• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But governments have always sought to improve the common welfare if only on the pragmatic grounds that a healthy population is more productive and more harmonious.
We distribute information for profit.

Sometimes we also do the "greater good" thing but mostly it's profit.

Heritage_Foundation_Sugars_Sweet_Deal.gif

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
There isn't one singular cause for all of this. It's the combination of a dozen different factors. It's not just education, policies, regulation, food science, health care, marketing, or capitalism- it's all of those things combined that are making these so bad.

Also: has someone already posted the "calories in calories out" line yet? we're 4 pages in, so it's gotta be here somewhere.

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
On the flip side, you're ignoring the billions spent on misinformation and advertising. Of it didn't work, it wouldn't be a multi-billion dollar industry that attempts to influence choices for profits.

That its all legal gives it stamp of approval of society and our culture, so can you really blame people that listen to that half?

Yes, if people have not figured out by now that Cookie Crisp for breakfast, Mickey Ds for lunch, and Dominoes for dinner is unhealthy then they need more than government assistance.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's actually the problem with Planet Fitness (I go there mind you). They don't have a lot of good workout equipment. It's mostly crappy machines and rows upon rows of treadmills. They don't maintain their equipment, their locker rooms are extremely bare bones, they have almost no overhead and no knowledgeable staff to help guide you. That's the reason they have such cheap memberships- their locations offer the absolute bare minimum in terms of features and services. Genius business model but as gyms go it's complete shit. Not knocking anyone who goes there (I go there myself and use their treadmills) but I hate that place LOL. Planet Fitness isn't trying to get anyone in shape. They want your $10 and hope you never show up

I guess it depends on the neighborhood sadly. I have been to a couple that aren't as good as my location.

You are right tho that they have no trainers or pros there... But I mean if you can only afford Planet Fitness it's not like you can just go to a place that has all those things and costs a lot more. It's the trade off. I suppose. In a good society there would be good gyms for everyone.

EDIT: At mine there is a ton of treadmills and other cardio equipment. I use the bikes personally. But there is also a decent amount of free weights and muscle specific machines.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
Could somebody explain why a lot of the commentary here is blaming governments for distributing bad information? I can't speak for America, but successive British governments have always sought to distribute the best available information. This has changed with context, from the wartime years when a serious worry was undernourishment and malnutrition, until the current era in which the obesity epidemic is the most important concern. But governments have always sought to improve the common welfare if only on the pragmatic grounds that a healthy population is more productive and more harmonious.
I think the government was why America went down the deadend path of think fats in food was the problem, which evolved into the whole focus on unsaturated/saturated/trans fats. Those are way lower on the list of health concerns than sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and they knew it, but those products also have the most political influence for whatever reason.

A news media afraid to anger their unhealthy food advertising money was also a big influence on that too, so it's not solely government.

Last edited:

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
"How did it happen? You'd be surprised."

"It's sugar."

I'm not surprised.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Yes, if people have not figured out by now that Cookie Crisp for breakfast, Mickey Ds for lunch, and Dominoes for dinner is unhealthy then they need more than government assistance.

I have a funny feeling that the people making decisions like that aren't making them because they think they're healthy, but that they're making them because they don't give a shit. Frankly I don't see why someone who's being drained by society should be concerned that their current habits will be a drain on society at some random later point in time. If society gave a shit they could actually do more than just moralize about the damn plight, y'know?

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Ugh. This shit's depressing, and I can feel myself getting fatter!

Think I'll go for a run right now and skip dinner!

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Interesting. I only wish I could trust something from the Heritage Foundation. They're notorious for their climate science denialism.
Oh sorry, I didn't realize it was a heritage picture. Seems like they dominate this space for reasons I'm unaware of. Let me try again:

sweetner-consumption-graph_h482.gif

Usda_sweeteners.png

Basically there is a lot of money involved in pushing sugar consumption and this builds up over time. The obesity epidemic is the result of macropolitical choices made decades ago.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Also: has someone already posted the "calories in calories out" line yet? we're 4 pages in, so it's gotta be here somewhere.

Have the laws of physics changed? Calories in, calories out is a truism, though for some people it may be quite difficult to sustain for long if their local food culture has been disrupted to the extent that pop tarts and flavoured yogurt are regular staples.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Food and car companies, actually.

