Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Pretty cool honestly. I see people saying they hope Bezos experience is better. What's so much different than what this was? Isn't bezos just going up to a similar distance to experience a few minutes of weightlessness as well? Only difference is the means to get up there correct?
You get to ride in a giant penis.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty cool honestly. I see people saying they hope Bezos experience is better. What's so much different than what this was? Isn't bezos just going up to a similar distance to experience a few minutes of weightlessness as well? Only difference is the means to get up there correct?
Bezos is leaving the atmosphere is the main difference I believe

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get why their billing this as going to space? He didn't pass the Karman line. I know the US defines it differently but that only changed a decade and half and was to basically give more people their astronaut wings. The entire world uses the Karman line otherwise.

It's def cool and a awesome achievement but it's not for anybody that's not a millionaire. doesn't have much value and has environmental issues. Space X and Blue Origin seem far more useful to doing things in space.

Just screams vanity

Deleted member 73234

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2020
This Blue Origin tweet is in the OP.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
they were not in space, it was a really cool sub-orbital flight.

were they actually "wieghtless", or was it a better version of the vomit comet?
It's the same type of weightlessness in the vomit comet and in the ISS, if you are in freefall you will experience weightlessness, and objects in orbit are in free fall.

Deleted member 73234

Banned
Jun 27, 2020
Ah shit, I had no idea. I thought this took them higher than that.

Ok well ignore my previous post.
That Blue Origin tweet doesn't mention length of flight though, so I assume it's a similar up then down quickly. At least they can pass that arbitrary 100km line. (Also, to me, getting to say you rode a rocket is inherently cooler, ha)

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
I still don't get why their billing this as going to space? He didn't pass the Karman line. I know the US defines it differently but that only changed a decade and half and was to basically give more people their astronaut wings. The entire world uses the Karman line otherwise.

It's def cool and a awesome achievement but it's not for anybody that's not a millionaire. doesn't have much value and has environmental issues. Space X and Blue Origin seem far more useful to doing things in space.

Just screams vanity

couldn't agree more, and this is the problem I have with it lol

bezos' flight next week is also vanity, but at least blue origin has an eventual plan to go to orbit and a clear path there (in that they're already working on larger rockets). spacex is already putting people onto the iss. virgin's concept just... does this. this is all it is. this is, probably, all it will ever be.

even if you eventually want to do real space tourism (space hotels, orbit, what have you), nothing about this helps you get there. it's a dead end.

That Blue Origin tweet doesn't mention length of flight though, so I assume it's a similar up then down quickly. At least they can pass that arbitrary 100km line. (Also, to me, getting to say you rode a rocket is inherently cooler, ha)

the entire flight itself is shorter because you don't have to do the climb in the airplane, but the amount of weightlessness is supposedly around 4m for both

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather take a Dragon tbh. Not just the experience but the safety.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
How many sub orbital flights launched by a civilian company with civilian/s onboard can you list?
It's sub orbital now, it'll be orbital one day.
There is a mission with civilians in September on board SpaceX's Dragon that will stay 3 days in orbit sooo...
Also Tom Cruise is scheduled to go to the ISS in a year/year and a half, also on Dragon.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To ride in an actual rocket, if you're spending that much money you might as well feel like a real astronaut

Deleted member 73234

Banned
Jun 27, 2020
The production around this reminds me of esports. Like Branson just made it to the round of 8 as a foreign protoss.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017

eh seems high enough to me, that kind of view has generally been my expectation of a trip to space

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
even if you eventually want to do real space tourism (space hotels, orbit, what have you), nothing about this helps you get there. it's a dead end.
How do you know that though, that's assuming there will be no iterations on the space craft itself, what about version 2, 3 and so on which improves on this design, that can go higher, stay longer, carry more payload etc?

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
couldn't agree more, and this is the problem I have with it lol

bezos' flight next week is also vanity, but at least blue origin has an eventual plan to go to orbit and a clear path there (in that they're already working on larger rockets). spacex is already putting people onto the iss. virgin's concept just... does this. this is all it is. this is, probably, all it will ever be.

the entire flight itself is shorter because you don't have to do the climb in the airplane, but the amount of weightlessness is supposedly around 4m for both
blue origin does actually go to space too aren't they doing basically what alan sheppard did?

