pargonta

Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Terrible customer service by the dude recording. just listened after reading some of the thread

I assumed it was this below by default and people were getting upset at nothing, but nah this was below average service performance. where was the "how may i help you?" //oh its at the end, what a douche

"this is the Walmart electronics department; unfortunately we don't have any PlayStation 5 units in stock at this time... how can I help you?"

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
PS9

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I did not expect this thread to still be going when I woke up today lol

BMW

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terrible customer service by the dude recording. just listened after reading some of the thread

I assumed it was this below by default and people were getting upset at nothing, but nah this was below average service performance. where was the "how may i help you?" //oh its at the end, what a douche

Boohoo. Do you want a foot rub as well? The call was perfectly fine. Caller just got salty.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The customer is the one who made this weird not the employee. Assuming that he didn't hear the guy at first after that should have been either a "thank you" or asking the fucking question the guy originally called for. Instead he got salty that the lowly retail employ dared presume what the call was about. The laughing didn't start really happening until the customer started acting like a little entitled fuck.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
There's absolutely nothing wrong with what he did. Retail employees have been doing that forever, it saves everyone time. Most even have a sign on the door regarding PS5s now. Imagine someone getting upset over that because it's not the reason they're walking into the store.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I've worked at both Walmart and Target. Shopped there too. There are absolutely plenty of times when we had an item in stock in the back that wasn't on the shelf because the shelved items had been grabbed.

It's one of the reasons we are allowed to carry the inventory scanners on us while we walk the store...I don't think I've ever really minded checking in the back nearly as much as you guys seem to in this thread, but I GUESS it can be annoying? Idk...

The customer in that phone call is an asshole. How are you mad about someone answering the question you clearly were gonna ask?...

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

lmao, is this a serious post?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I see this as a slightly cheeky "hello, this is IT, have you tried turning it on and off again" kind of deal
Y'all need to lighten up jesus

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If you take enough issue with an innocuous script reading to turn it into a confrontation when it likely saves the average customer, the company, and the front line employee a lot of time during an extremely busy season, you are the one being unreasonable.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
This dude would be my hero honestly. Answer my question before I even ask it? 10/10 my dude.

The people trying to shit on him obviously never call like, Gamestop lol. They do this kind of thing all the time. They're MANDATED to do something like this, frontloading the call with info. Except in this case it's actually useful.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
If they answered the phone and said "Electronics, we are open until 9pm on Christmas Eve" would you have the same reaction?

We know, absolutely nobody is getting angry about this question.

People only getting angry about the PS5 question because:

- they've never worked retail in their life
- they lack empathy
- they feel they're entitled to some kind of special service from retail employees

It's just forward resolution of issues a customer service concept as old as time itself and one that's part of many customer interactions, but only in this instance here are many choosing to call it rude?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I think it's totally fine to treat customers like that ...as long as you don't expect them to ever buy something at your store again. I know, I wouldn't.

Lol you can say this as much as you want but if someone answered the phone and told everyone on Era 'yep we got a PS5' in a way they hated, more than 90% of people going straight out to buy.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
At the most critical, I'd say that the employee should have rephrased "because everyone's called" to "because we've received a lot of calls about that item."

That line makes it come off a little curt as is, but the caller's reaction is way overblown and reads as more of them being embarrassed over asking such a inane question that is so common that it's become baked into the greeting, that they lashed out than rather anything the employee did ill. The ableist slur is the cherry on top that just makes the dude seem like a gigantic asshole.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
"In the back" was my favorite thing working retail, because it makes any customer lol worthy. Like, look, if we had more of that thing, it'd be out here so we could sell it and make money. It's not like we don't notice when an album or movie is low stock on the floor. Especially higher-volume stuff. (Yes, a traditional music store, so I'm kinda dating myself here)
Though, to be fair, ONE TIME there was actually something in the back, and it was on a technicality that the person wanted 2 while we had 1 left, and because it was restock day and we hadn't gotten to that part of the shipment yet that had another.

I'm of the opinion that all persons should be required to work at least a part-time job at both a retail and a service job at some point just so they fucking understand what those people go through. It would immediately start to improve overall civility.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Which part are you talking about? If it's the message about not having any PS5's then why? I can sort of understand having an issue with being recorded though.
It's about the "let's just make assumptions about what the customer needs help with and cut him off before he can ask his question" ...because time is money and we can't waste any on waiting 10 seconds for a guy to formulate his question to at least give the impression like we are nice and professional to our customers because we want them to like us and buy here again. Totally fine, but they're at risk that the customer sees this as not "saving everyone's time" and more as "impolite". Personally, I'm in the impolite camp.

And to everyone who made comments about my username: I have this username across most online forums and services since 1999 when I was 18. And also, I never said the employee should give a shit or owns it to anyone, not the customer, nor his boss, but he's running the risk of getting fired. If he doesn't care about his job anyway, then... perfect, whatever. I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't find it funny either as the customer. I like stores where I feel like employees enjoy it to help customers, for anything else I can just buy online. And yea, I know a PS5 is e special item where normal rules don't apply because of the higher desirability.

deadbass

Oct 27, 2017
It's about the "let's just make assumptions about what the customer needs help with and cut him off before he can ask his question" ...because time is money and we can't waste any on waiting 10 seconds for a guy to formulate his question to at least give the impression like we are nice and professional to our customers because we want them to like us and buy here again. Totally fine, but they're at risk that the customer sees this as not "saving everyone's time" and more as "impolite". Personally, I'm in the impolite camp.

And to everyone who made comments about my username: I have this username across most online forums and services since 1999 when I was 18. And also, I never said the employee should give a shit or owns it to anyone, not the customer, nor his boss, but he's running the risk of getting fired. If he doesn't care about his job anyway, then... perfect, whatever. I wouldn't be offended, but I wouldn't find it funny either as the customer. I like stores where I feel like employees enjoy it to help customers, for anything else I can just buy online. And yea, I know a PS5 is e special item where normal rules don't apply because of the higher desirability.

He didn't cut him off. And of course he doesn't run the risk of being fired - employees are often directed to ward off common questions in this way (source: years of experience in retail). If you think it's rude then your priorities are completely out of whack.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
He didn't cut him off. And of course he doesn't run the risk of being fired - employees are often directed to ward off common questions in this way (source: years of experience in retail). If you think it's rude then your priorities are completely out of whack.

Exactly this, esp. in CS depts. at this time of the year.

Wein Cruz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No one can stop you from incorrectly believing it was "impolite" even though it clearly wasn't.

Sometimes I wonder how some of y'all make it through a normal day of interacting with other humans in person.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
He probably could have been politer, but he wasn't rude at all, and it gets the info across.

I've not read all 14 pages but I assume he was recording it as most of the calls that day were asking for PS5s and he wanted to see if the next one would be too

The customer didn't have to insult him, and I'm suspicious of anyone who is rude to customer service workers. They're just there to get paid, it's lame to yell at them for things that are not their fault and they have no control over

Big Karen energy from anyone who thinks he should lose his job for this. This is low stakes shit.

Duck Sauce

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
United States
4gy2ck.jpg

Customer rep did nothing wrong.

Hello.

Jan 20, 2020
Jesus christ so many boomers in here. This is actually kinda sad.

Having worked electronics at Walmart before, this is standard. Highly sought-after item, people constantly calling in to ask the same question with the obvious answer, so just outright say it. If they didn't hear it, oh well.

Customer was a douchebag.

Also, he won't lose his job for this, believe me... lol. It's fucking walmart