• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the problem with DoorDash; it tries to pawn off all management responsibility onto an app that just tracks stats and metrics and facelessly asks for more without any method for the drivers to communicate with someone. What you are suggesting is literally impossible with DoorDash (and other gig economy businesses) and that's the problem.
At this point, DoorDash isn't complaining to the OP though. You communicate to the person or persons who are the ones who would get upset to meter expectations. DoorDash lets you contact the customer and give updates or issues. I once did an order and it was from a place that is a high traffic area. The guy couldn't find parking. Instead of him circling for a half hour trying to find parking to pick up the order and then deal with the traffic, they contacted us to let us know what's going on. It was totally understandable, and he asked if we wanted to cancel instead or for him to keep trying. Being up front and communicating about the situation can help alleviate the situation and at worse it doesn't help at all. It's still better than not communicating which is more likely to result in a bad way.

DoorDash estimates are usually reasonable to the point when you see something that is going to take 45 min from the time of ordering to get to you, it's usually about right. It's good enough that you can usually rely on the timing and any time there's been a problem, the driver has contacted us to let us know. If you order something and it normally would take 30 min to an hour but now is taking more than an extra half hour to get to you and you don't get any communication about that, that's totally on the driver. Communication is usually better than no communication at all.

So the OP had an option that they didn't take in this matter.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Because the restaurant wouldn't give OP a realistic ETA, he couldn't contact Door Dash and try to release the order. The restaurant really fucked him with the "just a few more minutes" routine. It would be worth a call to the manager telling them what happened and asking them to tell their staff to give real ETAs to drivers, not customer ETAs.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Except for the entire DoorDash business model that you're going to continue to ignore.

Lol it does not matter. Customers 1's $90 food order was IN THE CAR. Drive the food to the destination before picking up order 2. period. I dont care about their model, he could have taken the order, dropped order 1 off and went to pick up 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I read your post, it does not address the fundamental problem here: that indecently contracting delivery from restaurants not set up for delivery will produce outcomes like this.
I mean if it's on the app, than it's on the app, and I take it, the restaurant owners and management are aware that their restaurant is on the app?? If so, than what is the problem?.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Not really, no.

The business model puts employees into impossible situations which they then as the messenger get blamed for.

Well Customer 1 was only 15 mins from Restaurant 2. OP waited 25 mins at Res2 instead of going to Cus1 and driving back. This wasn't an impossible situation this was just time management gone awry.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I keep seeing mention of "below minimum wage" here. OP said it was $9 for each delivery. The first delivery was 15-20 minutes away, given that 25 of the 45 minutes total delivery time was spent waiting in the second restaurant. I figure it takes at least a few minutes to reach that second restaurant and park. Minimum wage in their State is $12 they said, and that's $9 for a 15-20 minute delivery. That's not below minimum wage. (And that's without taking into account any tax benefits of the 59c per mile deduction).

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I love how you turn your inability to factor in driving time into me claiming OP drove the entire 45 mins.
Lol.

Edit: It was a 20 min commute, if you need to be caught up.
Also I'd put some more effort towards understanding the DoorDash business model as that's something you've continued to brush off for pages.

Sigh...

Even with your excuse OP waited 15+ minutes for someone else order ahead of the $90 order. He prioritized order #2 ahead of order #1.

The people who ordered understand how far away the restaurant is and how long commute should take.

20 minutes shouldn't take 45. Your new excuse isn't just assuming I'm too stupid to understand but is now apparently assuming customer #1 is too stupid to understand how long delivery from 20 minutes away should take.

Big difference between 20 and 45.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Um yes it is. Case in point, what happened here.
No, and frankly you should know better given what you typically post around here. DoorDash is designed to not even provide minimum wage unless drivers are accepting multiple orders at once. This is done because the delivery system runs more efficiently (and DoorDash makes more money) if drivers take on multiple orders at once. To incentivize this behavior, DoorDash pays a low wage per order to pressure drivers into taking more orders at once, and pushes more orders toward them based on proximity through the app...to pressure them to accept more orders at once.

DoorDash would not function if all drivers only did one order at a time, and no drivers would be able to make even minimum wage that way.
Then they did a rookie mistake, why log you've arrived when you don't know the status of the food order? Falls back to OP again.

