• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
yeah sony right now does with MS dont....

crazy how its more in the spotlight now cause MS is going to do it, maybe it will be better, but still, its not even out yet
It's really Sony's fault for not marketing nor really putting emphasis on PSNow and Remote Play. Themselves didn't make it a big deal. I'm using it (psnow) and it's fine (still has some design issues that annoy me), enjoying God of War.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Yet....As we know, Sony was shopping around for other Cloud servers.
I mean its fine tho, We all can think what we want. Im done with the convo.
Facts don't matter. Actual working service don't matter.

It's wild I see some ppl mention Amazon as being a potential threat, and Sony went to them first or also before settling on MS.

Again, none of that matters.

It's really Sony's fault for not marketing nor really putting emphasis on PSNow and Remote Play. Themselves didn't make it a big deal. I'm using it (psnow) and it's fine (still has some design issues that annoy me), enjoying God of War.
This I agree with. It's like they are finally taking it serious.

Jan 4, 2018
So that Sony doesnt go with a company like Google, Or Amazon, Thats why. You really think MS didnt offer such a deal to them? Im positive that MS offered sony a deal that they just couldn't refuse. It literally says it in the press release what they were doing. Lol
Notice with other partners they never said that that partner was bringing. Yet with Sony they did. Lol, its easy to read into whats going on.
First: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ship-all-driven-by-sony-claims-microsoft-ceo/

And second: "Having clients" is not the objective. The objective is having clients paying. If a client isn't paying them is not that they make no money, is that MS will be loosing money, because infrastructure has costs, so in that case MS will be better off not servicing them.
The only difference with other customers is that while negotiating adopting Azure, they've looked at what other ways they can find to mutually benefit, and they found that Sony expertise on semiconductors and lenses combined with MS Azure AI (as opposed to what you said, it's MS the expert on AI, not the other way around) can lead to benefits they can both profit from (just like with Azure adoption they both benefit, MS get paid and Sony don't need to invest billions and years building an infrastructure they will only use for gaming, thus making it not viable. If Google, MS or Amazon can afford doing that investment is because they'll use said infrastructure to service the enterprise part of their companies, wich is where they make big profits.)
But those are 2 separate things

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

The thing is they really didnt need too. Right now, in gaming they are making more money than Nintendo and MS combined, and that just off PSN itself. Now since cloud gaming is being mentioned more, of course Sony will do things to show that they have their hands in that pot. Game streaming isnt going to be as big as people here think, but it will be a small % that sony will make money off of as well.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Remote play is totally dependent on your home connection , it's cool that it works though. I use to use it to download games when away. But it was never good enough for me to use outside of my home network.
It is platform agnostic as there is a OS X and windows app where as you Xbox streaming is windows only

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
The thing is they really didnt need too. Right now, in gaming they are making more money than Nintendo and MS combined, and that just off PSN itself. Now since cloud gaming is being mentioned more, of course Sony will do things to show that they have their hands in that pot. Game streaming isnt going to be as big as people here think, but it will be a small % that sony will make money off of as well.
They didn't need to? Well, that's the reason why people didn't make it a big deal as I stated.
I heard the same thing about digital gaming not being big. Carry on.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Yea. See this is the miss information here. MS isn't getting paid anything. Sony and MS are trading services from each other. Sony will provide sensors and AI, MS will provide azure. Sony is not here to pay the competition for anything.
MS just didn't want sony to go to amazon or Verizon.
And what is Sony providing microsoft? What is your source?

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
They didn't need to? Well, that's the reason why people didn't make it a big deal as I stated.
I heard the same thing about digital gaming not being big. Carry on.

Yea at the time they didnt need too. What they were doing was working. Now that other streaming companies like Google stadia are coming out, they make a further push in it. they have been doing this since 2014. Why focus on streaming when the ps4 was selling like it was?
No one ever said digital wouldn't take off, that was a shoe in. Then again thats normal gaming. no latency. With streaming, not so much. But we all know this.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
No one ever said digital wouldn't take off, that was a shoe in. Then again thats normal gaming. no latency. With streaming, not so much. But we all know this.

A LOT of people were claiming digital purchases wouldn't be mainstream for "generations" to come due to bandwidth caps, value of physical ownership, etc. It's obvious to everyone in hindsight (and was obvious to a good number of us years ago) that we'd be where we are in the market today... but there were a shitload of shortsighted views at the start of generation.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Yea at the time they didnt need too. What they were doing was working. Now that other streaming companies like Google stadia are coming out, they make a further push in it. they have been doing this since 2014. Why focus on streaming when the ps4 was selling like it was?
You are making my point...I hope you realize that.

That's a damn lie. I've had countless arguments with people about digital...it's easy to say stuff in hindsight.

A LOT of people were claiming digital purchases wouldn't be mainstream for "generations" to come due to bandwidth caps, value of physical ownership, etc. It's obvious to everyone in hindsight (and was obvious to a good number of us years ago) that we'd be where we are in the market today... but there were a shitload of shortsighted views at the start of generation.
Exactly.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Nah. They don't have the tools and resources immediately available for gaming like Azure does, and the expertise MS can bring to the table because of the experience in the cloud (Azure) and gaming (Xbox), that's why.

