astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck retail. I give everyone working it a pass. They don't get paid enough to be happy at their job.
This.

Retail employees get a good deal of leeway from me. If they snap at me, say something bluntly, look disinterested, etc... I don't give it a second thought because I've worked retail enough to know they likely had a string of shitty customers that day to put them in the mood they're in, and even if they didn't the job is largely thankless and horribly paid.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno what to tell you: if you answer the phone with an answer to a question you don't know is gonna be asked (it's likely, but not a guarantee) you come off really sarcastic and annoying, as seen in the reaction by the customer.

/edit: I'm done, I'm clearly the only one who thinks this.
Nah I agree with you. I don't think the customer responded well but that greeting, likely or not, was unprofessional.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Prefabbed phone openings for situations like this are fine when there'd not an IVR already in place that can field it ahead of time. He should have rolled straight to asking how he could have helped instead of cutting it at the PS5 dismissal, though. It's just a mild coaching though not a call for his head, Jesus.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever worked a low wage job like this? I have. None of us take it seriously because we don't get paid enough to take it seriously.
This. When i worked retail and some one asked me to go check in the back, it just means I get 5 minutes off of the floor to do whatever i want. Go the bathroom, check my phone for texts/messages, etc. I'm not actually looking because I know we don't have it since your not the first person to ask, you like the 800th person to ask.

Plum

May 31, 2018
The venn diagram of "People who agree with the guy throwing slurs at a random customer service rep," and "People who have never worked retail," is very likely a circle.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I can't believe anyone is mad at the worker here. There really is a defense force for everything.
The venn diagram of "People who agree with the guy throwing slurs at a random customer service rep," and "People who have never worked retail," is very likely a circle.
Yeah. I've worked retail and that would be me working in electronics hell I'm pretty sure def had times just had to say that after several calls tell people straight up we don't have x. The customer was an idiot lol.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Why was it unprofessional? How is it any different than an automated system stating someone prior to the person calling in.
Its not. It more than likely want he is told to say when he answers the phone. Every retail job has a script you have to say when you answer the phone. He was probably trained on saying "We do not have any ps5s" when he answers the phone. Maybe he could be more enthusiastic when he says it, but whatever that's being nit picky. Literally nothing unprofessional with that greeting.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck that customer for reacting that way. We still get people every day asking if we have any PS5's, when we quickly inform them we don't have any they ask us to look in the back. And even then they tell us it's our fault and that they'll never visit our store ever again. Alright then?

I'd love to see some of y'all work at retail from October until January.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Its not. It more than likely want he is told to say when he answers the phone. Every retail job has a script you have to say when you answer the phone. He was probably trained on saying "We do not have any ps5s" when he answers the phone. Maybe he could be more enthusiastic when he says it, but whatever that's being nit picky. Literally nothing unprofessional with that greeting.
Starting to see who are people who have never worked a retail job in their life. Customers in many cases are assholes about hot items, and anything to try and not waste our time is a good thing. Lol.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
That is awful customer service, I know it comes with the youth(not always) but cmon. You don't just jump out at the negative to open a call like that. Customer Service 101.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I used to work at Walmart. If the employee says they don't have something without even checking, it's a 50/50. Most employees can't be bothered to go check the back. I actually asked if they had Switch Lites at one point, and the employee said no. Asked him to go check, he came back a couple of minutes later and said they were out. Went to the back myself since I worked there and found it almost immediately. They just hadn't stocked that pallet. Always ask.

And before anyone says it, this was last year and they were supposed to have been put out the night before.

Edit: Woops, meant to quote someone here. Either way, point still stands. Post above me beat me to it.
This is a very accurate description of my electronics shopping experiences at Wal-Mart. Sometimes would talk to 3 different employees before somebody would get an item from the stock room. Like, I'd do it myself if I could, I don't want to pester the staff

AliR7

Oct 29, 2017
I used to work at Walmart. If the employee says they don't have something without even checking, it's a 50/50. Most employees can't be bothered to go check the back. I actually asked if they had Switch Lites at one point, and the employee said no. Asked him to go check, he came back a couple of minutes later and said they were out. Went to the back myself since I worked there and found it almost immediately. They just hadn't stocked that pallet. Always ask.

And before anyone says it, this was last year and they were supposed to have been put out the night before.

Edit: Woops, meant to quote someone here. Either way, point still stands. Post above me beat me to it.

This past weekend we went to Target that supposedly had limited stock of the Switch units available per the Target App. Went to the electronics section there was nothing on the shelf so I asked the girl walking around the key if they had anymore units available because their website was showing the may have some. She quickly told me no and said they are out of stock. My girlfriend went up to a different Target person and he told her yea we have a couple left went to the back and wala! A new Switch.