Who would be more angry in this case, Order 1 which is 90 bucks and had no issues getting cooked on time, or Order 2 which is 25 bucks and the place was behind? OP picked the wrong one and it blew back on them.
It doesn't matter really, OP gets paid the same for both orders and either order being late has a high likelihood of resulting in a 1 star review. If customer #1 had tipped in line with the cost of their order (as is customary for tipping) then OP wouldn't have even taken the second order. If you bring 9 people to a restaurant then your tip for the server should be larger than if you brought 3 people to a restaurant and had the same server. Same logic applies here. Ultimately though the problem is with DoorDash, not with OP or the customer.
No, the entire point is why customer #1 was angry with OP.

It's due to OP prioritizing customer #2 despite customer #1s order already being in hand.
Either way would've resulted in the same outcome. Customer #1 being mad makes sense, what doesn't make sense is people in this thread castigating OP.

Jun 22, 2019
Sigh...

Even with your excuse OP waited 15+ minutes for someone else order ahead of the $90 order. He prioritized order #2 ahead of order #1.

The people who ordered understand how far away the restaurant is and how long commute should take.

20 minutes shouldn't take 45.

Sounds like you need to go talk to DoorDash about their business model.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I would be furious if you took 90 minutes to deliver mr cold food. I know it sucks but you kind of deserved a bad review. Hope you don't get fired though because mistakes happen.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At this point, DoorDash isn't complaining to the OP though. You communicate to the person or persons who are the ones who would get upset to meter expectations. DoorDash lets you contact the customer and give updates or issues. I once did an order and it was from a place that is a high traffic area. The guy couldn't find parking. Instead of him circling for a half hour trying to find parking to pick up the order and then deal with the traffic, they contacted us to let us know what's going on. It was totally understandable, and he asked if we wanted to cancel instead or for him to keep trying. Being up front and communicating about the situation can help alleviate the situation and at worse it doesn't help at all. It's still better than not communicating which is more likely to result in a bad way.

DoorDash estimates are usually reasonable to the point when you see something that is going to take 45 min from the time of ordering to get to you, it's usually about right. It's good enough that you can usually rely on the timing and any time there's been a problem, the driver has contacted us to let us know. If you order something and it normally would take 30 min to an hour but now is taking more than an extra half hour to get to you and you don't get any communication about that, that's totally on the driver. Communication is usually better than no communication at all.

So the OP had an option that they didn't take in this matter.
[/QUOTE
I already said that OP couldve contacted the 1st customer. That's not the same as being able to communicate directly with DoorDash.

Oct 25, 2017
There is some really strange folk in this thread that wouldn't bother solving a 5 piece puzzle, even their life depended on it.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So Res2 dropped the ball which caused an avalanche effect is what Im getting from this.
I am not familiar with Doordash, so I am assuming when the delivery notifies the driver the food is supposed to be done?
I mean that's the rub, DoorDash has no control over the restaurant, nor does the driver. The restaurant can do whatever they want and it will barely affect them because all of the responsibility is placed on the subcontracted driver. Restaurant doesn't care about DoorDash or the driver. It's not their service.

Ash735

Banned
Sep 4, 2018
It doesn't matter really, OP gets paid the same for both orders and either order being late has a high likelihood of resulting in a 1 star review. If customer #1 had tipped in line with the cost of their order (as is customary for tipping) then OP wouldn't have even taken the second order. If you bring 9 people to a restaurant then your tip for the server should be larger than if you brought 3 people to a restaurant and had the same server. Same logic applies here. Ultimately though the problem is with DoorDash, not with OP or the customer.
OK, so with that in mind, you're at a restaurant, you've made your order, but then more people come in and say they're tipping more than you, and your order gets pushed to the back, you'd be cool with that since apparently it's just apart of gig economy?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
It's almost as if that's not how the DoorDash business model incentivizes behavior and almost as if that often doesn't even pay minimum wage.

Sounds like DoorDash should have not set their business up this way.

Issue here is that nobody once has stated that 2nd order was mandated.

To take order was the choice of OP.

What does Door Dash employee manual state? If he didn't take the order was he subject to penalty or would another driver have taken the pickup?

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
User Warned: Sexist Language
I would not have cussed you out. Woman was a total cunt for doing so.

However I would have removed any tip that I added (I always tip 20%+)

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
I already said that OP couldve contacted the 1st customer. That's not the same as being able to communicate directly with DoorDash.

I didn't say it was. I just said in both scenarios, the step to be taken is to use communication period. If your boss comes to you with a task and you're working on something else, you communicate the situation. You're going to be late delivery your food, you communicate to the customer. There's a common pattern of a tool that is well within the control of the person involved in these scenarios and that's communication. There's a lot of people who fail to realize this when dealing with situations in the world and it should be emphasized. Hell, how many threads has there been on this forum where someone complains about an issue they have with someone and it's something that they should be communicating to the other party that's involved?