Car companies are just as much liable in all of this as food companies. They exploit consumers psychology to convince all of us that buying a car is the only true way of 'making it' that we throw away all sensible urban planning wisdom and facts in favor of reliance on the car.

Basically unregulated capitalism with little protection for consumers is the problem.

There should be a government body that studies and regulates things that can affect consumer interest based on social behaviors instead of us being at the mercy of unregulated free market. Companies have psychologists and behavioral scientists working for them, consumers need some sort of shield against that.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
Have the laws of physics changed? Calories in, calories out is a truism, though for some people it may be quite difficult to sustain for long if their local food culture has been disrupted to the extent that pop tarts and flavoured yogurt are regular staples.
Calories in calories out is a real thing. Your body can't create fat from nothing. But the macronutrients you're eating also plays a role in what type of weight loss you'll achieve.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest obstacles to progress in this country is the fierce belief in personal responsibility.

Blaming mostly the individual instead of the system causes problems with healthcare, racism, sexism, welfare etc.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Calories in calories out is like an ICE car needing gasoline. All of them need it. They won't run otherwise, but each car is different in how efficient they use gas. There are also different kinds of gas, but again, all ICE cars need it in order to run.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People aren't robots. If they could control their intake/output like robots, we wouldn't have an obesity problem.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
People aren't robots. If they could control their intake/output like robots, we wouldn't have an obesity problem.
Robots can be manipulated into doing other things by other people who has a better understanding on how said robot works. I feel like this applies to humans too as companies do try to manipulate you. It's no accident that all fastfood companies have the color red prominent in their logo and why sugary cereals always has a cute mascot on the front of the box.

It's also no accident why all car commercials look and sound the same.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a nutritionist, a dietician, a medical professional or a personal trainer; I don't know anything about biology, anatomy or exercising... but I think, unless people are intravenously taking their food, eating is at the root of the cause. Call it a hunch.

Oct 25, 2017
Racoon City
I bet the same people on their high horse talking about personal responsibility and stop asking the government for help are the same people saying the government needs to step in about the opioid crisis

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I as a skinny person love American portion sizes.

But sug and stuff should be regulated or something

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
People's environment can have a huge impact on the way they act. This is basic stuff. I don't understand why there are still people talking about "personal responsibility" when we're talking about grand societal issues.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
People need to stop eating like shit and actually get some fucking exercise. A couple years ago I was working in the midwest and the elevators were down one day. The amount of people that couldn't actually walk up 4 flights of stairs was unbelievable. It was like watching a comedy but it was real life. Like people would walk up half a flight and rest because they had to catch their breath!

It's not that hard to stop eating shitty food. It's not hard to take a walk. Most people just don't give a shit. I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion here but instead of food stamps or EBT cards I believe there should be government markets where there is fresh produce and healthy foods. It blows me away the government will pay for people to buy cheetohs and soda. Also, parents. Its fucking child abuse to allow your kids to eat fast food everyday. Parents should be held responsible for having fat children. It's not ok and its setting their kids up for a lifetime of health problems and self esteem issues. I don't know how to incentivize parents to keep their kids healthy but something needs to be done. It's heartbreaking to see obese children.

Jun 10, 2018
I knew it! Once again.

Might just be anecdotal but at least for me when I cut back on Sugar I never gained weighed again. Didn't even exercise.
Same. And not just the sugars that are common like table sugar and HFCS, but also learning of the hidden sugars that are added in food, reading food labels, and avoiding those food products altogether.

I've posted about this before, but in the 3 months I started that dietary change spanning from November to January of this year I lost damn near 50 lbs and did it without going to the gym or exercising in any significant amount. Seeing that dramatic a change in not only my physiology but the elimination of all of the heartburn, joint pains, inflammation and increased blood pressure I was suffering from wholly convinced me that its sugar that's the problem, and we would do best to severely reduce our intake of it at all costs.

Subsequent reading/viewing of studies into the effects on excessive sugar in our bodies (which is what the American low fat diet is), as well as learning of the huge fat vs sugar battle waged in the 60s/70s that helped shaped our modern diets, only reaffirmed my belief.

Deleted member 6215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, you personal responsibility folks know that Twinkies are cheaper than spinach.

This is not true.

A bag of spinach costs $1.55 at ALDI. A box of Twinkies at Jewel-Osco cost $4.35. You can look these up on Instacart right now if you want.

Eating healthy isn't necessarily more expensive. This false narrative needs to end.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm genuinely shocked by how much garbage most people consume on a daily basis.

