• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 26, 2018
Hey, it was...

well, it was fine. Perfectly serviceable. Good job. Moral conclusions re: town are weird though. Kinda coldhearted. And Monica didn't do anything? Guess she's got a spinoff now so there's that.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, using one of your post credit stings on a character that kinda just stood around all episode is kinda goofy. Like Monica's fine and all, but I don't think that was nearly as hype as they thought it was.

Feels like the Woo, Monica, and Darcy stuff should have wrapped up in a prior episode. Darcy gets like what, one line of dialogue this episode? Not like the military really did much this episode either so was hardly needed to put that here.

Oct 25, 2017
the bit where vision looked out the window and looked a little scared of the unknown for a moment as the hex closed in was really wonderfully done -- i'm going to miss seeing olsen and bettany doing their thing every week

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Love how Marvel makes classic comics costumes just work in live action. Guessing the kids will be back now that Wanda has the Darkhold. Then they left the door open for Agatha to possibly be Wanda's mentor even with the mind prison since Wanda is probably gonna need her. 'm guessing Dr. Strange may not be too keen on helping her with the Darkhold.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really disappointing last episode. Season was great, but this episode was so damn formulaic it's ridiculous, boring as shit.

Android

Oct 28, 2017
Vancouver
So... whats left open?

Where did White Vision go and will he remember?
What is Wanda doing in the cabin and will it open the mulitverse?
And who/what did wanda release as per Agatha. Herself, an entity, the multiverse?

Im very glad there are no mutants yet. They need a rest. I'm saying 5 years then introduce them. Tap into the hundreds of other characters within Marvel universe.

The Namekian

Nov 5, 2017
New York City
That was bad. I guess they're setting up Wanda as the villain in Dr. Strange? She's clearly got the Darkhold. Wow. Sorely disappointed with it overall. Felt rushed and unsatisfying. Darcy and Woo were backburnered. Hayward's whole arc was just being an asshole. Vision flew off after getting the Age of Ultron cliffnotes from other Vision. Agetha. Quicksilver was just Ralph or whatever.

Yeah the flubbed the landing and wasted an opportunity to build up to something more.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am glad at least that we'll see more Agatha, Vision and the kids in the MCU.

The Fietro thing seems like a weirdly uncharacteristic miss for the MCU. They don't usually just toss up a complete airball like that.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Eh, my initial gut impression of the finale is...it was shit.

And that's not because I was tied to any particular theory. I had my favorites, but ultimately, I'm here for good storytelling.

It's just...a lot of what we saw were red herrings. And the final battles were typical MCU fare, big glowy things going "pew pew!" in the sky. Which sucked for a show that made its mark by not being typical MCU storytelling. I hate that Agatha's 400+ years of witchcraft was undone by Wanda just remembering what her runes looked like; that was cheap. The whole thing felt like a tease. Nothing really got answered...unless you stay tuned for the next MCU property that will feature Wanda Maximoff which, I won't. My superpower is not being tied to the MCU when the content sucks.

Why was Monica even in this for more than just a second camero to explain her powers? Why did we even suffer thought the shitty SWORD scenes? They could have built White Vision's 2 seconds of screen time with much less.

I'm going to stop, because the more I think about it, the more I realize how shit the story was.

I'm glad that Agatha wasn't outright killed, but that's it.

C-

Gambit

Oct 27, 2017
It was ok as an episode, but I am thoroughly disappointed nonetheless.

The fights of Vision v Vision and Wanda v Agatha were boring. Monica and the SWORD guys just standing around till Wanda walks back feels as if NPCs had been switched off. None of it felt organic.

Of course, I am also disappointed that all mysteries got the most boring solutions but I guess that one's on me.

Pietro actively hurts, though.

I didn't need confirmation of him as part of the FOX-verse, but something more than random citizen would have been nice.

Though maybe there's still an "out" to that storyline. Ralph could be the name he was given in the MCU reality, but he might be a known outcast from another reality. They could always retcon things like that.

For now, it feels like a stupid joke at the audience's expense.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
Man, that finale was so frustratingly a greatest hits of the worst tendencies of the MCU bunched up into 50ish minutes. The last couple of episodes dragged the show kicking and screaming back into the overarching MCU machine like a Borg assimilation or something. Shit kinda sucked.

My fear is that's gonna happen to every Marvel show towards the end regardless of how unique the hook is, too.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually about what I expected lol, especially after episode 8. Too little power usage from Monica, but otherwise right on track.

Hope Agatha comes back, though.

And uh, guess AoS is super uncanon, huh.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I'm reading the official synopsis for Doctor Strange 2...

Uh, we sure that's about Mordo now?

I mean, Mordo's betraryal hasn't been revealed to Strange yet and I can't imagine they are going with two frenemies for their plot.

It's still ultimately Dr Strange's movie too.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I enjoyed it, but it felt a little too "Marvel-y" a finale considering the tone of the series to this point. And it felt a little cheap that Wanda just sort of walked away after enslaving an entire town for weeks. She could have at least apologized to them instead of Monica! Also, the whole Quicksilver thing was just a juke to fake us out? That's the kind of cheap fanservice that Marvel usually avoids.