So are you saying Sony have been running a cloud gaming service with streaming without hardware, resources or expertise? That they've learned nothing in those 6 years?

Sony signed the MOU with MS at a corporate level. They're exploring Azure across their whole company, not just migrating Now over.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Hate to admit it but I played about a third of The Witcher 3 on my Vita with Remote Play out of necessity.

I was surprised how well it worked back then, lol.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Yea. See this is the miss information here. MS isn't getting paid anything. Sony and MS are trading services from each other. Sony will provide sensors and AI, MS will provide azure. Sony is not here to pay the competition for anything.
MS just didn't want sony to go to amazon or Verizon.
I'm going to need a direct source stating that Sony isn't paying anything to use Azure considering the server/upkeep costs.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
How is it on Android devices, like say, my Note 9?
Also, is PS Now supported on said devices?

And can a dual shock 4 be bluetoothed to said devices?

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Because remote play wasn't initially very good, it was touch screen controls only up until VERY recently, you have to be on Wifi and unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't support your entire library.

??? where did you hear this. I was playing on my phone with a DS4 about 4 or so years ago. Worked fairly well. And it has supported any game that uses a standard DS4.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just tried remote Play and.... It works!
Playing my ps4 games on the go, such as work!

I was sitting here thinking xcloud would achieve it, not knowing it was possible all along.

What gives? It's already here

I'm late to the bandwagon, but it seems it's been possible since ps3 even lol

Anyhow, I can now play iceborne at work!
Because only recently have Sony started making it available away from a PSVita or PS4.

and only just started putting a couple of newer high profile games on there. They could have been out way ahead of the game if they had faith in the service

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Im getting mixed up because iOS. iOS controller support only just got there.

ah ok yeah, ios was only added in the last few months or earlier this year, and yeah for whatever reason launched without controller support. But I think MacOs and Windows had it for a few years before that. As well, Xperia, and the hacked Android RP app for many years. Think iOS was the only one that it didnt launch with it, and was maybe only over BT, but over OTG usb cable it worked? Not totally sure. Never tried it on iOS.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Can you elaborate on your experiences with each? We're all three experienced from your home? And what games? What made the xCloud and Stadia platforms better?
PSNow and the Google Stadia beta were at home. PSNow had very noticeable lag with button presses and analog stick response. Stadia on the other hand felt very responsive and almost no different than playing locally.
xCloud was at E3 playing Halo 5 on an Android phone with an Xbox One controller attached. It also felt much more responsive than PSNow.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
PSNow and the Google Stadia beta were at home. PSNow had very noticeable lag with button presses and analog stick response. Stadia on the other hand felt very responsive and almost no different than playing locally.
xCloud was at E3 playing Halo 5 on an Android phone with an Xbox One controller attached. It also felt much more responsive than PSNow.
I see. I will try out the services too when they are released. I have no experience with any of them right now.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Did you actually read the press release? It was stated pretty clearly in it i believe.
It was clear in the press release that Sony wasn't paying for Azure?

news.microsoft.com

Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership - Stories

Companies to collaborate on new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences and AI solutions TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer...

What I get from the press release is that Microsoft is providing Azure and Azure AI and that they will explore in the future the creation of semiconductors powered by azure. Where did you get Sony is providing something to Microsoft from that?

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Is it so much harder to say "PSNow/Remote Play didn't work for me/with my setup" rather than "PSNow/Remote Play is terrible"? Maybe when you start from there you will be less shocked when people tell you that they've had great experiences with it.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm replying to the OP because he's literally talking about Remote Play and comparing it to Xcloud, not PS Now

True, but then it still makes it a fact that Sony has been offering these things to consumers, and has for years.

That's why I don't get the people who cite 'XCloud' as a reason to be hyped for Xbox. It's literally been years that people have enjoyed that functionality.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
We have to wait to see what Xcloud 1.0 offers at launch however PlayStation Now is limited. It's not viable at scale. It's not streamlined to work on portable devices. The assumption is Xcloud will bridge those gaps which will lead to mainstream adoption.

Dreamcast was the first console online. Very few people remember. Xbox Live moved the bar forward for mainstream adoption. Microsoft has the infrastructure to do the same thing with game streaming.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Good guy MS letting Sony use Azure. I can't imagine Sony allowing MS to do the same if it were reversed. Now that I think of it, WHY are MS doing that? Silly.

The amount of users of streaming on MS servers from Son y players means that Sony will effectively be subsidising Microsoft's cloud services.

It's also amaIng how many people are unable to read the posts directly surrounding theirs to understand why people doubt PSNow, the reasons never change.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Every point you've made here is wrong btw.

Not really

Initially it really wan't any good

The controls was me getting mixed up because iOS didn't support controls until iOS13

You actually DO have to be on Wifi. It won't work on 4G (tethering being a loophole to fool it)

The Library thing was also true for a time. I have a PS TV and one of the warnings with the PS TV is that not every game supports Remote Play.