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Bezo spaceship doesn't seem to have a pilot as it flies automatically, but you definitely get more of the NASA experience with that one

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
In my opinion, these billionaires should all battle for space. This shit is the only thing bringing mankind "back" into advancing further into space, after NASA had to throw the towel (till Musk came along).
Next step is probably lucrative mining of new ore on the moon, for (evil) mega corps who would pour billions into it. But I'll take it, to see all this stuff in my lifetime.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
How do you know that though, that's assuming there will be no iterations on the space craft itself, what about version 2, 3 and so on which improves on this design, that can go higher, stay longer, carry more payload etc?

none of the things you are asking about can be done by magic, though. like, if you're making a "better" virgin galactic spaceplane that can carry a meaningful payload into orbit, you need to make it capable of orbital re-entry (heat shielding and all) while also increasing thrust and size. all of those things take weight. which means you have to be able to lift a heavier object. which means you need to have a significantly bigger/better cargo aircraft to lift it with. at some point, this just... stops being viable, and you have to either make a spaceplane that takes off on its own power from a runway (and there are some plans for this) or you have to strap it to a rocket.

because branson's ship is carried to higher altitudes by an airplane, it is inherently limited by that airplane. a rocket isn't.

blue origin does actually go to space too aren't they doing basically what alan sheppard did?

basically, yeah - they're going above the internationally recognized karman line, but not entering orbit. for me, that's still "vanity" because there's orbit and there's not, but it at least has slightly more significance

obin_gam

Oct 25, 2017
SollefteĂĄ, Sweden
Next step is probably lucrative mining of new ore on the moon, for (evil) mega corps who would pour billions into it. But I'll take it, to see all this stuff in my lifetime.
1024px-Planetary_resources.svg.png

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I feel out of Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin, Virgin Galactic would be more fun to experience, even if it doesn't go as high and isn't like your typical space flight. There's something about the somersault and the glide back down, in that style of craft, that looks super cool to me. Seems like it would be excilerating and then relaxing as you make your way back down.

The livestream was a bit cringy, and it sucked not being able to see inside due to the camera issues, and although it definitely felt like it was too focused on Richard and his super fun day out into "space" (but congratulations to him regardless), I'm super glad it happened. The more billionaires we have doing this, and the more companies getting in on it, the better in my opinion.

Yeah this is basically just a super expensive theme park ride, but I'm down for stuff like this to exist and become more common, and for more regular folk to have a chance of experiencing it.

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
seeing as very likely we are going to be the ones ruining the earth does our species deserve to survive after we destroy this place? Especially when we'll just go on and ruin some where else?
Mistakes from our fathers etc. Yes we as a species are responsible, but we're also doing alot to fight global warming.

Not everything has to be negative all the time. We're capable of learning from our mistakes.

Even if we get a Trump here and there.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
For all the discussion of "Was it space or not?" it's kinda meaningless (and the weird Blue Origin tweet about "96% of the world's population", wtf are they talking about?)

NASA, USAF (which is why NASA changed), and the very guy the line is named after, Kármán, would all say Branson is an Astronaut now. Plus some others:

From the wiki:
Wikipedia said:
Recent works by Jonathan McDowell (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics)and Thomas Gangale (University of Nebraska-Lincoln) advocate that the demarcation of space should be at 80 km (50 miles; 260,000 feet), citing as evidence von Kármán's original notes and calculations (which concluded the boundary should be 270,000 ft), confirmation that orbiting objects can survive multiple perigees at altitudes around 80 to 90 km, plus functional, cultural, physical, technological, mathematical, and historical factors.

In short, it's unimportant and just another "Nuh uh, my billionaire is actually going to go to space!" contest.

Beyond all that it's not like there's a floating sign up there that says "Welcome to Space!", it's all gradual anyways so it just comes down to how you want to define the edge.

In the end the more important stuff will come down to how each company's launch method can be used and advanced.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Branson's ship looks way more practical than Bezos' for passenger travel.

I agree. Tbh I actually found Virgin Galactic's take off and "space entry" tactics to be pretty fucking cool to watch lol. I hadn't seen anything like that before. Branson's "you can do anything!" speech was cringey as fuck though.

Best thing coming out of all this though is the sodium overload Bezos is experiencing.

papertowel

Nov 6, 2017
When they start calling all airline passengers 'Captains', then I consider him an 'astronaut'.
aeronauts would probably make more sense than captain

I think as space tourism maybe becomes a thing, the term astronaut will evolve into meaning a person whos job it is to go to space, rather than the current definition which is just anybody who goes up real high.

Last edited:

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Billionaires pumping billions into their vanity projects but selling them as somehow beneficial to the entire human race, you love to see it.