RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I wash my meat, but never in my life would I have thought about washing meat for cooking. The most I'm doing other than seasoning is patting dry in some cases.

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
If I was blood bound to honor the ways of my parents I'd be overcooking the fuck out of eggs and beef

But I believe in doing better for the next generation so, unlike myself as a child, my kids will know the taste of med.rare steak and eggs that finished cooking on the plate, and their chicken will go unwashed

Deleted member 10780

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2022
www.cdc.gov

Foods that can cause food poisoning

Some foods are more likely to contain germs that can make you sick.

• You should not wash raw poultry or meat before cooking it, even though some older recipes may call for this step. Washing raw poultry or meat can spread bacteria to other foods, utensils, and surfaces, and does not prevent illness.

www.cdc.gov

Chicken and Food Poisoning

If chicken is on your menu, follow these tips to help prevent food poisoning.

Can't you just clean your sink after?

Small Red Boy

▲ Legend ▲
May 9, 2019
Can't you just clean your sink after?
Part of the problem is that you don't know where it splashes, you might see some drops but not others (might be super small and fly further than you think), so not all is going to go into the sink. And iirc it can also aerosolize, which would be even more problematic. I'll admit that I am more doubtful of this last point, but I am not an expert on aerosols lol.

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
The only meat that I wash is chicken and that's with a mixture of water, salt, vinegar and lemon/lime juice in a bowl. I'm not sure if people think people are washing meats like you'd go about washing dishes but it's mainly just leaving it to soak in the solution in a bowl and washing it off.

Got that from my parents and pretty much do the same thing I've learned.

The answers you're getting do not surprise me one bit generally, it's cultural differences.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
The only meat that I wash is chicken and that's with a mixture of water, salt, vinegar and lemon/lime juice in a bowl. I'm not sure if people think people are washing meats like you'd go about washing dishes but it's mainly just leaving it to soak in the solution in a bowl and washing it off.

The answers you're getting do not surprise me one bit generally, it's cultural differences.
If you are brining your chicken that is a completely different thing(something more people should be doing tbh, wet or dry brine, same with butterflying chicken breasts for even cooking), but if someone thinks it is removing food borne illnesses or "cleaning" the chicken, it's really not.

waterpuppy

Too green for a tag
Jul 17, 2021
This thread is amazing. Who knows where it will go next?

Thinking of hot tap water anywhere near my uncooked food is making me feel a little queasy tbh.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
chicken washers justifying why they still wash their chicken after repeatedly hearing it has zero positives
oceans12-laser-dance-scene.gif

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Wait, there are people that wash their meat before cooking it?
Whats the logic? What in the world could be so toxic that cooking wouldnt fix but simple washing with water would?

Also where you buying your meat if theirs "grime" on it?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston

...thats, thats called a marinade.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Cooking kills the bacteria. Washing it has no benefit and only spreads bacteria. The wet slop you want to wash off is the juice in the chicken when you take a bite.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Got some chicken thawing right now. Gonna be clean af before I cook it. Will report back to Era when I don't die 👍😁

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Oh give it a rest. The thread is quite clearly about supermarket meat which has no
need to be washed and the majority of the replies are about the same thing.
Yes, you should not wash meat in countries with strong food safety practices.

But some people do, especially in historically disadvantaged communities, because they have not always had access to "clean and safe" food, as has been explained in this thread. So to then come in and call them "stupid" for acting in response to a history of oppression and systematic racism is pretty distasteful. It is understandably hard to unlearn some of these lessons once they have been beaten into you.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, you should not wash meat in countries with strong food safety practices.

But some people do, especially in historically disadvantaged communities, because they have not always had access to "clean and safe" food, as has been explained in this thread. So to then come in and call them "stupid" for acting in response to a history of oppression and systematic racism is pretty fucking distasteful.