I don't think either of us asked them to go check the back specifically just 1 of them cared a little more than the other I guess.

Last edited:

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Why was it unprofessional? How is it any different than an automated system stating something prior to the person calling in talking to a person.
You don't assume that is what they are asking, you have to open with a generic intro that is inviting their question, regardless of what it is. Not every single electronic call has to be based around the PS5, some may want store hours or ask about the XBOX Series X. You would never know though the way this worker opened the call, especially when he had his coworkers/friends giggling in the background.

Customer probably should not have ended the call the way they did but that is a rude introduction.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
That is awful customer service, I know it comes with the youth(not always) but cmon. You don't just jump out at the negative to open a call like that. Customer Service 101.
No. It's not. I worked in retail management for almost twenty years, and I can tell you, the people getting mad at a greeting saying whatever hot thing they're calling for is not in stock aren't mad because of the greeting. They're going to be shitty either way. And telling someone you don't have something right off the bat isn't jumping to the negative. It's a factual statement. Just because the customer isn't happy doesn't mean it's negative.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Why get angry in the first place? You can just ignore the PS5 bit and start asking your question to CS. The customer decided to get pissy about it and called them the r word.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
No. It's not. I worked in retail management for almost twenty years, and I can tell you, the people getting mad at a greeting saying whatever hot thing they're calling for is not in stock aren't mad because of the greeting. They're going to be shitty either way. And telling someone you don't have something right off the bat isn't jumping to the negative. It's a factual statement. Just because the customer isn't happy doesn't mean it's negative.
He asked for the rep to repeat the question, he didn't jump out at him right away. I also currently work customer service in an government body and take calls daily and answer to the public 35 hours a week. Maybe I am wrong but I assume "no we dont have any PS5's' isn't the greeting that customers waiting on hold for _____ time get. It just dismisses the call altogether, you can't assume every single person is calling over that.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Why get angry in the first place? You can just ignore the PS5 bit and start asking your question to CS. The customer decided to get pissy about it and called them the r word.
Who knows the hold time, I don't take it out on CS as I do it myself and I am the type of person who asks for surveys for good customer service or am complimentary for people who do their job. We have a hold time of 90 minutes so I try and be as empathetic and helpful as I possibly can. Customer asked him to repeat the intro, and he did it the same exact way, customer gave him a chance before jumping in(Albeit nasty but I assume he heard the giggling over the phone which is rude)

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
He asked for the rep to repeat the question, he didn't jump out at him right away. I also currently work customer service in an government body and take calls daily and answer to the public 35 hours a week. Maybe I am wrong but I assume "no we dont have any PS5's' isn't the greeting that customers waiting on hold for _____ time get. It just dismisses the call altogether, you can't assume every single person is calling over that.
If the customer wasn't calling for a PS5, do you honestly think this interaction would've happened like this?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yeah, that employee wanders into the back, paces for a minute, checks some texts, comes back out and goes "nope, sorry, fresh out."

"Can you check in the back" is the hallmark catchphrase for folks who have never worked in a retail shop and have no idea how it goes.
I've had multiple instances of Best Buy employees "checking the back" for me and finding the item in question.
Sure, I'm not the one who asked them to check the back, I only asked where I could find the item, and they ended up finding it in the back, but still, it happens.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Who knows the hold time, I don't take it out on CS as I do it myself and I am the type of person who asks for surveys for good customer service or am complimentary for people who do their job. We have a hold time of 90 minutes so I try and be as empathetic and helpful as I possibly can. Customer asked him to repeat the intro, and he did it the same exact way, customer gave him a chance before jumping in(Albeit nasty but I assume he heard the giggling over the phone which is rude)
Alright why get angry? Just ask your damn question if the PS5 plug in the intro doesn't pertain to you? I worked at a pharmacy and had to plug in that we were sold out of TP, hand sanitizer, etc. PS5 is the hot item that's very hard to find, so it's expected to get tons of calls in electronics for that.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
personally I didn't find it funny but why the fuck are some of you guys calling for him to lose his job? these small moments are probably the only time they can have some sort of fun. try working in retail during the holiday season. IT IS HELL!

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Alright why get angry? Just ask your damn question if the PS5 plug in the intro doesn't pertain to you? I worked at a pharmacy and had to plug in that we were sold out of TP, hand sanitizer, etc. PS5 is the hot item that's very hard to find, so it's expected to get tons of calls in electronics for that.
I agree I would ignore and shake off the representative but that doesn't mean this was good customer service or he was doing a good job, glad the representative got called out for it but I guess he sees it as "lol" and sees this will get views so maybe not.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
There was nothing wrong with the customer service rep preemptively stating the status of the #1 in-demand item. He does not deserve to "get fired."

The customer was wrong to call the rep a retard.

