• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Working for Grub Hub, I totally trusted the app's recommendations for multiple orders. There was always enough time to fulfill them. Were I in the OPs shoes, I would've had no reason to think I'd be late. And if delivering was my primary source of income, what choice would I have but to trust something that is always right?

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Just want to state that I have used Door Dash many times. I usually order from places 5-10 minutes from me and entirely out of laziness because I'm doing other things.

Ive never had food delivered 45 minutes after it's picked up. So it's not like I'm a stranger to Door Dash.

I tip very well too.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Never leave a bad review? So no accountability at all?
No, I never said that, in fact I've elaborated on this point multiple times in this thread. A one-star review that could cause someone to lose their job should be commensurate with the degree of offense, and I do not believe getting some cold food is on the same level as a person losing their livelihood.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Nah I'm gonna blame the doordash algorithms whose job it is to present to the driver the best choice possible. That's not OP's job.
Exercising some reasonable level of due care literally is his job.

No, it's not choosing pickups and dropoffs, just like you can't fault Uber drivers who have literally no idea where they're going (or worse, ask you where to go), but there's some level of care required here.

If I ordered ice cream, I'd expect that OP wouldn't place the container directly atop of the heater. Or if there's a freak traffic accident that prevents OP from reaching my house and completing the delivery, I'd expect him to call (or arrange a call from the restaurant) that explains what's happening rather than him effectively ghosting me during dinner.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Do you understand that every driver's livelihood is based on this recommendation engine?

Then I guess it would be quite important that the OP chose wisely knowing they had a $90 dollar order to deliver. Even by choosing to take on the additional order there was no message to the first customer stating they would be late. That's unacceptable.

Oct 28, 2018
AIYsrcb.jpg

Lol that's literally the business model. Not my fault you can't comprehend.

Jun 22, 2019
They also opt into the business model of getting one star if they choose poorly. OP chose poorly.

Except OP didn't choose poorly, because if the food was made in a timely manner at the second restaurant nothing would be wrong.

The choice could only be seen as bad in hindsight.

Not texting once the wait got out of contrlol could be said to be a poor choice, but that doesn't have any effect on the actual delivery.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No worries, I can explain.

Say the FIRST order, the $90 Dollar order the OP took on to deliver was from a restaurant that suggested approximate delivery time between 15-20 minutes on the Doordash app. for the customer(s) that ordered it. So the customer being aware of this, timed their delivery accordingly and were anticipating their food to arrive within 15-20 minutes.

I guess Door Dash also allows their delivery team to take on more than one order, granted the employee sticks to that 15-20 minute timeline. Seems like the OP had the right idea, but I guess DD does not strictly monitor time, and depend on their delivery guys to monitor their own time, while still allowing them to make more than one delivery at a time.

So I guess what I am trying to constructively criticize the OP here for is, to keep his eye on that timer, and make sure he honors that delivery time window, before taking on a second order.

Having said this, I admit it's not the most ideal, picture perfect delivery service, but it also seems to be 100% optional and not mandated, so I guess that option is left on the deliverer's responsibility to take on or not.

Also, I am not sure every restaurant can afford to have their own personal delivery service.
Right but that's the inherent conflict with DoorDash vs. the restaurant. DoorDash incentivizes multiple deliveries because that's how they make money, drivers can only make minimum wage by doing multiple deliveries, and restaurants aren't offering a delivery time that factors in multiple deliveries because that would be impossible for them to do.

Which all leads back to DoorDash being the common problem here.

Oct 28, 2018
Then I guess it would be quite important that the OP chose wisely knowing they had a $90 dollar order to deliver. Even by choosing to take on the additional order there was no message to the first customer stating they would be late. That's unacceptable.

If you think it's unacceptable blame doordash for making the recommendation in the first place. They clearly don't care about the fact that the order is $90.

Oct 28, 2018
Exercising some reasonable level of due care literally is his job.

No, it's not choosing pickups and dropoffs, just like you can't fault Uber drivers who have literally no idea where they're going (or worse, ask you where to go), but there's some level of care required here.