Like bro I eat like veggies and meat 95% of the time

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is not true.

A bag of spinach costs $1.55 at ALDI. A box of Twinkies at Jewel-Osco cost $4.35. You can look these up on Instacart right now if you want.

Eating healthy isn't necessarily more expensive. This false narrative needs to end.

You ever cook a bag of spinach? Barely serves one person as a side dish lol.

And it's not a false narrative when speaking of produce.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is not true.

I mean, there's 1300 calories in the box of twinkies and 65 calories in the bag of spinach (assuming 10oz). You would need to buy and prepare 20 bags of spinach to get the same caloric density. While most people won't pay attention to the caloric density, they will judge items based on "will this satisfy my hunger". A few twinkies, yeah, a bag of spinach, nope.

There's 260 calories in a twinkie and 231 calories in 140g of chicken breast (approximately 1 chicken breast).

We'd have a much better chance of tackling systemic obesity if eating a chicken breast was as trivial as popping a twinkie in your mouth.

Last edited:

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
This is not true.

Unless you're popeye you ain't just eating the spinach, add in the cost of other ingredients and the time cost for cooking. Plus it assumes someone has both in front of them and that they are choosing between a bag of spinach or a box of twinkies and not a twinkie or a bag of spinach, you aren't finding spinach at the mini mart, gotta gas up and drive to the grocery store, that's if you have a car, which might be way further away, or take the bus. How many twinkies are in a box, what is the caloric equivalent of that versus the spinach?

It's not a false narrative when there's such things as dollar menus.
People need to stop eating like shit and actually get some fucking exercise. A couple years ago I was working in the midwest and the elevators were down one day. The amount of people that couldn't actually walk up 4 flights of stairs was unbelievable. It was like watching a comedy but it was real life. Like people would walk up half a flight and rest because they had to catch their breath!

It's not that hard to stop eating shitty food. It's not hard to take a walk. Most people just don't give a shit. I'm sure this is an unpopular opinion here but instead of food stamps or EBT cards I believe there should be government markets where there is fresh produce and healthy foods. It blows me away the government will pay for people to buy cheetohs and soda. Also, parents. Its fucking child abuse to allow your kids to eat fast food everyday. Parents should be held responsible for having fat children. It's not ok and its setting their kids up for a lifetime of health problems and self esteem issues. I don't know how to incentivize parents to keep their kids healthy but something needs to be done. It's heartbreaking to see obese children.
Well this is certainly a take.

We start with it being comedic that people are struggling with their health and weight. We follow through to the government needs to regulate what the poors are buying.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
I will give cooking this. If you're willing to put in the time its practical to make a large amount of food, throw it in the fridge and just eat leftovers. Lazy and healthy that way :P

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Time and money constraints on lower-middle class and below really puts the personal responsibility angle to bed. You're not just going to bootstrap you're way out of obesity if you work long hours at a job that pays very little

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
America could benefit heavily from more ready-made-food that isn't loaded with sugar and sodium, like in Japan.

Family-Mart-MV1-1024x768.jpg

It should be as easy as grabbing it at the grocers and putting it in your cart, and it should be better than the frozen dinner kind of stuff. The food should preferably be made that day in-house or shipped to stores from a central location.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Time and money constraints on lower-middle class and below really puts the personal responsibility angle to bed. You're not just going to bootstrap you're way out of obesity if you work long hours at a job that pays very little
It's no such the hours themselves, it's that:

• Both income earners also work full time in most cases
  • Commutes are nuts
  • Vacation time is pitiful

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
I think the government was why America went down the deadend path of think fats in food was the problem, which evolved into the whole focus on unsaturated/saturated/trans fats. Those are way lower on the list of health concerns than sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and they knew it, but those products also have the most political influence for whatever reason.

A news media afraid to anger their unhealthy food advertising money was also a big influence on that too, so it's not solely government.