The rep was wrong to post this video on YouTube unless he had the customer's permission.

That's all folks.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Asking to reprimand an electronics guy for opening his call by saying there aren't any PS5s? Lol. Says a lot about people not even addressing the customers slurs but instead demanding the dude take his job seriously at walmart.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Starting to see who are people who have never worked a retail job in their life. Customers in many cases are assholes about hot items, and anything to try and not waste our time is a good thing. Lol.
Yes. Its very clear who has and hasn't worked in retail.
You do realize that the CS was trained to say this right? Every retail store has a standard greeting and saying 'we don't have any ps5's' is apart of the standard greeting. In retail, they normally change the standard greeting during the holiday anyway and this is no different. Its probably done so that they don't waste time asking about ps5 when they have none in stock. Granted, they should probably have the ivr do that but not everyone listens to the ivr. They just mash buttons until they get an actual live person so they are more than likely trained to say "we don't have any ps5s" when they pick up the call.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
You don't assume that is what they are asking, you have to open with a generic intro that is inviting their question, regardless of what it is. Not every single electronic call has to be based around the PS5, some may want store hours or ask about the XBOX Series X. You would never know though the way this worker opened the call, especially when he had his coworkers/friends giggling in the background.

Customer probably should not have ended the call the way they did but that is a rude introduction.

Are you seriously suggesting the customer "probably" shouldn't have called the rep the R word for starting the call off stating the PS5 was out of stock?

There is no justification in the world to use it let alone being told that one of the most sought after gaming devices in the world is out of stock a few days before Xmas.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Are you seriously suggesting the customer "probably" shouldn't have called the rep the R word for starting the call off stating the PS5 was out of stock?

There is no justification in the world to use it let alone being told that one of the most sought after gaming devices in the world is out of stock a few days before Xmas.
Yeah he should not have, rep probably should have took the caller more seriously instead of giggling with his coworkers or friends too. I would be pissed as a caller but the caller overreacted.

Oct 27, 2017

Customer said how do you know that was what he was calling about? Could be XBOX question or TV or phone related questions, who knows. Employee was positive it was a PS5 question though.
It is not rude. Are you aware of the issues Wal-Mart stores had with people trying to get these to things. The directive came from above. It's Wal-Mart, which is a volume, not service based company. If probably more than 25% of the calls came in for ps5 to the electronic section then the ps5 introduction isn't unwarranted. We hear automated system saying the same thing all the time. This is someone calling Wal-Mart not a fine establishment where different protocols would be different. At the end of the day Wal-Mart is a company built by margins. Which is indicative of the service and quality of items you get. Should the kid probably asked how they could help after the PS5 statement, sure.

On the other side of things, the problem is with consumers and the expectation that they can act however they want.

"Customer probably should not have ended the call the way"

There is no probably to it. The person calling in, was an asshole straight up.

WillRobBanks

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When I worked at GameStop it was the same...

"Thank you for calling GameStop, we are currently sold out of Xbox 360. How can I help you?"

most responses - "uhh ok thanks. Bye!"

"Thank you for calling GameStop where we do have Madden in stock. How can I help you?"

split responses between "uhh ok thanks" and "Do you have madden?"

Oct 26, 2017
The retail worker could have done a hell of a lot worse than that and I'd have sided with them. I worked food retail for a little over four years, and over five Christmas seasons. I've seen what you fuckers get like when we don't fellate you at every turn. With everything retail workers have done for us this year, and with the way customers behave from around mid November onwards, I'd give them a pass to execute every tenth one of you.

Fuck customers.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There was nothing wrong with the customer service rep preemptively stating the status of the #1 in-demand item. He does not deserve to "get fired."

The customer was wrong to call the rep a retard.

The rep was wrong to post this video on YouTube unless he had the customer's permission.

That's all folks.

Customers permission? Idk. Damn near all the videos being posted about Karen's (all from the US) aren't with their permission, exposing customers overreacting on some dumb shit. It's a one party consent thing depending on the jurisdiction and I'm guessing this rep is from the states.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
It is not rude. Are you aware of the issues Walmart stores had with people trying to get these to things. The directive came from above. It's Wal-Mart, which is a volume, not service based company. If probably more than 25% of the calls came in for ps5 to the electronic section then the ps5 introduction isn't unwarranted. We hear automated system saying the same thing all the time. This is someone calling Wal-Mart not a fine establishment where different protocols would be different. At the end of the day Wal-Mart is a company built by margins. Which is indicative of the service and quality of items you get. Should the kid probably asked how they could help after the PS5 statement, sure.

On the other side of things, the problem is with consumers and the expectation that they can act however they want.