If I ordered ice cream, I'd expect that OP wouldn't place the container directly atop of the heater. Or if there's a freak traffic accident that prevents OP from reaching my house and completing the delivery, I'd expect him to call (or arrange a call from the restaurant) that explains what's happening rather than him effectively ghosting me during dinner.

Big difference between common sense decisions on where to literally place the food inside of your car and making order/delivery decisions that have been purposefully offloaded to an algorithm that has much more data and context than a typical driver.

Only criticism of OP that's been valid here is lack of communication with the customer.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Except OP didn't choose poorly, because if the food was made in a timely manner at the second restaurant nothing would be wrong.

Not texting once the wait got out of contrlol could be said to be a poor choice, but that doesn't have any effect on the actual delivery.
All that needs be to said really. Why this is so hard for people to understand is mind-boggling to me.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Big difference between common sense decisions on where to literally place the food inside of your car and making order/delivery decisions that have been purposefully offloaded to an algorithm that has much more data and context than a typical driver.
My position is that the critical decision point, arguably a common sense one, was choosing not to notify the previous customer about the delay when waiting at the second restaurant.

And also not finding some way to keep the food hot, although I don't know what tools were readily available at that point.

No equivalent of insulated sleeves like Domino's used to have back in the day?

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
Lol that's literally the business model. Not my fault you can't comprehend.
Its funny saying that i cant comprehend and yet you are digging your head further into the sand everytime you post a reply to someone. Even IF the second order was not going to be late, its not like it was going to only take 30 seconds to get into the place and get the order, stop lights, possible turn around's, finding a parking spot, waiting in line, checking the order, thats a 10-15 minute process. OP was at fault for poor time management and a bad choice, not door dash.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it gives you an add on order to your route if it is on the way, and won't make you late. It lays out an order on how to do things with a strict schedule. It does not account for the restaurant being late at all which is what happened. The customers lived on the same street as each other
That sucks. I was going to ask why you stopped at the other restaurant. I would be pissed too if it took 45 minutes from pickup to delivery but would have actually asked you what took you so long instead of just flying off the handle.

all you can do is explain what happened to your superiors and if the company has a complaint line you can file one on behalf of your customer explaining why their policies fucked your client and you.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
If the only way for you to make money is to combo 2 or three orders together, then maybe you need to reevaluate your employment with gig apps.

Oct 28, 2018
My position is that the critical decision point, arguably a common sense one, was choosing not to notify the previous customer about the delay when waiting at the second restaurant.

And also not finding some way to keep the food hot, although I don't know what tools were readily available at that point.

Fair enough, I'm mostly in agreement.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No, I never said that, in fact I've elaborated on this point multiple times in this thread. A one-star review that could cause someone to lose their job should be commensurate with the degree of offense, and I do not believe getting some cold food is on the same level as a person losing their livelihood.

If I ordered $90 worth of food and it showed up late and cold, resulting in me needing to now cook it (and it may not even taste as good now and defeats the entire purpose of paying a premium to get it) then it is entirely due to the driver making a personal decision to prioritize another order that was made AFTER mine to come before me?

They deserve the bad review and I hope they make better choices going forward, as that $9 tip chase may cost them a lot more than just $9.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Just want to state that I have used Door Dash many times. I usually order from places 5-10 minutes from me and entirely out of laziness because I'm doing other things.

Ive never had food delivered 45 minutes after it's picked up. So it's not like I'm a stranger to Door Dash.

I tip very well too.

how many orders have you delivered

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

Who cares about the 2nd order? Order #1 was in OP's car already?

This is getting ridiculous that people can't understand this very simple and very basic point.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Fair enough, I'm mostly in agreement.
It's a tough spot. And the downside is that, unlike restaurants, which usually proactively throw in an extra order of dumplings or fries for the inconvenience, subcontracted drivers simply don't have that option.

What I'm really learning from this thread is that I should only order from places with their own drivers.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
how many orders have you delivered

Door Dash? None.

However this topic isn't about me. Try to remain on topic and answer questions instead of deflecting.

