Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I just had eggs for breakfast and I cracked them into the sink and gave them a good rinse before moving them into the pan 🥰

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I am a butcher by trade. Stop stuffing your turkey. Jesus Christ.

Hey, I'm not an advocate. It's not compatible with the best cooking techniques anyway. It can be done safely with proper temperature checks at several different locations but it's just not a good way to cook turkey meat. I'm just pointing out that it is still a common technique for many families.

Nov 2, 2017
Hey, I'm not an advocate. It's not compatible with the best cooking techniques anyway. It can be done safely with proper temperature checks at several different locations but it's just not a good way to cook turkey meat. I'm just pointing out that it is still a common technique for many families.

I posted the exact same thing about washing meat earlier, it was mostly a tongue in cheek callback.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
Do the meat washers take the crab, shrimp and lobster apart out of the shell and wash it first before cooking it?
I take the poop vein out of the shrimp before I cook it. Does that count?

Also some people eat shellfish shells, so you might want to condescendingly ask if they wash the shells to cover all your bases.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
I think I got some frozen scallops in the freezer past the 6 month mark. Need to get around to cooking them.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
My family's did this because we could not afford fresh meat, and bought stuff that was on sale to freeze it.
My question to you and others who quoted me: you would hold individual small packs of meat for up to two years? That feels like such an infrequent eating time unless you were buying whole cows' worth of meat.

let's take a look at what white people are up to in the kitchen

Ironically in my search of food poisoning rates along racial lines, while Black folks suffer more Salmonella poisoning at a whopping 2 folks per 100,000 a year, I found out whites are more likely to suffer symptomatic E.coli because they are just consuming pinker ground beef than other groups are?...

Sooooooo why don't you guys cook your ground beef all the way through?

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
What gets me about "it's science!" is that virtually everyone has *some* food safety rule(s) that they ignore or at least approach very casually. Sending kids to school with sandwiches in paper sacks, stuffing the bird on thanksgiving, the aforementioned consumption of raw cookie dough, keeping leftovers beyond two days or whatever it is, etc etc etc. Nobody here's an angel in the eyes of the FDA.
Thing is, people usually do unsanitary things with their food because doing things the "right way" is less convenient or less delicious. You accept some risk in return for a reward.

Your reward for taking the time and energy to wash your chicken is… more salmonella.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Ironically in my search of food poisoning rates along racial lines, while Black folks suffer more Salmonella poisoning at a whopping 2 folks per 100,000 a year, I found out whites are more likely to suffer symptomatic E.coli because they are just consuming pinker ground beef than other groups are?...

You think white folks know how to cook? Our top seasoning is salt and pepper

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
My question to you and others who quoted me: you would hold individual small packs of meat for up to two years? That feels like such an infrequent eating time unless you were buying whole cows' worth of meat.

This is something I'll never understand. Eating a medium or medium rare steak is preferable mainly because it's more tender and flavorful because it's not as dry. Ground beef is already tender and has fat mixed in with it too keep it juicy, there's absolutely no reason for less than well done burger.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
This is something I'll never understand. Eating a medium or medium rare steak is preferable mainly because it's more tender and flavorful because it's not as dry. Ground beef is already tender and has fat mixed in with it too keep it juicy, there's absolutely no reason for less than well done burger.
The muscular fibers in a well-done burger have squeezed out more flavorful juices - in the same way that a steak has flavorful juices - than a less cooked one.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Lol. Look up cannibal sandwiches for a rare treat.
I love me some cannibal sandwiches. What makes it even more interesting is that my uncle who supplies the ground beef for the cannibal sandwiches at Christmas buys it from a gas station. It's actually a really nice premium butcher at that gas station but still, it's raw ground beef from a gas station on rye with some onion. And I love it.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
There are 100% still plenty of people who do it.

www.allrecipes.com

Easy Beginner's Turkey with Stuffing

This Thanksgiving turkey and stuffing recipe is delicious and easy to make. It's great for beginner cooks, but experts will be just as impressed!

bL25BWu.png
If you just use half the amount of stuffing (loosely fill the cavity about halfway), you'll be fine.

The stuffing will reach 165°F without drying out the bird. If you brine the turkey beforehand, you don't even have to worry about the it drying out in the first place and can stuff normally. Most people don't tho, so just fill half loosely.

Edit* I don't speel gud

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of my coworkers recently had a trip to Italy, France, and Greece. She legit said authentic Italian food was trash, but she sees why it keeps you all thin.
I grew up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood in NY and never really liked Italian food until we had it in Italy. It's not like the food is extravagant or fancy but the ingredients were so good. Tomatoes, basil, pasta, etc... all tasted much better in Italy because the ingredients were better. I had some meals there that were nothing special but finding a good place was amazing and the food was a highlight of a great trip.