It's funny you say it's the government's fault when there was no scientific basis for the food pyramid and policy of demonizing fats was a direct result of certain food lobbies basically buying their spot on the pyramid... the food pyramid that was actually developed by scientists was completely changed. Link

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
It's funny you say it's the government's fault when there was no scientific basis for the food pyramid and policy of demonizing fats was a direct result of certain food lobbies basically buying their spot on the pyramid... the food pyramid that was actually developed by scientists was completely changed. Link
Oh yeah, I forgot about the food pyramid thing. That was a big part of it.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
bread-makes-you-fat-bread-makes-you-fat-scott-pilgrim-24144459.png

Americans are Scott.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
Subsequent reading/viewing of studies into the effects on excessive sugar in our bodies (which is what the American low fat diet is), as well as learning of the huge fat vs sugar battle waged in the 60s/70s that helped shaped our modern diets, only reaffirmed my belief.
There is no such thing as a 'low fat' American diet.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...w-americas-diet-has-changed-over-the-decades/
The American diet is full of fat and processed carbs. A double quarter pound bacon cheeseburger and 2 orders of large fries is not a healthy meal even though it is relatively low in sugar (about the same as an apple).

Deleted member 11822

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excuse me but I believe those are nice little treats after a work out. As in take one because you're done. I do that with mints when I get done with a work out. It helps salivate your mouth. The pizza is incredibly dumb but like come on.

It's always the same in these threads... Experts say to not body shame and then some people in Era come in and point out how they were able to do it, despite coming from different backgrounds both physical and genetic. No one stops to think that maybe some people are more susceptible to food addiction than others and because it was slightly hard for them it's slightly hard for everyone else.

And then they want to post the shit like above making fun of planet fitness a place for people to go get fit. Like people go to these places to try to better themselves and then you just want to point out that you also suck if you go to planet fitness. I go to Planet Fitness and I have never seen a pizza buffet at my location. You know whats great about planet fitness? It's got a ton of work out equipment you can use and it's cheap and if you get the right card you can go to any location in the country.

Just gain a little perspective.

Supplying people with sugar after a workout is absurd, and detrimental to the client.
I have never made fun of anyone trying to better themselves.

Deleted member 33887

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I literally had to stop buying oreos because one of my roommates would just eat the whole damn thing in a couple sittings. Some people just don't have the level of impulse control that others do, and shaming them for it isn't necessarily the solution. Sometimes the best way to cure a bad habit is by getting rid of the trigger.

Chocolate Oreos are basically the cocaine of food for me. I really struggle to not finish them off in a day or two. Four days is really good for me. They taste so good, but they're not filling at all.

It took forever, but I stopped buying them every two weeks. I used to justify it as "this is the one item that I really enjoy, everything else I eat is pretty good." I replaced them with cereal and whole milk- one or two bowls fills me up for like half the day. And I can get cereal low on sugar if I feel up to it.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I feel it comes down to genetics. Some people can live with more carbs while being slimmer. For me, when I have a high carb diet, I tend to be constantly hungry leading to more eating.

Carbs and sugar foods are also cheaper to make and can be made on a large scale.

Nov 2, 2017
The fucking prices of vegetables here are getting obscene. 8 bucks for a head of cauliflower. Onions at 3 bucks a pound (a large onion weighs nearly a pound). Carrots at 3 bucks a pound. Etc. etc. etc. Cooking healthy is expensive. It just is. I'm not even mentioning meat, since the prices of meat, even the cheaper cuts, has jumped nearly double since I've been an adult cooking for myself. Used to be able to buy a big pork shoulder roast for 8 bucks, and now they're always over 20, unless there's a sale.

All the processed garbage is SO MUCH CHEAPER. If I had to feed a God damned family, I couldn't afford to feed them well.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no such thing as a 'low fat' American diet.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-ta...w-americas-diet-has-changed-over-the-decades/
The American diet is full of fat and processed carbs. A double quarter pound bacon cheeseburger and 2 orders of large fries is not a healthy meal even though it is relatively low in sugar (about the same as an apple).
You don't count the carbohydrates in the fries, the sweetened bun, and ketchup as sugar? 🤣

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
The fucking prices of vegetables here are getting obscene. 8 bucks for a head of cauliflower. Onions at 3 bucks a pound (a large onion weighs nearly a pound). Carrots at 3 bucks a pound. Etc. etc. etc. Cooking healthy is expensive. It just is. I'm not even mentioning meat, since the prices of meat, even the cheaper cuts, has jumped nearly double since I've been an adult cooking for myself. Used to be able to buy a big pork shoulder roast for 8 bucks, and now they're always over 20, unless there's a sale.

All the processed garbage is SO MUCH CHEAPER. If I had to feed a God damned family, I couldn't afford to feed them well.

Uhhhh... where do you live? Never heard of high prices like that in LA