Now if you're asking how many I have had delivered with Door Dash? Anywhere from 12-24 in the last year most likely. We mostly order crepes and occasionally from the local Habachi place.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't rule out the fact that for the first customer, this service was poor and the driver and communication is part of this service. 1 star warranted, or whatever is lowest.
Yes but that poor service is a direct result of how DoorDash functions, not any specific error on OP's part. Except telling the customer he was gonna be late, he couldve done that. Wouldnt change the situation though.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a tough spot. And the downside is that, unlike restaurants, which usually proactively throw in an extra order of dumplings or fries for the inconvenience, subcontracted drivers simply don't have that option.

What I'm really learning from this thread is that I should only order from places with their own drivers.
Correct.

Jun 22, 2019

The fault of not notifying the customer is legit. I agree with you there.
(It's actually the main reason I'd never work a gig job, I would not want to communicate to upset people about hiccups outside of my control.)

For the past many pages, people have been looping their posts of the fault being that OP took on the second order and its their "responsibility," so the conversation has sorta been anchored there for a while.

Oct 28, 2018
Its funny saying that i cant comprehend and yet you are digging your head further into the sand everytime you post a reply to someone. Even IF the second order was not going to be late, its not like it was going to only take 30 seconds to get into the place and get the order, stop lights, possible turn around's, finding a parking spot, waiting in line, checking the order, thats a 10-15 minute process. OP was at fault for poor time management and a bad choice, not door dash.

You're sidestepping every point that's made, it's almost comical. You've offered nothing of value, only the occasional "yikes" and the incessant "it wasn't mandatory".

Doordash's model is to provide the decision making for drivers on which orders they should pick up and when. Drivers should not be making those decisions on their end because they have a limited set of information. Really not hard to understand.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017

You're going to have to elaborate on several examples of what warrants a 1 star review then. Being anywhere from 50% to 100% late over the expected time and having cold food for a $90 order sounds to me reasonable for a 1 star review. If it was a fluke, the 1 star review will be a minor blip and even itself out over a reasonable amount of time. If not 1 star, what does it deserve? 2? 2 is still bad.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about the 2nd order? Order #1 was in OP's car already?

This is getting ridiculous that people can't understand this very simple and very basic point.
No, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. You keep repeating the same thing over and over as if that is the subject of contention when it isn't.

Bramblebutt

Jan 11, 2018
Threads like these are precisely why I fear for the future of the workers of the gig economy, who are expected to assume more and more financial responsibility for the day to day operation of the business with fewer and fewer legal protections from the abuses of their employers. And who are now evidently expected to be held *singularly* responsible for acting on their employers' poor recommendations, the following of which is literally the only way they're going to be able to earn a decent wage.

edit: I would also like to add that the customer has every reason to be fucking pissed and to leave a one-star review, it's not on her to just accept unacceptable service. But I can't understand any perspective that doesn't assign at least a portion of the responsibility for this outcome on DoorDash.

Last edited:

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
then it is entirely due to the driver making a personal decision to prioritize another order that was made AFTER mine to come before me?

They deserve the bad review and I hope they make better choices going forward, as that $9 tip chase may cost them a lot more than just $9.
The driver has to take the order in order to make even minimum wage. Put yourself in his shoes. You're asking him to make less than minimum wage all the time because of something that might happen in a rare circumstance to negatively effect you. That's totally unreasonable. The expectation that they will work at those substandard wages is no fucking choice at all. You as a customer have every right to be mad, but from the way the OP tells the story, I have a hard time feeling how he's at fault.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
No, talking to you is like talking to a brick wall. You keep repeating the same thing over and over as if that is the subject of contention when it isn't.

I keep repeating it because it's correct.

Not my fault people here can't understand recommended vs mandated and can't understand that OP made the choice to take 2nd order and wait for 2nd order to be fulfilled AFTER they had customer #1s order in their vehicle.

No matter how many customer #1 you speak to I am sure majority will agree with me and as a customer service worker for Door Dash that's most likely all that matters.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Everything in OP's story is standard operating procedure until the 2nd restaurant fucked up. He had no way of knowing that would happen, anyone saying he should have skipped the 2nd order is operating with knowledge he had no way of having at that time.