Oct 25, 2017

Yea, they think ground meat is the same as a whole cut of meat.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Lol and I explained why I did it. I hadn't cooked duck before so I put it off for a while until a special occasion and I was confident I could do it. Dirt simple and should've done it sooner of course haha

Freezers are the shit. You package things right, it's like a time-stasis machine. Except fresh basil. That needs to be processed a bit before freezing if you want it to still look like basil.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I grew up in a predominantly Italian neighborhood in NY and never really liked Italian food until we had it in Italy. It's not like the food is extravagant or fancy but the ingredients were so good. Tomatoes, basil, pasta, etc... all tasted much better in Italy because the ingredients were better. I had some meals there that were nothing special but finding a good place was amazing and the food was a highlight of a great trip.
To be honest, her report back was a shock to me. Granted, I have a wider palate than she does, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt and assume that, if I ever get a chance to go back, I'll be far happier with the cuisine lol.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
You think white folks know how to cook? Our top seasoning is salt and pepper
Don't forget about MSG!
Medium-well is the lowest I go. You're in damn risky territory on anything medium and under. Well unless you grind your own meat but I find the benefits don't outweigh the time to prepare.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Beef prices in Canada keep going up but there are still really good sales at certain times of year. Can buy a large roast and cut it up into several steaks to last for months.

Vacuum sealer + freezer = savings

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, her report back was a shock to me. Granted, I have a wider palate than she does, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt and assume that, if I ever get a chance to go back, I'll be far happier with the cuisine lol.
At least for us it was always a matter of finding places that locals ate at rather than the touristy places. Tons of sub-par and cheesy restaurants would be near the main tourist spots so it was a matter of getting a bit away from those. My wife and I got kind of lost and found an utterly amazing place our first night in Rome and ended up going back to the same place a few times. The downside was that the tiramisu was so good that the rest of the trip we'd get tiramisu hoping it would be comparable and it never was. Having that on the first day of a 2 week trip was a bit of a bummer.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Beef prices in Canada keep going up but there are still really good sales at certain times of year. Can buy a large roast and cut it up into several steaks to last for months.

Vacuum sealer + freezer = savings
My family buys meat in bulk too when we can help it, but we have never bought enough to last up to two years or longer in the freezer (for one, we don't have a freezer to fit that amount of meat). And honestly, the moment I see something with a date on it from a year ago, I toss it anyway under the assumption it's no good/freezer burnt.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all don't even use MSG because of anti-Asian racism.

It's literally my secret ingredient for anything savory. And it's so cheap and plentiful it honestly feels like I'm cheating when using it. Moreover, a little goes such a long way! Haha

I really hate that anti-asian crap spread about it. I don't even tell people I use it anymore because I'm tired of correcting people. Did that for years.

Yeah, some of my friends are dipshits especially the one that has her Masters and it's just like... are you even smart? Lol

Just enjoy the damn food I made you for free and to your specifications. But I ain't getting rid of the MSG! Even if I have to grab some from my pocket like sand when no one's looking.

Oct 25, 2017
My family buys meat in bulk too when we can help it, but we have never bought enough to last up to two years or longer in the freezer (for one, we don't have a freezer to fit that amount of meat). And honestly, the moment I see something with a date on it from a year ago, I toss it anyway under the assumption it's no good/freezer burnt.

2 years is extreme but I've kept a prime rib roast in the freezer for over 6 months. I just know it'll still be good within 2 years. If you vacuum seal it you won't get any freezer burn or anything.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
2 years is extreme but I've kept a prime rib roast in the freezer for over 6 months. I just know it'll still be good within 2 years. If you vacuum seal it you won't get any freezer burn or anything.
Exactly.

I would actually like to know how long a steak can be frozen for before ill-effect. I'm guessing something like 4 or 5 years? I noticed no difference whatsoever in a year, two years, I'm not scared to go further but, like, I'm gonna eat it before the one year mark almost assuredly lmao

I'm sure if I Google it, some wise fuck scientist probably tried this already. I think the most I've seen happen is a bit of color change? I'm colorblind so I'm not even sure.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Six months in the freezer is more in line with how long I would guess most of the bulk-buying population is sitting on frozen food for, especially if only because I presume they would be consuming the stuff in their freezer.

We've also never had a vacuum sealer. At most if we split it, it's put into separate Zip Locks.