I have to absolutely go out when I'm sick in future, I'll wear a mask.

But, nah, once the pandemic's over I'm not wearing it consistently anymore. I'll gladly comply while COVID-19 is still deemed a credible threat but once it passes, I would rather not.

I understand people who find them discomfortable because that's why I don't want to wear mine (I've tried at least 5 variants of masks over the past year and don't find any of them 100% comfortable), I just don't understand how people try to drum up huge conspiracy theories about the disease to justify not wearing them, or even worse, cry oppression about it... There's a good reason to wear them now.

But once I can go back to normal, I'd like to. I miss open emotional expression via faces, and just faces in general. I miss the few circumstances where breathing doesn't feel as comfortable as going mask-less -- I don't find myself short of breath from wearing a mask, but I miss the sensation of open "fresh" air going into my lungs and such, and I don't like how moisture builds on my face over time as I wear it. I find the occasional difficulty hearing or being heard to be a bit frustrating, though not enough to throw me into a temper tantrum or anything.