Customer #1 has no reason to know or care about any of this and the fact that he didn't communicate to try to alleviate the negative reaction he was going to get was bad. She shouldn't have cussed him out, but I have no problem with her giving a 1 star review.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Door Dash? None.

However this topic isn't about me. Try to remain on topic and answer questions instead of deflecting.

You're the one who brought up that you have special insight into this question because of your personal history...having food delivered! You opened the door to it on cross! Take some personal responsibility!

It is actually hilarious to me to read somebody saying "as somebody who is a regular customer I strongly sympathize with the customer's right to do anything they want to the service employee." Yes, that's exactly the problem.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep repeating it because it's correct.

Not my fault people here can't understand recommended vs mandated.
Because that's not the issue. No one thinks it was 'mandated' by DoorDash, but it's necessary if OP wants to make minimum wage. Which isn't a direct mandate but is an indirect one. Read these posts please:
Threads like these are precisely why I fear for the future of the workers of the gig economy, who are expected to assume more and more financial responsibility for the day to day operation of the business with fewer and fewer legal protections from the abuses of their employers. And who are now evidently expected to be held *singularly* responsible for acting on their employers' poor recommendations, the following of which is literally the only way they're going to be able to earn a decent wage.
The driver has to take the order in order to make even minimum wage. Put yourself in his shoes. You're asking him to make less than minimum wage all the time because of something that might happen in a rare circumstance to negatively effect you. That's totally unreasonable. The expectation that they will work at those substandard wages is no fucking choice at all. You as a customer have every right to be mad, but from the way the OP tells the story, I have a hard time feeling how he's at fault.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
The real chicanery is that instead of being in privity of contract with a business (Restaurant), the work's being performed in large part by a subcontractor (DoorDash). As the original customer, my deal's with the prime contractor -- not the sub. I have no control over the sub. The sub's employee is not accountable to me, but rather to his own company (DoorDash).

In this arrangement, everyone's incentives are completely misaligned.

If this were me, I'd complain to the restaurant about how terrible its subcontracted delivery service was. They're the only one with whom I had an actual contractual arrangement. In all likelihood, they would've offered something for the inconvenience.

I never had an agreement with DoorDash, who's being paid by the restaurant. Why would DoorDash care about what I want? Why would DoorDash's employee care about what I want? He's only concerned with being kept on by DoorDash; he doesn't care at all about me or the restaurant.

Of course, it still ruins $90 worth of delivery food, and in this scenario, I'm still pissed and hungry.

AkumaNiko

Oct 28, 2017
You're sidestepping every point that's made, it's almost comical. You've offered nothing of value, only the occasional "yikes" and the incessant "it wasn't mandatory".

Doordash's model is to provide the decision making for drivers on which orders they should pick up and when. Drivers should not be making those decisions on their end because they have a limited set of information. Really not hard to understand.

You're still not getting it and im not sure why its so hard for you. Anyone working for any kind of company are given tasks, some tasks are time sensitive, some are not. Nobody waved a pink slip in OP's face saying if he did not take this order he would be fired. OP wanted to make more money, made a BAD JUDGEMENT CALL and took it. Failed to take into account the extra wait time that had nothing to do with the actual wait at the food joint and fucked up someone else's dinner. this is in no way doordashes fault, just OP making a bad call.

This thread reminds me why i never use 3rd party food delivery services

Because that's not the issue. No one thinks it was 'mandated' by DoorDash, but it's necessary if OP wants to make minimum wage. Which isn't a direct mandate but is an indirect one. Read these posts please:

OP should probably find work somewhere else if its that hard to get minimum wage working for Doordash. The whole business honestly should get fucked if they require this kind of shit just for someone to make the bare minimum

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everything in OP's story is standard operating procedure until the 2nd restaurant fucked up. He had no way of knowing that would happen, anyone saying he should have skipped the 2nd order is operating with knowledge he had no way of having at that time.