But I definitely liked more than I didn't, especially:

1. The Scarlet Witch outfit. I always loved it in the comics, and it's everything I could have wanted it to be. It's both badass and gorgeous, genuinely my favorite part of the episode, haha.

2. Vision's conversation with Vision. The slam-bang stuff was fun (well, most of it, some of the magic effects didn't look very good), but I much preferred the idea of Vision reasoning with himself to convince himself that he isn't being himself.

3. The goodbye was touching.

4. Agatha is still alive. Thank God for that.

Not a bad episode, but I wanted more from what had been an excellent series. Still, I'm happy to see Scarlet Witch finally come into her own as a character.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The morality of having tortured those people end with "they will never know what you sacrificed for them" is a bit yikes.
It's a bit like the bully saying he is sacrificing the cash he chose not to steal from you. And I know there is a lot of reasoning behind it, but still, she tortured an entire town. Woken up Sarah/Dottie was begging for a *better role so her daughter could leave the room*

BUT
You know, overall, now Wanda has a new quest, she is using the darkhold to do it (sorry Agents of SHIELD fans) and there's a Doctor Strange movie coming up.
I don't think Wanda will be the villain there, but she will wake up something and both her and doctor strange will fetch Agatha.
This, it is fucking awful wtf lol

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
What was the point of the cameo at all? Hell, Captain Marvel sending her a text that said "Hi" would have been better lol

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Only question is

Why could they not identify Ralph ? He was the only citizen not able to be ?

Maybe he is Peter

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
The morality of having tortured those people end with "they will never know what you sacrificed for them" is a bit yikes.
It's a bit like the bully saying he is sacrificing the cash he chose not to steal from you. And I know there is a lot of reasoning behind it, but still, she tortured an entire town. Woken up Sarah/Dottie was begging for a *better role so her daughter could leave the room*

BUT
You know, overall, now Wanda has a new quest, she is using the darkhold to do it (sorry Agents of SHIELD fans) and there's a Doctor Strange movie coming up.
I don't think Wanda will be the villain there, but she will wake up something and both her and doctor strange will fetch Agatha.
Yeah that was messed up. They have every right to hate Wanda

MarkN

Oct 13, 2018
I loved that finale and even though it would never happen olsen and bettany deserve award nom's for those performances. Honestly If I hadn't followed this thread I would of enjoyed it even more. It was a beautiful character piece to establish Wanda as a person in the mcu.

Having lost my dad coming up on a year now, I am an absolute mess, everything from "not for us" until the end was so heartbreakingly beautiful and it showed. That walk home you could see the struggle of fear, pain, grief but also wanting to enjoy every last step on both there faces.

From this thread I was hoping for a cameo filled crazy finish that walked us in to the spidey and Dr. Strange sequels. After watching it I am actually way more satisfied that we got an intense look into wanda's character and what grief and loss can do to people. Hats off to the whole team, simply beautiful

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I came into this thread after watching the finale expecting mass praise?! Did people really not like that? I feel like i just witnessed some of the most emotional and well acted scenes in the mcu.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Finale was underwhelming after the half-way point. Agatha's story might be better ended with a harder swerve towards anti-hero, although they clearly left that route open. But it could have been a stronger tie to Strange if she could have convinced Wanda something was coming because of her transformation.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Lmao r/MarvelStudioSpoilers are having an utter meltdown because some 'insider' who got some stuff right like stuff that Darcy said to vision and a few other script pages told them that Quicksilver was from the Foxverse and that nightmare was gonna be in the finale
is this a case where the leaker trolled or a case where the leaker has been exposed?

50h8m6.jpg

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
So Wanda is back to being a fugitive again huh? I mean if she isn't still already when she blipped back into existence.
Edit: now that I think about it, Wanda was probably pardoned in some way post-Endgame...soo we are back to square one.

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao r/MarvelStudioSpoilers are having an utter meltdown because some 'insider' who got some stuff right like stuff that Darcy said to vision and a few other script pages told them that Quicksilver was from the Foxverse and that nightmare was gonna be in the finale

Tbh It's fantastic to behold. They played themselves into thinking he was the same Quicksilver, and now they're mad at Marvel Studios for it lmao

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
But why were there two Wandas in the post credits? Nobody was around so who was the first one for?

It was like next-level astral projection where the body and soul could function independently. Maybe to show her progress in learning magic...?

Also got some serious Evil Dead vibes with the cabin. lol

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Hey, it was...

well, it was fine. Perfectly serviceable. Good job. Moral conclusions re: town are weird though. Kinda coldhearted. And Monica didn't do anything? Guess she's got a spinoff now so there's that.

"Welp, I guess they're going to hate me. Let me fly off now," is not consequences.

It's just a dropped ball.

Shitty storytelling, period.

That Dude John

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Help me out here. When this show was originally conceived would the mutants-thing even have been on the table at the time?

Coleslaw

Nov 3, 2018
I came into this thread after watching the finale expecting mass praise?! Did people really not like that? I feel like i just witnessed some of the most emotional and well acted scenes in the mcu.

It was great, we're hypercritical super fans here, trust your own instincts. It was really good. People are pissed their fan theory didn't pan out.