No, that's not what my post meant and it's not what the thread was about, not what most of the people commenting were speaking in the context of. Stop looking for something that isn't there.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's very much an Indian thing to do. My in laws still wash their chicken and do a quick rinse in vinegar and turmeric/milk. I can see why they did it because India has very different health standards than the US but when they do it for American style dishes the chicken just ends up being a sopping mess.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
No, that's not what my post meant and it's not what the thread was about, not what most of the people commenting were speaking in the context of. Stop looking for something that isn't there.
How is it not what your post meant or what this thread is about? People do this for various reasons, and you called them stupid for it. As has, again, been pointed out again and again. If that's not what you meant, please clarify.

It's not that hard to say "I spoke harshly on a topic I don't really fully understand, and I didn't mean to be insulting."

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
No, I don't wash it. All meat is different in its preparation and the only thing that's consistent is I will pay dry it with a paper towel.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
How is it not what your post meant or what this thread is about? People do this for various reasons, and you called them stupid for it. As has, again, been pointed out again and again. If that's not what you meant, please clarify.

It's not that hard to say "I spoke harshly on a topic I don't really fully understand, and I didn't mean to be insulting."

You know fine well it's not what my post (or similar ones from other people) meant. Stop looking for an excuse to parade you high horse about.

If this was a thread about "disadvantaged groups need to wash meat because they don't have access to clean water" then yeah. But it's not, and that doesn't need to be stated because it's obvious and quite clearly not what it meant.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
You know fine well it's not what my post (or similar ones from other people) meant. Stop looking for an excuse to parade you high horse about.

If this was a thread about "disadvantaged groups need to wash meat because they don't have access to clean water" then yeah. But it's not, and that doesn't need to be stated because it's obvious and quite clearly not what it meant.
Look, you're clearly more interested in proving that YOU didn't do anything wrong rather than being at all self reflective or understanding of what issues underprivileged communities have gone through that might inform their meat handling practices. If you actually want to educate yourself and, you know, be better, Nepenthe has made the relevant and insightful posts in this thread.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
ok, ok.

Real question.

Do you pee standing up? Not worried about pee splashing back all over your pants/face (splashes can go up to 6ft or something)?

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Here we go again...

As someone who's whole career relates to food science, foodborne illness, and food safety. Do not wash your chicken or raw meat.

I've found salmonella, campylobacter, and listeria spp. on ceilings and walls of commercial kitchens. Know why? One of the reasons I've been able to trace back was because people were washing raw meats and poultry. People do not notice every splash and how far they go.

As an added bonus, you literally gain nothing from doing this besides "feeling" better. Seasonings bind just fine to purge and fat, and if you are marinading, you'd be better off just using a disposable ziplock bag.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
What if I wash the container my chicken was marinating in and reuse that container for other stuff? I'm asking for a friend...

Siinova

Oct 29, 2017
If you are brining your chicken that is a completely different thing(something more people should be doing tbh, wet or dry brine, same with butterflying chicken breasts for even cooking), but if someone thinks it is removing food borne illnesses or "cleaning" the chicken, it's really not.
You are probably right but again its something that has been passed down for the people who do it from generations we've always done it. Whether it actually does anything is a different story but there is historical and cultural reference point to it. My parents and family come from the Caribbean islands we live in Canada now but these are things that they learned from living there and have brought over with them (while also teaching us these things). You clean your chicken then you go about seasoning it and other stuff afterwards. I'm going to presume that most of the posters who do or have done it come from a black household like myself where we have been taught to do this.

FunkyStudent

Jan 28, 2019
Here we go again...

As someone who's whole career relates to food science, foodborne illness, and food safety. Do not wash your chicken or raw meat.

I've found salmonella, campylobacter, and listeria spp. on ceilings and walls of commercial kitchens. Know why? One of the reasons I've been able to trace back was because people were washing raw meats and poultry. People do not notice every splash and how far they go.

As an added bonus, you literally gain nothing from doing this besides "feeling" better. Seasonings bind just fine to purge and fat, and if you are marinading, you'd be better off just using a disposable ziplock bag.
And there you have it.

The cultural reasons why people have washed their meat make complete sense and I get wanting people to be more sensitive of this context, but people doubling down on continuing to do it is wild.

spindashing

Oct 25, 2017
Queens, New York
My Haitian mother taught me to wipe the chicken down with a lime/lemon then drench it a little with vinegar afterwards... I couldn't imagine not doing that with chicken that I prepare.