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean if it's on the app, than it's on the app, and I take it, the restaurant owners and management are aware that their restaurant is on the app?? If so, than what is the problem?.
The problem is that delays like this are inherent to DoorDash's business model. In order for a restaurant to provide good delivery service, it needs to be designed from the ground up for delivery. That's why the workflows in a Domino's are so different from the workflows in your average restaurant.

Oct 28, 2018
Issue here is that nobody once has stated that 2nd order was mandated.

To take order was the choice of OP.

What does Door Dash employee manual state? If he didn't take the order was he subject to penalty or would another driver have taken the pickup?

Of course another driver would have taken the pickup. The option to grab the 2nd order is a quick recommendation that is being made based on the location of the driver and their other orders that they've already picked up. A driver is losing out on money if they don't follow doordash's recommendation.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I would be furious if you took 90 minutes to deliver me cold food. I know it sucks but you kind of deserved a bad review. Hope you don't get fired though because mistakes happen.
Both positions are kind of incompatible if the bad review leads to them losing their job though right? People lose their jobs over small mistakes all the time, especially in "at-will" states. If you know someone can lost their job over it, wouldn't it be a better idea to maybe not leave a review? Not even saying leave a good one, just leave none.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, so with that in mind, you're at a restaurant, you've made your order, but then more people come in and say they're tipping more than you, and your order gets pushed to the back, you'd be cool with that since apparently it's just apart of gig economy?
Hahahaha no because that's not even remotely the same scenario. In the hypothetical you just crafted, everyone is at the same establishment. In the scenario OP described, there are 3 separate businesses involved, none of whom give a fuck about the reputation/service/employees of the other ones.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, been there chief.

Thankfully never gotten something quite as bad but definitely some side eye on late orders, or low reviews.

People need to understand the rider/driver has NO say in what happens. And we really can't control what happens at restaurants. What OP said happens A LOT. Like almost every time it's not immediately ready for me. Where they keep saying IT'S ALMOST DONE but it takes far longer. There's a reason my service forces you to ask for an exact time (which can be a little scary - restaurants can be a lot more prone to hostility than customers).

At least for my service, if you don't exactly go where they tell you your phone lights up like a space station and starts going nuts telling you to hurry your ass up.

Anyways, float on my dude. People can be assholes, and she wanted to take her frustrations out on you. I've met a lot of nice people who are super friendly, and that makes up for it to me. And I highly doubt you'll get fired.

Edit: I missed that apparently Doordash has the option to ignore second orders? Wish I had that option

Edit 2: actually I don't

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, and frankly you should know better given what you typically post around here. DoorDash is designed to not even provide minimum wage unless drivers are accepting multiple orders at once. This is done because the delivery system runs more efficiently (and DoorDash makes more money) if drivers take on multiple orders at once. To incentivize this behavior, DoorDash pays a low wage per order to pressure drivers into taking more orders at once, and pushes more orders toward them based on proximity through the app...to pressure them to accept more orders at once.

DoorDash would not function if all drivers only did one order at a time, and no drivers would be able to make even minimum wage that way.

Either way would've resulted in the same outcome. Customer #1 being mad makes sense, what doesn't make sense is people in this thread castigating OP.
Elaborate.

Further Ive worked in the service industry. I understand how it works. OP made a decison and it was the wrong one. Doordash is pushing to do more deliveries at once but OP knows that in ding so they risk fucking over other customers. Every job pushes its employees to take on more work, not every job gives you the autonomy to make a decision about whether or not they take on that work. By doing things this wa OP stated he got a bad review, likely lost out on tips from both deliveries, and is at risk of losing their job because of this decision. Further what was stopping Op from accepting the second delivery but dropping off the first order first? I'm not going to argue that the door dash app doesn't have problems but this was compounded by Op's choices. If I was sitting in the second restaurant for more than 10 mins I would have left and came back after dropping off customer number 1's order.

Castigating OP? He made a thread specifically talking about this issue and people in turn told him he made the wrong decision and deserves the 1 star. Most people, including myself, don't agree with him being yelled at.

Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that delays like this are inherent to DoorDash's business model. In order for a restaurant to provide good delivery service, it needs to be designed from the ground up for delivery. That's why the workflows in a Domino's are so different from the workflows in your average restaurant.
But not every restaurant IS or even has to operate in the (swift) rate Dominos operates at. What are you suggesting? Either be a assembly line, quick , fast food joint or get the fuck off these delivery service apps?

You do realize restaurants have a section on delivery time in these apps? For example the app clearly states food from your local Mcdonalds may apporx take 15-20 min to be delivered, while the food from the Indian restaurant that prepares hot meals, and is located across town may take upwards of 50 minutes.

So yeeeah, restaurants already have a approx delivery time stated in the app, and there is no ONE standard delivery time.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Of course another driver would have taken the pickup. The option to grab the 2nd order is a quick recommendation that is being made based on the location of the driver and their other orders that they've already picked up. A driver is losing out on money if they don't follow doordash's recommendation.

Then the late delivery for customer #1 is 100% the fault of OP.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
That's never been the issue.
I'm gonna just finally ignore you, because you've been repeating the same exact posts on loop toward multiple people before me, and are still continuing to loop those exact same posts.

Ignore me if you wish, I couldn't care less.

You don't want to accept that customer #1 got their food late due to a choice OP made that OP wasn't mandated to do.

The issue here isn't me. The issue is you not understanding the basis of the issue customer #1 had and how it was caused.

You have to understand that there is a reason nobody had yet to answer the simple issue of whether or not OP was forced to make the choice they made.

Jun 22, 2019
nah, its pretty obvious they are. I gave a pretty clear response as to why OP was in the wrong, and in turn, they only replied "lol yes it does" is a pretty open ended troll response. Arguing for the sake of arguing is trolling too

You literally added nothing that wasn't already stated multiple times in the pages before, and your response did not make it "not matter" in the least. You contributed nothing, I gave you the same back.
If you don't care about the business model that not only directs behavior but also affects people's livelihood, as stated in your post, what - am I supposed to take you seriously?

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dreading working again tonight. Im not in customer support, idk how to handle stuff like this. How do you get over stuff like this?

Either you become dead to it and just stop giving a fuck or you get out. Working in the service industry sucks. I don't miss those days. If I wasn't getting my ass chewed out by a customer for some shit, usually something out of my control, it was my boss/supervisor breathing down my neck over some bullshit.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Both positions are kind of incompatible if the bad review leads to them losing their job though right? People lose their jobs over small mistakes all the time, especially in "at-will" states. If you know someone can lost their job over it, wouldn't it be a better idea to maybe not leave a review? Not even saying leave a good one, just leave none.

Never leave a bad review? So no accountability at all?

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Ignore me if you wish, I couldn't care less.

You don't want to accept that customer #1 got their food late due to a choice OP made that OP wasn't mandated to do.

The issue here isn't me. The issue is you not understanding the basis of the issue customer #1 had and how it was caused.

You have to understand that there is a reason nobody had yet to answer the simple issue of whether or not OP was forced to make the choice they made.

let them ignore you, its their way of not having to take the L when they know they are in the wrong

jkMb4kf.png

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Elaborate.

Further Ive worked in the service industry. I understand how it works. OP made a decison and it was the wrong one. Doordash is pushing to do more deliveries at once but OP knows that in ding so they risk fucking over other customers. Every job pushes its employees to take on more work, not every job gives you the autonomy to make a decision about whether or not they take on that work. By doing things this wa OP stated he got a bad review, likely lost out on tips from both deliveries, and is at risk of losing their job because of this decision. Further what was stopping Op from accepting the second delivery but dropping off the first order first? I'm not going to argue that the door dash app doesn't have problems but this was compounded by Op's choices. If I was sitting in the second restaurant for more than 10 mins I would have left and came back after dropping off customer number 1's order.

Castigating OP? He made a thread specifically talking about this issue and people in turn told him he made the wrong decision and deserves the 1 star. Most people, including myself, don't agree with him being yelled at.
I mean that typically you understand the way systemic issues influence individual behavior and respond accordingly, rather than piling onto someone caught in a poorly-designed system meant to exploit them.

OP's decision was not the wrong decision because when he made the decision to accept the second order (something he is incentivized to do in order to make a fair wage and in order for DoorDash to actually make money) he had no knowledge that the second restaurant would take forever to make the order, nor did he know they would lie to him about how long it would take. He could not drop off the second order first because DoorDash does not allow you to leave the restaurant without the food once you've arrived.

Suggesting he does not take additional orders is not a tenable solution. He wont make enough money doing that, DoorDash won't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.