"Customer probably should not have ended the call the way"

There is no probably to it. The person calling in, was an asshole straight up.
I don't know how you can take out of the video the representative was helpful and did a great job. They giggled over the phone, laughed at the customer's reaction and repeated the same exact greeting afterwords after being asked if they can repeat the question.

Oct 27, 2017
What a douche, he should be reprimanded for this and be sent on training. Very disrespectful. This is your job, I know it sucks; I'm in the same boat, but I would never pull shit like this.
At worst, they should not have recorded the video. That is, quite literally, it.

Pre-empting a question with an answer to a question which has been asked repeatedly that is very professional; it saves everybody's time and the company's resources and helps get through the volume. The representative was professional in dealing with the customer, pretty honest, and the worst thing they did was record a customer (which is not good, but how they actually handled the call is fine).

The customer's reaction is not at all justified and, if anything, they're just annoyed that their question isn't 'unique' and the answer is no. They are totally out of line.

Last edited:

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I know I shouldn't judge but I'm fairly sure anyone saying this dude should be fired is a horrible, miserable person and I'd never want to spend a second in their company.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how you can take out of the video the representative was helpful and did a great job. They giggled over the phone, laughed at the customer's reaction and repeated the same exact greeting afterwords after being asked if they can repeat the question.

When you're asked to repeat something do you usually say something different the second time? Sounds confusing.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What are you on about? Call went as follows:
  1. E: Hi, this is Electronics, we do not have any PS5s
  2. C: What
  3. E: This is Electronics
  4. C: What did you say before that?
  5. E: We do not have any PS5s
  6. C: How do you know that's my question?
    (At this point you hear their co-worker giggling in the background, because what else are you going to do?)
  7. E: Because everyone's called
  8. C: What makes you think imma say that?
  9. E: How can I help you?
  10. C: Yeah you're fuckin' r*******
  11. E: *Laughing*
If someone said that to me on the phone you're damn right I'm gonna laugh at them, professional sensibilities go out the window when you swear at me lol. And this is probably the 30-40th time they've gotten calls like this, so the guy probably said to his co-worker "Hey, I'm gonna record this because people are losing their minds over PS5s not being in stock".

Oct 27, 2017

Wow that's none of that really is what I said or really happened. Did you watch some alternate video that we aren't seeing?

1. I never said he did a great job

2. He wasn't the one giggling

3. And the person asked him what he said initially after answering and he repeated the answer.

Stop being the customer's apologist.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh and I'm pretty sure sure he's not saying 'retard'. Sounds to me like 'well you're a fuckin'... [British meat ball traditionally served in gravy]'.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Look, I'm sorry that Walmart person was rude to you, but it's probably time to move on.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
"Do you have PS5s?"

No.

"Can you go check?"

x1000

Yeah I'd get tired of that question too. I don't know how else you can rectify the influx of calls without jumping in front of it at the very beginning.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Wow that's none of that really is what I said or really happened. Did you watch some alternate video that we aren't seeing?

1. I never said he did a great job

2. He wasn't the one giggling

3. And the person asked him what he said initially after answering and he repeated the answer.

Stop being the customer's apologist.
We watched the same video. Where am I being an apologist? He set the call up with his friends to respond. You hear giggling over the phone, you assume it's a 1 on 1 call. I know the job sucks and again I have called customer service in the past and try and be good to people but this just seemed like a dismissive representative off the get go. We aren't disagreeing that the caller overreacted, just the rep jumped the gun by assuming he wanted to buy a PS5.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
What a douche, he should be reprimanded for this and be sent on training. Very disrespectful. This is your job, I know it sucks; I'm in the same boat, but I would never pull shit like this.
To be fair, having worked at EBGames (Canada) for 10+years, we were told to say that whenever we ran out of newly released consoles. I did the same for XB1, PS4 and Switch in recent last gen.
We watched the same video. Where am I being an apologist? He set the call up with his friends to respond. You hear giggling over the phone, you assume it's a 1 on 1 call. I know the job sucks and again I have called customer service in the past and try and be good to people but this just seemed like a dismissive representative off the get go. We aren't disagreeing that the caller overreacted, just the rep jumped the gun by assuming he wanted to buy a PS5.
It's not his fault if he jumped the gun if the last 100 calls were asking about the PS5. Had the same issue with the PS4 or Switch launches when I worked at EBGames. Everyone was asking for them, despite not having any in stock.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
We watched the same video. Where am I being an apologist? He set the call up with his friends to respond. I know the job sucks and again I have called customer service in the past and try and be good to people but this just seemed like a dismissive representative off the get go. We aren't disagreeing that the caller overreacted, just the rep jumped the gun by assuming he wanted to buy a PS5.
You missed the 20 or so other people in this thread saying that every store ever says for you to pre-empt calls like that when call volume is high for a specific thing.

This is how retail works, and it's really showing that you've never done it.