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
True, but then it still makes it a fact that Sony has been offering these things to consumers, and has for years.

That's why I don't get the people who cite 'XCloud' as a reason to be hyped for Xbox. It's literally been years that people have enjoyed that functionality.

Probably because when MS was showing off XCloud, they were doing it with games like Forza Horizon 4, providing the expectation that it'll actually be useful for games as they release and not only games that are years old that you've probably long since paid full price and beaten years prior to the being playable on the cloud service.

Basically the same reason people have been more excited for Gamepass than PSNow downloads.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
To answer OP's question - you do not need an Xbox to use XCloud, it will use MS servers. That's the main difference here.

There will however be a remote play option for people who do own an Xbox, similar to PS Now I guess. Though this option will be free.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
It was clear in the press release that Sony wasn't paying for Azure?

news.microsoft.com

Sony and Microsoft to explore strategic partnership - Stories

Companies to collaborate on new cloud-based solutions for gaming experiences and AI solutions TOKYO and REDMOND, Wash. — May 16, 2019 — Sony Corporation (Sony) and Microsoft Corp. (Microsoft) announced on Thursday that the two companies will partner on new innovations to enhance customer...

What I get from the press release is that Microsoft is providing Azure and Azure AI and that they will explore in the future the creation of semiconductors powered by azure. Where did you get Sony is providing something to Microsoft from that?
The semiconductor part? That's what they're getting from Sony.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
To answer OP's question - you do not need an Xbox to use XCloud, it will use MS servers. That's the main difference here.

There will however be a remote play option for people who do own an Xbox, similar to PS Now I guess. Though this option will be free.

Remote play is free on PS4 (and PC and other platforms that support it as long as you own a PS4). PlayStation Now is closer to the "you don't need a PS4/3/2" in order to play games part of what you said.

Just clarifying because what you said confused me at first and might confuse others :)

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

ps now is basically xcloud

and remote play, is what ms is trying to do now with making your xbox a server

basically both things already exist on ps4

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I've never used PSNow, does it sync your save across your PS4 version and the streamed version? Like if I were to play God of War on psnow can I pick up where I left off on my console? That's a major reason I'm interested in XCloud. If psnow also has it, I'll be quite interested in it next gen once they improve the resolution.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry I messed up. Your op was about remote play, that's what I meant. I mistakenly compared Ps now to remote play, they are indeed very different.

And yeah you're right, both things pretty much exist on ps4. Though I expect there will be some differences in the services.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

The difference is Microsoft is spending the cash in to making Xcloud the best in class and not just it works. I don't mean that as a slight on Sony's offerings but that is legit the only difference and that's why people are excited

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The difference is Microsoft is spending the cash in to making Xcloud the best in class and not just it works. I don't mean that as a slight on Sony's offerings but that is legit the only difference and that's why people are excited
i guess, but i guess we will see

but psnow is available now

xcloud is not, its a promise right now. We cant really say anything until we get our hands on it, hopefully soon

Synth

Oct 26, 2017
I've never used PSNow, does it sync your save across your PS4 version and the streamed version? Like if I were to play God of War on psnow can I pick up where I left off on my console? That's a major reason I'm interested in XCloud. If psnow also has it, I'll be quite interested in it next gen once they improve the resolution.

Not sure about PS4 games, but this definitely wasn't the case for PS3 titles. I tried out Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, and not only was my save not available, but neither was the DLC content I had purchased.

May be different for PS4 however, as PS3 wasn't exactly designed in a forward-thinking manner.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
PS now saves to the cloud, so yes you will be able to pick up and play on your home console. Just don't confuse PS now and remote play.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i guess, but i guess we will see

but psnow is available now

xcloud is not, its a promise right now. We cant really say anything until we get our hands on it, hopefully soon
I have played Xcloud at E3 it was very impressive the way you are wording this is that you think there is some chance it doesn't come out which is weird

Jan 4, 2018
Basically:

PS4 remote play: stream games from your PS4 as long as they are installed and you're on wifi.

xCloud free (let's call it like that because it doesn't have an official name I think): the same as remote play for PS4, not sure if it's required to be on wifi though

PSNOW: game streaming for a library of games available on the service (and download in some cases if you're on a PS4, but the subject of the thread is the streaming part) without need for a PS4. In that case the games are streamed from their datacenters. This is PS4 and PC only

xCloud not free: stream from MS datacenters for games you own, included but not limited to Game Pass. No console needed. At first mobile only with plans to bring to other platforms (not sure wich ones though for now. PC being the most likely, Switch rumored but I'm not sure Nintendo is willing to play ball, and well, they said they want it on as many platforms as possible so it's anyone's guess where it will end up. I'm pretty sure if Sony allowed it they'll be up to bring it to PS, but I seriously doubt Sony will ever accept, even less than Nintendo)

OP
OP
jorgejjvr

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have played Xcloud at E3 it was very impressive the way you are wording this is that you think there is some chance it doesn't come out which is weird
i know its coming out, its just that one product is actually out in the market, one is not

when both are out there doing their thing for everyone in the public, we can stack them against each other