Customer #1 has no reason to know or care about any of this and the fact that he didn't communicate to try to alleviate the negative reaction he was going to get was bad. She shouldn't have cussed him out, but I have no problem with her giving a 1 star review.
Yeah this is fair.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The real chicanery is that instead of being in privity of contract with a business (Restaurant), the work's being performed in large part by a subcontractor (DoorDash). As the original customer, my deal's with the prime contractor -- not the sub. I have no control over the sub. The sub's employee is not accountable to me, but rather to his own company (DoorDash).

In this arrangement, everyone's incentives are completely misaligned.

If this were me, I'd complain to the restaurant about how terrible its subcontracted delivery service was. They're the only one with whom I had an actual contractual arrangement. In all likelihood, they would've offered something for the inconvenience.

I never had an agreement with DoorDash, who's being paid by the restaurant. Why would DoorDash care about what I want? Why would DoorDash's employee care about what I want? He's only concerned with being kept on by DoorDash; he doesn't care at all about me or the restaurant.

Of course, it still ruins $90 worth of delivery food, and in this scenario, I'm still pissed and hungry.
That's why these business models are shitty and unsustainable.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
You're the one who brought up that you have special insight into this question because of your personal history...having food delivered! You opened the door to it on cross! Take some personal responsibility!

It is actually hilarious to me to read somebody saying "as somebody who is a regular customer I strongly sympathize with the customer's right to do anything they want to the service employee." Yes, that's exactly the problem.

I said I had Door Dash delivered, not that I delivered for Door Dash.

What is your point? I'm not sure you even know.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
It sure would be great if anyone could reevaluate their employment anywhere at any time too.
Unfortunately...
I think these gig apps are highly exploitative. If he is making less than minimum wage making one delivery and can only get above minimum wage by getting lucky by comboing deliveries, then maybe looking for other employment would be the right decision. People also don't ever factor in gas and mileage on vehicle with these delivery jobs.

I feel that unless you are getting godly tips, you are actually losing money working for these companies.

Oct 28, 2017
it gives you an add on order to your route if it is on the way, and won't make you late. It lays out an order on how to do things with a strict schedule. It does not account for the restaurant being late at all which is what happened. The customers lived on the same street as each other
When you realized the restaurant was behind on their order why couldn't you just leave to drop the first order off and come back? Does DoorDash allow drivers to make judgment calls like this? Sometimes you gotta improvise

Oct 28, 2017
Shouldn't have been yelled at but I'd give a bad rating too tbh.

I used door dash once and service was no good. I got cold food. Never used it again.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I worked in delivery and it's the worst job I've ever had. Other people fucking up and making you wait sucks and is part of the job. Customers getting personally mad at you sucks and is part of the job.

The gig economy sucks and your pay should be much better and she never should have cursed you out.

But

You didn't send a follow up text or call her at all when you realized you had been waiting at the 2nd place for so long? And it was almost $100 of food?

Oct 28, 2018
You're still not getting it and im not sure why its so hard for you. Anyone working for any kind of company are given tasks, some tasks are time sensitive, some are not. Nobody waved a pink slip in OP's face saying if he did not take this order he would be fired. OP wanted to make more money, made a BAD JUDGEMENT CALL and took it. Failed to take into account the extra wait time that had nothing to do with the actual wait at the food joint and fucked up someone else's dinner. this is in no way doordashes fault, just OP making a bad call.

This thread reminds me why i never use 3rd party food delivery services

Nope that's not the case at all. He received a company sanctioned recommendation that they encourage every single driver to take. The company was telling him that he should do it, it wasn't a "you should do this later" task. It was a "we think you should do this now, please do."

Doordash drivers are independent contractors and are technically never MANDATED to take on any orders. Instead they rely on doordash to give them recommendations and make these decisions for them.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel that unless you are getting godly tips, you are actually losing money working for these companies.
I've heard delivery jobs framed as "selling your car in slow motion" and that was before they were managed through the gig economy where everyone's an independent contractor and thus not entitled to minimum wage.

Status
Not open for further replies.